Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Aqua Aromatica Lavande by Florascent

Notes: lavender, sage, thyme, rockrose, amber.
    The lavender is regrettably brief. At its peak it comes across as well-done: aromatic, dry, herbal, invigorating. It blends well with the other dry herbal notes. Unfortunately, the pleasant side does not last, and is replaced by a sort of metallic note. It reminds me a bit of violet leaf. The scent loses its dryness and gets slightly sweet. I have high expectations for a lavender scent, and this one fails to deliver what I'm seeking.

03rd May, 2010

Casbah by Florascent

Notes: mimosa, black tea, cardamom, Moroccan rose, spices, precious woods
    This opens with a lovely floral note which is deep, mysterious and not too sweet. Then the scent brightens up. Perhaps the tea is mint tea, which is popular in the Middle East. Perhaps the precious woods are in fact oud, which would add a compelling, bright note. This is not a heavy, opulent oriental; it is better understood as a spicy floral. I appreciate it.

03rd May, 2010

Medina by Florascent

Notes: artemesia, sage, hyacinth, precious spices, pathouli, saffron, Atlas cedar, iris, vetyver.
    This is a dry oriental, and I like it! It has an appealing dusky, dusty green herbal opening. It opens into a good display of spices, principally cinnamon and cardamom. The cinnamon is dry, in a woody rather than apple-pie style. Cedar and vetiver add woody and grassy notes. The dry-down is cool and expansive. In many ways, this reminds me of another good dry oriental: Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh.
    This is listed here as a feminine scent. Far from it. It is so dry that it easily can be worn by men.

30th April, 2010

Aqua Colonia Patchouly by Florascent

Notes: Turkish rose, bergamot, sage, ginger, patchouli
    I was pleasantly surprised by this one! I don't usually care for patchouli, finding it to be sweet, heavy, overbearing, and nutty-brown. The patchouli is given a different treatment here, revealing its similarity to mint.
    This scent is herbal, very medicinal, green and cool. I get a lot of minty-eucalyptus notes. There are hints of rose in the background. At times, it reminds me a bit of Tiger Balm! As the scent develops, it settles into a slightly sweet, earthy tone that is pleasant.

28th April, 2010

Tango by Florascent

Notes: gardenia, wild orchid, opoponax, patchouli
    This is an interesting scent. It is a very sweet and assertive floral - not my style at all. Yet, for a while I find things to appreciate.
    The opening is rich, heady, sweet and quite floral. It creates a powerful presence; at once sharp, resolute, steely and not at all shy or demure. In other words, not the usual floral chord. This deepens with myrrh tones, and the patchouli is only a minor note.
    However, in a short time the florals get too big and put out considerable sillage. As I said, that is not my style. I'll give it a neutral rating for its interesting character.

28th April, 2010

Bravado 3 by Baxter of California

I'm gonna be cranky on this one. It isn't an offensive scent, yet I'm giving it a thumbs down. Why? I'm getting fed up with the bland, boring, fresh and slightly synthetic-smelling scents which dominate the marketplace. There is nothing new, interesting, or particularly well done here.
    It starts with a generic sort of citrus note, a bit plummy in a bergamot-esque way. Despite two sorts of lavender listed, I can't find any such thing. Also there is no detectable hint of any spice. There is a very low-key fresh laundry-detergent note, and a soft musk dry down. Wood notes? Couldn't find 'em. Meh.

Aqua Colonia Habanna by Florascent

Notes: orange blossom, gardenia, briar, rosewood, pimento, cardamom, oakmoss
    This scent is intended to evoke the scent of a distant fine cigar. I think it achieve that - it reminds me very much of Czech & Speake's interesting Cuba.
    The citrus and floral notes are very attractive. Quickly a smoky note appears, framed by peppery spices. The scent settles into an interesting and haunting vibe, with something akin to old stones in the sun, or minerals.

