Reviews by lovethosescents

lovethosescents's avatar
    lovethosescents

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

I'm giving Boss Orange a thumbs up. When I first sampled it in a store, I thought..."nothing special, same old same old." But...a few months later one of my coworkers was wearing it. I didn't know what it was of course, but it smelled so good, and so masculine. I didn't say anything for a while because I wanted to try to figure out what it was. I thought strongly that it was D&G The One because I think it shares some similarities to Orange. I was thinking I had smelled this before but I couldn't place it. I finally gave up and asked him. After I found out I was so surprised because I had dismissed it earlier. I bought some right away and I am loving it. I don't get any apple or orange, just a warm, spicy, woodsy aroma that works great on me. It was such a success on my friend that I was hopeful it would work on me and I think it does. I have received a few compliments thus far. I'll keep using it because it seems to work well in any season. The projection and sillage are just right. This is a very masculine and sexy fragrance that I can see any man wearing. Give it a try.

22 September, 2011

Kanøn Norwegian Wood by Kanon

Surprisingly good fragrance, and to get it for under ten dollars is just unheard of. I remember wearing the original Kanøn way back in the 70's, and I liked it a lot at the time. I picked this up on a blind buy and I'm glad I did. As The_Cologneist said, this is sandalwood through and through, and sandalwood just happens to be one of my favorite scents, too. Wow, it's good. I've only been wearing it a short while, but I can tell this is going to be one of my favorites. Thumbs up.

24 June, 2011

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

After reading all the reviews of this one, I just had to try it for myself. Today I went into my local Sephora. I asked the sales guy where the Gucci fragrances were. He pointed me to them, then reached for the tester bottle of Gucci by GPH but I told him I wanted to try GPHII. He sighed and opened a large drawer which showed no more bottles. He said, "Let me check the back." I spritzed a little on my left arm from the tester bottle--which was almost empty--and waited 20 seconds or so. I took a sniff and was very pleased. I couldn't tell much just yet. When he returned he told me they were indeed out, but more would be in tomorrow, and in the meantime he gave me two samples to take home. Nearby was a bottle of John Varvatos L'Artisan. I was intrigued by the scent and spritzed a bit on my right arm. What a contrast! The Varvatos was a loud, lemony fragrance, almost like a floor cleaner, but as it has dried down it's not so astringent, and much more pleasant.

Back to GPHII: I am very pleased with its subtlety. Please are saying it doesn't project or have any longevity, however, I think it may still be hanging around, but your nose may be getting used to it quickly. When I sniff the Varvatos, then sniff the Gucci, I can smell them both. GPHII is light, to be sure, but I can detect the spices, although the cinnamon smells just a bit clove-like to me. I don't really get the "tea" thing at all. Maybe I'll pick up on that later. To me, this is an extremely pleasant spice and woods fragrance, light and fresh, and one that would be appropriate for just about any occasion. Well-made and well thought out. "Subtle" is the word.

05 April, 2011

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I have to agree wholeheartedly with PaladinX. Curve has a pleasant aroma when first sprayed on, but nothing I would call "amazing." But...there must be something in either the sillage or the drydown (or both) that make this truly special. The reason I say this is because--the other morning I sprayed a different cologne on my left forearm (just wanted to experience the fragrance). I then sprayed some Curve around my neck area. Later in the day I noticed a really wonderful aroma coming from somewhere. I sniffed my arm and it was not that. It then dawned on me that it was the Curve. I had an "aha" moment. "So that's what it smells like to other people," I thought. My nose had confused the two aromas, and that was how I got to finally experience Curve "by surprise," as if someone wearing it just passed by me on the street.

It's so hard to experience your own cologne this way, and it really frustrates me. When I spray it on myself, it always smells different from what others smell, and I think that's because you get all the top notes and your brain "remembers" those, so by the time the drydown arrives your brain is "tuned out" to all the aromas. That's the only way I can explain it, and that seems to be my experience. It's always a delight to experience a fragrance on someone else, isn't it? Oh well, I guess we have to trust that we're "smelling good" and let it go from there! LOL

03 August, 2010

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Burberry London is unique. It stands apart from the others. I finally got some after reading all the reviews and raves. I sprayed some on my wrist about an hour ago and it is beginning to settle down from the initial spritz. I do not perceive any Christmas trees, pine, or anything like that. As it settles down it comes across as very rich, and people are using the word "boozy," whatever that means, and I guess it is appropriate--like someone's warm breath who's been drinking sweet wine--so I suppose I am detecting the port wine note. It's a nice aroma--the port wine, that is--and I think I can detect the leather note, too. Hmmm, I just remembered an old fragrance I have called "Casual Friday," and London definitely reminds me of that fragrance. (I just found my bottle of Casual Friday and sprayed some on a tissue. It is indeed, similar). CF is not as deep and "boozy," but there are some similarities.

