Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Saffron / Amber / Agar Wood / Cardamom by Korres

I wondered if I would like this scent. I’m not a fan of amber, and the possibility of vanilla did not thrill me. Now that I’ve tried it, I can say that I like it. The amber is not heavy or sweet, and the vanilla is so minute that it flies under my radar.
    This is a basic gentle spice sort of scent, brightened by a bit of oudh. The oudh/agarwood is not quirky, medicinal or challenging – it is woody and gives some freshness. This is a fairly safe choice for a spicy-wood sort of scent. It is good value, and has more character than others of this type. Very good longevity, as it develops along the woody line. I don’t find it bottle-worthy but it is a nice, pleasant scent.

Le Vetyver by Lubin

Funky bottle and box. To me this is a clone of Guerlain Vetiver. It has the same somewhat heavy tobacco-leaf and soapy vibe, the latter aspect is due to the sweet rendition of myrrh. I prefer vetiver either as light/citrus (Givenchy) or green-perky (Mugler Cologne) or even dark and rootsy. This is none of those.

Molinard Homme I by Molinard

This opens with a fresh, minty-green chord. It develops along powdery and fresh lines, a bit grassy, a bit ozonic. I don’t care for this sort of scent, and I don’t find this rendition in any way interesting.

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

This is a smooth green scent, with lovely aromatic notes. At times, I find the scent a little too smooth and wish that it had a bit more briskness or edge. All the elements are well blended, and it is difficult to pick them out as distinct units. There is some spice, but it is very gentle. There are some coniferous notes, slightly mentholated or camphoric. In time, some bright juniper and oudh notes emerge. However, I still find the scent a little (just a little) rich for my blood. This is not an austere scent. There is a dark, heavy and slightly toasty aspect to the dry-down.

02 September, 2010

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

This is an excellent budget fragrance. It starts with a lemony and herbal opening, at times almost minty in its zippy freshness. With some subtle coniferous notes, the scent bears a similarity to Pino Silvestre, but I’d characterize this as smoother and a bit soapier than PS. The herbal notes are well done: they are prominent but not aggressive or harsh. The dry-down is very attractive. Elements which could be heavy (musk, patchouli, leather) are given such a light treatment that they simply add a bit of complexity. Well done!

02 September, 2010

Ajaccio Violets by Geo F Trumper

Notes: Violets from Corsica
    Well, this certainly contains the distinctive notes of violet leaf and flower: a silvery-purple tone that is immediately identifiable. Piercing and bright, it wavers between sweet and dry. It is so old-school that it is kind of radical for a man it. This softens slightly as it settles, and some greenish forest-floor notes appear. Better than Grey Flannel – but still a violet scent. If you like that, you’ll like this. My Knize Two meets all my violet scent needs, which are rare.

No. 89 by Floris

This has a lovely opening of orange blossom. It develops soapy-clean and gentle spice notes. The floral notes are not heavy or too sweet; but they are also intermittent. Light musk, mossy notes, and a nutty vetiver appear. The whole thing is very genteel and civilized. In the latter stages of its dry-down it develops an unfortunate powdery aspect which doesn’t appeal to me. At times, it smells like an old make-up case (foundation powder). A bit fusty, in my opinion.

JF by Floris

This opens with a powerful gin-like note like juniper and herbs. It develops a synthetic, fresh and slightly sweet note. There is some sweet mossy musk, and at times coriander spice. There are grassy and sweet hay notes. I don’t detect any coniferous or resinous cypress notes – that’s a shame. Still, I like everything here except for the synthetic-fresh note; and for me this dominates at the expense of the more interesting elements. The freshness burns off in the dry-down, and there are salty and mossy notes which improve my opinion of this, but only slightly. Not a bad scent, but for me not a compelling one either.

Eau de Santal by Floris

This starts spicy and rich. Even in the opening there are hints of sweet vanilla. The hint gets bigger, and sweeter. In the early stages, Santal smells like a lot of sweet woody men’s scents. Nothing remarkable or distinctive here. Eventually, some creamy sandalwood notes emerge, but they are not inspiring.
    I’m coming down negative on this scent, for its wasted potential of ingredients. Spices? Very little. Green grass? None. Lavender, frankincense or vetiver? None.
    But hey – there is VANILLA! Bleh.

