Reviews by frostiblack

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

I hated this when I first sampled it. It seemed too overpowering, too synthetic, and cloying. For some reason, though, weeks after I'd tried it in store (and scrubbed it), NRFH popped into my head and I felt compelled to give it another go. I'm glad I did, because over time it's become an excellent addition to my wardrobe, particularly in cold weather months (of which my neck of the woods has 7 per year).

Serious, elegant and a bit off-putting, I enjoy Narciso Rodriguez For Him very much. Next up: Musc for Him!

07th March, 2013

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka

I have worn Lolita Lempicka for several years now, and it's become a favourite of mine during the summer months. Its sweet gourmand base feels refreshing to me.

I wasn't sold on the Fraicheur flanker from 2004; summer/fresh/sport flankers rarely appeal to me, and I use LLAM successfully during the warmer months anyway.

Eau de Minuit, however, intrigued me. The addition of oud wood to the mix promised an exotic twist on the original that I couldn't resist blind-buying. I'm glad that I did, because Eau de Minuit is lovely.

Darker than the original, this feels like an evening/winter fragrance to me. The licorice here is warm and woody, as opposed to fresh like the original. It makes the experience slightly less gourmand. In fact, the licorice here is almost inedible, and a little bit dangerous, like a beautiful dark poison.

Very strange and quite captivating fragrance that I look forward to adding to my winter/evening rotation.

28th January, 2013

Déclaration by Cartier

I love this. Opens with a blast of bracing bitter orange then yields to a warm and delicious cardamom and a fresh woody base. I really don't get BO at all with Déclaration - it does very much speak of human passion, though. A great fragrance to wear when in love.

15th January, 2013

L'Autre by Diptyque

I thoroughly enjoy "dirty" leaning fragrances, so I was excited to get a bottle of what I'd heard was the skankiest juice around.

Ultimately, it wounded up being far more pleasant than I'd anticipated. Although the first few minutes are spice overload (hello, Cumin!) and almost vinegar-y. But then a lovely dry-down; it smells warm and ancient.

Projection is not significant; I haven't had any comments on it from neighbours/co-workers. It lingers quite close to the skin once its mellowed out.

The "humanity" mentioned in other reviews is here, I suppose. For me, it's a romantic fragrance with a slight leaning toward the erotic, but not too confrontational to wear. I'll enjoy wearing this through the winter months, for sure.

07th January, 2013

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Lovely scent, carmelised sugar gives way to a soft vanilla. Not too long-lasting for me, but so worth it.

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

A little kinky, and very confident - not unlike it's packaging. A great oriental blend that is perfect for summer wear, night activities in particular. Quite potent, easy to over-spray and look tacky, be careful.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Probably my favorite "signature" fragrance. Full of contradictions - spicy yet soft, very different yet unoffensive. I was hooked from the first time I tried this at the counter. Elegant, confident and poised, probably best for winter (evenings, especially), Black Cashmere is a knockout!