Reviews by carlos-uk

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

18th Dec 19
I've had a couple of weeks with this bottle now and had some time to evaluate further. I think one word (or rather name) sums up this fragrance now as opposed to that very first bottle I ever bought and that word is IFRA. Whilst I do still love this fragrance, it almost pains me to admit that this is a faded shadow of what it once was. It has been hobbled severely and the only culprit I can find is those bloody IFRA Standards. I still love it at it's core but the REAL wow factor that it used to have is sadly gone - and let me say, you will either know what I'm talking because you had a bottle of the older stuff or you won't. You may love it now and think it is amazing but I promise you, you have not experienced this at it's finest and likely never will.

02nd Dec 19
I can remember pretty much every detail of my first experience with this because it was that significant to me. I bought it blind, mail order and it was one of the 30ml bottles (they no longer do) because my budget couldn’t stretch any further. I’d read numerous articles relating the names of famous wearers and thought ‘this must be some good shit’.

I’d had it delivered to work but left early the previous day so missed it arriving. On my way in the following morning, I stopped by the post room and picked up the package. I was a smoker at the time so made my way to the area designated for toxic outlaws like me and as it was still early, there was nobody else around. I hastily got the box open stopping only for a moment to admire the bottle and cap. In an instant I got the first spray out onto the back of my hand, held my hand up to my nose and everything changed. Everything I thought I knew about fragrance went out of the window in one breath. I’d never smelled anything of this quality before. Did I expect it to have a Cool Water vibe? Of course I did but I never expected anything quite as incredible as this. Multi-faceted, layered, complex and yet transparent, refined and reserved. It almost shouts politely.

To say there is no difference between this and Cool Water is pure ignorance. The two are undeniably similar but it’s the detail. It’s like comparing a fake Rolex to the real thing. At first glance they may look identical but on closer examination, the differences become not only apparent but blatantly obvious.

To date this is my favourite Creed. I went on to try Millisime Imperial, loved it but wasn’t bowled over by how light it was. I then went for Royal Water, also nice but it just didn’t seem like something I would wear.

I’ve sampled others; Erolfa, Virgin Island Water, Original Vetiver, Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya, Original Santal (and of those Silver Mountain Water and Himalaya stand out the most as being truly excellent) but none of them had the same effect on me as Green Irish Tweed.

Is it Green? Yes. Irish? God knows. Tweed? Utter nonsense. Who cares??

I recently revisited with a new bottle and there has been a change for sure and I think it’s the Peppermint that stands out in the current version. Never-the-less it still has that thing about it that just does it for me.

To date, and after some 20+ years of being a fragance enthusiast, this remains my Holy Grail fragrance, the one I’d take to the desert island if I had to pick only one and it wouldn’t even be a hard choice. That may change but it’s about 15 years since I first smelled this and nothing has even come close since.

To liken it to others; yes there’s Cool Water, also Freshman by Truefitt and Hill but it is the quality of this that really stands it apart.
02nd December, 2019 (last edited: 18th December, 2019)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

The initial spray is CINNAMON!!!!! and it stays that way for about 15 minutes before it edges off and the Patchouli starts to come through. At this point it has a striking resemblance to Givenchy Gentleman (Original) and then later in the dry down has a hint of Givenchy Pi thrown in.

It is potent stuff even in its current formulation. 1 spray is there in the background. 2 brings it forward and present but well mannered. 3 will likely cause offence.
12th November, 2019

Rochas Man by Rochas

Well this was certainly a pleasant surprise. Do you remember a few years back when it seemed every mens fragrance was basically liquid Vanilla? For me it got very old very fast. This totally has Vanilla in it but it's done so well here.

First off out of the bottle it reminds me of Herrera 212 Sexy Man which is Vanilla with what I always thought of as an odd B.O type note. I'm sure that works wonders on some but it didn't on me and coupled with the persistence of the Vanilla, it was a wasted blind buy. This is more refined and the dry down really is very nicely done. The Vanilla is always there but it's augmented and softened by the other notes. What this fragrance has done (which no other of it's kind has achieved so far) is given me a Vanilla scent I can both wear and enjoy.

