Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Touch for Men by Burberry

It starts off OK, kind of a soft musk with some bright violet leaf and citrus. However, it quickly gets sweet, and powdery. I do get hints of wood, and it does not smell synthetic, so I give it a neutral overall.

05 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2012)

The Fir Tree by CB I Hate Perfume

This does NOT pass the Conehead test for an acceptable coniferous scent.
    Points in its favour: it is somewhat fresh green, not sweet, and has no cold corncob scent (the usual destination of most CBs on my skin).
    Points against it: lasting power of about 2 minutes maximum, and it has no particular resemblance to fir, pine, spruce or any other conifer.

15 May, 2012

Wild Hunt by CB I Hate Perfume

I had really high hopes for this one. Pine, forest, mossy floor... sounded perfect.
    When I sprayed it on, my initial impression was of a rather grassy and green scent. It reminded me slightly of CdG's Airborne. That impression lasted for about 5 minutes. Then, the blasted thing settled into the all-too-familiar vibe of cold corn cobs which I swear is how 99% of the CBs react on my skin. Bleh.

15 May, 2012

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I used to wear this in "the day". I spritzed some on in a shop and was pleasantly surprised.
    Yes, it is an 80's scent. Yet is it still sprightly and wears well. It has nice green notes up front, and settles into a patchouli - tobacco - leather vibe in the drydown (typical of its era).
    But during the journey I could smell pine and artemsia, resinous and bitter-green notes which are very pleasant.
    Definitely a blast from the past, but green and powerhouse fans definitely should check it out.
    Not as heavy as Jules, the other scent of my younger days.

11th May, 2012

Set Sail Martinique for Men by Tommy Bahama

It is OK -- a cool, aromatic, pleasant aquatic. It has some good wood notes and a non-synthetic vibe.
    Hints of spice, wood, and a clean crisp white shirt. This is a very safe, non-controversial choice. The wood notes develop a little bit and are joined by a light white musk note in the dry-down.

Series 2: Solar Donkey Power by Henrik Vibskov by Six Scents Parfums

Notes: bergamot, sage, geranium, patchouli, moss, incense, pine.

Coneheads note -- this is a lovely mossy scent but it has very little pine that I can detect.
    It starts with a really lemony-citrus note. This is joined by geranium rose and that is a pleasing combination. It gives a lemony-soapy air. The scent becomes greener, developing a theme of lemon and herbal-moss notes.
    I waited for the incense and pine, which would have moved this into the excellent category. Those never did appear, but this is a lovely mossy herbal scent, gentle and attractive.

Series 2: End/Beginning by Damir Doma by Six Scents Parfums

Notes: purple ginger, olibanum, vetiver, cedar, guaic, cardamom, coriander seed, cistus, birch tar, styrax, banzoin, tonka, sandalwood, beeswax, gurgum balsam, patchouli, myrrh, opoponax, olibanum hyperessence

This has lots of ginger and wood! It is a warm, cozy scent -- dry, not heavy or sweet. It has spicy wood, with a hint (only a hint) of incense. It is quite nice, probably a cool-weather sort of scent. Its notes are well blended and smooth, and the scent wears well through the day.

08 May, 2012

Marlborough by D.R. Harris & co.

This is a simple, straight-forward scent. Essentially, it presents cedar and sandalwood in a pleasing, natural way.
    It has a citrus-lemon opening. This quickly moves to a nice, woody chord. The cedar is sweet, like a cedar chest. It is woody, bright and refreshing. The sandalwood is creamy and is a good counterpoint to the cedar.

Gucci Guilty pour Homme by Gucci

Very sweet, strong, verging on obnoxious.
    Cheap-smelling. No redeeming features.
    Very aggressive faux citrus notes. Bleh. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

Island Bermuda by Michael Kors

Very sweet and floral, quite pretty. At times it reminds me of lily of the valley. A "pink" sort of fragrance, quite girly. Not the sort of thing I'd like to wear. Nothing wrong with it, no unpleasant synthetic notes. But it is quite sweet and floral, and "young" in style I'd say.

