Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Myrrhe et Délires by Guerlain

I was disappointed in this. Pepper, myrrh, frankincense... should be marvelous. And for a while it was pretty good. The myrrh was very smooth, and there were hints of pepper in the background. The effect was languid and yet compelling, as myrrh can be. Then, the scent turned on me and developed a very tiresome iris-peachy-amber note. It became sweet and eventually so unpleasant that I had to wash it off... and it took four washings. Iris is not a note I particularly care for, and here it was quite nutty/powdery/sweet. Perhaps others will enjoy more of the notes but I only liked a few of them. And I never noticed a green coniferous frankincense at all.

08 April, 2012

Une Ville, un Parfum : Moscow by Guerlain

I was disappointed in this. Any scent which leads with pine needles and absinthe should deliver at least some coniferous and aromatic green notes. None to be found here. A very fruity plum and redcurrant lead the charge and don't abate. The jasmine is not particularly distinctive other than a floral sort of note. The scent settles into a fruity and white musk finish.
    Nothing distinctive, northern, wintery, or Muscovite about this, as far as I can see.

08 April, 2012

Eau d'Ikar by Sisley

Expanded review
    I like this a lot. It is a more powerful version of what we see in Comme des Garcons Airborne. The reason is the marvelous and distinctive mastic resin note. In this scent, observe that mastic anchors every phase (top, mid and base). This is a deliberate strategy, to profile this dusky-green note.
    The scent starts very dry, aromatic, earthy and green. It has good citrus notes at the sidelines. It is only moderately green at this point, yet is still quietly compelling.
    The scent remains very dry but easy to wear. How to describe the mastic I am encountering? It is sweet and yet dry, coniferous, a bit like galbanum or clary sage yet also quite distinctive in its own right. At times stalky or crunchy-leaf, a bit like Diptyque's Eau de Lierre.
    The mastic continues in its elusive, dusky and slightly mysterious way. It gives an elegant, powerful and restrained character. Floral notes are subdued, not a strong presence. The ingredients are well blended and fairly seamless.
    A reed note, like the papyrus in Hermes Jardin du Nil, emerges -- fascinating! It is dry and fibrous, a brown counterpoint to the resinous green
    The carrot seed gives a bit of sweetness to all the aridity. There is also an amazing note, like a handful of grass seed (sweet, hay-like). Hints of wood and grassy vetiver in the dry-down.
    A very satisfying scent for green fans!

06 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2014)

Jardin du Poete by Eau d'Italie

Revised review.
    Starts with good citrus and herbs. Quite green and refreshing, and natural in style. I wished the green citrus chord lasted longer, it is marvelous.
    Shortly thereafter, the dusky and somewhat piquant note of angelica appears. Also a somewhat hay-like note from teh helicrysum. These are supported by the grassy vetiver. A slightly soapy, meadow-like drydown.
    This is a pleasant scent, its second phase gives it substance and longevity beyond the citrus opening.

06 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 09 May, 2014)

Midnight Forest by Neil Morris Fragrances

It starts slightly sweet, aromatic and spicy -- that is the nagar motha. Quite an exotic note.
    This is not at all green. I don't get any galbanum which usually is a prominent sort of note. I'm disappointed since I think, "what is a forest if not green?"
    Definitely oriental in style: spicy and somewhat rich. Yet is has a clean/clear quality, perhaps even translucent.
    I guess the "forest" comes through the many woody notes, which are well done.
    Certainly earthy, and somewhat intriguing. The earthy note is like well-matured compost or rich soil: a pleasantly sweet and tangy note.
    Ultimately, I'm only neutral. Regardless of wood and forest-floor note, I say that a "forest" scent should have at least something green in it. Not a compelling scent in my books.

06 April, 2012

1681 by Carthusia

I have mixed feelings about this scent -- it seems a bit odd to me.
    The opening is quite peculiar. It suggests a stale, wet-cardboard note. This is followed by something like old celery leaves, or a vague herbal-artemesia chord. Then there is an odd musky, slightly sweet vanilla note.
    These all settle down into a cool, airy scent. It has slight hints of incense but is mostly a melange of woody notes. The peppery spices combine with the wood notes: sometimes creamy sandalwood, sometimes pungent cedar.
    This scent is all over the place and doesn't really work for me. The dry-down sometimes is airy, other times sweet, and sometimes a kind of toasted-nut aspect.

