Reviews by Andrewthecologneguy

Tom Ford Noir Anthracite by Tom Ford

Finally!
A true and worthy successor to the mighty Macassar by Rochas! :)
TFNA has a slight reliance on sandalwood and patchouli but overall fantastic! Wahooo!
27th July, 2017

14 Rossetto by Prada

What a find!
I bought this for my layering and mixing. I have ventured into the feminine jus creation and I love this as a dash of modern (carefree sexy) femininity. It is playful and serious simultaneously. Almost like "if you want to hang with me, you have to accept all that comes with me". Which could mean trying on shoes and bras for hours.

As a stand alone I think it might be too much girly woman some circles, but gosh is it inventive and inspiring.

11 Cuir Styrax by Prada

I avoided the numbered Pradas much like some avoided the numbered D&G. I go back now and I am enamored by the line. Ditto for the D&G by the way.
So this is supposed to be a spicy leather and it is basically what you get, but well done. Prada was actually trying with this one :) Synthetic without a doubt but overall, I find it cuts through the ubiquity of the fake woody note in almost every masculine launch of recent.
If you can find it, get it and keep it. Wear it sparingly, to help reset your nose. Careful though, it is addictive.

Eternity Summer for Men 2017 by Calvin Klein

Sunny and addictive jus. The original is not as present as I'd like, but I smell crisp dress shirt and sun glasses, tucked in dressy blue jeans with rolled hems like the hipsters do. Grown up summertime fun in a serious way. Not sure any of that makes sense, but point is this: a great single-summer use fragrance. Buy it in June, kill it by September. Then forget about it.

cK one Summer 2017 by Calvin Klein

Stays true to the CK One Summer heritage: a synthetic citrusy hot weather juice that's suitable for all. If you don't take it more seriously than that, you'll enjoy it.
Spray liberally!

Bourbon Vanilla by Ermenegildo Zegna

Love love love this!
I typically can't vanilla for men, just never comes off 'right'.
This on the other hand, like the rest of the Zegnas in this bottle is FANTASTIC! Makes you wonder why the other Zegna fragrances exist at all.

So on to the fragrance: vanilla propped up in all it raw glory, after hanging out with other spices in the spice trader's sack. Forget the stripped down 'basic' vanilla you get nowadays, this is what a masculine vanilla should smell like.
Must try, most def.

Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Not happy about this one. The Luna Rossa DNA is not present. You know, that anise like woody masculinity. I was expecting that to be amplified here to produce something decidedly dark.
Instead, I got something like Versace Eros and Terre d'Hermes but dialed back.

I'll have to try again and where back to back for a month maybe, but so far I am unhappy.

Good juice, just not what the name implies :(

Jimmy Choo Man Ice by Jimmy Choo

Now this is interesting. It is Dior Homme Cologne, 2013 launch with bits of the Aventus in it.

Must be the patchouli, bergamot and moss combo.

I like it quite a bit as I am a fan of Dior Homme Cologne for it simple straightfoward-ness. Throw in some Aventus in the dry down and can you really fault it???

Gentlemen Only Parisian Break by Givenchy

This is good for hot weather. Bright citrus opening with the crispness of mint, lends a coolness to the summer heat. By the time it wears to the dry down, you are left with the synthetic woodiness of the original it is based on. It is a good masculine air of sensible adventure, and I like it.

The 'fraiche' version of the original is very similar to this...sometimes referred to as "Parisian Essence". The are pretty much summer versions and behave quite similar.

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

I was initially disappointed that this is in fact not an extreme version of the fragrance it is based on. Now granted, the moniker 'extreme' gives freedom to the perfumer to highlight whatever note in the original they feel makes the fragrance. For me it would have been the incens-y and spicy nature that should have been highlighted, but then, that's what the "In Black" version does, and the rest of the flankers come to think of it.

On to this iteration. It reminds me of Versace Man Eau Fraiche and Atelier Cologne's Cedre Atlas. Bulgari Man Extreme is my fave of the 3.

Thumbs up indeed.

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is another one for the bottle gottahaveits collectors and such.

I wanted to rate this neutral because the juice is not what it could have been. It's a VERY safe interpretation of the original that is so muted and neutered you will struggle to find the connection.

With a bottle so in your face an profound (it is about 25% larger than the same size of the original juice) I would have bet on Jean Paul releasing a juice that's out of this world.

Saving grace: sometimes you just want a grown up juice and that is what this is. So thumbs up it is.
29th April, 2017

Armani Code Sport Athlete by Giorgio Armani

It's a flanker of a flanker...so far I have found that these do better than the flankers themselves, and sometimes better than the original. This is the case with CSA. Citrus with a minty edge that is delightful. Bright, sweet and sporty. Athletic does fit strangely, since I don't know what an athlete is supposed to smell like. Smells good.

Black Collection : Whiskey by Commodity

Does smell like whiskey in general, but not a desirable bottle of whiskey. This is a good thing because I would have a problem wearing what smells like an expensive drink...so generic works in this context.
Eucalyptus holds the opening but not dominating. The cinnamon comes through in the opening, though it is in the base.
Overall a nice one to have, not at the price though.

Black Collection : Book by Commodity

Smells like a book you've encountered before. I was going to slam it for not being true to the name, but the name is book, not books.
An OK scent, but does not stand out and not for the price.
Worth a sniff.

Black Collection : Moss by Commodity

Sweet in the opening and quite interesting. Dries to a Terre d'Hermes, aka Iso E Super.
I like it though, as synthetic as it is, it comes across quite well formulated but does not last long.
Worth a sniff.