Lalfeorosa by O'Driù

Today I'm trying Lalfeorosa. I have a somewhat different reaction than others; I don't care for it although I do find some good moments.
    Juice: golden-olive.
    It starts with a very vanilla - biscuit - toasty caramel note, which almost immediately disappears and then reappears and persists at the very end. Here is the deal-breaker. I don't like foody or gourmand scents and despite the other good qualities, I can't warm up to this scent.
    After the opening chord, the scent moves to an aromatic stage which is smooth, substantial, spicy and which has a hint of leather. Nice.
    Then, gorgeous rose notes appear, and the scent reaches its apex for me. The rose notes are lovely, and combine with the "incense" which may well be oud since oud combines well with rose and is a traditional accompaniment. Sadly, this phase is very brief, perhaps two minutes maximum.
    Then, a very assertive tonka/hay/coumarin note blusters in and utterly vanquishes the rose. The coumarin increases, picks up all the stray spice molecules, and works to create a rather tangy tobacco-leaf note with hints of toasted nuts.
    Finally, the scent lapses back to a semi-gourmand style, gets sweeter, and I wash it off. :/

06 May, 2012

Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

It starts with good citrus and fresh juniper notes. It quickly moves to spicy notes (clove, nutmeg) and with a few herbal ones (mostly clary sage). It is a woody-spice scent, and quite good. Never sweet but fairly powerful due to the spice. There are some cool aspects to the dry-down, probably the juniper, frankincense and fir. However, these are background elements -- I would not call it a fir-forward or pine-prominent scent. Basically, it is a spicy scent with some wood notes.
    Update. I purchased a full bottle, having had a decant. I like this scent. I get more of the incense notes throughout, and the dry-down is very pleasing I still say it is not very coniferous in style. Rather, it is a spicy, woody, incense scent. The vetiver has an earthy-root note which also is a bit smoky.

02 May, 2012 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2014)

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

A very nice barbershop-clean scent -- simple and satisfying.
    It starts with gorgeous orange blossom and very zesty citrus notes. The scent is light and invigorating, and also quite smooth. There is a hint of wood bark which is typical of orange blossom. Splash this one with abandon, and re-apply often. Good longevity, essentially a cheery orange blossom and soapy scent.

02 May, 2012

Les eaux de toilette de Joséphine - Rosewood by Lothantique

I assume this is what what I have. My bottle says Bois de Rose / Rose Wood and it is an EdT, but it doesn't say de Joséphine.
    The scent is woody and dry. It is not rosewood as far as I can tell (aka Brazilian Rosewood oil or Tulip wood oil) which has a distinctively rich, furniture-polish characters. This rose wood is something like rose + wood and might be rhodium oil, which has elements of rose, cedar and sandalwood. And that's exactly what I get when I smell this -- very nice.

02 May, 2012

Lalfeogrigio by O'Driù

This is a nice, old-school stye of scent. It is centered on a creamy sandalwood note, with a charmingly retro tonka-hay note which reminds me of vintage fougeres.
    The scent starts somewhat spicy, and at first the tonka is so vanilla-heavy that I wince. This quickly burns off, to reveal a dark and rich scent. It is somewhat sweet in the early going but is not problematic. Unlike other O'Driu scents, this is not a green machine, no herbal stew happening here. Rather, it is a burnished gold-brown, sort of like mahogany in my mind. The sandalwood, coffee and tobacco work together quite well.
    Suddenly and amazingly, there is a bright geranium rose note. Quite a surprise, and am amazing contrast to the darker tones.
    The sandalwood gets very creamy. I'd say this is a must for sandalwood fans.
    Great wood and fougere charm in the dry-down.

01st May, 2012

Series 1: The Spirit Of Wood by Cosmic Wonder Light Source by Six Scents Parfums

This has a lovely fresh green opening. It quickly develops an excellent coniferous aspect, followed by a satisfying woody one. I think this is marvelous. It has the great cypress/hinoki notes of CdG Hinoki without the turpentine sharpness. It has the cool eucalyptus character of Jo Malone’s Christmas scent Pine and Eucalyptus, with more depth. Fig rounds out the wood notes and slightly sweetens. Elemi is an essential oil from a resin and it has a pine-lemon character. I think this a well constructed scent. The packaging and bottle are very good.