03 April, 2012

Water by Zents

Mild, soft, pretty. Smells like lovely, creamy soap and flowers. A young, innocent smell. I guess that the linden blossom has prominence here. Despite the floral notes it is not too sweet and it certainly is not heavy. Perhaps unisex, but I'd say aimed a female market.

The sample card portrays the notes in this way:
    Top: coriander, linden blossom, mint
    Heart: lemon, blue camomile
    Base: --

31st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2012)

Mykonos by Scentsational of Huntington

This is a fresh, green scent once it settles down. Initially, it presents a jumble of notes: almond-marzipan, fig (leaf and green fruit), fruity green olive. As it resolves these, it becomes a soapy, clean sort of scent. No herbal notes that I can detect. Subtle, no spices nor woods. A bit sweet and fruity throughout. Soft, not crisp. Not quite what I was looking for, or expecting (which was something drier and more herbal).

31st March, 2012

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake

Check out the bottle -- a marvel of design. The top (lid) is supposed to be the high-performance steering wheel of a racing car. The nozzle is a highly-machined carabiner knob. The glass base is tinted within, like an expensive windshield. Do you get the picture? SPORT.
    How's the juice. Acceptable, not problematic.
    Starts with a light citrus note and a very tiny bit of woody spice. Big props for the fact that it is not sweet nor heavy. Sure it is a bit aquatic/fresh but whaddya expect from a SPORT scent? It is not disturbingly synthetic.
    In summary, it is light, inoffensive, clearly masculine in its dryness and woody notes. Perhaps that will satisfy some.

21st March, 2012

Unidentified Fragrance Object / Untitled by Kenzo

I think that it an early phase of the introduction of this scent, it had no name. Now it is known as UFO (Unidentified Fragrance Object).
    Notes: orange blossom, Bulgarian rose, frankincense, vanilla.
    I think this scent fails because of its sweetness and vanilla, which dominate the more subtle notes.
    I think the scent almost redeems itself with its good woody frankincense.
    Thus, I give it a neutral.
    It starts very sweet, yet even in the early phase I get a promising hint of woody incense. The hint is very fleeting, fighting to be detected amidst the very strong creamy-sweet top layer. Gradually, things settle down.
    It develops into a creamy, toasted-nut, woody scent. Here, it reminds me of a wet Creamsicle stick left in the hot sun.
    The scent seems sweet and fairly feminine in marketing style.
    In the distant drydown, it develops a more promising incense note -- but in comparison to the Comme des Garcons line or Heeley Cardinal it is a rather pale and attenuated version. Just neutral on it, overall.

19 March, 2012

Notre Flore Jasmin / Jasmine by L'Occitane

Agree that this comes across as a scent suitable for women.
    It is buttery, round, and amber-y. It has an well-blended assembly of floral notes (I can't pick out any particular ones) freshened by a crisp green note which I assume is from ivy leaves. Pleasant, though it gets sweeter in the dry-down.

15 March, 2012

F by Ferragamo pour Homme Free Time by Salvatore Ferragamo

It's a good scent.
    It starts with a citrus-fresh note which is really lemony and quite good. Briefly, the smell of a freshly-ironed white shirt appears. It settles into a pleasant light spice and wood scent. The spices simmer away and gain a bit more depth in the dry-down. I can smell the ginger it is pretty well done.

14 March, 2012

Parfums des Beaux Arts Viridian by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

I find this has three distinct phases. The first is too brief, in my opinion. It is a lovely green and aromatic opening. Very quickly, I found the second phase, which is dominated by violet leaf (and perhaps a bit of the flower). The violet leaf absolute gives a really cool, metallic character – silvery and almost robotic or rubbery-industrial in mood. Nothing sweet so far. Finally I detect the third phase, which I find quirky. Some of the violet percolates to this level, where it combines with toasted-nut (celery seed) and woody (patchouli, vetiver) notes in a silver/brown system of opposites. The violet retreats and patchouli advances, in its usual tangy and slightly leathery-sweet way. So, I find this scent to be all over the map, even a bit confusing. Viridian is a term for a dark green-blue scent, and this is hardly green at all. Where are the artemesia, galbanum, and vetiver?