08 August, 2010

GFT by Geo F Trumper

Notes: mandarin, lemon, cypress, tarragon, lavender, cedar, moss, musk

I should like this. It has the sort of ingredients that appeal to me. It isn’t a bad scent, but it winds up as a Wellington lite clone. Like Wellington, it has that distinctive fusty smell of stale lemon drops. Unlike Wellington, it lacks a redeeming note of rosemary or pine. It is supposed to have cypress but I don't find any resinous notes. I don't see much similarity to Cypres-Musc.
    It starts with lovely lemon and other citrus notes. These are good, and persist. Green notes appear, largely the tarragon which has a sweet hay and grass chord. Moss and musk appear, with hints of wood. And then those old lemon drops appear…

08 August, 2010

Special No. 127 by Floris

Top: bergamot, lavender, orange, petitgrain
    Mid: geranium, neroli, rose, ylang-ylang
    Base: musk, patchouli
    I like this a lot. It has a really gorgeous orange blossom opening. It develops a pleasing chord of citrus – floral – soap. The tone is a deep “orange”, and it is burnished and mellow rather than acidic. It evokes the image of a very natural orange liqueur. There are even hints of bark and wood. I also appreciate the geranium-rose note, which adds what I think is a British flair to the proceedings. The florals are not sweet, and the musk-patchouli closer is very restrained and suitable.

04 August, 2010

Limes by Floris

Top: lemon, petitgrain
    Mid: lily of the valley, lime blossom, neroli
    Base: musk

This starts with lovely citrus-green notes. These are quite tart, bracing, and refreshing. These top notes have good longevity for citrus, lasting several minutes. The citrus notes burn off and a classy floral-musk appears. It is not sweet or heavy; rather it is it kind of airy and has echoes of the citrus. The scent overall is clean and classic. No faux notes here. It lasts about half an hour on me. Splash it on and enjoy!

04 August, 2010

Lemon Eau de Toilette by Art of Shaving

This is a very pleasant scent. It has creamy lemon notes with a mossy/light musk dry-down. I find the duration to be pretty good, and the lemon is quite natural smelling. It seems to me to be very similar to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, without the pine-rosemary zing. The drydown is almost identical to my nose.

31st July, 2010

Cefiro by Floris

Starts with a green citrus blast. The various citrus notes all jumble together and get a bit dense and muddled. The scent gets too sweet, almost cloying. The wood notes do not develop. What we wind up with is a rather cheap and annoying musk – synthetic and unattractive. The talc in this scent is much better! It is lighter and the wood notes come through.

25 July, 2010

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

* citrus (citron, bergamot)
    Notes:
    * spice (coriander, ginger, cardomom, black pepper)
    * green (artemesia, green tea)
    * wood (birch, cedar)
    * base (white musk, amber)

Opens with lovely citrus, followed quickly by peppery spice. The spice blends effortlessly into woody notes with a hint of green. The birch has a lemony aspect, and that shakes hands with a sharp, woody cedar note.
    Some find this a lightweight scent -- I don't! With several spritzes it is substantial though admittedly translucent. Not as green as Jardin sur le Nil, not as birch-y as Declaration. Invigorating, refreshing, a real energy-boost.

22 July, 2010

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

This is slightly sweet, but not cloying. It is done in the usual smooth, round Prada style. All the elements are blended together and they are difficult to pick out as distinct notes. I certainly don’t get any orange notes. The incense seems green and suggests frankincense. The wood is light. Iris emerges in the dry down. Nothing wrong with this, but neither is it memorable.

20th July, 2010

Ginestre by Santa Maria Novella

Citrus, ginestra, oakmoss
    This is a good, distinctive scent. It is centered on ginestra (broom) which has a floral, hay-like and honeyed character. The scent is true to type. At times it has a grassy green note; at other times it is a bit like iris; and at other times it has a rich, honeycomb/waxy note. The drydown is satisfyingly mossy. This is an outdoorsy sort of scent.

