Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Superworldunknown by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

A very tangy orange with a lime hard candy top note. Those aggressive citrus notes compete head-and-shoulders with some florals. That unrelenting candy note gives this a very, very young vibe. The quirky florals start to assert themselves more and it is a kind of tug-of-war of odd notes.
    "cacophony of sour fruit bubblegum" -- pretty accurate.

04th March, 2012

B Scent by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes: lemon, bergamot, fennel, lavender, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, and musk.
    Starts like a very strong lemon hard candy -- and retains that sugary lemon vibe for quite a while. Eventually some jasmine and ylang-ylang soften with floral and slightly woody notes. In time a mild fennel note appears. The sweetness abates, thankfully, and the scent settles into an interesting style. I don't get anything like sandalwood, indeed any woody notes are rather feeble.
    The dry-down is a faintly woody floral.
    I think this is aimed at a feminine market.
    I'd say it is OK but not brilliant.

04th March, 2012

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

This is quite outside my usual experience, so I struggle to understand and describe it. But I like it!
    Very briefly it starts with a sweet floral chord. This almost immediately changes into a very interesting "bright" note. It is heady, piercing, powerful. Some have spoken of lavender, others mention ylang absolute. Antiseptic and aldehydes have also been mentioned and I agree with all of those. It is a very bright and even slightly aggressive scent. Rubber gloves? Hospital corridors? I find all of this quirky and interesting. At times I get a cool-minty note.
    Would I wear it? Probably not, or at least rarely. But I can appreciate it.

03rd March, 2012

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Much better than I expected, given its rather precious name.
    Phase 1 is a very distinctive orange marmalade smell (as others have noted). It is very orange-y and it also has a syrupy quality which is more in terms of weight or texture than sweetness.
    Phase 2 is a complex chord of floral/earthy notes with soapy and slightly fresh ones. The overall effect is of a slightly creamy, earthy flower.
    Phase 3 brings out some wood and resinous notes.
    Overall, quite an interesting scent. Not heavy or excessively sweet, and worth a try. I'm neutral on it because it isn't my style but I don't see anything wrong with it.

03rd March, 2012

Exhale by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

I like it a lot!
    It starts incredibly dark and earthy. Definitely incense notes, and at times a rather quirky note which reminds me of rubber. Fleetingly, perhaps even a mere hint of bittersweet chocolate. It is a complex, shifting scent; very exotic and intriguing. It really can suggest a far Eastern temple, where old stones have soaked in prayers and mysterious incense for thousands of years. The dry-down is an excellent, warm, woody, sandalwood.

02nd March, 2012

Ladyboy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Very sweet and very in-your-face. An odd, unusual scent.
    I wish it didn't have that gawd-awful name... that predisposes me to dislike it intensely. Whereas if I approach it on its own terms I can say that I don't like it but it is quite distinctive and perhaps even interesting.
    The banana note is true enough, black bananas turning to sludge in a bowl. That piercing, heady note is similar the gas they give off.
    Then, there is an odd, toasty-biscuit and rubbery vegetable note, like moldy compost left sitting for a while. Perhaps that is the seaweed.
    Still, these notes are not wretched... just very odd. I don't find anything remotely attractive about this, yet strangely I can say that I've smelled far worse.
    It is not overtly synthetic and it is quite different from anything I've ever encountered.
    Well, what more can be said? Try it for yourselves and come to your own conclusion.

02nd March, 2012

Orange Blossom by Gorilla Perfume

Starts with a lovely neroli opening, just what I'd expect given the name. It is orange, creamy, woody, quite typical. Also, slightly soapy in a nice way. The woody notes develop and the scent becomes substantial though not heavy. The drydown gets a bit sweet and reminds me of the smell of old pancake theatrical makeup.
    All in all, a pleasant scent, though not the most brilliant orange blossom available.

F/P Homme Numero 001 by Fruits and Passion

This is a pleasant green scent.
    It has very light citrus notes in the opening, followed by light herbal notes.
    It is not synthetic smelling, and is light and refreshing.
    I don't get any distinctive notes, but there is nothing wrong with the scent.
    Very light green tea note in the dry-down.
    Basic theme here is a safe, light green style -- nothing to offend.

Lust by Gorilla Perfume

Wow!
    A tangy jasmine -- honeyed and dirty. Very interesting, oddly charismatic.
    A heady scent, tangy-twangy.
    Intense. A lesson in indolic scents. At times very rubbery, like a warm balloon in the sun. The indoles are as quirky as oudh.
    Weirdly interesting.
    Not at all my style, but it is certainly intriguing.

