Reviews by tropbelle

tropbelle's avatar
    tropbelle

Yvette by Michael Storer

Having read Quarry's review before trying Yvette, I did so with hesitation.
    Then the aroma of tart cherry pie, mildly herbed and slightly spiced, emanated from my open sample. Behind these bright notes is an effervescent - and unfortunately evanescent - tea rose tinged bouquet. Lovely.

08 July, 2007

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

8 hours after applying Daim Blond to my left shoulder, I still pick up the cardamom-dusted apricot suede on my skin, and it is irresistible. A fresh as opposed to dried apricot, similar to yellow plum, it reminds me of the scent sought so avariciously by the main character of Patrick Suskind's novel. It has impressive staying power, too, at least on my "fair deer" skin. I will grant leather lovers that this note is much lighter here than in Tabac Blond, where it intoxicates in ambient smoke and spice soaked in rich, sweet wine. But Daim Blond is far more wearable, subtle and modern. A fast favorite.

08 July, 2007

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

This scent is a citrus-minty pick-me-up with delicious effervescence. It is an eye opener, especially next to my other favorite lemon-bergamot cocktail, Ivoire de Balmain, which is a bit more reserved and herbal.

09 January, 2007

Coeur de Vahiné by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Simple and sweet, Hawaiian Punch without the red dye. I first encountered Coeur under its original name: Les Enfants du Soleil. I detected an orange flavor to it, as well as caramelized milk, which I may have imagined. (When I sought it a few years later, it was hard to find: I only remembered "babies on a beach.") The word "enfants" may have put milk on my mind, but I probably sprayed it too close to the spot of Lait Sucre already on my arm.

29 December, 2006

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

Someone who prefers very sweet cocktails and dessert wines to drier drinks might not find Petite Cherie sweet enough but straight up vodka is a poor analogy; it is closer to a flute of chilled prosecco or a Bellini. It smells of pear nectar with hints of honeydew (to me). The fruity top has a natural sweetness to it, rounded out with rose, vanilla and a shade of green.

29 December, 2006