Reviews by jotalopez75

jotalopez75
    Colombia Colombia

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

One of Cartier's greatest creations

Déclaration de Roses would be a better name for this guy. Lots of roses here, plenty of roses. It somehow reminds me of those rose petal soaps that barbers used back in the 60's and 70's. The pepper note is also very noticeable and gives this sophisticated fragrance a sober and unmistakable casanova spirit. Longevity and sillage are good, I sprayed it twice on my wrist early in the afternoon, now is midnight and it's still stuck on my skin. Wear it if you dare!

Pros: Longevity and projection
    Cons:

18th June, 2013

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

This is one of the rarest fragrances I've ever smelled. For me this is a mix of Chanel's Antaeus and Hugo Boss's Just Different. This one is heavy blast of spicy, musky and animalistic notes (is it cat pee?) captured in a fantastic bottle. I agree with those that say it smells like wet pavement and lots of violet leaf, though I would add it has tons of musk and amber. Somehow it reminds of masculine fragrances that were so popular back in the 80's (Lapidus, Antaeus, Xeryus), which I can barely tolerate in the 2010's. Though not a bad fragrance at all, it lacks versatility (because of its highly complex notes) but instead has excellent projection and sillage. Great for guys who are into old man-like fragrances, and definitely not for everyone. That being said, try it before you buy it, and make sure to have kleenex tissues, just in case.

04th April, 2013

Acqua Azzurra For Men by Gianfranco Ferré

A common, poor, unnoticed aroma that lasts about 1 hour on my skin. So far this is the worst fragrance I've ever had. It reminds me of Christian Lacroix's Nuit pour homme, which is an awful and cheap fragrance. Don't waste your money on this guy, seriously.

31st March, 2013

7 Loewe Natural by Loewe

7 Loewe Natural is way better than the original 7 Loewe. This one lacks the annoying frankincense/pepper overdose of the original and bitter orange gives this fragrance a more appealing youthful spirit.

18th November, 2012

Light Blue Pour Homme Living Stromboli by Dolce & Gabbana

Finally a well made flanker. Actually it reminds me of white sand beaches and hot sunny days somewhere in the Caribbean. Though reminiscent of Givenchy pour homme Blue Label this one reveals less synthetic, well accomplished citric-minty top notes. Longevity is a plus as this invigorating sparky scent can last for hours. Good job D&G!

04th October, 2012

D&G La Force 11 by Dolce & Gabbana

Among the entire D&G Anthology Collection set La Force is way better than the other ones. I'm not sure whether it has cinnamon or cardamom but I'm sure it has a lot of appealing yet masculine vanilla and licorice-like notes. Although this one is intended for both men and women, guys will feel way more comfortable wearing it. Try it if you don't want smell like everybody else. Amazing projection and longevity. Thumbs up of course.

27th September, 2012 (Last Edited: 28th September, 2012)

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Bvlgari Man is a relatively good fragrance but it lacks both personality and projection. Pretty similar to the large stock of violet-made scents out there: YSL L'Homme Libre, Burberry Touch, and lots more. The opening is overwhelming but after a while the scent settles down into a flat floral-aquatic aroma. Honestly I expected much more from Bvlgari specially coming from such a distinctive jeweler. However it has average sillage and longevity.

27th September, 2012

CH Men Sport by Carolina Herrera

Another great creation by Carolina Herrera. Honestly I don't smell any of those synthetic aquatic notes that most of the "sports" flankers boast. Indeed, this fragrance is quite different from the original CH for men as it lacks the sweet cinnamon and vanilla hints. Sage and juniper notes give the fragrance a strong character and sophistication while the citrus sparky notes make it perfect for those who are not into a very formal environment. This fragrance is designed to be worn both in the office and in outdoor settings. IMO CH Men Sport is one of Herrera's most accomplished creations.

03rd September, 2012

Essential Sport by Lacoste

I find this one quite similar to Hugo Element by Hugo Boss. Tons of grapefruit and orange plus a refreshing hint of juniper. Though it is not a groundbreaking fragrance, this one seems to highlight among the bunch of aquatic essences out there. Good choice for hot summer days.