Vince Camuto Oud by Vince Camuto

A typical medicinal oud composition no unlike RL's Supreme Oud, except this is a lot easier to wear. For an entry level western oud, it stays true to oud but lacks the monster projection and sillage, which can be a good thing.

22nd December, 2016

Emporio Armani Diamonds Black Carat for Men by Giorgio Armani

A more intense version of the original minus the woody base. And it's not that much stronger but it certainly is more fuller.
Personally, I LOVE the woody ambroxan base of the orginal, but the top and mid notes are very 'today' considering how many other masculine scents out there follow the similar 'cosmetics bag' approach. I suppose it smells of 'fashion'.

I would only buy this if you like the opening of the original but want more punch from it.
11th December, 2016

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport Mint by Issey Miyake

I like this. I collected all three SPORT flankers and I really like this one. The mint indeed makes a difference.

The Miyake flankers are a little challenging because they are so close. This stands out. Not heads and shoulders above, but it is noticeably different.

Still, there is no need for this flanker, but it does smell fantastic. Super fresh, cool and sporty indeed.

Forgot to mention the unlit cigarette note. Me likey :)

Kokorico by Jean Paul Gaultier

Been meaning to try this one.
Smells of clean clear notes (fig/dark chocolate/patch/cedary woody-ness).

So straight forward a fragrance it's hard to believe is mass market. That said, I think JPG could have marketed this differently...it would have sold well if snobbery was packaged into the deal: make it a prive line or exclusifs blend or whatever. Charge $300 box for it and the 'need a reason to pay more' crowd would have sung it's praises.

Heard the by Night flanker is even better, so I will be buying that as well.

Takes a while to like this, but it is very good.

1881 Pour Homme Edition Blanche by Cerruti

Such harsh reviews for a wonderful interpretation of the original!

Edition Blanche is the only flanker that stays true to the original. That this interpretation is of another world is confusing to some I suppose.

I enjoy this. Quite avant garde. Yet another niche quality (based on performance and character of current niche offerings) scent for an incredible bargain.

The scent: if you find the honey fougère of the original too old school and in your face, this flanker 'fixes' that issue for you. It is the original in character, but with a transparent ozonic layer that makes me instantly modern, futuristic even. If goes on light but envelopes you in an aura that is perceived by others without overwhelming them. How cool is that?

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for fans of the original 1881.

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

I expected more. I wanted it to smell so unmistakably like rotting flesh. Instead I get flowers and some dank.
It takes a while to appreciate, and I get that, I just wanted more upfront.

So my verdict is this: more like a morgue than rotting carcass. Also more wearable than I expected. Thumbs up for originality and daring to make this. Just left me wanting, that's all.
24th November, 2016

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Or Absolu / Gold Absolute by Issey Miyake

This is the closest to the first release L'Eau d'Issey pour homme. The current formulation of L'Eau d'Issey PH is way watered down and is more about the citrusy green notes and none of the musky blue notes of the first release.

Those musky blue notes are present here. Very beautifully constructed with long lasting lingering basenotes. Absolutely worth a full bottle, especially compared to the current version of L'Eau d'Issey PH.

If you can find vintage of the original, def buy it. The second iteration is not bad either. Or just buy this Gold Absolute, if you can find it :)

Neroli by Czech & Speake

Straight faced neroli. Feels like you rolled around in a neroli bush. Long lasting and assertive without being overwhelming. This is neroli reference. Look no further.

Elite by Floris

Hairy chested beast that epitomizes the 80s! This is not for the faint of heart! A no holds masculine spicy leathery citrusy barbershop-y blast of goodness.
A more interesting and multidimensional version of Tsar from Van Cleef & Arpels. Perhaps a cologne de parfum version, so lighter but not weaker. Quite nice!

Orange Spice by Creed

Vintage Kouros' progenitor for sure. Smells like a men's public toilet...in the best possible way. The difference between OS and vintage Kouros though is that vintage Kouros lasts FOREVER as it were, whereas OS spares you the misery by quickly becoming a skin scent in the typical Creed manner, as if trying to be a gentleman about it.

A must by for Kouros lovers.

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

This is a cousin to Joop Homme. Where Joop is cocaine, Feeling Man is coca leaves.
08th November, 2016

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Summer 2014 by Issey Miyake

Ok so it's only one note away from the other summer flankers but there is something about this 2014 version that makes me swoon.
A 'true' aquatic, very mineral quality, actually smells like ocean water, with a hint of 'sewage'. So not the sweet typical aquatic and not the Windex-ness I've gotten from the other summer versions. I like it.

PS: works very well in a dry colder climate, versus humid.

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Yuzu by Issey Miyake

Next to the fraiche version of the original, this Yuzu version is top.
Intense flavor of super fresh frozen grapefruit over the original's fuzzy scent.

Must smell, must buy.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport Polar Expedition by Issey Miyake

This is a nice obvious Issey Miyake. But the problem is it is TOO obvious. But in a good way. So why is it a problem?

On to the scent...it is the 'blue' version of the Yuzu flanker. Bright, sparkling, energetic, blue. So it is good, I just wanted it to be better.

That said, for a flanker of a flanker it is really nice.

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Spice and leather, and pretty intense too! I get some barber shop vibes too.

If Polo Green was thinned out to a EdC strength then amplified and accentuated with more spices you'd get this.

Go easy on the trigger.