Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

PC lists notes of orange, rhubofix (synthetic green rhubarb note), lemon, grapefruit, and vetiver.
    This starts by smelling exactly like a tasty pink grapefruit. It has a very accurate and pleasant rendition of that note. The scent settles into a light grassy vetiver. The longevity is acceptable, given that this is a citrus-based scent.

24 February, 2011

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Good, but not outstanding.
    To me, this scent plays it a bit too safe. I keep wanting it to be more daring and assertive... it fails to do that.
    The scent starts with an aromatic note that is just the tiniest bit coniferous and medicinal. I think the juniper could be so much more interesting and developed. What I smell of it, I like... but I want more. There are hints of a tonic, sprightly note full of energy. But that quickly is subsumed beneath the Creed style (rich, languid, a touch of sweetness and fairly dense). Cinnamon leaf adds a spicy note. The dry-down is a cedarwood note with a hint of vetiver. Don't overapply.
    To reiterate: this is a good scent. However, it doesn't wow me.

Coach The Fragrance by Coach

Yes, this is a very girly scent. Young, pretty, sweetish florals. The orange blossom is reasonably well done, gorgeous with a hint of wood and soap. Pleasant for its kind. Amber and vanilla are admirably restrained.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

Inoffensive and fairly bland citrus-fresh scent. Smooth. Smells like fresh paper and ink, perhaps crisp dollar bills and a bit of cucumber and herbs. A poor man's Bond No. 9 Wall Street, without the quirky charm.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Rose Angel by Thierry Mugler

Interesting. What is here? Something herbal? Salty crackers? Pineapple juice in a tin cup? Old rainwater?
    Whatever it is, the rose is nowhere to be seen.

19 February, 2011

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

I expect violet to have a dusky and somewhat piercing grey note.
    This scent is sticky-sweet, syrupy-thick, somewhat juvenile. No violet in sight. Perhaps raspberry lifesaver candy, with an irritating metallic tinge.

19 February, 2011

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

Maybe the automobile connection is that this would make a good dangly car mirror air freshener.
    Synthetic, metallic, sweet, cheap, irritating.

16 February, 2011

David Yurman Eau de Parfum by David Yurman

Hmmm, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I find a light green, watery scent. Translucent, not especially sweet. Delicate, a bit young in style. Not brilliant, but not wretched.

16 February, 2011

Ferrari (Red) by Ferrari

Sweet, citrus notes. A bit metallic at first. Simple, in fact a monolithic mound. A warm lemon cookie segues into a breezy fresh-aquatic note and a synthetic musky dry-down. Not dreadful, but not particularly interesting.

15 February, 2011

Profumo di Pantelleria by Profumi di Pantelleria

I too find this to be a unisex scent -- certainly nothing feminine about it. For me, it is substantially different than Blenheim Bouquet. BB has a cool and sustained lemony-pine chord which concludes in a soft musk which is often a feature in Penhaligon scents.
    Pantelleria starts with a lemony note, but it develops an herbal chord rather than pine. The herbs are attractive. This scent is much rounder and smoother than BB. Hints of floral notes (geranium rose in particular) add a softening touch. The dry-down is a substantial mossy one. It is green, cushy, dusky, and soapy in the way that moss often is. This is a comfortable and comforting scent if you like moss. If not, you may find it a bit fusty. I love moss so I enjoy it.

14 February, 2011

Cardinal by Heeley

I love this scent.
    I had heard about for a long time, that it was a reference-point for incense scents. I finally got a sample and -- wow, is it good! Excellent frankincense with its typical lemon-coniferous note. Smoothed out by a touch of buttery labdanum/cistus. The scent is not heavy or sweet. While it is a bit smooth it has the haunting, evocative quality of a great incense. It reminds me of the cool air of cathedrals, the echoed chanting of priests, the gold notes of icons... There is a delightful woody note in the drydown. Highest endorsement here.

13 February, 2011

Stecca by Hilde Soliani Profumi

I love the odor of tomato vine, and I love this fragrance!
    It is marvelous, and smells exactly like rubbing vines and leaves on one's hands.
    What a vital, energetic smell of nature! At first the scent is powerful and sharp.
    Then it settles down into a perky leaf scent with a hint of pink grapefruit and very fresh tomato fruit.
    Now, admittedly this is a one-note wonder. And Sisley's Eau de Campagne does the same thing with more complexity and less price.
    But this is very good. It is green, dry and wonderfully natural.

