Reviews by arabesque

Happy by Clinique

My mom got a free bottle of this when I was a kid and she gave it to me. I was 10 or 11 years old. I wore it because it was perfume, not because it smelled wonderful. I agree with kmfdm10392, it does smell like a latex balloon, which I find to be a bad thing. I developed an aversion to the perfume after owning a bottle for a couple of years. Synthetic, unpleasant and plastic.... seems almost carcinogenic.
27th October, 2009

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh god, I literally felt like this perfume had a death grip on my throat. I thought I might suffocate. However, I have noticed this perfume on other women who managed to pull it off quite beautifully. It is very old-fashioned, and I think it is best reserved for those who are at least 40 years of age...

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I love that this fragrance is popular because it is so unusual. However, I think that it is unusual in an off-putting way. Smells heavily of english ivy with a very "perfumey" base. The anise note is really nice, but the strong ivy smell ruins it. Major headache inducer.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

This seems to work for some people. Honestly, I always thought of it as being rather cheap smelling out of the bottle. The drugstore cousin of Opium... Some women seem to be able to make it seem like something else, something more elegant.

Egyptian Goddess by Auric Blends

I bought this a few years ago because I liked the name. I wasn't sure what to think of the fragrance at first, so I wore it out. I was sitting with some friends and one of them kept asking "did someone get new laundry detergent?" No one said anything. Then, "Oh, I know what it is... Did someone get new cat litter? I swear I can smell cat litter."
Damn it. She was right. It does smell like cat litter.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

My mom bought this instead of her usual Poison. At first I thought it was okay, nothing offensive. A few days later, it really grated on my nerves every time I caught a whiff of it. Smells like a very strong, obnoxious laundry detergent. I can't stand the smell anymore.

Blu Notte by Bulgari

My initial reaction to this scent didn't change over time. It just smelled like perfume. Nothing original or special. I couldn't especially pick out any one scent. I guess it dried down to being a "clean" fragrance that became increasingly sweet on my skin. On my sister it made a nasty turn to straight vodka. I can't help thinking "bar skank" when I smell this on most people. My mind then leads me to thinking that I also smell stale cigarette smoke. Simply association. Still, not a good one.

Donna Karan Gold by Donna Karan

Very nice, smells great. Still, nothing outstanding or original. A good anonymous fragrance, good for everyday wear or at the office. Soft, floral, grown-up. For a woman with modern taste, in her 30's.

Betsey Johnson Parfum by Betsey Johnson

Absolutly horrible! It's overly sweet and syrupy, it smells really strongly of Grapefruit, then a sick floral blend (lillies, in parfum?) knocks you over. Smells like some cheap perfume a trashy teenage girl would wear.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Sour, gross, and overly complex. A million different florals hitting you at once. Kind of old-ladyish, in a bugspray, not classic way.

Crystal Noir by Versace

Great dark, sexy fragrance. Spicy-oriental perfumes are by far my favorite. Great for evening. When I wear it, I can't help but sniff myself. My current favorite, I can see it becoming my "signature" fragrance.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I hate it. It does everything a perfume shouldnt. If someones wearing it, the whole room can smell it. It's way too strong, suffocating. It is also juvenile. For teenage girls trying to be sexy, not for women who are confidently sexy.

White Musk by Body Shop

My sister wears this. Despite it's unisex rating, it is very feminine. Soft, light, musky. It seems to linger and follow the person who wears it. Nice, but unoriginal. More of a scent than a real perfume. For women who just want to smell "nice."

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

This is a soft, lovely scent. I can see a mom wearing it. It just smells good. It's simple, not complex. Not very sexy or mysterious, but classy and calming.

Poison by Christian Dior

My mom always wore this. It's so exotic and soft. Under the awesome floral and woody- notes it smells like a grape popsickle, in a good way. (Without being overly sweet.) I love it.

No. 5 by Chanel

My Grandmother wore this. This might be why it smells so old-ladyish to me. However, I tend to prefer classic, older fragrances, Shalimar and Guerlain parfums in particular. Chanel No. 5 smells bitter and chemically to me... Kind of like bugspray.

Noa by Cacharel

My sister wore this. Its elegant, soft. Smells mostly of white musk and light floral. A very nice fragrance. Not terribly original or sexy, but wonderful smelling. Perfect for a young woman with a taste for light-airy slightly powdery perfumes.

Azzemour by Crabtree & Evelyn

My first love. As soon as I opened the box I was amazed at how spicy it is. The first thing you notice is spice, the wonderful floral undertones and finaly amber. It has top notes of African violet and Morrocan rose, with a middle of spices and bergamot, and base notes of amber and wood notes. Wonderful, its exotic, but seems like something a sexy french woman would wear.
26th December, 2006