Reviews by Eliza

Eliza's avatar
    Eliza

Happy Heart by Clinique

It's fresh; almost as fresh and fragrant as strawberries. I'm on a search right now for strawberry in perfume... have to get some more L'Interdit. Happy heart freshens me up especially when my husband frys steak and the house smells like it.

Blonde woods for the base? I don't know what that is, but I like it. I thought it had pine needles and mango; thought I read that somewhere and I don't see it listed in the notes. It's easy to wear unlike some complex fragrances that are great, but take so much more figuring out. My bottle has lasted 3 years and still going. Don't wear it often, but when i do I say to myself: glad I still have some left.

16 October, 2012

Tobacco & Tulle by Soivohle (Liz Zorn)

The$ 8.00 sample goes a long way, but once applied it doesn't stay on as long as I'd like it too. Maybe because I'm comparing the strength of it to a Caron extract which lingers and lasts longer than this Tobacco and Tullie. I love the smell of it although I can't pull out individual scents from it as the more experienced can.

At the end of a few hours I get a cinnamon like after smell. Don't know what it is...not bad, just don't know where it came from. I love tobacco scents and I could wear this every day and by the way it's a great scent for windy March weather. Just wondering if it's worth it... as I need to wear a lot of it.

For my 2 samples I sent for they threw in a 3rd one to try! Nice surprise The Meerschaum was the other sample I got and I liked it one day, but one night I applied it and the incense came out- some charred meat smell... have to finish the sample to learn in more, but that one as some tobacco in it too (that's why I wanted to try it). This Tobacco Tulle is sweeter than the Meerschaum- must be the tuberose that mixes well with it.

01st April, 2012

Madeline by Ava Luxe

It smells the greatest at Thanksgiving and Christmas time, although I wear it year round. Reminds me of Pumpkin spice in the spice isle of the grocery store with some milky notes added. I'm not too fond of the milky cream notes, just so they don't get too strong. I love this scent. I only got the small thing of it, but it lasts forever which is nice to have in a perfume to get a lot of mileage out of it.

Do you love spice? This is it for you.

12 November, 2011

Habanita by Molinard

I got the EDT version although I'd like to have the EDP, yet I couldn't find it online to buy. Like Slane said- it resembles Habit Rouge. I love them both- Habit Rouge and Habanita. Got this sweater with fake fur on the collar and it kept in the scent all day long. Just think what real fur collars would do for the longevity of a scent!

Is there really rose in the middle notes? This perfume is so comforting, so glad I finally purchased it.

12 November, 2011

Fig Wood / Bois de Figue by Ava Luxe

It reminds me of wood. Just wood. It's ok. I like the little boxes the 5 mls come in. It was a blind buy for me which I hardly ever fall for. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. You have any perfumes like that?

now it's Oct 2012... I didn't know I already put up a short review in this! This is a cooler weather scent and doesn't work well in warm weather. It's October now and it works. Doesn't take much to dab on (I whisk it all over my face, hair, back of neck... arms. Lasts 2 hours then you need to reapply which is ok, since this 5ml last a long time. It's very nutty , sweet and fig like. I like to go online and re read the ingredients because I don't pick up on al lot of them, yet glad to know they are in there.

Why can't that lady produce samples? You got to blind buy everything. I got this one when I ordered Madeline and I do like Madeline except for the milky notes. The price is right; so right that I can try another blind buy . Definitely a fall weather scent.

12 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2012)

Lily & Spice by Penhaligon's

Some perfumes go so well with coffee. This stands alone and isn't a one that compliments coffee , in fact, I try to drink tea when wearing this. I love this perfume. As mentioned in the reviews above; it doesn't change over the course of wearing it- it doesn't have to! It's fine with the same fresh lily likeness all the day through. Really reminds me of a big beautiful lily corsage.

25 April, 2011

Fauve by Essentially Me

Before I looked at the notes on this one, I could not figure out or pinpoint what it was about. It was wearable and I liked it; too bad it didn't have a lot of lasting power to it. I was thinking the blend contained Lavender and evergreens. Some scents need a lot of exploration and this is one of them. It could be something that would grow on me as some perfumes have proven; only time can tell.

Chypre by Essentially Me

For the first 10 minutes I suffered through something bitter and medicinal . this one isn not for me. I love to read the notes: violets, tobacco, and oakmoss , but I couldn't detect them when I wore Chypre. It does develop into something woody and rose like which is nice, yet the first part of it was unpleasant for me.

White Blooms by Essentially Me

I do like this one very much probably because I love all white flowers. I've smelled this before, but didn't know it was the champac flower that brought the enjoyment to my nose. Woke up in the morning with it still noticeable which is a plus for good staying power. I didn't know there was any vanilla in it till I read about it in the ingredients. If I was in the market for a white flower- I'd buy a bottle, but I got that huge big tuberose from L' Artisian, so I'm all white flowered up right now.