Imogen Rose by Gorilla Perfume

Opens in a very sweet way, also somewhat hard, brittle and even metallic. Certainly a rose-like smell, but a closed-in, claustrophobic, intense rose. It suggests Miss Havisham in a shuttered attic, old secrets, a somewhat fanatical gleam in the eye... "come closer, smell the roses, my dear..."
    Finishes with an aggressively sweet and powdery note in tandem with the unrelenting rose.

Tuca Tuca by Gorilla Perfume

yes, rather typical of a Lush store (whatever you make of that). Intensely sweet, super-perfumey and a real assault on the senses.
    Violet leaves to be sure, an interestingly haunting note ruined by the candied, vanilla aspect which smells like a cookie.
    Vague woody note which might in other circumstances redeem it.
    Super-young, cutsey.
    Is this your style? You decide.

St. Valentine by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

A somewhat predictable ‘concept’ fragrance: roses and chocolate for St. Valentine. Does it work? Not in my opinion. The rose notes are pretty good, but the chocolate notes are garish and so sweet that they overwhelm the scent. The scent turns into a mess, conveying the image of warm rubber gloves dusted with baby powder. Now, if the scent had been a dark earthy rose with the merest hint of bittersweet chocolate that would have been something much better.

Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Top: spice (caraway, cardomom, pink pepper), dried fruit
    Mid: neroli, rose, iris, leather, castoreum, civet, musk
    Base: “light-coloured woords” (sandalwood, cedar), patchouli, incense (oudh), myrrh, vanilla, tonka
    This is very bright – it certainly is an oudh scent! The spices are attractive and well blended. The dried fruit chord is a minor note. It softens and adds a bit of complexity, but is not too sweet nor prominent. This is a lovely scent, and a good introduction to oudh. It has a restrained and yet romantic/exotic character. The florals are delicate. In the wood, the cedar is notable. There is a tiny, tiny bit of vanilla; just enough for me to tolerate. The dry-down is basically cedar and oudh. In summary: it is not heavy (despite potentially heavy ingredients) and not weird (despite oudh). It is subtle and well blended. A masterpiece of design!

The Smell of Weather Turning by Gorilla Perfume

Notes include mint, oak absolute, hay absolute, green notes.
    Interesting, different, and unusual. It starts very earthy, even pungent. It has mossy notes, and the hay absolute (giving coumarin) is obvious. At times quite green, at other times smoky. Definitely conveys a sense of Nature with a capital N. The mint slowly appears, and brightens the mostly dark notes. Oddly, I get no ozone here -- I had expected it. The coumarin deepens and sweetens, and I'm left with the scent of old pipe tobacco or an old-school fougere.
    Ulitmately this gets a bit too sweet and heavy for me, and it doesn't retain the green notes which I found pleasant.

Canapa e Mirto / Hemp and Myrtle by Speziali Fiorentini

I was disappointed in this scent. Both hemp and myrtle oil should deliver green, herbal, dusky-dry notes. But all I get here is a fresh, ozonic (calone) sort of scent. Quite generic, unremarkable, and slightly irritating in its on-going relentless freshness.

Fareb by Huitième Art

Listed notes: immortelle wood, leather, warm sand, ginseng
    Detected notes: cedar, cumin, cinnamon bark, coriander
    I'm neutral on this. I usually like woody spicy scents, which this is. However, I find that cumin can overpower other notes unless it is carefully controlled. Essentially this is a dusky cumin scent with some notes of bark and wood. It is dry, which I appreciate. At times, the cumin is tangy and somewhat bitter, suggesting a note like bittersweet chocolate (with no vanilla, thank goodness). The wood seems like cedar pencil shavings. In the very long dry-down, the cumin mellows and gives the other spices and wood more room.

The Smell of Freedom by Gorilla Perfume

Notes include sandalwood, orris, oudh, jasmine, neroli, fire tree, lemongrass, coumarin, cinnamal.
    There is something here that reminds me of violet leaves -- a silvery-bright note. Perhaps it is the orris and jasmine in combination. Perhaps the oudh (generally undetectable) is contribuing a slight piercing-metallic note.
    Phase 1. Interesting, different. Bright and exotic. Too bright and grassy to be called an oriental.
    Phase 2. Slightly sweet, a bit of cinnamon-like spice. The spices and woods develop very nicely.
    Phase 3. Creamy-rich sandalwood. Unfortunately, this grows and (like tofu) picks up other earlier elements, such as the florals. Ultimately the scent is rather heavy, perfume-y and tiresome. Phase 3 competes with phase 2 and 3 wins.
    I liked it for a while, the middle was quite nice.