I think you could easily wear this daily but it's also a great special occasions type scent. Being a "Gourmand" type scent it begs for a night out in a Tux or decent shirt/suit combo and precisely because it is just that bit more subdued/refined than others of a similar vein, it wears so easily and without being annoying. Katie Puckrik has done a great review of this on her YouTube channel.

Longevity of this is no problem for me at all.

I'm really pleased with this. A Vanilla scent I can wear, at last. It may have taken until 2019 to get there but I did it in the end. This is cheap to buy so give it a spin on a night out and see what happens.
19th June, 2019

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

I'm genuinely surprised by this. It was a blind buy and based on the reviews I was expecting something with an Eau Sauvage/Chanel Pour Monsieur/Monsieur de Givenchy vibe. What I get is something I have smelled a number of times before on others (though not recently) and it is certainly a sweet fragrance. The Geranium stands out for me with a citrus top and just a touch of woody spice underpinning it. Honestly I've been searching for something I've smelled on others and thought this might be it. It isn't but it's still very nice.

I'm surprised this is an 84 fragrance though understand it will have changed since then but if fruity, sweet, floral is your bag, give it a go.
30th May, 2019

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Lavender....basically. It's Eau de L'Occitan done a bit quieter and with softer edges. Nice enough but not mind blowing. The dry down has some mild interest in it but again, not mind blowing. Based on the reviews I had high hopes for this but alas this is not 'the one'. The search continues....
20th May, 2019

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

Sweet, fruity almost Ice Creamy. It reminds me a little of a Bijan fragrance though I can't quite place it.

As with my review of Jake, here in the UK these fragrances aren't as common so you really don't tend to find EVERYBODY wearing the same thing. That dubious honour went to the likes of CK1 or Le Male, both of which were bearable but all too often over applied to the point of offense....and in the latter case, still are in 2018 by 40 somethings still convinced that it has some sort of hypnotic power over others. Sad really.

Anyway, no this is not one of those fragrances where you will hear people commenting on the quality of the essential oils used because it is totally synthetic but perfectly nice never-the-less. I would envisage this being wearable anywhere you want to smell good.

In summary, fruity and creamy. Borderline edible. Lovely.

28th November, 2018

Jake by Hollister

A very clean, light fragrance with a fresh vibe. It reminds me of the old Wings for men by Giorgio Beverly Hills fragrance but without the Plum note that always used to damage the potential for me.

Lots of talk here on this being a 'High School' fragrance so will guess these originate from America. Hollister is here in the UK of course but I don't think it's ever been as huge as it in America which is a bit of shame.

This is my first Hollister fragrance and though I'm 40, I don't feel any issues with wearing this. Yes it's a youthful style but that shouldn't exclude anybody from wearing this whatever their age.

The Blue glass embossed bottle is attractive also. I have to say I do like this and if you're looking for something suitable for school, work or play and you don't want something overly heavy, give this a try. It's defenitely a summery vibe and given that it's November and currently lashing down outside, it's a welcome interruption.
28th November, 2018

Brut by Fabergé

There was always a bottle of this floating around during my childhood and following a recent article I read about the comeback of these scents with the young hipster types I thought why not?

In the UK the most common products you see are the Antiperspirant, deodorant and the 100ML glass bottle Aftershave. I had bought the Antiperspirant some months ago. I quite liked it but moved on. So yesterday after having only smelled Brut Aftershave as a child I finally wore it. It's nowhere near as strong as I remember but that's not totally a bad thing in my view. There are some similarities to Rive Gauche Pour Homme but understand they are similar in the way a Timex can be modelled on a Rolex but they will never be equal in detail.

So it is with Brut. That classic smell is there but very much toned down from what I remember. Am I crazy about it? Not really. I've smelled better but I've certainly smelled worse. I slapped some more on again today before I went out. As I was walking down the street I could smell it around me. It was pleasant enough but that's all. I think this is a try-it-for-yourself fragrance. You may love it, you may loathe it or may just be OK with it. For me personally, it was good enough for Elvis who apparently used so much of it you could smell him before he walked into the room. So, if he liked it, it can't be all bad.

07th August, 2018

Homme by Marks and Spencer

The bottle may have changed from the one pictured to an all Gold affair but certainly the scent is a near dead ringer for Paco Rabanne's 1 Million. If anything it's ever so slightly toned down which actually makes it much more enjoyable for me. The M&S website describe it thus:

This masculine and dynamic fragrance opens with a burst of mandarin, grapefruit and mint scents. Warm and spicy aromatic middle notes amber and patchouli with a deep leathery signature base.