Strellson No. 1 by Strellson

Here we have another fresh-spicy scent. Somewhat sweet, certainly rather bland and generic in style. And quite ‘synthetic’ smelling – I don’t get any natural citrus notes, nor florals. In sum, an airy-fresh light spice sort of scent, slightly sweet and slightly irritating in its relentless fresh musk drydown. For me, it proved to be a scrubber.

Royal Palm by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

Sugary-sweet, almost candied. Only a bit spicy, certain much less than I espected given the notes. What I find is a chord almost exactly like Fruit Loops cereal: sweet, fruity, a bit garish. The grapefruit is more like a very synthetic orange. What spices there are burn off quickly, and one is left with a toasty, nutty, slightly metallic note. Despite what I’ve said I have smelled worse – but I fail to see the appeal of this. Where are the vetiver, good wood, and incense notes?

Laltrove 1002 by O'Driù

The juice is a golden, light olive oil colour.
    On paper, it is a floral, sweet-spicy scent. The dry-down quicly moves to a dusky green note like clary sage and celery leaves.
    On skin, it is aromatic, woody, and not spicy at all -- in fact, very dry. It is quite satisfying. I get herbal notes (mint, anise, artemesia), floral (jasmine and rose), as well as hints of wood and leather. The spices are good and well blended. This has an interesting "dirty" sort of note, a bit smoky and like an old ashtrasy.
    An intriguing scent, I like it.

Cedar Wood and Clary Sage by St. James of London

The opening citrus notes are pleasant. They are followed by a bit of spice and a fresh, minty note. The cedar starts as a light wood tone and gains in strength and has great longevity. This is listed as a post-shave product but it is substantial enough to be used as a scent. Great value.

Airborne by Comme des Garçons

Oh, how I love mastic (Lentiscus) as a note!
    This scent starts with lovely lemon and citrus notes. Very quickly, I get the mastic: dry, grassy-green, resinous. This blends well with bright juniper (aromatic and woody), and further excellent dry incense and wood notes. The scent is dry and translucent.
    It is not as weighty and dense as the other mastic-prominent scent (Sisley's Eau D'Ikar). The mastic here is not as prominent, and it is blended into the over mix in a subtle manner.
    The scent is light, subtle, and wears very well through the day.

Hamsa Nouveau by Swiss Arabian Perfumery

A nice and somewhat obscure scent. There are some subtle fruit notes, though not obviously pineapple. Despite the fruit, it is not an overtly sweet scent. Perhaps it was marketed at women, but a guy can easily wear it. It is slightly spicy. The dry-down is a touch of amber with oud. The oud gives a slight metallic note, which here is pleasant. Tehre is also a slightly smokey-woody note which is pleasant. The scent is well made and the notes are smoothly blended. It is not heavy or cloying. And, it is in an opulent flocked green velvet coffret, with the bottle shaped like a chess piece. Listed as an EdP.

Vis Et Honor by O'Driù

Quirky! Not bad, but very quirky.
    To me, it is a deliberate exercise in odd-ball fustiness: old attic, old books, old leather suitcase, old fur coats. A closed-in antique store... a bit claustrophobic.
    On paper: strong bay leaf/laurel note, and lotsa green in the background.
    On skin. Smokey, VERY VERY VERY minty. Oh boy, that chlorophyll is super-minty. The scent is quite green. And also the fox fur note is very prominent, in a minty-gamy way. My grandmother used to keep a mink stole in a cedar chest and this certainly reminds me of that. Back to the green notes, which are complex and intriguing -- though somewhat in competition with the relentless minty/cool notes.
    Never once got a lavender note.
    Now the mint/green joins with a leathery note.
    At times, the scent is an old-school fougere; at times an old suitcase with leather trim, at times an old fur coat.
    The distant dry-down is a nice, mossy fougere. And at times I get a spicy note which seems more like cinnamon than cardamom to me.
    I'm neutral on it. That foxy note is odd and I'm not sure what it adds other than oddity. But the green notes are pretty good.
    OK... but I'm not overwhelmed.