Aqua Colonia Vetyver by Florascent

Notes: grapefruit, geranium, clove, bay leaf, pepper, vetyver root
    In my opinion, this is high-class bay rum. The clove spice is peppery and the bay leaf is dusky, dusty and herbal. The vetiver is done in an earthy style with a strong tang of iodine. The overall effect is dry and somewhat medicinal. An interesting scent, but I'm not a big fan of bay rum style scents. It does have great longevity.

Aqua Colonia Du Soleil by Florascent

I had high hopes for this one - it is supposed to deliver a 'garrigue' vibe. The idea of a resinous, herbal, warm-earth breeze is very appealing to me. This scent falls short of that ideal. It is a light (very light) herbal scent... and that's about it.
    The herbal notes are either 'refined', 'restrained', or barely existent (depending on one's point of view). The character of the scent is translucent and dry (which is good) but it lacks any sort of distinctive presence (not so good). A clean, refreshing sort of scent which is pleasant but perhaps not worth the expense.

Aqua Colonia Santal by Florascent

Notes: spices, rose, jasmine, davana, sandalwood
    This should be more. It is quite a spice chest (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg), and it is dry and attractive. The sandalwood is its downfall. Sure, there are woody notes here but I don't think they are the creamy and deep notes which good sandalwood should present. I find this to be a spicy scent with a hint of wood.

Bravado 2 by Baxter of California

This is a nice scent. It has a very lemony opening burst -- full of energy. Good longevity on the citrus notes (half an hour). Settles into a gentle light wood and musk scent. Not terrifically distinctive but it is well done. The "vanilla" (thankfully) is not prominent.

24th April, 2010

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

The pyramid for this scent is topsy-turvy: woody notes on top, citrus as the base. Does the scent live up to this concept? In my opinion, it does not. All I get is jumbled sort of scent. It is not too dry, not too sweet, not very woody, and not very citrusy. I think it is a unisex sort of scent.
    I don’t find a lot to get excited about here, positively or negatively. The wood notes are not particularly interesting. The salty, slightly marine note (supposedly ambergris-like) is nothing exceptional. Instead of an interesting inverted pyramid of notes, the various elements present themselves simultaneously. The scent sits close to the skin, and has a slightly sweet dry down.

16th April, 2010

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

There are some very interesting herbs here, and for a while I enjoyed this scent. Ultimately the scent performed in the usual Lutenesque manner – that is, sweet and persistent. And man, is it persistent! I am still haunted by a ghostly trace a full day (and many scrubbings) later.
    The scent opens with a very sweet and powdery blast. Then, a very good sandalwood note appears, along with herbal and spicy notes. The bay leaf (laurel) is quite pronounced, and the sandalwood has a pleasant, bark-like character. The coriander spice is nutty and attractive: often in some scents it turns into a clone of cumin with sweat-like connotations (but not here). The scent is distinctive for having a bright, lively character. The patchouli is more minty than earthy. The resins give a hint of balsam and vanilla, but for a while they are restrained. If the scent had stopped there, I would be satisfied.
    But no, the scent persists, grows, and gets tiresome. The balsam and vanilla notes increase, the patchouli gets heavier, the herbs go away and the brightness dims.
    I’ll give it a neutral for a promising middle phase.

15th April, 2010

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

I am surprised that I do not like this scent. On me, it is a very green, grassy scent... a style I usually appreciate. I'm not crazy about fig but I don't dislike it. And there is lots of fig here. So what's the problem for me?
    This seems like a fig soliflore, and a rather shallow and unappealing one. It doesn't have any depth. For me, the grassy (and eventually hay-like) fig notes quickly get tiresome. The fig note is unrelenting and un-ameliorated by anything else. The cassis must be cassis bud (not fruit), since there are no plummy-ness or red berry notes to be found here.
    Perhaps this would add a nice figgy-green spark to something rounder -- that is part of the JM design. But, judging this on its own, I can't endorse it.