Not entirely sure I pick up Leather or Patchouli but for the price it's a very nice fresh fragrance which can currently be had for £18 for 100ml.
17th April, 2017

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Superbly rendered Vetiver that really does leave the likes of Guerlain smelling like a curious relic. I can't agree that the two are all that close as some have suggested. Where Guerlain's Vetiver dries down to that unpalatable "old man" smell, this settles down to a soapy grass with just a touch of sweet.

There is something on the edge of this fragrance that mid way through really sings and it's so, so good. I once had a bottle of L'Artisan Parfumeur's Vetiver (the original one) and it was so bitter and cloying to my nose. Tom Ford's starts off like a muted version of that but the development is where it takes a different direction and what a direction.

This becomes like a second skin on me and I'm sitting here as I'm typing on some sort of perfume-high as it gently drifts up from my chest.

There really is nothing more I can add that hasn't already been written. You pay a premium for this but you can smell the quality throughout.

I think I'd have to agree with a previous reviewer who suggested this should now be considered the reference Vetiver.

This review is for the EDP version.
03rd September, 2016

Happy for Men by Clinique

I was going to start this review by saying something like "if only this were stronger" but it isn't, it likely never will be unless they release an EDT edition (17 years later.....yeah.....not happening!).

But seriously (was an album by Phil Collins) this is a beauty of a fragrance and for me has some striking similarities to Ultraviolet for men by Paco Rabanne and yet I'm not able to spot any matches in the pyramids of the two fragrances. Meh....life is weird.

What I do know is that it's really very nice indeed. Very bright and sparkling. Another reviewer used the word "watery" to describe the smell and I think this is a very apt description.

I'm not thrilled about paying the better part of £50 for an EDC strength fragrance with well documented longevity issues.....so I'll carry it in my man bag and spray myself frequently like Mr Wint in Diamonds are Forever. The difference will be that I won't smell like a "tarts handkerchief". Though I have to say that Longevity on me comes in at around 7 hours with 5 or 6 sprays in the morning. As for Sillage, if I can smell it, I'm sure others cans as well.

The sprayer on this isn't great I must admit. The cloud it sprays isn't as fine as some I've tried and at this price point that is also a negative.

Great for the younger crowd but not exclusive to them. Some of us are young at heart with no plans to change any time soon. Grab yourself a bottle from a reputable source as there are fakes of this online (eBay, Amazon etc).
31st May, 2016 (last edited: 02nd June, 2016)

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

The UK version of this is called "Fresh Laundry" but has the same colour Blue background on the label.

This is a pretty decent approximation of what it attempts to be. It does smell clean and fresh and that's about it. Will it set your world on fire? I doubt it but I like Demeter's straightforward approach not only to their individual fragrances but also to the layering options of each fragrance. It's a nice way to build your own custom scent.
29th April, 2016

L'Homme by Roger & Gallet

A very nice classic sort of fragrance with some spice but I'm amazed that nobody has yet called out the similarity between this and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme as the two are remarkably similar. I would have to say that this has just a little more going for it out of the two.

If you like Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, give this a spin. I'm sure you'll like it.
05th February, 2016

JF by Floris

Closer to Truefitt and Hill's Freshman than Davidoff's Cool Water. Almost a fragrance that bridges the two but definitely dries down to a muted version of Freshman. Not an unpleasant fragrance by any stretch. This was introduced several years after Cool Water hit the market and, if dates are true a LONG time after Freshman which dates its origins back to 1805!

I would say there is a resemblance to Green Irish Tweed of course but not as near as Freshman.

I think it's perfectly nice but I wouldn't spend the £70+ on it as it is doesn't stand alone far enough to warrant the price.

Cool Water isn't what it used to be and Green Irish Tweed, tremendous though it is remains exclusively expensive. Out of the four, I'd recommend you save yourself some money and go for Freshman. It offers a bit of them all at a much friendlier price!
10th June, 2015

Pasha by Cartier

Can't say I smell Tsar in this but Drakkar Noir? Yes, a certain similarity but only up close.