12 February, 2011

Jade by Olivier Durbano

This is a nice scent: aromatic, quite green. It starts with a herbal and green-tea note which is appealing. Somewhat dark in character and a bit spicy. Substantial and not heavy. It is rather mysterious and evocative, suggesting a mossy pond in a cool forest or the intense damp green plant notes of a tropical conservatory. The dry-down gets more mossy, with a smoky-grassy note from the mate and a dusky-sweet note from the immortelle.

11th February, 2011

Hyle by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Perhaps I placed too much credence in the Luckyscent blurb for this scent, which promised a briny, crisp, salty blast of oceanic air; bristling with freshness. The notes list seemed promising.
    On my skin, this is a slightly dusky and definitely powdery scent. There is not the slightest trace of anything crisp, fresh, or oceanic here. None.
    Soft and powdery, a bit sweet... Sometimes like a warm plastic kid's toy or a soapy shampoo bottle left in the sun. Sometimes with a fleshy-musky note which reminds me of Cumming. Where are the myrtle, lavender, ginger, juniper? MIA.
    Soft musk and a hint of patchouli appear in the dry-down.
    This is not a horrid scent. But given what I was expecting, it does not live up to that.

11th February, 2011

Wild Country by Avon

Quite sweet. Reminds me of warm plastic toy soldiers left too long in the sun, or modeling clay worked over many times by little sweaty kid hands. Lots of amber and musk here. Smells incredibly cheap and loud.

07 February, 2011

01 Nomad by Odin New York

What a wonderful scent! It is resolutely woody, in a comforting and warm manner. I had a slight moment of panic with a very brief vanilla-like note at the very beginning. Even then, the lovely wood notes tempered and blended so well that -- amazingly -- I appreciated those vanilla-like notes. Those who know my tastes will recognize that is really saying something.
    Other aspects of the first phase... Good, bright juniper notes and a nice peppery 'bite'. The scent is smooth and attractive. Briefly, a vetiver-like note appears (bright and grassy) and also something like lemon rind. In the middle, the scent is rich (even opulent) but never heavy. Creamy sandalwood and deep cedar are very well done. In the last phase, a warm woody note just purrs along. Completely satisfying!

03 February, 2011

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Hey, this isn't just "aqua", it is aqua + marine. Just to remove any doubt.
    The thing is, most such scents (this one included) don't really smell anything like a natural sea breeze, or seaweed, or brine. They mostly (this one included) smell sort of like a fresh detergent or laundry soap. Kinda zesty, sorta innocuous. A big shiny blue happy face. Essentially (and predictably) this is a one-note samba. The only development is a kind of tiresome metallic and thin character. I give it a neutral because I've smelled far worse.

03 February, 2011

Forêt de Bécharré by Nez à Nez

I think this is a good scent. Not great perhaps, but good.
    For my money, the strength is in the opening. Attractive citrus notes and aromatic green notes mingle pleasantly. The scent is bright, clear, not heavy. The chorophyll adds a minty, leafy-green note which I like. Despite the hazelnut and licorice this is not a sweet or foody scent at all. The vanilla is so restrained that (thankfully) I don't notice it. The cinammon here is a dusty bark note, rather than a cookie note (again, thankfully).
    Reservations? Well, for a scent named "forest" I expect a darker and more sustained green character. I don't get any wood notes. The dry-down is a bit blah, thankfully not sweet but a subtle amber-leather note. I'm neutral on that.
    But overall, a nice scent.

02 February, 2011

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

Here's a case where the name is an obstacle. "Jasmine"... ok, I know what jasmine should smell like. I get none of that here. And what is a black jasmine? Obviously a construct.
    Here's what I smell. A scent which starts slightly sweet but whose sweetness burns off. Only slightly floral, far less than I'd expect, given the name. Aromatic. Somewhat indefinite in that it is hard to pick out any individual notes. Wood, perhaps. A vague green note, perhaps this may be linked to the "green notes" and the licorice.
    So far it is OK, if a bit generic. But then it develops a more floral and slightly irritating sweet vanilla note.
    Doesn't smell anything like jasmine, doesn't smell like anything in particular... meh.

02 February, 2011

My Insolence by Guerlain

I'll give it some points for its bizarre, fruit-punch aspect. It is different! Not classy or sophisticated, but it is kind of intriguing. At times it seems sweet and floral, but it is not heavy nor cloying. Candy floss, raspberry kool-aid... yes. The almond blossom note gives it a quirky aspect. At times it is a bit metallic and synthetic. Still, I've smelled far, far worse. Definitely a bottom-feeder in the noble Guerlain line, Hillary Swank or no Hilary Swank...