14 March, 2012

Mimosa de L'Esterel by L'Occitane

I don’t have first-hand experience of mimosa blossoms. I’ve heard that they have a woody-earthy note which is hard to replicate. I find a sharp and woody-earth note here, as well as something like fruit punch or fruit cocktail. This is a distinctive scent, perhaps even unusual. It is quite sweet, and not my style.

Bois d'Orange by Roger & Gallet

What a marvelous citrus-green scent! Lovely orangey notes with herbs. The basil is well done, suggesting mint and anise. The scent is refreshing, clean, and pleasing to wear. Nice bit of wood in the dry-down.

Attimo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

There are a lot of interesting notes listed, but I don't find anything here particularly distinctive or interesting. Essentially, this is a cool-fresh scent. The opening reminds me of eucalyptus or mint. The spices are very faint, almost undetectable. Likewise for any woods. The dry-down gets a bit sweet.
    The bottle is a silvery-grey and that is the style of the scent. Nothing offensive but nothing exciting.

Punjab by Roberto Capucci

This is a very well-made scent. The ingredients are powerful but beautiful and well blended, and the scent is not heavy if it is carefully applied.
    It starts aromatic and herbal, with bright juniper, citrus, and attractive herbal notes. It develops a lovely old-school spicy-barbershop character. The spices are quite peppery. The leather and amber are not a problem, and more of a background note. Overall, there is a charming warm-cool vibe.

12 March, 2012

MCM Success by MCM

This is a lovely scent! Admittedly it is 80's old-school, but if applied lightly it is charming and genteel rather than heavy and oppressive.
    There is a strong honeyed note in the opening. The various elements of florals, citrus and other things are very well blended. They create a smooth and classy masculine scent. Gradually an aromatic tobacco leaf note emerges -- very golden-brown, a bit bitter, and quite nice. Some light woods emerge in the dry-down.
    The vanilla, amber and patchouli are not a problem at all, and the leather is a very minor note. They are all done with a light hand.
    Well worth seeking out and trying.

05 March, 2012

Love by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Yup, apple pie -- for about 2 seconds.
    Then it gets very synthetic and becomes a computer-generated hologram of apple pie.
    "Damn it, Number One, the replicator is malfunctioning. Not only can I not get my beloved Tea... Earl Grey... hot... but the apple pie is floating outside Orion's nebula."
    An odd, sharp, brisk, detergenty echo of apples, cinnamon, and crust. Quite obnoxious.
    Let us avoid such "love".

05 March, 2012

Superworldunknown by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

A very tangy orange with a lime hard candy top note. Those aggressive citrus notes compete head-and-shoulders with some florals. That unrelenting candy note gives this a very, very young vibe. The quirky florals start to assert themselves more and it is a kind of tug-of-war of odd notes.
    "cacophony of sour fruit bubblegum" -- pretty accurate.

04 March, 2012

B Scent by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes: lemon, bergamot, fennel, lavender, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, and musk.
    Starts like a very strong lemon hard candy -- and retains that sugary lemon vibe for quite a while. Eventually some jasmine and ylang-ylang soften with floral and slightly woody notes. In time a mild fennel note appears. The sweetness abates, thankfully, and the scent settles into an interesting style. I don't get anything like sandalwood, indeed any woody notes are rather feeble.
    The dry-down is a faintly woody floral.
    I think this is aimed at a feminine market.
    I'd say it is OK but not brilliant.

04 March, 2012

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

This is quite outside my usual experience, so I struggle to understand and describe it. But I like it!
    Very briefly it starts with a sweet floral chord. This almost immediately changes into a very interesting "bright" note. It is heady, piercing, powerful. Some have spoken of lavender, others mention ylang absolute. Antiseptic and aldehydes have also been mentioned and I agree with all of those. It is a very bright and even slightly aggressive scent. Rubber gloves? Hospital corridors? I find all of this quirky and interesting. At times I get a cool-minty note.
    Would I wear it? Probably not, or at least rarely. But I can appreciate it.