14th April, 2010

Jicky by Guerlain

I respect and admire this scent – for its place in history, and for its design. The powdery sweet notes are not to my taste, but I recognize excellent design here notwithstanding. The opening is extremely complex. Many notes appear simultaneously: citrus, iris, leather, florals, and spice. The overall effect is cool, slightly sweet, and definitely powdery. The scent is remarkably cool and airy; it suggests mint without apparently containing it. So far, the scent is translucent and quite interesting. Sure, there are very apparent leather and civet notes; but this is an elegant animal. Gradually the leather and balsamic notes gain in prominence; yet there is still an aura of freshness and vitality here. New spice notes appear. Rarely have I seen such complexity in the dry down of a scent. Complex, elegant, remarkable. I wish I liked sweetness and powder! I would certainly wear it then. I will revisit it, and learn from it each time I try it; even if I only admire it from a distance.

13th April, 2010

Tabac Blond by Caron

As a leather/oriental this scent is not at all my style. However, I can say that it is very attractive and quite striking. The opening is a dense cloud of sweet floral and leather notes. They have a classy, elegant, chic tone. The scent opens up and becomes more translucent. Iris notes provide a dry, slightly metallic counterpoint to the sweet vanilla and leather. At this point, the scent seems to me to be a masterpiece of design. There are amazing depths and contrasts at work. Certainly any leather fan must try this scent. Gradually, the iris becomes more prominent on my skin. That is not a note I enjoy – I find its nutty, earthy tones get tiresome.
    Despite my personal tastes, I recognize the brilliance of this and give it a thumbs up.

13th April, 2010

Lalique White by Lalique

I like this scent. It starts with good, deep citrus notes that are rich and aromatic. They are joined by creamy spices. At first, the scent suggests a bit of sweetness, but it never becomes problematically heavy. The scent becomes interesting as it develops both cool and warm aspects. The warmth is understandable, coming from the woody spices. The airy-minty aspect? Perhaps this is due to the violet leaves. The coolness does suggest a “white” scent in my mind. A bit of cedar/pencil shavings emerges, and interacts well with the spices. The dry-down is lovely and has good duration.

08th April, 2010

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

I like this – it is an oriental which I can appreciate for its restraint and light style. It has two distinct phases. The first is an herbal-green scent very much in the style of Eau D’Hadrien. There is an aromatic citrus/green aspect which suggests a fine, classic EdC. Good herbs and spices emerge. The Eau D’Hadrien notes become smoother and rounder. This phase is beautiful and classy. The citrus notes have great duration, and pick up the cypress to create a lemon-wood chord. The second phase presents the heavier oriental basenotes. Due to the restraint of their treatment, they don’t overwhelm or become cloying. They suggest a slightly smoky, woody cloud of light musk, spice and amber. Yes, a little vanilla is here but even I can appreciate it (a rarity for me!). Very well done. For those who find Eau D’Hadrien interesting but too austere, this is worth checking out.

08th April, 2010

Eucalyptus by Thymes

For me, this had three phases.
    An opening like a white mint candy.
    A mid like a sour lemon candy.
    A dry-down like a salty, sour lemon candy.

04th April, 2010

Windsor by Creed

Revised review.

No pine. None. Zero.
    Eucalyptus dominates, unfortunately, with an aggressive rubbery-minty aspect.
    Vague wood lurks in the background.
    Gee, I don't want to smell like "toothpaste and toothpicks."
    Eventually settles into a soft woody scent, with mint and light musk.

What irritates me is the potential suggested by the list of notes. It is a role call of the British Empire. And what is delivered is so mediocre. And expensive!

30th March, 2010 (Last Edited: 24th October, 2014)

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

According to the notes on the sample card, this contains synthetic ambergris, “liquid mint,” “moss crystals” and “organic vetyver.”
    This is quite dreadful. It comes across as a sweet mint candy sort of scent: cheap, synthetic, loud, cloying, obnoxious, garish. Perhaps there is a hint of industrial vat chocolate here… why not?