The opening of this is quite lemony and within a matter of 10 seconds a spicy note appears, rather unusual. Some describe it as "pissy", others compare it with body odour. I'd have to say potentially the latter is correct but oddly it smells rather good.

You WILL most certainly be noticed wearing this. Go mad with it and you will annoy people. Go carefully with it and it may well work. I get the feeling that this is one of those fragrances that reacts with its wearer more so than your typical fragrance. Wearer beware!

By no means aquatic or even particularly modern. Then again I wouldn't call it classic either. It's Cartier, it's different and perhaps that's what it's all about.

A welcome addition to my collection and an improvement on the bottle of Santos I used to own which I didn't much care for.
08th June, 2015

Kouros Silver by Yves Saint Laurent

As the old saying goes; never judge a book by its cover.

1 Million has been alluded too (correctly). Other impressions to my nose include Oil and Popcorn.

Why they decided to release this under the Kouros brand is beyond me. It shares zero resemblance to the Great White and even under it's own name would be an unusual fragrance and not one I would want to wear, sadly.

The brushed chrome looking bottle held such promise until I pushed the trigger.

I have revisited this throughout the day and had to wash my hands to get rid of it. This will undoubtedly be somebodies ideal alas not for me.
30th May, 2015

Bay Citrus by Arran Aromatics

This really is a lovely, distinctive and tender gents fragrance with a very sweet almost traditional perfumey opening and a lovely, smooth, woody dry down.

The shower gel also smells very warm and comforting.

A reviewer on another site compared aspects of Bay Citrus to the classic Cacharel Pour Homme and I agree with this. There are similarities to the current formulation of the Cacharel (which sadly, as with most reformulations is barely even a shadow of its former self). Regardless, these similarities are confined to the opening only. The dry down on the two is certainly different. There is a fleeting moment of Azzaro Pour Homme but very brief.

This is a traditional, warm fragrance with the Patchouli and sweet notes giving it a distinctive but soothing edge.

My first Arran Aromatics fragrance but it has certainly left me wanting to explore the other offerings they have.

I think it is a nice scent which is quite apart from the mass market norms. That for me makes it worthy of consideration and I hope, for you too.
01st February, 2015 (last edited: 02nd February, 2015)

Blue Harbour for Men - Harvard by Marks and Spencer

First impression brings to mind Eau Savage (minus that odd pissy smell that always killed it for me). It settles and the initial blast fades just a little and just enough.

No notes to speak of on the website; simply described as "Citrus, herbal and warm woody fragrance".

It's nothing new or stunning but perfectly pleasant and wearable. I get the feeling this would work well on all age groups but have a different atmosphere according to the wearer.

Classic, well groomed and tasteful. Inexpensive and it comes with a nice range of complimentary products.
09th December, 2014

Wood Spice by Marks and Spencer

"An aftershave with a traditional woody aroma and a smooth spicy note".

I get the previous reviewers reference about this smelling very familiar. It's not because I've simply smelled it on somebody else. I have worn something similar to this but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

The liquid in the bottle is the same dark green colour as the bottle itself which I found a little unusual. I have the normal Aftershave (with Alcohol) and have to say that even after shaving, it didn't noticeably sting at all. I think this a lovely clean smell complimented by an excellent range of supporting products that are very budget friendly.

Theirs nothing complicated about this fragrance really. It has a classic, simple smell that I would expect of any Gent of good taste (good taste not always being satisfied with a hefty price tag!).

I also have the body splash which is a muted version of the aftershave and I suppose intended as a daytime refresher.

A great smelling, classic product line. Love this!
01st September, 2014 (last edited: 31st August, 2014)

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Seldom does it happen that a fragrance will sweep my mind away to somewhere calmer and more beautiful but that's what happens with this. A totally accidental find for me and my first Lavender dominated scent.

I've always steered clear of Lavender. I associated it with old ladies for some reason (nothing wrong with old ladies of course but I'm not in the market to smell like my, as it turns out, wrongful association of one).

Some words already mentioned in previous reviews here are spot on: airy, fresh, romantic, natural, classy, addictive, soothing.

Never one to follow the crowd, far from sweeping me away to Provence, this has a watery quality too it that reminds me of clear blue water and clean air with a beautiful white sandy beach thrown into the bargain. In a peculiar way, I'm also reminded of the Chlorine from municipal swimming pools and, as if that weren't odd enough, in this bottle it's actually a good thing! Probably just my odd associations but this is gorgeous.

