Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Beyond Love by By Kilian

Not my cup of tea.
    I appreciate the jasmine -- gorgeous, a lovely floral. It quickly is overwhelmed by all the tuberose. I find that to be very bright, almost blinding in intensity, and fairly metallic. To me, that is not an attractive floral note here. In fact it is quite irritating. I can't even say I'd enjoy it on someone else, and I certainly don't like it on myself.

21st January, 2011

Cruel Intentions by By Kilian

I give this a thumbs up for the very good woody drydown.
    It starts with an intensely sweet note. It is sugary, like candy. It has rich vanilla notes and is almost more than I can stand.
    The sugar quickly burns off and smoky, leathery and animalic notes appear. This phase is complex and has many aspects. Hints of bright aloewood -- good. Hints of vanilla -- not to my liking. There is also a dry, grassy-reed note from the papyrus, and a creamy yet dry sandalwood. The leathery note gets very fleshy, reminding me of tuberose.
    The last phase is a warm, glowing wood note of incredible duration. This has hints of spice and musk in the background.
    If I loved the other phases as much as the final, this would be a sure-fire thing for me. I do appreciate it.

21st January, 2011

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

I like it.
    It is a successful rendition of good spice and wood notes.
    In the introduction there is a mere suggestion of coconut, but it does not persist.
    I don't find the rum note problematic, it has a boozy "whoopee" sort of charm in the opening. Then it blends in and enriches the other notes.
    The cedar note develops very nicely. It is accurate, attractive and persistent.
    The rosewood is skillfully deployed. That is so powerful that it can overpower many scents. Here, it is used with restraint.
    The cedar combines with light patchouli for a cool, woody vibe.

20th January, 2011

No. 68 by Guerlain

I'm underwhelmed. Some might say this is a complex scent, a friend described it as "busy" and I agree with that assessment. There's so much going on here that it doesn't make a strong impression. Spicy, buttery, floral, nutty... very very minty at times. Distinct notes of carnation and tuberose flit in and out. Often it is cool in tone due to the mint. Vanilla and sandalwood in the dry-down. A hodge-podge, doesn't particularly appeal to me.

20th January, 2011

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

I am disappointed in this scent. I want something with green absinthe, **4 different lavenders** and oakmoss to be dry, very green, herbal, and have an exciting, vital edge.
    This has no edge – it is all smooth, too smooth for me.
    The vanilla and sweet hay notes from coumarin/tonka poke up early and never go away.
    The scent is fairly sweet, and is so rich and dense that I find it quite tiresome in a short period of time. It seems quite old-fashioned and fusty to me, like something someone’s dear granny might wear.
    I know all ‘bout the mystical fougere “chord” in which lavender + coumarin = fougere. Well, in the best fougere I know (Fougere Royale, vintage) the lavender note is quite distinct and THEN morphs into that mystical chord. Here, I never get any lavender. Pretty poor show for a 4-lavender scent, in my opinion.
    A bit of licorice from the absinthe, but this is fleeting.
    Tangy-metallic patchouli and briny oakmoss appear. At times, this resembles a more expensive Aqua di Selva.
    In summary: not green enough, too smooth, not enough absinthe. Much, much better for me is Fou D’Absinthe.
    Not a horrible scent, but because my expectations were so high I can’t even be neutral.

18 January, 2011

Vetyverio by Diptyque

One word, people. APRICOT.
    I find it surprising that no one has mentioned this.
    On me, the apricot note jumps in immediately and with both feet. Bang, boom, zing, whatever.
    It is a pleasant, jammy, and quite accurate rendition of apricot. Fairly persistant, and modified a bit by citrus.
    At times, the spices percolate upwards and give an apricot-tart chord.
    Apricot (the fruit) can have a metallic tang and this note replicates that metallic vibe.
    Also, at times this apricot is so green that it verges into fig territory. Interesting.
    I get NO rose notes, a bit disappointing there.
    Eventually some grassy vetiver emerges, which remains light and even translucent in character.
    Some further nutty-spicy notes emerge from time to time.
    In summary, a pleasant and distinctive scent but the name is -- in my opinion -- misleading. Should be called Apricot on a Cot, Jim-Jam or something like that. Not enough vetiver to justify its name.

17 January, 2011

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

Starts quite sweet and pretty. Changes dramatically, becomes animalic and even tangy.
    Very substantial, old-school in its heft. Develops a toasted nut aspect. Then this vanishes quickly, poof.
    And one is left with surprisingly little. Odd for an EdP.
    I dunno, I didn't find anything here I'd enjoy smelling on someone.

