Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Escale à Pondichéry by Christian Dior

Starts with a lovely and quite accurate citrus and cold tea note. At this point, the scent is very crisp, refreshing and engaging. It develops lovely gentle jasmine notes with the merest hint of creamy sandalwood. The jasmine gets a bit fleshy-earthy in the dry-down

Labdanum by L'Occitane

Very, very sweet, with some spices and lots of vanilla and amber. Quite heavy and dense. Not my style.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Sweet, cloying. Sugary patchouli and amber. Sugar cube on tin foil – quite irritating.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Dummy-gummy, this hurts my tummy. It is very vanilla-centric from the outset. A sugar cookie with a few spices. So incredibly sweet that it is toothache-inducing. I detect a bright, almost metallic note, like ginger ale in a tin cup. Also there are hints of cocoa. I get a bit of tobacco, in a humidor style. This is so sweet, I can’t say that it is very sophisticated. Much more a gourmand scent than a tobacco scent.

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

This is done in a rich lemon/fougere style. It is dense, and slightly fruity. In fact it is very dense, intense, and fruity-plummy. Quite lemon-centric in style. Then a watery-acquatic note appears: dewy and a bit sweet. I don’t get any cedar, amber, or leather. It gets cloying and tiresome.

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

This has a fresh, bright opening of citrus and vaguely ginger notes, the latter seems quite synthetic. Oudh is contributing the bright aspect, and it develops in intensity. The scent gets a bit sweet in the dry-down. Where’s the vetiver? Overall, I find it screechy-synthetic and tiresome.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

My goodness, this is wretched stuff! Sweet and cheap, positively toothache-inducing. Garishly spicy. Smells like a toxic car deodorizer. Utterly devoid of charm, class or any redeeming features, it is nasty, cloying, heavy and persistant. I can’t scrub it off quickly enough!

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

The lemon and herb opening is OK, though a bit thin and shallow. It quickly becomes bitter and unattractive. A vague and unappealing grassy note appears. In general, the scent is synthetic and cheap smelling. I have the impression of a bit of plastic left in the hot sun, perhaps even melting slightly.

Beckham Signature for Him by Beckham

It starts with a fresh, sweet, slightly fruity note. It develops into a combination of an Avon scent and one of the those rub-and-sniff strips in a magazine. Definitely cheap smelling. Then a rather nasty metallic marine chord appears, something like old tin cans on a beach.

Aramis Cool Blend by Aramis

This starts well, with brisk citrus notes. Lots of lemon and lime here, and for the most part they ring true though at times they veer into a vaguely synthetic style. Then… it is hard to describe where the scent goes next. It is a vague note, like a combination of leather and Play-Do: slightly sweet, sort of fruity-odd, certainly synthetic. Not anything I’d want to wear.

Bel Respiro by Chanel

This starts with some lovely herbal notes (basil, thyme, perhaps anise). They are green, light and inviting. A few floral notes appear, but they are not too sweet. They suggest spring bulbs like daffodil and iris. The green notes persist and are translucent and lightand herbal. In fact, the dry-down gets more herbal, adding celery-leaf and other leafy notes. I find the scent very nice up to this point. Then it softens and gets a bit sweet and rich. It has a fleshy-leather note that doesn’t quite suit me.

Encens Chembur by Byredo

This has a resinous, incense-oriented character, and I like it. It starts with lemon-citrus notes and then settles into an airy, woody-incense scent. It is transluscent, subtle, and very classy due to the restrained treatment. At times, there is something suggesting damp, cool and moist undergrowth. There is also a nice bit of spicy ginger. The dry-down gets more substantial but is never heavy or sweet. The ginger-incense chord strikes me as similar to what I find in Miller & Bertaux’s Spiritus/Land.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

The opening notes of lemon and other citrus are pretty good. They are framed by some dry peppery notes which are subdued and not very spicy. The scent is cool, not sweet or heavy. It is light and translucent. There are mild wood notes which add a bit of interest. This scent is better than I expected. It is deliberately done is a smooth, mass-appeal style. Little hints of vanilla and vetiver. The scent plays it safe in my opinion. Nothing offensive here, but I don’t find anything compelling either. The sillage is substantial, and the scent has good longevity.