It makes we want to lie down, close my eyes and get lost in stunning places. What a find for me. I was in the market for something vaguely different from Cartier or perhaps finally give Boucheron a try but I'm glad I went for this.

Spray it on and get swept away in the calm, soothing tranquillity that it will enfold you with....and perhaps others too ;-)

With each breath out comes the delight of another breath in.
01st July, 2014

West Indian Lime by Crabtree & Evelyn

My second C&E fragrance (my first being Sandalwood). I rather like this one. When I tested it my initial reaction was "Hairspray!!". I wasn't too enamoured of it but having worn it proper for a couple of days now, I've rather come to like it.

If you would prefer sweet, straight on Lime you'll be better off gong with Trumpers Extract of Limes which is beautifully sweet and fruity but gone in minutes.

The C&E on offer here is a little more refined and described on the website thus; Fresh limes and vetiver blended with nutmeg, ginger, coriander, and juniper.

The fresh blast of lime you get initially soon settles down to a clean, effervescent sort of smell that rests nicely for several hours. Never over powering but just present enough. The lime remains but takes a lower presence after a short while. What remains is an individual scent that stands apart from the bland crowd but in a cool way.

Finally, it is supported by a full range of complimentary products; shower gel, balm etc and for the price is a nice offering.

Fruity, clean, different, fun.
06th March, 2014

1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

One of those "unremarkable" fragrances that I realised I was buying my fifth bottle of last week and therefore perhaps not "unremarkable" at all.

This does have a minor resemblance to Eau Savage too it but it's a passing nod rather than the full on 'yes, I showered then pissed myself and let it go stale' smell that I can't handle about Eau Savage. Equally, the current formulation reminds me a little, initially at least of YSL Jazz.

I always associate this fragrance with Indecent Proposal (the movie) as Robert Redfords wardrobe was from the 1881 collection for that movie. This fragrance was doing the rounds at the time. It has never been a BIG thing, certainly not in this country but it's still there on the shelf. I'm inclined to say the quality has slipped a little. The box isn't as detailed as it once was and the scent, close though it is, isn't the same but them, what from that time is?

I can really add nothing more other than to say, I love it. I would have been 13/14 years old when this came out. I liked it at the time but it was too old for me then. Not so anymore. Love to wear it and long may it continue.

An unsung hero.
05th January, 2014

Ted Baker Skinwear by Ted Baker

My friends, this really is a wonderful fragrance.

Out of the bottle, this fragrance is bright, sharp and zesty. It's the combination of the Lemon and Lime top notes working in synch.

In the middle is a warmth and roundness to the scent. There are Oceanic notes here that will bring to mind Aqua Di Giorgio amongst others.

In the base a really warm, almost creamy mix.

The whole together is like the combination of the old-school French perfumery style (Eau Savage, Givenchy Pour Monsieur, Chanel Pour Monsieur) all of which feature a defined Lemon edge alongside the warmth of classic “old guy” scents and given a “current” twist with an Oceanic/Aquatic angle. Really nice stuff.

It settles down nicely but the classic combination of the Lemon on the top and the Woods on the bottom alongside the quirky Oceanic twist work so well and create a sporty feeling fragrance that wouldn't be out of place with a Suit, a Tux or a pair of Jeans/Chinos (delete as applicable).

I catch myself walking round in circles (like a nut-case) just to catch the scent as if it were on somebody else and it really is great in an understated but confident sort of way.

For those of you who can't be bothered with all the rambling above: It smells bloody great!

Buy it, enjoy it and enjoy the compliments.
31st August, 2012 (last edited: 13th September, 2012)

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

It has been a while since I had a bottle of this in my collection so I splashed out today (no pun intended!) on a 100ml bottle.

Sadly, gone are the silver caps that framed the top and bottom of the bottle itself. Replaced instead by the white parts of the bottle that would have originally sat underneath the silver caps. The spraying mechanism on top remains as it ever was. The absence of the silver metal bottle caps gives it a more “flask” like look which to my mind is more suggestive of a 120ml Creed bottle (had they decided to do things a bit differently).

