Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

For me, this is a distinctive and slightly odd scent. It is quite dry, with notes of gunpowder, smoke, resin, rubber, and black pepper. At times, it reminds me of Trussardi White, but it is not as creamy and more tangy and bold. Interesting, to be sure. I'm not ruling it out... but I'm not rushing to buy it just yet.

08 June, 2010

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Notes: ivy leaves, cyclamen, geranium, green pepper, ambergris, palissander wood, musk.
    Well, I like this scent a lot! I think that any green fan should give it a try. It is SO green, in a leafy-fresh, crisp (even crunchy), sappy and slightly resinous way. Zing! (but not Dzing!). This is absolutely not sweet or floral, not is it painfully dry. It simply is a leafy scent, with the tangy bit of green pepper. I think CB I Hate Perfume tries to do this sort thing but does not succeed as well as Diptyque does here. If you like Sisley's Eau de Campagne, I am sure you'd like this. It is a simple scent, and quite satisfying. The dry down has light wood and musk notes which wear very well and on me has good longevity.
    It is not as herbal as Virgilio, but it is quite good.

07 June, 2010

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Not my kind of scent, but not as bad as I had feared. This starts as a sweet, watery scent. The 'water' here is like a pond rather than an aquatic-ozonic note. It is sheer, translucent, with green leafy notes which could be like water lily. Perhaps I can detect faint spices from time to time. I certainly don't detect any orange or orange blossom. The sweetness is hard to describe - it is not floral, not gourmand. It is a somewhat interesting light, sheer sweetness. Eventually the vanilla gets more prominent, and I say bye-bye.

07 June, 2010

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Wow! What a lemony opening! Briefly, this seems like it will be a brisk and refreshingly enjoyable scent. Little bits of vanilla from the tonka appear, and the scent becomes more like a lemon cookie than the fruit itself. Aquatic notes and white musk take over, and the whole thing becomes very one-dimensional. Synthetic lemon goes on and on with no relief. Boring, verging on irritating.

24 May, 2010

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

This has a fresh, floral, slightly citrus opening. "Fresh" in the ozonic sense of the word. The scent is somewhat sweet, bland and generic in character. I don't get any spice or wood notes. The sweetness gets quite tiresome and synthetic in character. There is an oddly metallic and tangy note in the drydown which is unpleasant.

24 May, 2010

Mimosa by Florascent

Mimosa, rose, violet leaves, tonka beans, rosewood
    This is a green, bright, spicy-cool floral. It is not sweet and not heavy. At times there are faint earthy notes, and at other times a slight herbal note that is a distant cousin to celery leaves. The rose note is subdued, but apparent - a combination of rose blossoms and rosewood. The rosewood also brings a restrained but pleasant woody note to the scent. Due to its green and translucent nature, this reminds me a bit of Bond No. 9 Gramercy Park. I like this, it is a very pleasant scent.
    This is in the Aqua Floralis line of Florascent.

12 May, 2010

Pivione by Florascent

Peony, Sicilian lemon, rose, jasmine
    I think peony must be a difficult scent to replicate or evoke. Peony flowers have such a marvelous scent, like rose and lily of the valley. With the added notes of rose and jasmine, we should have a gorgeous floral here.
    What we do have is a lemony scent, which develops into a generic (and fairly green) floral scent. The scent is light, not too sweet, and somewhat translucent. I don't get any specific floral notes. As the scent develops, it shows a vague and somewhat metallic or even aquatic character. Given the disconnect between what it should be and what it is, I can't endorse it.
    This is in the Aqua Floralis line of Florascent.

12 May, 2010

Aqua Aromatica Violetta by Florascent

Notes: Parma violet, iris rook, bergamot.
    I take marks off because the scent fails to deliver much in the way of a violet note. It is neither bright and piercing (the leaf) or soft, earthy and heady (the flower). The bergamot gives a fruity note, and the product notes claim that violet typically has a framboise (raspberry) character. Well, that's news to me. There is slightly tart character to this, the scent reminds me of a sour berry pie. At times, there appear to be pencil-shaving cedar notes. This is not an unpleasant scent, but I don't particularly care for it.