04th November, 2010

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Powerful! Mega-sweet, Uber-sweet. In other words, sweet. The deep amber note is amazing: it is spicy, complex, earthy, toasty-nutty and compelling. I’d be intrigued except for this candied wall. This scent is like an amazing rootbeer and cream soda combination. Not my style at all, an in my opinion out of balance. However, some may like it.

04th November, 2010

Fleurs de Bois by Miller Harris

Galbanum – rose – oud. That’s the basic structure of this scent, and if you like those things you’ll enjoy it. The scent starts with the typical dusky-green notes of galbanum. There is a dry, aromatic character at this point. Florals (especially rose) appear and give a lovely aura. Very quickly oud and myrrh come on stage, and the scent becomes bright and medicinal. For the brief period as the rose transitions into the oud, the scent reminds me of Czech & Speake’s Dark Rose or No. 88. Oud dominates for the remainder of the scent’s life. I wish the green notes lasted longer: to my mind this is not really a green scent overall.

27th October, 2010

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

Very, very sweet. Toothache-inducing sweet. Fruits and floral notes, all rather muddled together and vague. Vague woody notes. The dry-down has a cool-fresh aspect. I can’t find anything distinctive here, and there is nothing which appeals to me.

25th October, 2010

Fleur du Matin by Miller Harris

This opens with a very accurate and pleasant pink grapefruit note. Leafy-citrus notes give a lovely springtime air. There are also hints of herbal notes. Marjoram suggests hay and sweet grass. A tiny bit of basil lends an aromatic character. The scent is crisp and cheery, and quite refreshing. Honeysuckle develops a honeyed-floral note with a bit of a tangy sharpness. Now the scent is pretty but not sweet, and still in a springtime vibe. Unisex in style. Overall, the scent is quite sheer. It is a springtime splash and doesn’t last long, but it is nice while it does last. Could be reapplied many times throughout the day.

25th October, 2010

Eau de Verveine by Penhaligon's

This has three stages. First is a good citrus opening, lemony and green. Dusky green notes from clary sage and herbs augment this stage. Everything is nice and clean-soapy. The second phase has aromatic notes of clove and lavender. These are quite accurate and evocative, and are as pleasant as the notes of the first phase. Finally there is a lovely musk, which recalls some of the lemon-verbana notes of earlier. In summary, this is a very attractive scent which wears well.

22nd October, 2010

Life Threads: Platinum by La Prairie

This is a rich leathery floral. It strikes me as a scent of appeal more to women than men -- it is floral, sweet, pretty and opulent. The dry-down lightens the scent up a bit, and gives a cool, expansive and interesting note. It isn't anything I would choose to wear, but I could appreciate it on the right person.

05th October, 2010

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

This starts with lovely citrus and orange blossom notes. As is often the case with petigrain, there is a slight creamy and woody-earthy aspect. The scent is clear, bright, and cheerful in tone. Definitely unisex, and not sweet or heavy in any way. That's about it -- a pretty good scent, no substantial development but quite pleasant to wear.

05th October, 2010

Oyédo by Diptyque

This is in two phases. The first has lovely, natural-smelling citrus notes: green citrus (like lime), orange, grapefruit. So far, so good. But then it gets a kind of odd, metallic note. Perhaps this is their rendition of thyme: cool – metallic – herbal. There is a vague sort of creamy-sweet note here too. That cool note gets bigger, and turns this into an aquatic herbal scent. I don’t like it!

04th October, 2010

Marquis by Anglia Perfumery

My comments are based on the current, Anglia version. I suspect that this is a pale rendition of a once-good scent. Gary Cooper may have said that this was the best green fragrance ever, but I don’t find it to be particularly green and it certainly is far from the best. Knowing and owning several vintage Crown scents, I characterize the house as offering substantial (at times powerful) classic style scents at what was then good value.
    This is a somewhat faint, fresh sort of scent. Very wispy green notes of mint and herbs can be detected, if you look hard for them. Mostly the scent seems shallow, generic, and somewhat irritatingly ozonic.
    A parallel might be drawn between the original Casswell-Massy Greenbrier, and the reformulated version which sacrifices greenness for ozonic freshness (to its deteriment).
    Eventually some of the somewhat cheap fresh notes burn off, and a few more herbal notes emerge. Still nothing to commend here.