So what of the scent itself? Can I add anything further to the already extensive list? Well, probably not but I can give you my take on it.

Like many on here, my first experience of this was during my mid-teen years. One of the more adventurous guys in my class showed up to a club night wreaking of it. The girls were all over him and I won't deny, I considered having a go myself. It was the middle of Summer and it smelled incredible.

Kouros (apparently meaning Male Youth) is a polarising scent as can be seen from the hundreds of reviews here on Basenotes. Even today it reminds me of far away places. You see, having first experienced it that one night when my friend was wearing it, I was too young to afford my own bottle. So on a holiday to the Canary Islands many months later, I was bought my first bottle and there the love affair truly began.

Over the years, undoubtedly and unsurprisingly, it seems to have changed. Whether this is due to reformulation or different stock ingredients, it's as if it is missing that something that it once had. Perhaps though, my more mature nose and lack of raging hormones doesn't pick it up in the same way.

I don't really get the Semen/Piss/Faecal comments, personally. What I would say is that this scent is King of making you smell a bit unwashed but in a clean way. At this point people separate off into one of two groups; they are either totally not down with that sort of thing or, on a basic animal instinct level, they get it, breath it in, thrive on it and frankly, find it a turn on. I'm in the latter category in case you hadn't guessed.

The blend of ingredients assist ably with the dirty undertone of this fragrance and it really is a testament to the skill of the perfumer to take so many dark ingredients and boldly blend them into this classic scent.

I'll say this is better for warm weather and go out on a limb and suggest that this mixed with some of the body’s own chemistry and sweat is borderline pornographic.

The big give over (regarding reformulation) with this is the dry down which takes is VERY close to Ted Lapidus Pour Homme. It never used to be like that and in truth, it was better for it.

I find myself getting frustrated with people who say that fragrances are over powering. Are they overpowering or are you simply going trigger happy with the bottle? Remember, often, less is more! I'd find pretty much any scent over powering if the wearer has hosed themself down in it. I've commented in other reviews on how I've only ever met one person who knew how to wear Le Male by Jean Paul Gautier; one spray! Kouros is no different. One should do it but two is your maximum. Any more than that and you deserve all the looks, comments and self loathing you get. Be gentle with Kouros and Kouros will be gentle with you.

I'm proud to wave the flag in support of Kouros. Even today I think it is awesome. No it's not pretty or conservative or aquatic but what it lacks in current trends, it makes up for in originality, provocation, impression and impact. When all is said and done, it stands alone, strong and proud in it's own little niche. You won't fully appreciate this until you've encountered it on somebody else and only then if they are wearing it rather than letting it wear them.

All hail the mighty Kouros. My love affair of 19 years and counting!
24th April, 2012 (last edited: 27th April, 2012)

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Warm, Debonair, Engaging. I think that sums it up. My first Burberry purchase was Brit (and at the risk of committing blasphemy) I really can't stand the stuff. Just before Christmas I was shopping, went for some Dior and whilst the checkout girl did her thing, I noticed this on special offer. I put the sprayer up to my nose and thought "hmmm, that's nice". I very nearly bought it but stuck to my guns and got the Dior instead.

I went back today and acquired it for myself. The Lavender reminds me of Lagerfelds Photo and the Mint gives it a sporty feel but in just the right style. The woods provide a comforting, smooth base that harmonises perfectly with the symphony around it.

Everything about this fragrance is balanced to perfection. Not one for the younger crowd I'd have to say. Maybe 25+ to pull this off with conviction.

Notes from Burberry site:
Top: bergamot, lavender, fresh mint and thyme.
Heart: moss, geranium and sandalwood.
Base: amber and cedar wood.
31st January, 2012

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

A living testament to the true art of the Perfumer. This is one of the those fragrances that you know, but you don't know you know it.......if you know what I mean.

I tell you this reminds of Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene which is top heavy with Violet. Sure enough, on checking the Dior website, the pyramid is listed as:

Top: Sicilian Mandarin
Mid: Violet
Base: Leather

That said, Fahrenheit is a more predatory beast. Grey Flannel is sweet in a clean way. Fahrenheit is the sweet edge of unclean. It speaks to a more primeval sense of the human Psyche and by God, it does it well. It is not reserved or polite and does make itself known but in such a brilliant way.