Aqua Aromatica Thé Vert by Florascent

Notes: Chinese green tea, citrus, jasmine, osmanthus, cedar wood
    This is an aromatic green scent. Those notes are dusky and interesting. Certainly it evokes (among other things) a cup of cooled green tea. There is a sort of haunting note at work. The florals are not sweet, and perhaps could be more distinct - they come across as generic rather than specifically jasmine or osmanthus. I don't get a particular wood note. A unisex scent.

Aqua Aromatica Regia by Florascent

Notes: bergamot, lemon, neroli, rosemary, clary sage, cassis bud.
    This is intended to be a classic EDC (lemon and light herbs) which organically-minded people can choose. As such, this not re-inventing any wheels - it simply is intended to be that type of product for those sort of consumers. The opening notes are lovely, with lemon and orange blossom. The light herbs are enjoyable. The scent has roundness and some depth. As usual, it is short-lived, typical for a citrus scent and especially a natural one. A unisex scent.

Aqua Aromatica Lavande by Florascent

Notes: lavender, sage, thyme, rockrose, amber.
    The lavender is regrettably brief. At its peak it comes across as well-done: aromatic, dry, herbal, invigorating. It blends well with the other dry herbal notes. Unfortunately, the pleasant side does not last, and is replaced by a sort of metallic note. It reminds me a bit of violet leaf. The scent loses its dryness and gets slightly sweet. I have high expectations for a lavender scent, and this one fails to deliver what I'm seeking.

Casbah by Florascent

Notes: mimosa, black tea, cardamom, Moroccan rose, spices, precious woods
    This opens with a lovely floral note which is deep, mysterious and not too sweet. Then the scent brightens up. Perhaps the tea is mint tea, which is popular in the Middle East. Perhaps the precious woods are in fact oud, which would add a compelling, bright note. This is not a heavy, opulent oriental; it is better understood as a spicy floral. I appreciate it.

Medina by Florascent

Notes: artemesia, sage, hyacinth, precious spices, pathouli, saffron, Atlas cedar, iris, vetyver.
    This is a dry oriental, and I like it! It has an appealing dusky, dusty green herbal opening. It opens into a good display of spices, principally cinnamon and cardamom. The cinnamon is dry, in a woody rather than apple-pie style. Cedar and vetiver add woody and grassy notes. The dry-down is cool and expansive. In many ways, this reminds me of another good dry oriental: Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh.
    This is listed here as a feminine scent. Far from it. It is so dry that it easily can be worn by men.

30th April, 2010

Aqua Colonia Patchouly by Florascent

Notes: Turkish rose, bergamot, sage, ginger, patchouli
    I was pleasantly surprised by this one! I don't usually care for patchouli, finding it to be sweet, heavy, overbearing, and nutty-brown. The patchouli is given a different treatment here, revealing its similarity to mint.
    This scent is herbal, very medicinal, green and cool. I get a lot of minty-eucalyptus notes. There are hints of rose in the background. At times, it reminds me a bit of Tiger Balm! As the scent develops, it settles into a slightly sweet, earthy tone that is pleasant.

28 April, 2010

Tango by Florascent

Notes: gardenia, wild orchid, opoponax, patchouli
    This is an interesting scent. It is a very sweet and assertive floral - not my style at all. Yet, for a while I find things to appreciate.
    The opening is rich, heady, sweet and quite floral. It creates a powerful presence; at once sharp, resolute, steely and not at all shy or demure. In other words, not the usual floral chord. This deepens with myrrh tones, and the patchouli is only a minor note.
    However, in a short time the florals get too big and put out considerable sillage. As I said, that is not my style. I'll give it a neutral rating for its interesting character.

28 April, 2010

Bravado 3 by Baxter of California

I'm gonna be cranky on this one. It isn't an offensive scent, yet I'm giving it a thumbs down. Why? I'm getting fed up with the bland, boring, fresh and slightly synthetic-smelling scents which dominate the marketplace. There is nothing new, interesting, or particularly well done here.
    It starts with a generic sort of citrus note, a bit plummy in a bergamot-esque way. Despite two sorts of lavender listed, I can't find any such thing. Also there is no detectable hint of any spice. There is a very low-key fresh laundry-detergent note, and a soft musk dry down. Wood notes? Couldn't find 'em. Meh.