15 July, 2010

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

Notes: Javanese vetiver, rare woods, iodine, Burmese spices
    I like this scent. The grassy and cushy vetiver combines well with salty-briny iodine. I’m pretty sure that the ‘rare woods’ are oud, that goes well with the iodine and vetiver. The spices likely include clove and perhaps nutmeg. These earthy, pungent spices work well with the rootsy vetiver.
    Update -- a bright vetiver, green and grassy. Good spices, but not heavy. The iodine note works well, perhaps it comes from the oud. Not as powerful as I remember it. Wears well.

14 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

This is a pleasant scent, but it is not what I would expect given its ingredients. Specifically, I think a scent which has galbanum and frankincense should have a green and coniferous or resinous quality. The “Somalian incense” here smells more like myrrh to me, since it is slightly sweet and soapy. The cedar should give some wood notes, and the vetiver should give earthy or grassy notes – but I get none of these.
    What I do get is a grey/silver sort of scent. Iris and soap notes dominate. This is done in the typical Prada style; which is round, smooth and has no edges. The scent is attractive, soapy and slightly sweet, and sits close to the skin.
    [update} What an odd scent! Fresh, soapy, clean, somewhat juvenile in style. Sweet and kind of twee in a pretty way. The myrrh is done in a sweet-soapy style. There is a fresh, slighly ozonic note here. Does not evoke a masculine image –a young boy perhaps, prior to his first beard. This isn’t a scrubber, it is just not my style.

12 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2010)

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

I have completely re-written my review, including a change from neutral to thumbs up. This is a challenging, complex scent. It cannot be assimilated in one or a few trials. I find that it has parts which attract me greatly, and parts with which I struggle.
    First, I am happy to have a notes list, which seems accurate to what I detect.
    Notes: bergamot, mandarin orange, galbanum, spearmint, basil, clove, labdanum, smoky cypress, moss, musk.
    This starts with very green herbal and coniferous notes. This phase is excellent, but regrettably very brief.
    The scent quickly develops a gruff, bold, assertive and spicy character -- very old-school! With its clove-y spice note, it reminds me of the revamped Rive Gauche, which Tom Ford designed. At times, Gucci Nobile stands as an apt comparison.
    Then appears the aspect I find is at once unique and challenging. It truly seems to me to capture accurately a dirty old metallic ashtray or an old clay pipe bowl. Sharp, slightly stale notes of smoke and minerals abound, and persist. Perhaps there are also vestiges of cold dark coffee drying in a cup, for a true cigarette and coffee vibe.
    This complex chord persists through the life of the scent. It is never unpleasant, and at times it conveys a world-weary character that is charming. At other times its "dirtyness" seems a bit problematic to me.
    The dry-down generally is pleasing, at times even haunting. The mint keeps reappearing to brighten the otherwise dusky proceedings. At times, I do get a Yatagan vibe in the later stages.
    I wish it was more woody and resinous. I love cypress, and find it overwhelmed here. I wish that ashtray note was less prominent.
    Do I find it bottle-worthy? No, not at this point. Yet I cannot dismiss it. It is a very striking scent. It invites further attention.

05 July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04 January, 2011)

L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque

This is pretty good stuff. Anything that puts wood, spice and incense into a dry package has pretty much got my interest, and this one does that. There are good citrus notes at the start: the orange and grapefruit are realistic and distinct. The scent takes on a clean, bright character with hints of incense, wood, and a spice melange. The scent is subtle and enjoyable. At times a restrained and dignified rose note appears, and that is very well done. The scent is quietly compelling, dry, and translucent.

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

Well, this does have amber in its name and is an oriental in design. Although those things usually have little appeal to me, I do find this to be an interesting scent. It starts off very ambery and rich, with plummy and buttery notes. It is very sweet. The sweetness abates somewhat, and interesting incense and leather notes appear. The scent takes on a brown hue in my mind. The leather note is intriguing – I’d say that people who like leather scents should check this out. Suddenly the sweetness appears, in a new guise: cocoa! I get the definite note of chocolate (blended with vanilla and cinnamon) here. Not my style, but an interesting experience.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This has quite a sweet opening, due to the honey. There are also floral notes of some kind here. The scent is rich and opulent. There are only hints of a generic sort of tea. In my opinion, lapsang-souchong should lend a really formidable and distinctive smoky note. At times, a light smoke and wood note appears. The wood seems like pencil shavings so must be cedar. I think the smoke and wood should be increased, and the honey decreased. Then you’d have something interesting. This is rather bland.