01st February, 2011

Versace Versense by Versace

This is a nice scent -- nothing exceptionally good nor bad here.
    Starts with a green, fresh-citrus note. Where is the fig? Usually that is a very distinctive note but I get none of it here. A bit aquatic, at times a bit metallic but these are not problem areas. Vague hints of a nutty spice. Not sweet, not heavy. I wouldn't seek it out but I don't disdain it. Dry-down is a bit like ink on paper, curiously it reminds me vaguely of Encre Noir.

01st February, 2011

Boucheron by Boucheron

Here's an oriental I can whole-heartedly endorse. It is rich, smooth; yet not heavy and not too sweet. Lemon and light herbs mingle into well-blended florals. The tuberose and iris and handled with restraint (they don't dominate). A light mossy base is a lovely cushion for everything. Very chic and attractive.

31st January, 2011

Angel Garden Of Stars - The Lily Angel by Thierry Mugler

Root beer left in an old tin cup in the sun for a couple of days?
    Metallic, synthetic, unpleasant.

31st January, 2011

4 Fleurs d'Oranger by Prada

Starts slightly sweet but it is not problematic.
    Quite orange-y, with hints of wood and metal notes which are typical of orange blossom.
    Gets aromatic and green briefly, then quickly becomes opulent and floral.
    Muguet and rose dominate here. Quite a gorgeous bouquet! Good duration.
    More floral and pretty than would suit me to wear, but I think it is attractive.
    Ultimately had to go neutral on this because I found the dry-down became heavy and unrelentingly sweet. Too much of a pretty thing.

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

Vanilla + aquatic is an odd mix. The vanilla burns off a bit and one is faced with a rubbery watery pongy scent. I don't find this attractive. But wait, what am I thinking? Of course, everyone wants to smell like a soggy sugar cookie left in a sports locker with old sneakers and damp bathing suits. Yum.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Here are the notes listed on the sample card: Bulgarian rose, Parma violet, Amber, White Musk, Vanilla, Almond.
    This starts like a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is very sweet. The florals are nice but they are all jammed together -- very dense. Powdery dry-down. I'm neutral on it (rather than negative) because it seems pleasant, not synthetic. Once the sweetness burns off, a pretty nice rose note appears, with the white musk. The scent is just too sweet and "girly" to appeal to me.

Eau de Sisley 3 by Sisley

Notes: citrus, bergamot, mandarin, grapefruit, lemon, red ginger, osmanthus, patchouli, vetiver, benzoin, vanilla and musk.
    Vetiver-prominent, also a toasty and buttery note... not sure what it is but can't say I care for it. Smells exactly like buttered popcorn. Ruins the promising vetiver note in my opinion. Odd. Don't get any freshly-cut ginger root. I like Sisley 1 and 2 but not this one.

28 January, 2011

Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley

Notes: green mandarin, grapefruit, pink pepper, spices , jasmine water, green tea, juniper berries, patchouli, woods, musk.
    This is OK. Not brilliant nor particularly distinctive. Competent.
    Points in its favor: natural smelling (not synthetic), not sweet, no vanilla or cutsey-poo notes.
    A straight-forward translucent citrus-green scent with hints of green tea. That's about it, folks. Slight tangy note from the juniper. Certainly unisex in appeal.
    Moderately good, not bottle worthy for me.

28 January, 2011

Infusion de Vétiver by Prada

A bit sweet (though not cloying).
    Vaguely herbal, for a fleeting few seconds.
    Basically this starts as a soapy, plastic-y and somewhat metallic scent.
    Sharply aromatic in a rather synthetic way. Faux myrrh?
    Second phase: the vetiver is a bit late to the game. Grassy, lemon-rind. OK but not awe-inspiring.
    Not a lot of depth to this vetiver note. I will admit that it is an improvement over the earlier somewhat pongy phase. But almost anything would be an improvement over that.
    Not horrid. Just not particularly good.

27 January, 2011

Diamant by Fragonard

Notes: mandarin, cinnamon, rose, jasmine, heliotrope, dark chocolate, vanilla, patchouli, Peru balsam
    A curious scent. It starts with an achingly sweet note, so gourmand it is toothache-inducing. At least the notes are not obnoxiously synthetic. Then, surprisingly, it takes on a fresh note... without losing any sweetness. I don't quite understand it but there it is. A bright vanilla note. sigh. Oh boy, a perky oriental. Gee whiz, I'll try and restrain myself. The uber-sweetness is an obstacle for me, freshness or no freshness. I just don't find this attractive, on me, on anyone.

25 January, 2011