Reviews by Lisaandtheword

Lisaandtheword's avatar
    Lisaandtheword

Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums

Delicious dark patchouli/leather scent that's complex but smooth & a little dry, only a touch of sweetness(mostly from the florals). The patchouli doesn't take over, there's no head shop feel. I find this scent very similar to the base of L’Arte di Gucci, but richer & deeper, less musk & only a lil rose. Slightly masculine but great flavor! will be fun to layer with too..

notes: patchouli, cardamom, and coriander/ patchouli, floral bouquet, juniper berry, black pepper/ patchouli, musk, vetiver, moss, leather, and vanilla

17th March, 2010

V'E Versace by Versace

This is an elegant rosy chypre, I don't find it very green or sour at all, has a little incensy oriental bend to it. Reminds me of Halston Couture but not as powdery. The rose is beautiful, subtle & natural smelling. Overall too elegant for my taste tho.

07th February, 2010

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

mmm! buttery leather, spicy old dark wood, complex rich green.. all blends to be feminine enough, exotic & sexy but not too much for casual or office. has slight sweetness & boozy element.

24th October, 2009

CH for Woman by Carolina Herrera

CH is a warm spicy scent on me, w mostly orange flavor, it has just enough freshness to it for summer even tho it's spicy & deep. It has praline & cinnamon for a touch of sweetness, but no vanilla! If this had vanilla I think it would smell alot like Lempicka L, but w more punch. The spicy incense mix here reminds me of Nu's base. To me it's a sultry scent, and comfy as well. The fruitiness does fade a bit a cpl hours later, but it still smells very nice.

11th June, 2009

Shalimar Black Mystery by Guerlain

So.. as I understand it this Black Mystery isn't a new darker smelling version of Shalimar, it is the usual Shalimar edp in a beautiful black pricey bottle.. nice collector's item tho.

04th March, 2009

Clandestine by Guy Laroche

Fruity (plum?) & rosy, w spice and a touch of musk. Rich & not dry, complex but smooth & rounded, nice flavor! reminds a little of Rochas Femme but rosy. Seems like a daytime scent.

12th December, 2008

Mazzolari Alessandro by Mazzolari

Nice almond flavor at first! doesn't get powdery right away, is Just almond.. becomes pretty subtle quickly. not flowery or doughy. hmm, dry down does have tinge of playdoh, flour dough too, and this is just so plain for my taste.

03rd November, 2008

Notre Flore Neroli by L'Occitane

This scent seems like something from the roaring 20's, it makes me think of an artist/femme fatale who happily causes controversy! very Art Nouveau. As far as neroli/ orange blossom scents go, it's not like the others. They are cute kitties, this is a tiger. I like deep & rich scents, but this one I dab ever so lightly.. It's deep, bold, vampy, dark & smooth, joyfully rich & decadent. Here & there while I wear it it seems almost too sweet, but the warm depth & darkness to it mellow that out just barely enough.. I don't think I could wear it very often. But it will be a fun one to visit in the winter!

28th October, 2008

Asja by Fendi

1st try not sure, nice but a little clovey.. cloves seem to make scents too serious/somber to me. 2nd try smells sweeter, nice. 3rd try compared w/ Coco, has perfumy metallic offputting element, & too much clove. I like the packaging tho, quirky, goes with the foodiness of the spice blend, & protected from light.

28th October, 2008

Lily Prune Exotic Wood by Lily Prune

Not my style, but a nice clean spicy soap smell- not floral soapy, more like creamy, fresh w/ lil spice in background. Would work nicely on either sex. I was hoping for dark, resinous, rich.. so this goes to the swap stash!

17th September, 2008

Floret by Antonia's Flowers

scrubber! weird beer smell(sour alcohol), I thought it was "off" at first but then the sweetsie floral w/ bright apricot came thru, still w/ that sourness, blech.

30th August, 2008

Amethyst Fatale by Oriflame

Purple-smelling boudoir scent.. soft but deep, l'heure purple. Verrry similar composition to me, but not as heavy & somber as LHB can be, a touch different flavor.. I like this much better. More mellow than most iris/rose combo's out there, not so bright. In flavor it reminds me of Anna Sui, but not as sweet. Richer & smoother w/ the nice amber. I like its mix of classic romantic feel w/ a little modern feel. Nice sillage too.