16 January, 2011

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I'm giving this a thumbs-up for its distinctiveness and style. It certainly is different from most of what's on the market.
    Brrrr! What a chilly scent! And kinda quirky.
    A cup of cold black tea left standing in a lonely dark room.
    A tinny, metallic note with hints of spice.
    Dark thoughts, somewhat sad regrets. Not a scent to induce cheerful feelings.
    Introspective and melancholy. Abandoned hopes echoing in shuttered corridors...

How interesting!

15 January, 2011

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I'm a bit grumpy about the BN notes.
    "Pink bay" ??? perhaps pink pepper and bay leaf (laurel).
    Papyrus wood ??? Papyrus is derived from a stalk or reed.
    Orris rhizome ??? Duh, yes, orris root is a rhizome. Kinda redundant.
    Grumbles aside...
    Not bad at all. Clean, smooth. Pepper and ginger, hint of dusky laurel.
    The spices here are really nice, subtle yet oh so interesting and suave.
    Cool and warm at the same time.
    Not sweet, although it is substantial.
    Not heavy, although it is a homage to the 70's.
    Worth checking out. I'm gonna think about this one...
    PS - reminds me a bit of the marvelous and sadly discontinued Jil Sander Man Original Pure.

15 January, 2011

MPH by Washington Tremlett

I struggle with this one. I want to like it. I like fougeres. At times MPH has interesting elements, but at other times I'm challenged to find something good to say.
    In a nutshell, the patchouli is an obstacle and the vanilla verges on deal-breaker.
    The scent starts with a pronounced clove note. As is often the case with cloves, the note alternates between a cool, airy style and something sweet and piercingly aromatic. Much the time, this phase suggests either barbershop or a formal and freshly-pressed white shirt. Even here, there are troublesome foreshadowings of the vanilla note. More and more, a very tangy brown patchouli note emerges. By the way, the only thing "green" about this scent is the bottle. It is always some variation on a brown scent. The patchouli is not really attractive to me but in and of itself is not obnoxious. The vanilla always keeps threatening to overwhelm, but never quite does that.
    Secret here (for me) is a microscopic application and a lot of patience. Many hours later, the drydown is acceptable and somewhat enjoyable.
    In summary, this has three notes which are very low on my totem pole: clove, patchouli, and vanilla. At times it is rather sweet. If even slightly over-applied, it becomes oppressive on my skin.
    On the plus side, the scent is well-made, not synthetic, classy in its own way.
    My reservations are due entirely to me not liking the particular elements. But the scent, as a construct, is well done and has great longevity. Hence my neutral rating.

14 January, 2011

Mahogany by Etro

Notes: bergamot, marjoram, cypress, clove, cumin, pepper, sandalwood, vetiver, vanilla, musk, amber
    Revised review --
    This is a nice, pleasant scent. It is in a spicy style with a hint of wood. The spices are well done: cumin, clove and pepper are distinct and yet well blended. Together, they create a warm/cool vibe. I wish the woods were a bit more distinct but this is a good scent.

12 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2013)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Tiresomely sweet and monolithic.
    Vaguely aromatic, somewhat metallic, noisily synthetic and verging on the garish.
    No wood notes that I can detect.
    Nope. Can't find anything to commend here.

12 January, 2011

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

Slightly into the negative rating.
    Top: bergamot, juniper, pink pepper
    Mid: cardamom, birch leaf, orris heart
    Base: wood, musk.
    Starts with a rather intriguing spicy-aromatic chord. Unfortunately this is marred by a musky-vanilla sweet aspect. At this point, the scent is more than a little old-school in its heft and swagger. Also fairly dense.
    The dry-down goes in two directions: either sour and metallic, or else musky-vanilla. Neither of these appeal to me.

11th January, 2011

D&G La Lune 18 by Dolce & Gabbana

Notes: lily, tuberose, sandalwood, orris, musk, white leather.
    An odd scent. Elements go in various directions
    A brief floral opening, a bit acidic yet also quite sweet.
    Settles into a fruit punch and green banana skin chord.
    At times, a very light leather note may be detected.
    Cool, not a warm scent in any way.
    Translucent, in fact quite sheer.

11th January, 2011

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

This is a beautiful, classy EdC cloud. It has lovely and refreshing citrus notes, followed by light wood and hay (from the tonka). Orange blossom lingers in the mix for a respectable period. Don’t get lavender as a distinct note. The tone and longevity are appropriate for this sort of of classic scent. One could bathe in it, and certainly re-apply many times a day.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Very loud violet and pepper. Quite synthetic and obnoxious.
    If I was standing next to a guy wearing this in an elevator, I'd pray for the next floor...

Envy by Gucci

A lovely, pretty scent. Green, translucent, spring flowers suggesting lily of the valley.
    Not too sweet, could be unisex if the man is feeling cheery. Very nice.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A very vague, attenuated scent -- shallow, watery, a bit bland. Faint herbs and citrus, followed by a mild gin-like juniper note. Dry-down gets a bit sweeter. Don't get any moss or incense. Nothing offensive, nothing spectacular.