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque

This starts with orange blossom, which changes into a lemon-drop note. There is also a lot minty notes here, ones that are sometimes green and other times a bit like toothpaste. As the everlasting flower appears, it gives a dusky, metallic and somewhat heavy note that is something like white musk. I don’t care for this final aspect and thus I don’t really like this scent.

18 June, 2010

l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

Notes: incense, sandalwood, rose, tobacco, spice (cardamom, pepper, ginger).
    Crisp and juicy ginger – that’s the distinguishing feature of this scent. Sometimes it smells like a freshly-cut root, other times it is like the pickled ginger at a sushi restaurant. Many scents promise ginger, this one delivers! The spices are woody-dry and very good. The incense is haunting, dry, and not over-done. The scent is green and lively. It is bright and invigorating, a real tonic, just like fresh ginger. There are some smoky, tobacco-leaf notes in the background. The dry-down is a satisfying, gentle spice chord. I like this scent a lot.

18 June, 2010

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

(revised)
    Notes: bergamot, citron, petitgrain, bitter orange, galbanum, lentisque (mastic resin), lavender, fig leaf, lemon tree wood.
    This has a marvelous dry-herbal-woody opening, with a hint of lavender. I wish that lasted longer. The scent is very lemony, but it is round and not acidic. Lots of creamy fig notes which at times seem like coconut and at other times somewhat peachy. The mastic resin combines with the wood and fig to give an earthy, compelling and even haunting quality. This earthy quality earns this the "garrigue" designation. My reservation is the fig. I appreciate it but don't like it on myself. I usually find that creamy-sweet note is not quite my style. Still, this is a marvelous scent. I don't get anything starchy, cold or skanky here...

15 June, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

L'Eau de Neroli by Diptyque

This starts with a gorgeous, fresh, slightly soapy orange blossom note. It quickly deepens into a white musk scent. This is a very simple scent: orange blossom and musk, that’s about it. Unisex in orientation, and perhaps slightly sweet in character. The dry down develops a slight woody aspect. The musk dominates here, a bit more than I care for. Nothing original or distinctive in this scent, it is simply Diptyque’s version of an orange blossom special.

15 June, 2010

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This has a nice but fleeting citrus opening. Although galbanum is not listed, I’m sure I catch whiffs of it – there is a lovely green note here. Essentially this is an attractive woody spice scent. It is not sweet and not too dry. The spices are well blended and hard to pick out, though with time the ginger does become distinct. There is nothing especially innovative here, or unique. It is a lovely gentle scent.

15 June, 2010

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

For me, this is a distinctive and slightly odd scent. It is quite dry, with notes of gunpowder, smoke, resin, rubber, and black pepper. At times, it reminds me of Trussardi White, but it is not as creamy and more tangy and bold. Interesting, to be sure. I'm not ruling it out... but I'm not rushing to buy it just yet.

08 June, 2010

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Notes: ivy leaves, cyclamen, geranium, green pepper, ambergris, palissander wood, musk.
    Well, I like this scent a lot! I think that any green fan should give it a try. It is SO green, in a leafy-fresh, crisp (even crunchy), sappy and slightly resinous way. Zing! (but not Dzing!). This is absolutely not sweet or floral, not is it painfully dry. It simply is a leafy scent, with the tangy bit of green pepper. I think CB I Hate Perfume tries to do this sort thing but does not succeed as well as Diptyque does here. If you like Sisley's Eau de Campagne, I am sure you'd like this. It is a simple scent, and quite satisfying. The dry down has light wood and musk notes which wear very well and on me has good longevity.
    It is not as herbal as Virgilio, but it is quite good.

07 June, 2010