24th September, 2010

Saffron / Amber / Agar Wood / Cardamom by Korres

I wondered if I would like this scent. I’m not a fan of amber, and the possibility of vanilla did not thrill me. Now that I’ve tried it, I can say that I like it. The amber is not heavy or sweet, and the vanilla is so minute that it flies under my radar.
    This is a basic gentle spice sort of scent, brightened by a bit of oudh. The oudh/agarwood is not quirky, medicinal or challenging – it is woody and gives some freshness. This is a fairly safe choice for a spicy-wood sort of scent. It is good value, and has more character than others of this type. Very good longevity, as it develops along the woody line. I don’t find it bottle-worthy but it is a nice, pleasant scent.

Le Vetyver by Lubin

Funky bottle and box. To me this is a clone of Guerlain Vetiver. It has the same somewhat heavy tobacco-leaf and soapy vibe, the latter aspect is due to the sweet rendition of myrrh. I prefer vetiver either as light/citrus (Givenchy) or green-perky (Mugler Cologne) or even dark and rootsy. This is none of those.

Molinard Homme I by Molinard

This opens with a fresh, minty-green chord. It develops along powdery and fresh lines, a bit grassy, a bit ozonic. I don’t care for this sort of scent, and I don’t find this rendition in any way interesting.

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

This is a smooth green scent, with lovely aromatic notes. At times, I find the scent a little too smooth and wish that it had a bit more briskness or edge. All the elements are well blended, and it is difficult to pick them out as distinct units. There is some spice, but it is very gentle. There are some coniferous notes, slightly mentholated or camphoric. In time, some bright juniper and oudh notes emerge. However, I still find the scent a little (just a little) rich for my blood. This is not an austere scent. There is a dark, heavy and slightly toasty aspect to the dry-down.

02nd September, 2010

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

This is an excellent budget fragrance. It starts with a lemony and herbal opening, at times almost minty in its zippy freshness. With some subtle coniferous notes, the scent bears a similarity to Pino Silvestre, but I’d characterize this as smoother and a bit soapier than PS. The herbal notes are well done: they are prominent but not aggressive or harsh. The dry-down is very attractive. Elements which could be heavy (musk, patchouli, leather) are given such a light treatment that they simply add a bit of complexity. Well done!

02nd September, 2010

Ajaccio Violets by Geo F Trumper

Notes: Violets from Corsica
    Well, this certainly contains the distinctive notes of violet leaf and flower: a silvery-purple tone that is immediately identifiable. Piercing and bright, it wavers between sweet and dry. It is so old-school that it is kind of radical for a man it. This softens slightly as it settles, and some greenish forest-floor notes appear. Better than Grey Flannel – but still a violet scent. If you like that, you’ll like this. My Knize Two meets all my violet scent needs, which are rare.

No. 89 by Floris

This has a lovely opening of orange blossom. It develops soapy-clean and gentle spice notes. The floral notes are not heavy or too sweet; but they are also intermittent. Light musk, mossy notes, and a nutty vetiver appear. The whole thing is very genteel and civilized. In the latter stages of its dry-down it develops an unfortunate powdery aspect which doesn’t appeal to me. At times, it smells like an old make-up case (foundation powder). A bit fusty, in my opinion.

JF by Floris

This opens with a powerful gin-like note like juniper and herbs. It develops a synthetic, fresh and slightly sweet note. There is some sweet mossy musk, and at times coriander spice. There are grassy and sweet hay notes. I don’t detect any coniferous or resinous cypress notes – that’s a shame. Still, I like everything here except for the synthetic-fresh note; and for me this dominates at the expense of the more interesting elements. The freshness burns off in the dry-down, and there are salty and mossy notes which improve my opinion of this, but only slightly. Not a bad scent, but for me not a compelling one either.