Aqua Colonia Habanna by Florascent

Notes: orange blossom, gardenia, briar, rosewood, pimento, cardamom, oakmoss
    This scent is intended to evoke the scent of a distant fine cigar. I think it achieve that - it reminds me very much of Czech & Speake's interesting Cuba.
    The citrus and floral notes are very attractive. Quickly a smoky note appears, framed by peppery spices. The scent settles into an interesting and haunting vibe, with something akin to old stones in the sun, or minerals.

Aqua Colonia Vetyver by Florascent

Notes: grapefruit, geranium, clove, bay leaf, pepper, vetyver root
    In my opinion, this is high-class bay rum. The clove spice is peppery and the bay leaf is dusky, dusty and herbal. The vetiver is done in an earthy style with a strong tang of iodine. The overall effect is dry and somewhat medicinal. An interesting scent, but I'm not a big fan of bay rum style scents. It does have great longevity.

Aqua Colonia Du Soleil by Florascent

I had high hopes for this one - it is supposed to deliver a 'garrigue' vibe. The idea of a resinous, herbal, warm-earth breeze is very appealing to me. This scent falls short of that ideal. It is a light (very light) herbal scent... and that's about it.
    The herbal notes are either 'refined', 'restrained', or barely existent (depending on one's point of view). The character of the scent is translucent and dry (which is good) but it lacks any sort of distinctive presence (not so good). A clean, refreshing sort of scent which is pleasant but perhaps not worth the expense.

Aqua Colonia Santal by Florascent

Notes: spices, rose, jasmine, davana, sandalwood
    This should be more. It is quite a spice chest (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg), and it is dry and attractive. The sandalwood is its downfall. Sure, there are woody notes here but I don't think they are the creamy and deep notes which good sandalwood should present. I find this to be a spicy scent with a hint of wood.

Bravado 2 by Baxter of California

This is a nice scent. It has a very lemony opening burst -- full of energy. Good longevity on the citrus notes (half an hour). Settles into a gentle light wood and musk scent. Not terrifically distinctive but it is well done. The "vanilla" (thankfully) is not prominent.

24 April, 2010

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

The pyramid for this scent is topsy-turvy: woody notes on top, citrus as the base. Does the scent live up to this concept? In my opinion, it does not. All I get is jumbled sort of scent. It is not too dry, not too sweet, not very woody, and not very citrusy. I think it is a unisex sort of scent.
    I don’t find a lot to get excited about here, positively or negatively. The wood notes are not particularly interesting. The salty, slightly marine note (supposedly ambergris-like) is nothing exceptional. Instead of an interesting inverted pyramid of notes, the various elements present themselves simultaneously. The scent sits close to the skin, and has a slightly sweet dry down.

16 April, 2010

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

There are some very interesting herbs here, and for a while I enjoyed this scent. Ultimately the scent performed in the usual Lutenesque manner – that is, sweet and persistent. And man, is it persistent! I am still haunted by a ghostly trace a full day (and many scrubbings) later.
    The scent opens with a very sweet and powdery blast. Then, a very good sandalwood note appears, along with herbal and spicy notes. The bay leaf (laurel) is quite pronounced, and the sandalwood has a pleasant, bark-like character. The coriander spice is nutty and attractive: often in some scents it turns into a clone of cumin with sweat-like connotations (but not here). The scent is distinctive for having a bright, lively character. The patchouli is more minty than earthy. The resins give a hint of balsam and vanilla, but for a while they are restrained. If the scent had stopped there, I would be satisfied.
    But no, the scent persists, grows, and gets tiresome. The balsam and vanilla notes increase, the patchouli gets heavier, the herbs go away and the brightness dims.
    I’ll give it a neutral for a promising middle phase.

15 April, 2010

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

I am surprised that I do not like this scent. On me, it is a very green, grassy scent... a style I usually appreciate. I'm not crazy about fig but I don't dislike it. And there is lots of fig here. So what's the problem for me?
    This seems like a fig soliflore, and a rather shallow and unappealing one. It doesn't have any depth. For me, the grassy (and eventually hay-like) fig notes quickly get tiresome. The fig note is unrelenting and un-ameliorated by anything else. The cassis must be cassis bud (not fruit), since there are no plummy-ness or red berry notes to be found here.
    Perhaps this would add a nice figgy-green spark to something rounder -- that is part of the JM design. But, judging this on its own, I can't endorse it.