Just catching this off guard at the back of the nose, it is devastatingly provocative in the right way.

Looking forward to road testing this one as I have avoided it all these years. What a revelation!
15th December, 2011

Héritage Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

04th August 2011 - 20:50
Had my first brush with this classic today. I was disappointed to see reviews mentioning reformulations but never-the-less, the 100ml/3.4 Fl Oz Tall Bottle EDT that I have is rather nice. Strangely, it's what I'd hope Givenchy Gentlemen was going to be like.

It's not Sporty, Aquatic, Fresh or any other similarly "youthful" qualities but it is refined, self-assured and distinctive. I'll take the latter any day of the week.

It does go on a little scary but only a few minutes in it settles and begins to unfold. It doesn't dominated (2 Sprays) but occasionally reintroduces itself gently to remind you it's there.

There are echoes of Gucci Envy in here, undoubtedly but dare I say, Envy done with more class and without that oddly artificial quality that always used to bother me about it.

I'm still adjusting to Heritage so will update my review later. For now, let me say it's a nice Fragrance. It's not remarkable or sexy and would take a hell of -30 year old guy to pull it off with any degree of sincerity.

05th August 2011 - 17:49
The Dry-Down on this is sublime. I had two sprays before work this morning and it has kept coming and going all day. I go back to Givenchy Gentlemen, it's not a mirror but it has hints. I'm also getting echoes of Van Cleef's Tsar, in the early stages.

I'll bet this turns heads in colder weather. Warm, clean, subtle but interesting enough to want to know more.
04th August, 2011 (last edited: 05th August, 2011)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This sure is an oddball that seems to have increasing popularity with the 50+ age range. My school friend used to where this when I was about 15 and I kind of hated it/kind of liked it. I've revisited it over the years but recently come to a greater appreciation of it.

Like Le Male by JPG, this requires 1 Spray only! Any more and you may as well be wearing a sign that says "I want a fight right now!".

I can't add anything to the many comments already made other than to reinforce my above comment that, here in the UK at least, this seems to be growing in popularity with the older generation and strangely, it kind of works.

Personally, I like it and wear it in moderation (as indicated above). It's always there for sure but in just the right way. It doesn't dominate or over exert itself, but it's there (if only 1 spray is used).

For some reason, this is what I imagine somebody stupidly rich, successful and famous to wear. Maybe it's the loud, extravagance of it?

The official pyramid:

Top Notes: Mandarin, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange Blossom.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Heliotrope, Cinnamon.

Base Notes: Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Sandalwood.
31st July, 2011 (last edited: 27th September, 2011)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

The terribly sad thing about this fragrance for me is that it is seldom worn correctly. So, what is the correct way to wear it?

ONE SPRAY!!

You do not need more than that, I promise you. Just have one spray and it will work magic for you.

Sadly, every time I smell this, the person wearing it is usually a considerable distance away from me as they approach.....and as they pass. It is badly misused by the majority. When it's applied as above, it really is very good.

I do like it but not when it's worn with such ferocity as many seem to do.
31st July, 2011

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

I'm a little surprised by all of the negative reviews here. Somebody summed it up as "nice" and I think that's an apt description. No, it's not going to rock your world but then, where in the rule book does it say a fragrance has too? Can a fragrance not just be a pleasant, enjoyable scent?

I like the way this works on my skin. It's not a heavyweight. It goes on light and stays light. I found myself earlier standing there, having a think about something or other and then noticing this scent. I thought "is that me??" and sure enough it was. I thought "you smell pretty good!".

It is on the sweet side of the spectrum, clean and romantic in style. I read talk of Pheromones but I'm not sure that's strictly true. I remember the same was said of YSL's Kouros but it was never the case.

I enjoy wearing this as it's a pleasant change to some of the heavyweights and aquatics that I normally go for. I have had compliments and no complaints. I can't sum it up any further than saying, as has already been said, it's a nice fragrance that has an edge of romanticism about it thanks to it's sweet edge. There is a very lite amount of spiciness too it that just gives it a boost of warmth.

The pyramid is:
Top Notes: Sage Absolute, Cucumber, Nutmeg, Cardamom.

Middle Notes: Patchouli, Cedarwood.

Base Notes: Amber, Myrrh, Labdanum.
03rd July, 2011