23 April, 2012

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

Meh, I'm underwhelmed. I expect great things (or at least amazingly quirky) things from CdG. This is a fairly safe, somewhat bland and mild woody scent.
    It starts with a peppery note, and that's pretty well done. Some woody tones emerge, but they are a blond sort of wood; light rather than deep, young wood rather than old stock. At times there is a grassy note (vetiver), at times a bright metallic note (some synthetics), and at times a kind of toasted-nut note.
    I didn't get any oud or incense... if they are there they are quite muted.
    On my skin, this is really a non-performer, and certainly nothing special or distinctive. It isn't unpleasant, just neutral.
    Now, if you want to see CdG do something amazing in the wood line, try Hinoki! Wow.

20th April, 2012

Laltrove 1001 by O'Driù

Today I'm trying Laltrove 1001. I like it -- but it seems awfully similar to Londa 1006. I'd have to do a side-by-side to understand the differences which seem pretty subtle at this point.
    Once again, the juice is the typical olive green colour.
    On paper, the scent is a bit sweet, has citrus notes, and spicy-herbal notes. Certainly even there, the tangy anise pops.
    On skin, there's no citrus for me. The scent is dry, herbal, astringent, spicy and a bit woody. Perhaps it is slightly rounder in character than Londa 1006. Sometimes it has a slightly toasted note which I did not detect in the Londa. Also a bit of a barbershop and leathery vibe which is nice. The barbershop character combes from the pepper and cinnamon, far more satisfactory spices than cumin in my opinion. The scent settles close to the skin, and the dry-down has good rosemary notes. Even here, there may be a faint ghost of cumin... perhaps it is the house spice.
    Again, very nice but also very similar to Londa 1006. I can't see having both.

17 April, 2012

Londa 1005 by O'Driù

Londa 1005. This one disappoints me more than another other. Why? The over-abundance of cumin.
    For me, (or on my skin at least) cumin always comes off as a very tangy, male-sweat scent. Perhaps in a scent which is a spice melange the cumin could duke it out with other spices. But here, in a scent with so many potentially interesting green notes, the cumin completely dominates and pushes everything else aside.
    The juice is a dark green olive colour.
    The scent starts in a very salty way, and even a bit stinky. It quickly changes to something rather smokey with a strong mint character. The mint note grows and gets very cool and fresh, but never synthetic or like toothpaste. At this point I'm quite pleased, sensing herbs, mint and the potential for the development of green-grassy (vetiver) notes.
    BLAM! Cumin appears and that's it. Game over. This isn't a complex spice jar like Piper Nigrum. No, it's just cumin-centric all the way. At best and at times, the cumin retreats enough that I can imagine I'm smelling some vetiver or the revival of mint. At other times, the cumin is just all there is.
    I never got a coniferous or pine note. I did get some mint in the early going, but that's it. Even the vetiver, normally a prominent note, can't compete with the cumin.
    I don't really see the attraction in a cumin note. It smells exactly like my cumin spice jar -- not complex, not particularly interesting in and of itself. Clove at least gives a barbershop vibe, but cumin just suggests chili.
    Scale back the cumin and this might be something interesting. The cool from the mint could work well with slightly less aggressive warm spices.
    And really, all these wonderful green notes... wasted. :/

Ladamo by O'Driù

The juice is an olive-gold colour.
    On paper, it pops with fenugreek/curry, herbal-green, and minty-refreshing notes.
    On my skin, it reveals a deeper, dirtier, darker, earthier character. The reference to "earth and roots" is exactly right. The scent is complex, even in its early stages. It certainly seems masculine to me, given its dark, sweaty tones. Then... amazingly it opens up and brightens! I find a very cheery, minty sort of note (perhaps juniper and crisp gingerroot). It also gets quite woody. I really appreciate the bright note amid the dark earth, moss and woods -- this is a genius touch of design.
    As the scent progresses, it develops a very mossy-lichen note. At times, this strongly suggests celery leaves (but not always). At other times, the anise sort of note takes prominence. A bit of a shape-shifter, this.
    Of the scents I've tried to date, I like this one best. It is powerful and challenging, but I love green scents and this certainly has that aspect. As has been noted it is extremely powerful -- one or two little dots more than suffice.
    Postscript -- I swear that the next day, after a long bath and a new scent, I could still catch the ghostly presence of this scent. Incredibly powerful and long duration.