03 March, 2012

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Much better than I expected, given its rather precious name.
    Phase 1 is a very distinctive orange marmalade smell (as others have noted). It is very orange-y and it also has a syrupy quality which is more in terms of weight or texture than sweetness.
    Phase 2 is a complex chord of floral/earthy notes with soapy and slightly fresh ones. The overall effect is of a slightly creamy, earthy flower.
    Phase 3 brings out some wood and resinous notes.
    Overall, quite an interesting scent. Not heavy or excessively sweet, and worth a try. I'm neutral on it because it isn't my style but I don't see anything wrong with it.

03 March, 2012

Exhale by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

I like it a lot!
    It starts incredibly dark and earthy. Definitely incense notes, and at times a rather quirky note which reminds me of rubber. Fleetingly, perhaps even a mere hint of bittersweet chocolate. It is a complex, shifting scent; very exotic and intriguing. It really can suggest a far Eastern temple, where old stones have soaked in prayers and mysterious incense for thousands of years. The dry-down is an excellent, warm, woody, sandalwood.

02 March, 2012

Ladyboy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Very sweet and very in-your-face. An odd, unusual scent.
    I wish it didn't have that gawd-awful name... that predisposes me to dislike it intensely. Whereas if I approach it on its own terms I can say that I don't like it but it is quite distinctive and perhaps even interesting.
    The banana note is true enough, black bananas turning to sludge in a bowl. That piercing, heady note is similar the gas they give off.
    Then, there is an odd, toasty-biscuit and rubbery vegetable note, like moldy compost left sitting for a while. Perhaps that is the seaweed.
    Still, these notes are not wretched... just very odd. I don't find anything remotely attractive about this, yet strangely I can say that I've smelled far worse.
    It is not overtly synthetic and it is quite different from anything I've ever encountered.
    Well, what more can be said? Try it for yourselves and come to your own conclusion.

02 March, 2012

Orange Blossom by Gorilla Perfume

Starts with a lovely neroli opening, just what I'd expect given the name. It is orange, creamy, woody, quite typical. Also, slightly soapy in a nice way. The woody notes develop and the scent becomes substantial though not heavy. The drydown gets a bit sweet and reminds me of the smell of old pancake theatrical makeup.
    All in all, a pleasant scent, though not the most brilliant orange blossom available.

F/P Homme Numero 001 by Fruits and Passion

This is a pleasant green scent.
    It has very light citrus notes in the opening, followed by light herbal notes.
    It is not synthetic smelling, and is light and refreshing.
    I don't get any distinctive notes, but there is nothing wrong with the scent.
    Very light green tea note in the dry-down.
    Basic theme here is a safe, light green style -- nothing to offend.

Lust by Gorilla Perfume

Wow!
    A tangy jasmine -- honeyed and dirty. Very interesting, oddly charismatic.
    A heady scent, tangy-twangy.
    Intense. A lesson in indolic scents. At times very rubbery, like a warm balloon in the sun. The indoles are as quirky as oudh.
    Weirdly interesting.
    Not at all my style, but it is certainly intriguing.

Imogen Rose by Gorilla Perfume

Opens in a very sweet way, also somewhat hard, brittle and even metallic. Certainly a rose-like smell, but a closed-in, claustrophobic, intense rose. It suggests Miss Havisham in a shuttered attic, old secrets, a somewhat fanatical gleam in the eye... "come closer, smell the roses, my dear..."
    Finishes with an aggressively sweet and powdery note in tandem with the unrelenting rose.

Tuca Tuca by Gorilla Perfume

yes, rather typical of a Lush store (whatever you make of that). Intensely sweet, super-perfumey and a real assault on the senses.
    Violet leaves to be sure, an interestingly haunting note ruined by the candied, vanilla aspect which smells like a cookie.
    Vague woody note which might in other circumstances redeem it.
    Super-young, cutsey.
    Is this your style? You decide.