20th June, 2012

212 VIP Men by Carolina Herrera

IMO CH 212 VIP for men is pretty similar to Paco Rabanne's One Million, even it could easily pass for a OM's flanker. Gin tonic? Passion fruit? Chilled vodka? To be honest, I don't smell any of those alluring and rare notes in this stuff. Take a One Million bottle add a few drops of CH men and voilà, you'll be able to manufacture your own 212 VIP concoction.

11th April, 2012

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Absolutely delicious. There is a quite remarkable marine note that makes me feel in a good mood; somehow it reminds me of Givenchy Blue Label, but with more class and sophistication, and a bit sweeter too. Summer nights and breezy days would be perfect to wear it.

25th August, 2010

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

As a fan of YSL I bought this one this week. To be honest I expected a more unique kind of fragrance, but it is pretty exquiste anyway. Cardamom is the main note in the head, you can smell it as soon as you open the bottle; a few seconds later some dry woody sweet acords (cumarin and vetiver) come out; cedar is also a remarkable accord in this fragrance, of course. Some way it reminds me of Cartier's Dèclaration, ¿maybe it's about cardamon and bergamot notes? I guess so. Conclussion: an almost gourmand and very sophisticated fragrance you can wear both daytime and night.

20th May, 2010

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

Yes, I'm amazed. I had never tried Ferragamo's fragrances but this one really caught me. Nothing special in bottle design but nevermind, juice is heaven. At first it reminded me of Allure by Chanel or even Givenchy pour monsieur, and sure it has those same earthy and orange notes in its base, but I have to say they work better here, Gucci's Envy pour homme also seems to be in this sofisticate scent line. Unmistikable masculine, definitevely one of a kind fragrance, dangerously lascivious. Nigh is the right time to wear it but it's good for daytime too. Get this one and compliments will rain over you. Thumbs up, of course!!!

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

What can I say about Dior homme Intense? this is a kinda complex men's fragrance, but wonderful anyway.I have to confess I didn't like it at first, but smelling it once and again made me loving it. Someome said it has a weird "lipstick note" in it, and yes, it does, but I guess that's what makes it so special. I notice dry flowery notes but not in a feminine way; drydown is powdery and "chocolaty", excellent sillage and longevity. So if you're looking for a classy outstanding fragrance don't doubt and buy at least one bottle, you won't regret it.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

That unmistakable blue color never lies. I expected an aquatic marine fragrance and tha's exactly what I found. Blue, blue and more blue. Fresh as summer breeze would be its motto but it wouldn't be the fair words to express its fine spirit. A citric bouquet accurately mixed with green notes works better. Definitively a juvenile scent for grown men, too. Once again Versace hit the spot.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

My fragrance dealer suggested me to try this one. Actually I've had some kind of aversion about Hermès scents since long time ago just because I hate Equipage, moreover I always thought Hermès fragrances were intended to old folks like grandpas and grandmas, blame it on Equipage once again. Well, mistrustfully I tried on my wrists and... voila, what a surprise. To be honest I smelled some kind of "ancient" notes at first but a couple minutes later they turned into fabulous tangy earthy bouquet; drydown is much better than opening. If you're in your 20's and want to smell like a perfect gentleman this one will be perfect; but even better, if you're a more adult guy it will make you smell like the younger guy you wanna be. Notes? Definitively orange, moss and some wet earth stuff.

Only The Brave by Diesel

This a new reedited version of classic Lagerfeld for men. Sweet, so sweet yet masculine. Not exactly the kind of fragrance to kill for but I could give it the chance to call my atention. Anyway I prefer Diesel's Fuel for Life since this is a very different and interesting proposal in masculine fragrances.

07th September, 2009

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

This is the old and original version of Diesel's "Only The Brave". It looks like perfumers Aliénor Massenet, Olivier Polge and Pierre Wargnye reedited Lagerfeld's formula to create OTB. They smell identical.