Aube Pashmina by Huitième Art

First time wearing it -- It has lovely sparkling herbal notes. The image of a glass of champagne with a sprig of rosemary and a basil leaf comes to mind! This is a very refined and chic herbal scent -- it is not as bold and tomato-leafy as Eau de Campagne by Sisley. Basil is the main note, with a cool hint of rosemary. This is a unisex scent, dry and translucent. It would be a superb summer scent, or one to convey the feeling of a summer herb garden in the cool early morning. It wears very well and I find it completely satisfying. The dry-down is herbal with a light touch of wood.
    Second time wearing – different reaction. Still has the lovely tomato leaf opening, combined with light herbs. That lovely opening didn’t last long. The scent quickly gets very soft, floral, and pretty. Maybe a little too “pretty” to suit me in the long term.
    Third time -- Still get the lovely citrus notes with just a hint of tomato leaf. In the early stages, it has the crunchy green notes of an Eau de Lierre. Yet it loses these and becomes soft, round, and somewhat heavy. Prettier and much less green in the long run than Sisely's Eau de Campagne. It is powerful in the dry-down, and I find it a bit tiresome. Still thumbs up, but I'm no longer in the market for it.

Venezia Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Well, sorry to be a damp rag in an otherwise fairly enthusiastic gathering... but this I find this to be a rather lame spicy-aquatic fougere.
    It is certainly quite sweet -- uggh.
    Doesn't seem particularly masculine in style.
    I view the "fern" note with lavender and woods as a reason to call it a fougere.
    However, it certainly has a synthetic, aquatic-fresh note... perhaps suggesting the canals of Venice on a sunny day when the backwash is not too great.
    Dry-down is amber-musky, hence some people think of it as an oriental.
    Don't get much in the way of wood, perhaps a few molecules of a very sweet sandalwood.
    I honestly don't know whence the kudos are here... it seems like a rather generic and low-rent sort of scent.
    In sum: sweet, aquatic, ambery. I guess some like this style. I don't.
    Discontinued -- in my opinion not worth a protracted search.

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Simply does not work for me.
    Intensely sweet, with a heavy-soapy-thick character. The orange suggests a creamsicle and the scent seems to have a very, very young vibe.
    I do get a bit of lavender and certainly some lemongrass.
    But I find this to be so sweet that it seems painful. It also develops what I call a metallic note.

24th February, 2012

Icon by Gorilla Perfume

I like this a lot! It is a challenging, unusual scent -- both quirky and addictive.
    It opens with herbal and woody notes. The style is dry and aromatic, and the mood is both bright and yet darkly brooding, with a slightly melancholy and introspective feeling. The myrrh gives a medicinal, piercing, bitter-rubber note which is oddly compelling. At times the scent seems very cool, with a minty - eucalyptus - camphoraceous aspect.
    The scent seems very simple to me -- essentially good myrrh. I don't get any orange blossom or any other notes apart from what the myrrh would provide.
    It goes on very powerful but it has medium longevity, fading in about four hours. That's OK, it could be reapplied as wished.

22nd February, 2012

Vanillary by Gorilla Perfume

You want candy-sweet? This is candy-sweet.
    You want gourmand? This smells like a delicious dessert, something to have accompanied by a strong espresso.
    Toasty - biscuity notes of vanilla and toffee abound.
    For two seconds it seems nice (though incredibly sweet) but then on me it gets so tiresome and vanilla-centric that I have to wash it off. I wouldn't even like to encounter it on an attractive person.

22nd February, 2012

Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Here are the notes on my sample card:
    Citrus fruits, magnolia, jasmine, rose, tubersoe, cedarwood, vetiver, vanilla, patchouli.