Even now, almost an hour after initial application I can't detect much else. It's a pleasant fragrance, to be sure, and very sophisticated, so it would be appropriate for formal occasions and a night out on the town. It's extremely masculine, and hearkens back to men's fragrances of years gone by. I like it, and I'll wear it, but I don't think it will become a favorite.

As a side note: I find Burberry Brit (the ladies version) to be more spectacular than this. Although worlds apart in aroma and characteristics, Brit--used in moderation--could easily be worn by a man, and is a masterpiece of a scent, in my opinion. Forgive me for throwing that in, since it has nothing to do with London. I just have strong feelings about Brit, too.

01st July, 2010

Touch by Fred Hayman

I LOVE Touch! It has a classy elegance to it. It contains lots of floral notes, but doesn't come off as strictly floral. It starts off flowery, but quickly develops into a more complex mixture of floral and spice. This is quite an attractive fragrance, and there is none other out there like it. It stands alone, and has an intoxicating aroma that lasts all day. It's powerful, so go easy on the application. It reminds me of a spicy floral like L'Air du Temps, but much more refined, a little sweeter, and not powdery. It's similar to Norell, but at the same time different. It's hard to describe, but I think a lot of women will find this fragrance intoxicating. I did. it's definitely worth a try for the price.

06 October, 2009

PS by Paul Sebastian

PS is an excellent scent for me to wear. It's very masculine and classic. It reminds me of what Old Spice should really smell like. If you took Old Spice and tried to improve it, you would get something like PS. When it first came out years ago I didn't really care for it. It had a harsh edge to it that I can't quite describe. Since then it has mellowed somewhat and the bottles I find today have a much more refined and less harsh overtone to the scent than I remember originally. I read somewhere that PS contained wormwood, whatever that is. That just sounds harsh to me. Be that as it may, I find it quite pleasant to wear, and out of all my fragrances, PS gets me the most compliments, always. People are always telling me how nice I smell, and that seldom happens when I wear other scents. This must be the one for me. I used to get the same reaction when I wore Obsession years ago. I got tired of it, but I never tire of wearing PS. I think I will stay with it since it suits me so well.

11th July, 2008

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli

This is a lovely scent to my nose. Do you recall the old jingle "I can't seem to forget you, your Wind Song stays on my mind"? Whoever wrote this knew what they were saying. Something about this haunting scent (worn on the person with the correct chemistry that is) really did stay on my mind--for forty three years to be exact! For this length of time I have been searching for this elusive scent. It has taken me all this time to finally locate a name behind what a scent memory was trying to tell me. An amazing story but one with a happy ending. The only thing that comes close to it in formulation is L'Air du Temps, but the two are distinguishable when compared. I don't notice Wind Song much anymore, unfortunately. It's a classic spicy floral, and one that should be worn. On the right lady it is simply terrific. If it works well with your body chemistry you will certainly stand out in splendor. And the price simply cannot be beat.
    Since they are not listed, I believe Wind Song's fragrance notes are as follows:

Bergamot, lemon, tarragon, coriander

Middle
    Lilac, rose, jasmine

Base
    Sandalwood, vetiver, amber

02 February, 2007

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

According to an online source, here are the notes of L'Air du Temps. Ensoleille was inquiring, so I searched and found this. L'Air is quite a remarkable fragrance. I have always loved it. Believe it or not, it bears a remarkable resemblance to Wind Song. Many of the same notes present,but in my opinion L'Air du Temps is a much finer fragrance.

Top Notes: Bergmot, peach, rosewood, neroli
    Heart Notes: Gardenia, carnation, jasmine, May rose, ylang-ylang, orchid, lily, clove, orris
    Base Notes: Ambergris, musk, vetiver, benzoin, cedarwood, moss, sandalwood, spices

26 January, 2007

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I purchased a small roll-on sample of Fracas and found it to be a very sweet floral. All I can smell is gardenia, and if you happen to remember an old discontinued fragrance from Tuvace called JUNGLE GARDENIA (really prominent in the 1970's), then you may find, as I did, that Fracas smells almost identical to it. If you like the smell of freshly cut gardenias (and I grew up with TONS of them in my backyard), then you'll love Fracas.

12 January, 2007

The Baron by LTL

A friend of mine bought some of this recently. I sprayed some on, and to me it's -very- different from The Baron I remember. I bought a big bottle in the 70's and then in the 80's. It was manufactured by Evyan at that time. I think it has been reformulated. It's reminiscent of the original, but it's not the same to my nose. The original was much stronger and much soapier smelling.

05 January, 2007