Leva by O'Driù

"The nightmare that reveals the pleasure" -- indeed.
    The juice is an olive-oil colour.
    The scent starts with a slight citrus note and the promise of a woody vanilla. Lemongrass quickly appears. More vanilla, with a touch of cocoa; and more wood. THEN a really odd and rather uncomfortable fruity-ozonic note appears. It is like a strange, Lovecraftian version of a hyped-up peach/bergamot note. Some have called it "screechy" and it is kinda wierd and certainly not to my taste. That gradually fades away, and I'm left with a soft, powdery, close-to-the-skin scent. It is quite pleasant. It has a ginger/metallic brightness which cozies up to a woody-vanilla note. I normally detest vanilla but it is OK here in its muted form. This last phase seems feminine to me, somewhat pretty and a bit sweet. But it is not too sweet, and it is pleasantly woody so it could work for anybody. I'm not sure it is worth the trip through the X dimension to get there, though. :/

Linfedele 1004 by O'Driù

On paper it is sweet, woody, spicy, with a toasted grain note. The juice is a deep golden colour.
    On my skin, I note the following. It is oriential in style since it has spice and patchouli. That being said, it is a lean oriental: substantial but not heavy or cloying, and not too sweet once the initial phase burns off. It is not green in any sense, and I see little relation or pairing with Linfedele 1003. The ingredients are well blended and pleasing.
    It is interesting that there is a spice positioned at each phase of the scent's development. The interplay between tumeric - cloves - cardamom suggests cumin at many points. Cumin always conveys a somewhat sharp, male-sweat note, and that is note which I don't immediately care for. Here, as that cuminesque note abates, other and more attractive notes emerge. The cumin never entirely goes away, but it is better when it is balanced than when it dominates, as it does in the early going. The tumeric gives a dusty/woody character which is quite true to form. At times, the woody note suggests cedar pencil-shavings.
    I really appreciate the incense here. If the cumin was scaled back about 25% this might be an ideal scent; as it is, it's pretty good. The incense is airy and smoky. At times there is a warm rubber note (which I also noticed in Lindfedele 1003).
    The dry-down is smooth, assertive, and to my mind completely masculine (though a woman with verve certainly would enjoy it). I'm happy to report that the vanilla is NOT a problem, in fact (thankfully) I can't even detect it!
    I like this a lot -- perhaps I'm not going to rush out and buy it (given the price) but it is pretty good stuff.

11th April, 2012

Linfedele 1003 by O'Driù

This is an intriguing and complex scent.
    The juice is a deep golden colour.
    Sniffing the juice in the vial, I immediately got a powerful leather-laurel (bay leaf) combination. I tried Foustie's advice and put a bit on paper. That brought galbanum (a bitter celery-leaf note) to prominence.
    On my skin, the galbanum is extremely fleeting. The scent quickly goes to leather and laurel, with a brief sulphur note which reminds me of the tops of chopped green onions. At this point, the scent is a dark green sort, quite leathery, and dry. It is cool (perhaps a bit minty) but not cold -- the leather gives it considerable warmth.
    The leather recedes and combines with a dusky, round scent which is also a bit soapy. This phase is quite complex and I struggle to identify it. I feel that is benzion from the styrax with myrtle and myrrh. At times this phase seems to suggest warm rubber!
    Then, some marvelous smoky incense appears. This is a new and very pleasant phase, sadly a brief one.
    Next, a coumarin (hay) and tobacco note appears. It is more sweet and grassy, with a kind of reed-stalk-wood pith aspect. The interior of a newly-snapped twig comes to mind.
    The scent seems quite masculine to me: it is not sweet, floral or pretty. It is powerful, weighty, leathery-green. I guess in style it is a chypre.
    I like it but I am not in LOVE with it. It is an amazing scent. Perhaps it is a bit too weighty/dense for me, and a bit too sweet in the dry-down. Still, any green fan should try it.

10th April, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2012)