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

This is OK. It is a reasonable introduction (aimed at the younger crowd) to a classy sort of citrus-herbal scent. A teeny bit sweet once in a while but really not problematic. The herbal notes are quite acceptable. The whole thing is legit. Not awe-inspiring but seems pretty good to me. Faint vetiver in the dry-down. All in all, a modest success, hits all the targets in a good way.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Just slightly below neutral. Not a terrible scent, but a bit too sweet and synthetic for me to give it even a passing grade. Starts with a reasonably good lavender note: quite accurate, but too sweet. The spices are smooth, very smooth indeed. The lavender persists for a little while. The dry-down continues in the smooth vein, picking up a leathery sort of note from the brown tobacco leaf and fleshy iris. The further dry-down has a synthetic, laundry-detergent aspect. This won an award? What were the judges smoking??? ;-)

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Not bad. Has intriguing, interesting notes at the start and in the dry-down.
    The opening is hard to pin down: aromatic, earthy, not sweet.
    Middle flirts with a laundry detergent vibe but doesn't commit.
    Laid-back spices improve the situation.
    Dry-down redeems this: reasonably dry wood and incense notes.
    A fairly safe bet. Won't offend anyone.

Brit for Men by Burberry

A very sweet scent with musky tones.
    No citrus.
    No rose.
    Spices -- obscured by the vanilla/musk vibe.
    Woods are slow to appear. There might be faint redemption in the dry-down... very faint, however.

Hilfiger Est. 1985 by Tommy Hilfiger

Well, at least this is something different.
    The scent is dominated by a rather synthetic papaya note which is quirky, sharp, slightly metallic, fruity, unfamiliar and persistent. Do I like it? No.
    Green - orange bongos are beating in my brain. Release me from their incessant drumming...

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Green, acidic -- very acidic and metallic.
    Hmmm.... pickle juice in an old tin can. What kind of pickle juice, you ask? Bread-and-butter pickle juice. Fairly sweet yet acidic, some peppercorns in the background, perhaps accompanying some cheese whiz on stale bread...
    These actually are sincere descriptions of what I'm encountering. Quite an odd scent.

07 January, 2011

Very Valentino pour Homme by Valentino

I'll register a neutral on this one.
    Not particularly interesting at first. It starts off quite sweet, and presents a densely-packed chord whose notes are difficult to distinguish and not thrilling.
    The dry-down improves, drops some of the sweetness and develops a sheer, slightly woody tone along with green-tea notes and what seems like an attractive smoky pipe tobacco note.
    This is an unusual scent where the dry-down redeems the overall picture. Traces of coumarin-vanilla in the tobacco chord, but that is to be expected for this type of scent.
    Competent, not excellent.

07 January, 2011

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

Notes: black cardamom, orchid, kyara wood (a type of agarwood/oudh)
    This scent is part of the JM Kohdo Wood Collection (Limited Edition). Kodo: (Japanese, “the way of incense”) is a Japanese incense ceremony.
    This is an attractive wood-incense scent. It starts with green, translucent notes which suggest a tropical forest. The cardamom gives a slightly sweet, spicy aspect. There is a ghostly silver trail of incense smoke which lurks in the background. The dry-down gets pleasantly woody, with cedar being the major element and a minor brightening from the agarwood. This is lovely and warming on a cool day.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

What an odd scent!
    Sweet, sharp, dense.
    Has a toasty note, like slightly burned toast.
    And something like old celery leaves.
    The amber is kinda wierd here, even diabolical.
    I know what rhubarb smells like -- none.
    I know what sequoia should smell like -- none.
    I know what vetiver's range should be -- can't find it.
    This is disquieting, kind of freaks me out. Away with it...

Alien Eau Luminescente by Thierry Mugler

This is a a spring and summer limited edition of Alien.
    Rather than Alien's purple colour, this is a bright orange.
    Notes: mandarin, tiaré flower, white amber.
    Fairly sweet but not candy-like. Fruity, a vague sort of citrus note.
    I've never found a mandarin note that was very strong.
    The floral note is pretty, tropical, a bit woody.
    The scent is translucent. Not as heavy as the purple monster Alien regular.
    overall -- OK. Strikes me as something marketed exclusively to women.

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

No controversy here, nor anything noteworthy.
    A banal, generic, synthetic "freshy".
    Smells like a wintergreen dangly car deodorant.

05 January, 2011

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Very gourmand-candy. Super-sweet, with caramel and sugar. But I really feel they have missed the boat here, I think they need jelly beans, peanut butter, cotton candy and marshmallows as well.
    The tar gives an odd, burning, vibrating note quite at odds with the confections.
    Don't like it. No sir.