14 April, 2010

Jicky by Guerlain

I respect and admire this scent – for its place in history, and for its design. The powdery sweet notes are not to my taste, but I recognize excellent design here notwithstanding. The opening is extremely complex. Many notes appear simultaneously: citrus, iris, leather, florals, and spice. The overall effect is cool, slightly sweet, and definitely powdery. The scent is remarkably cool and airy; it suggests mint without apparently containing it. So far, the scent is translucent and quite interesting. Sure, there are very apparent leather and civet notes; but this is an elegant animal. Gradually the leather and balsamic notes gain in prominence; yet there is still an aura of freshness and vitality here. New spice notes appear. Rarely have I seen such complexity in the dry down of a scent. Complex, elegant, remarkable. I wish I liked sweetness and powder! I would certainly wear it then. I will revisit it, and learn from it each time I try it; even if I only admire it from a distance.

13 April, 2010

Tabac Blond by Caron

As a leather/oriental this scent is not at all my style. However, I can say that it is very attractive and quite striking. The opening is a dense cloud of sweet floral and leather notes. They have a classy, elegant, chic tone. The scent opens up and becomes more translucent. Iris notes provide a dry, slightly metallic counterpoint to the sweet vanilla and leather. At this point, the scent seems to me to be a masterpiece of design. There are amazing depths and contrasts at work. Certainly any leather fan must try this scent. Gradually, the iris becomes more prominent on my skin. That is not a note I enjoy – I find its nutty, earthy tones get tiresome.
    Despite my personal tastes, I recognize the brilliance of this and give it a thumbs up.

13 April, 2010

Lalique White by Lalique

I like this scent. It starts with good, deep citrus notes that are rich and aromatic. They are joined by creamy spices. At first, the scent suggests a bit of sweetness, but it never becomes problematically heavy. The scent becomes interesting as it develops both cool and warm aspects. The warmth is understandable, coming from the woody spices. The airy-minty aspect? Perhaps this is due to the violet leaves. The coolness does suggest a “white” scent in my mind. A bit of cedar/pencil shavings emerges, and interacts well with the spices. The dry-down is lovely and has good duration.

08 April, 2010

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I like this – it is an oriental which I can appreciate for its restraint and light style. It has two distinct phases. The first is an herbal-green scent very much in the style of Eau D’Hadrien. There is an aromatic citrus/green aspect which suggests a fine, classic EdC. Good herbs and spices emerge. The Eau D’Hadrien notes become smoother and rounder. This phase is beautiful and classy. The citrus notes have great duration, and pick up the cypress to create a lemon-wood chord. The second phase presents the heavier oriental basenotes. Due to the restraint of their treatment, they don’t overwhelm or become cloying. They suggest a slightly smoky, woody cloud of light musk, spice and amber. Yes, a little vanilla is here but even I can appreciate it (a rarity for me!). Very well done. For those who find Eau D’Hadrien interesting but too austere, this is worth checking out.

08 April, 2010

Eucalyptus by Thymes

For me, this had three phases.
    An opening like a white mint candy.
    A mid like a sour lemon candy.
    A dry-down like a salty, sour lemon candy.

04 April, 2010

Windsor by Creed

I was fortunate to receive a sample vial decant, and have been trying this much-discussed scent. I know there are many advocates of this scent. For my part, I appreciate it, yet wish it was more. Its most serious deficiency for me is the relative lack of PINE.
    I get an aromatic, distinctly medicinal opening. Some have called it "Ben Gay", I find it like rubber and band-aids, with a bit of lineament. There also is a minty, dried toothpaste note. (Perhaps these are from the eucalyptus rather than the pine.) Now, neither of these sounds nice, and yet I find them oddly appealing. I don't get any citrus. I don't get any rose.
    Gradually the cedar develops, first in kind of a toasty way, then in a very mellow and satisfying woody tone. Here, if I use my imagination, I might detect a tiny amount of pine as well.
    I'd like a crisp, juniper-y gin & tonic, while sniffing my rose boutonniere, walking through the pine-y woods. This scent isn't quite that.
    Given the price and the claims to high-end quality, I expected more. So I only award a neutral rating. The scent didn't knock my conehead socks off.

30th March, 2010