If you're a white flower lover, you'll take to this. It makes you smile and cheers you up.

Amber by Essentially Me

This one is too light for me after trying Sauk and Tango. Had to re-apply it a lot in one day, but once I had enough on, it seemed like a husky jasmine which was nice. It wears easy- good for when you want to take a break from your heavier perfumes. If I had a bigger sample I might be saying other things... it takes awhile to understand any one given fragrance, especially when they take time to blend and are more complex like this line is.

Souk by Essentially Me

This was my 2nd favorite (Tango was the first). It comes on strong for 15 minutes- leather? Patchouli? I couldn't pin point it, but it was strong! Has an Indian name and Indian strength at the beginning, but it goes away and turns into something quiet for awhile until a few hours goes by and it's rich and beautiful.

Incense was prominent. I put a lot on my cotton clothes so when my body heats up, the cotton holds it for a longer time than just putting it on my skin. After about 5 hours of wearing this, it morphed into something rich and beautiful. Whatever it was, it fully developed and I was thoroughly enjoying it.

This one takes a while to develop and it's worth waiting for and I like that sweet richness. I'd like to own this one.

Classique by Essentially Me

This is the first one I tried of all the samples in the collection. I like it but it doesn't grab me as something new and shocking. It envelopes me and lasts a few good hours. Reminds me of Lady Stentson, yet better quality, yes, it smells of high grade ingredients. How does it make me feel? elegant and real lady like. All the notes are blended and to me, nothing stands out on it's own, but it's a good blend that's likable. The longer I wear this, the more I like it; floral and spicy is how I'd describe it. I could get used to this in my perfume wardrobe.

Kuan Yin by Essentially Me

Before I saw the notes online here's what I wrote: I like the way the mandarin /orange weaves it's way through this scent. It blends with the cedar and leather scents for the first 10 minutes. There are flowers in here too, yet I can't pinpoint them. It warms up to a spicy flower combo after an hour.

After I saw the notes online here's what I wrote: The orange-like scent must have been the osmanthus flower because this flower is supposed to resemble apricots from what I read about it. This is likable and wearable for me; a good "go out in public" perfume, an everyday one that I can wear all day and not get tired of it.

I

Tangos by Essentially Me

I was lucky enough to get 10 samples to try and guess what? This one got the blue ribbon at my own in-home personal state fair exhibition. I have to own this. This one reminded me of hunks of chocolate. Chocolate isn't in the notes that are given, but that's what I smell after an hour as it heats up on me. Maybe it's the rich tobacco leaf and violet combination that is giving me this chocolate sensation. I don't know, can't figure it out, but I do love it.

The tobacco is well blended, like Habit Rouge's tobacco. Cherry pipe tobacco was coming through at one point. One thing about all this whole line is that it is has to smolder and set, which makes for a good wearing of whatever it is.

On the Essentially Me Website it says something about a dark haired lady in Argentina wearing this. I'm here to tell you that I look plain as Patty Duke in her 1950's series and this one's for me! I could saturate myself in Tango and I'd apply it to my cold weather jacket too.

La Joupe by Essentially Me

The vetiver overwhelmed me and I'm not a vetiver lover. I think others who enjoy Coco by Channel will savor this one since it's so similar. I'm putting a thumbs up for the rich type of fragrance this is, but my own personal preference isn't a thumbs up, because this type of fragrance depresses me; maybe it's the vetiver and woods combined together. The whole bunch of notes come on strong go away suddenly in a 2 hours time instead of lingering .

Trade Wind by Essentially Me

This one wasn't to my personal liking, but it was still blended well. It does make you think of the outdoors being in the wind. A little too green and medicinal for me, seems more for a man, although I did enjoy testing it. When I first put it on I could not pinpoint any given specific notes in it. When I saw the notes online it was interesting to see all that goes into a perfume creation.

The funny thing about perfume is that some that you don't like at first can be ones you treasure later. I've had a few where that has been the case.

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

I love this on me and I smell my shirt often when I wear this. Couldn't detect the cedar, only read about it in the above reviews, but it's now wonder, I love Debut by Delrae and that has cedar in it too that I didn't detect. Fendi was my first cedar note encounter years ago.

It's strong and resembles the smell of L'Orgin by Coty, my favorite of all times, so you see why I like it? I can't explain the notes as do previous reviewers; I can only tell you why I enjoy it so much. You learn a lot about yourself when you discover the smells and notes in a perfume, which must mean I love the way he puts the Patchouli in there.

So that is jasmine I'm smelling? I feel so pretty when wearing this. The hot flashes come and give off a sweet spicy whiff of this lovely concoction. I'm not minding hot flashes when I wear this one, but will have to watch how much I put on if I'm in close quarters with many people. Just for around the house I go full strength and put up my hair pretty while wearing this. It goes good with drinking coffee too.