It is a nice scent, though not my style. The thing I admire about it is a quality which I can only describe as "bright". This is something more than just good citrus notes, there is an overall energy here that is quietly zesty, something remarkable in a soft floral.
    The opening citrus notes are very true to life and complex, suggesting lemon skin and orange oil. These open into a soft, deep floral. This phase is subtle, not at all heavy or sweet. I'm not familiar with magnolia, so what I interpret as a kind of peach-apricot note (and also the fuzzy skin of a peach) may be the magnolia. The patchouli is restrained. Overall, I have the sense of fruit as much as floral notes. The final dry-down displays some light wood and vanilla.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Notes: orange, bergamot, verbana, cardamom, pink pepper, pimento, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, wild orchid, cedar, aromatic Thai resins, patchouli, white musk, amber.
    This starts with a lovely citrus and pepper-spice chord. This is softened by florals (not too sweet) and a touch of wood. The effect is round, smooth, and very pleasant. The florals develop into a lovely cloud, and here the rose and jasmine do stand out. The scent is very well balanced between its various elements. The drydown is excellent, featuring resin and wood notes which are not heavy nor sweet.
    It reminds me a bit of Dior's Eau Sauvage -- a classy, earthy twist on the conventional Eau de Cologne style.

Eau de Cologne à la Reine des Fleurs by Piver

Notes: "a basket of citrus fruits" (oranges and lemons), lavender, "a delicately spiced bouquet" of thyme, bergamot, clove and rosemary.
    This is not solely a female-marketed scent. It is fairly dry, with some heft in the herbs and spices. Any man who likes Acqua di Parma or any of the classic EdC's would appreciate this.
    It has a gorgeous cologne opening of bright lemons and soft orange blossom. A deeply earthly lavender note adds to the complexity. Very quickly, herbal and spice notes appear, and these are most attractive. The spices are assertive but done with a light touch -- mostly clove, perhaps something else like nutmeg as well. The dry-down has great longevity due to the herbs and spices, and it is most satisfying.
    All in all, this is a classy and inexpensive splash. More herbal than Agua di Colonia by Alvarez Gomez, but in that vein.

Nombril Immense by Etat Libre d'Orange

Too sweet, too much patchouli.
    It starts with a fairly sweet and spicy note. Even at this early stage I can detect gooey amber. Very quickly the patchouli appears. I'll grant that it is complex: there are nutty, minty, earthy and funky notes. Yes, the scent gets quite funky and smells like an old unwashed belly-button.

15th February, 2012

Rossy de Palma / Eau de Protection by Etat Libre d'Orange

I'm neutral on it: interesting but not entirely attractive.
    Good points: spicy ginger and pepper are well done, though at times so fruity that they suggest tinned fruit cocktail. The rose is deep and pretty good. Incense combines well with the rose.
    Poor points: more than a few times, there is the vague suggestion of an old, metallic ashtray. The scent gets a bit metallic and thin in the dry-down.

11th February, 2012

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Hate it.
    Unnecessarily vanilla-centric, which prevents anything worthwhile appearing from either the vetiver or opoponax/myrrh. Extremely sweet.
    In my opinion, the sweet + vanilla makes for a rather juvenile character.

11th February, 2012

Olive Leaf by Thymes

I'll give this a cautious thumbs up. I bought it a couple of years ago on spec, mostly due to the ingredients:
    Olive leaf extract and oil, Sardinian laurel leaf, sage, rosemary, balsamic lavender flowers, rosewood, bamboo leaf, aromatic wood notes, patchouli.
    When I first tried it, it seemed very sweet and patchouli-centric to me. I put it aside for a couple of years and am revisiting it. Now it seems OK to me. Perhaps it also works better for me in cool weather.
    It is fresh and starts fairly sweet (to my taste). It is a bit dense and soapy at this point. The scent opens up and has a green-fruity note which I associate with olive soap. The herbal notes develop nicely as the sweet-soapy aspect burns off. The scent is quite pleasant. It is a bit soft and pretty, not quite as dry as I usually wear. The patchouli now seems OK to me, not problematic.

10th February, 2012

Eau de Vert by Miller Harris

I am of mixed mind on this. Like others, when I hear "vert" (green) I have certain high expectations. This scent is not very green, at best only slightly green.
    Second, my personal preference is for bright, translucent scents. This is one of the most dense, heaviest scents I have encountered. It is not particularly sweet, but it is just so "weighty" that it doesn't totally appeal to me.
    Points in its favour... It is aromatic, with some herbal notes. These notes give a complex, interesting character to the scent. On me, the scent has great longevity, lasting many hours. The dry-down is a bit hay-like, actually suggesting a mellow-dusky sweetgrass (Hierochloe odorata) note.
    I don't know what makes this so dense. Might be the musk. I don't get any pine here, nor vetiver as I understand the latter.
    I used to really dislike this scent, primarily for its heaviness. Now I am neutral on it. Perhaps I'll further change my mind in time...

09th February, 2012