07th September, 2009

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I guess it's very similar to Joop! or even Alain Delon's Iquitos. So sweet yet masculine. I'd rather prefer Paco's Black XS, not too strong and really sexy.

12th June, 2009

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Somehow it reminds me of Armani Code and CH Men. To be honest, I don't smell any of those citric/spicy notes mentioned on the olfactive pyramid (grapefruit, orange blossom, basil, cardamom). Instead, there is a blast of sweet coconut/vanilla/tobacco-like accords in here. Top notes give the fragrance a kinda generic aroma, but once settled down middle notes create a magnetic and sophisticated aura, while base notes flow into a gorgeous and sober drydown. It will work well for guys aged 30 and over, and preferably, but not exclusively, in formal environments. Average longevity and versatility, excellent sillage and projection. Heads will turn.

16th February, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2013)

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Nice fragrance, a little fruity but I like anyway. It reminds me some sweet fragrances from the 80's like Lapidus, but classier. Vanilla, cardamom and kalamanzi work well together. Great job Paco.

Visit my fragrance blog in spanish:

16th February, 2009

Rochas Man by Rochas

Wow!!! I love it. Mocha and vanilla together to create a beautiful smell of rich coconut and coffee. You can wear it either on summer or winter. It reminds me a little of Roma for women by Laura Biagiotti though it doesn't make it a feminine fragrance. I love Rochas.

19th December, 2007

Catalyst for Men by Halston

Clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond? No thanks, I decline. Such a spicy cocktail works better on an afternoon tea with grandma.

08th January, 2007

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

Ok, I'll start posting my reviews in Spanish right now, more Spanish speakers should do it too.

Good fragrance, just as its name says it's mora a sporty kind of fragrance. Head notes remind me of pine trees, just like being in country; the drydown is an interesting mixture of citrus and fruity notes; girls always make compliments every time I wear it.

Muy buena fragancia, como su nombre lo indica es más una colonia de tipo deportivo. Las notas iniciales pueden percibirse silvestres, olor a pino y campo; al secarse emergen toques frutales y cítricos bien interesantes. He recibido muchos halagos siempre que le he usado, además vale la pena por su bajo precio.

07th January, 2007

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I don't understand why Le Male has so many positive reviews. This is a common, tacky and annoying fragrance that smells like cat pee on my skin.

06th January, 2007 (Last Edited: 24th April, 2012)

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Once again I think this is one of the best men fragrances ever created. If you want to be different and shine with your own light in a very very classy way this is the cologne you should wear. Despite of many unfavorable reviews I give M7 endless thumbs up and I will be the #1 fan forever. It's a shame it's so hard to find now, but treasures use to be hard to find always. Thanks Tom Ford for creating such a precious jewel!!!

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

Fine cool fragrance. Yes, maybe its target is formed by younger men in his teens and early twenties but I'm sure older men can wear it well. A little sweet and powdery but great anyway; besides is cheap, so if you want to save your money and pay less for a good fragrance this is the one.

OP Juice by Ocean Pacific

Fresh, distinctively aquatic and floral. A real tropical fruit cocktail; someone could think it's a fragrance for young men but it works very well for grown men too. I'm 31 and sometimes I wear it, both girls and guys like it a lot.
    I findd the bottle very practical even when it looks cheap; the real purpose of its shape and look is to prevent accidental breakages that can occur with glass bottles; it happened to me with my new YSL's M7, I was vacationing and when I was unpacking my suitcase the bottle fell down and broke in pieces. Since then I'm more careful when handling my fragrances glass bottles.

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Simple, common, as other 90's men fragrances. I really love Carolina Herrera men fragrances but not this one. I found it more a 70's kind of cologne than a modern one, though 70's are coming back succesfully into fragrance world today.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Not bad, I used it 6 years ago and at first it smelled so "alcoholized" but with time it started to pull out its fruity spirit. I've read it contains a mixture of unusual notes such as melon ice cream and mango; anyway I guess it's more an aromatic fragrance that reminds me of women's Aromatic Elixir by Clinique.