It seems there is a lot of orange in there which makes it never seem ho hum. I keep my bottle in the box it came in with the hand signed signature of Andy Tauer.

20th March, 2010

L'Interdit (original) by Givenchy

This is beautiful . Bought a little bottle on ebay a few years ago, which was one of my first perfumes as I started collecting. It's strong, yet airy, like a soprano voice hitting a high c in singing. This little bottle was only only 5.00 on Ebay when I bought it. Wish all my finds were like that! It's an oil. When I first got it, I kept smelling lots of urine ... now 3 yrs later I don't smell the urine. I fits me totally because it's so feminine and that's what I want to be.

08 March, 2010

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

I love this, but it's so light that sometimes I can't smell it so good. When I can smell it, I get whiffs of dirt and I like that, combined with violets, although it's kind of faint. I think I like violets in leather and patchouli. Isn't it neat to find out through scents what you go for the most? The more you try, the more you get your own preferences to come forward.

08 March, 2010

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio

It's so reasonably priced (as of last year 09) and I wanted some tobacco scent on my vanity table, so I got a sample. The sample was great. I bought it and realized a little goes a long way and I'm one for the more the better, not so with Tabac Aurea. It is strong, but some days you need a switch from your other perfumes and you reach for this one. I wish there was something else in the bottle along with all the tabac smell. Maybe lavender or hay and citrus, I don't know... it needs something powdery to complete it.

10th January, 2010

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

I'll tell you what I got with wearing this- old book pages in a library vanilla and I loved it. I'm going to own this some day (I hope). I sit down on the sofa and wear this as I read a book and it's so comforting to me. Funny thing how some different perfumes evoke different states of minds. This one makes me feel comfortable and it's a fragrance unlike any of the floral ones. I just love it as it does remind me of autumn.

OK, now that I own it... the first 6 minutes are hard to get through, since something in there doesn't smell pretty. If I'm patient, it unfolds into something I like to wear. I can really smell this one on me. It's that vanilla ( I think) kind of a mustiness goodness.

10th January, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

Coco by Chanel

I wore this 20 some years ago , but it changed. It's stronger but in a negative way for me. I'm not happy when I wear this. It smothers me and makes me sad and I don't know why. My husband shelled out 60.00 for it as a present and I could not tell him I didn't like it... There is a secret to this although, spray lightly. As colors have different hues and shades, so does perfume and this is not a pastel! It's a dark hue.

10th January, 2010

Tabac Blond by Caron

I think I love it almost as much as L'Origin. I love the current one , but the vintage one is much better because I detect a motor oil scent in there that Iove. Is it castro something? That animal scent? I don't know. The "motor oil" smell is so rich and beautiful that I could just inhale this for a full hour.

01st November, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2010)

Amoureuse by Delrae

I was politely thanked for "coming over to my table to meet me" (at a dinner) which was a way to get rid of me because of me having this perfume on which was a little too much for them during their meal. Oh well, I love this perfume and just have to spray lighter.

09 June, 2009

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

There's a lot of oud and a lot of roses in this and if you have a couple of the other montale ouds, then they will last longer. That is how I look at it. I bought this on Ebay for a good price. Why would someone sell this for such a fair price! It's meant to be kept, not sold.

26 April, 2009

Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

I sent a sample to my mother who has always worn Shalimar and she ordered a bottle! I did too. I guess I like sweet myrrh and a citrus combination more than I knew I did. Addictive is right (someone said that in the reviews). I wish more bottles were dark so you can set them on your vanity and not have to worry about sunlight getting to the juice.

26 April, 2009

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

I have a sweater with a fur collar and whenever I put some Cuir Pleine Fleur on, I was wearing that sweater with the fake fur collar. They went well together. This grew on me and when the sample was used up, I decided I could possible own a bottle someday!
    I smelled a lot of birch and some leather but my nose isn't good enough to detect anything else in it.

Miracle So Magic! by Lancôme

Narcissus is what I remember of this . I have it although I don't pull it out much anymore. I enjoy wearing it in January and February specifically for the narcissus clear note I get after a while which is so wonderful in the dead of February. Sometimes it's a little sweet for me. I bought this for only 14.00 at a discount store and had not previously tested it. It was a good buy all around.

Fig Tea by Nicolaï

I just plain loved this fig smell. It's something for an every day perfume.

Metalys / Metallica by Guerlain

I was right, there is carnation in there. Someone sent this along with something else I won on E-bay. It was a pleasant surprise, but I don't know if I'm sampling the EDT or EDP? If that is vanilla in there, it is a real different vanilla from what I am used to in Shalimar. This vanilla is oh so light.

I feel pretty and feminine in this scent! Must be the orange that I like so well.