20th August, 2008

Stella by Stella McCartney

The rose in this is well-done, similar to Lancome's Mille et Une. MeU faded too fast to soft spice & hardly any rose, Stella stays rosy but this composition seems too cold in feel... like modern metal chairs or a funky metal sculpture.. shiny, angular & not inviting, at least to me. I'm more a dark library w big upholstered chairs & softly gleaming wood kinda gal. Tried 3x but couldn't get comfortable.

15th August, 2008

Rosa Flamenca by Les Parfums de Rosine

oo I love this one! warm, rich & sunny blend of orange blossom & rose. not too sweet or high pitched, it's well-rounded & full in flavor, yes a little more sheer than I like.. but it's so lovely & comforting a smell to me so I just spritz a lil more often!

07th August, 2008

Daliflor by Salvador Dali

To me it was like a very watered-down version of Rosa Flamenca, seemed to be a sheer & watery rose/orange blossom blend. sweet, pink & light.. not me!

07th August, 2008

FUBU Plush for Women by FUBU

fresh, light, sweetsie gourmand.. I think I smell lime, sandalwood & caramel. I find it too girly & boring.

08th May, 2008

Poussière de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Beautiful! It's luscious, soft red, warm, rich & cozy. The apricot smells peachy to me & goes great w/rose. I love the balance this has between light/happy & dark/sultry. Very womanly. I'd feel fine wearing this any season.

27th April, 2008

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

1st try- Soft, dry incense, lots of rose! Nice cool scent for summer nights? 2nd try- Wore to club, dry incensy green chypre w/ intense rose. wow. Make that Intense Rose w/ incensy chypre background. A real standout. Still smell on skin in am. Good for daytime or hot night, not a "warm" scent.

In a masculine looking bottle that protects it from the light.

21st April, 2008

Deep Night by Ghost

I love this unique scent! Deep but cool & smooth woody vanilla w/ touch of apricot & peach, the flowers in the background add a little creaminess.. really nice on summer nights.

The shower gel is a little masculine, the woods are more prominent.

21st April, 2008

L'Heure Magique by Laura Mercier

Not very powdery on me, and doesn't morph more than first settling, but it's complex & yummy.. I like the flavor alot- similar to Venezia & Tuscany per Donna, lighter & less sweet, an anytime scent, smells Italian, cheerful & sensual. Embracing your feminine soft side when wearing this!

18th April, 2008

No. 18 by Chanel

Opens.. eau d'green olive? sheer & warm green, softens some.. pink rosebuds appear faintly.. still mostly pale green. Makes me picture a little girl on one of those Victorian postcards, and this would be nice on a young lady.

Thumbs down on me tho!

09th December, 2007

Dans la Nuit by Worth

(vintage edt) Smells soft, woody & blue, different & delicious. I think I smell rose, violet, & jasmin w/ aldehydes, orris, sandalwood, & touch of musk. Develops nicely. Fuzzy aldehydes & wood opening, fades off to show beautiful & delicate florals.. they have a little sweetness, but the base has a dark coolness that tempers it. A modern scent that approaches it is Jaipur Saphir.. in feel but not end result! That one got a little hi-pitched and soapy to me. I like this much better! There's something about it..

04th December, 2007

Truly Pink by Vera Wang

1st try Pink roses! soft w/wood & violet, doesn't fade immediately, has a smoky edge to it, from the musk? fresh & light, but not overly bright 2nd try Not me. Too flat & pink, not rich or juicy or interesting enough.

Jasmin de Nuit by The Different Company

Warm, smokey & spicy jasmine, sensual & mysterious. Nice for evenings or cold weather. Love it!

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

1st try ver close to R Ess, less powder & brightness.. but seems fleeting

2nd try a little too bright & sweet, does fade fast so I prefer Rose Essentielle.

Une Folie de Roses by Les Parfums de Rosine

1st try wow! smells lovely like the red/yellow roses at work. gets the sour chypre twang later on but still nice

2nd try keeps being too sharp & twangy on me

Jour de Fête by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I like it but it it's a little too doughy, a little smoke or wood would make it a keeper for me, since the almond & vanilla are real nice in this one.

Rose D'été by Les Parfums de Rosine

Fresh & light natural rose smell, smooth with a touch of fruit, but much lighter than I like, too sheer on me.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

dry and not sweet blackberry all alone with musk. eh.

I might like to smell it on a guy!

Eau Lente by Diptyque

1st try (applied normal) ALL spice.. nutmeg, clove, a bit pungent! Smelled too masculine.

2nd try (applied lightly!) Yum! dry & peaceful spicy, with touch of soft sweetness in background.