30th March, 2010

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Saffron, patchouli oil, African wenge wood.
    First things first: this scent does not seem “black,” and it does not evoke cashmere.
    It is a very sweet scent, yet it has an oddly metallic-tinny edge. It is so sweet it is foody, like a slice of pound cake. And like pound cake, it is dense. I can’t pick out any particular elements. Not an attractive scent to my nose.

30th March, 2010

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Sadly, this does not work at all for me. Even in the tiniest, micro-doses this sits on my skin and screams “PATCHOULI HELL.” No green, no pine, no woods.
    The opening blast has some promise. There are aromatic juniper berries with a gin-like note. There is artemesia, here given a tarragon-like treatment which suggests cloves and sweet hay. The scent so far is cool, airy, a bit powdery, and slightly sweet. Clop, clop, clop… the boots of patchouli are marching in. Very sweet, tangy, leathery, toasted-nut patchouli. Help, where is the soap and scrubbing brush?
    Folks, I like coniferous scents, green scents, mossy scents. I just don’t find those things here, in any way, shape or form.

29th March, 2010

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Not an exciting scent. The opening is the best part: there are invigorating citrus and crisp green notes which give a sporty, light tone. Hints of peppery spice add to the appeal. Then the chocolate note from the cacao pod appears… and strikes a discordant note. Vague vetiver and light woods, nothing to rave about. The scent gets a bit sweet and dense, and I lose interest.

26th March, 2010

Maxims pour Homme by Maxims

While this scent is not quite to my taste, I certainly can find many things to appreciate here.
    It starts with a *very* sweet opening – the “fruit note” is powerful, sugary, and almost toothache-inducing. Candy and powder are in abundance. As this opening blast settles down, good florals and some light but interesting woods emerge. Gradually the sweetness subsides, and a very genteel, old-school chord of mossy patchouli steps forward. I’m not a bit fan of patchouli, but this is not too heavy, and it has minty and herbal aspects. The patchouli works with the leather to give a soft dry-down.

26th March, 2010

Crown Imperial by Crown Perfumery

This is quite the scent! The juice is so dark in colour, so orangey! It stained my skin on my wrists! It certainly would stain clothes.
    Many of the reviews talk about the lemon, but on my skin this produces an aura which matches the colour, ORANGE! It hit all the orange notes; both skin, juice, and blossom. The neroli cloud twists into a bitter, slightly metallic chord; and then a soapy, musky one. I don't get any lavender here. This is a substantial scent, even "thick." I'm amazed that an orange scent can be so powerful. The orange dom-dom-dominates here... I don't really get any herbal notes either. Orange fans should check this out... it is old-school in the extreme. I like orange but this is a little bigger than I can handle.

25th March, 2010

Crave by Calvin Klein

Apparently this was marketed to the young male demographic. I can see aspects of that design. Crave is a light, generally inoffensive scent. The first time I tried it, I found some herbal notes to appreciate. The second time, “nasal fatigue” set in almost immediately and I washed it off.
    This opens in a fresh, mild way. There are slightly crisp, green-leaf notes in the midst of a rather cool or even frosty cloud. At times, there are hints of a tangy, pulpy fruit note something like a cross between pineapple and melon. The scent is not sweet, nor heavy in any way.
    Overall, I find the cool notes to be unappealing. The scent seems a bit sterile in its freshness, a bit reminiscent of laundry detergent.

23rd March, 2010

Index Red Currant Basil by Fresh

What a blah scent! It is so bland and inoffensive that it is hard to get worked up one way or another about it. It is a little bit sweet, but not heavy or cloying. There are powdery soft notes, and something vaguely liked lemon candy. Not a lot going on here. Where are the notes of basil, currant leaf, wood? There’s not even much fruit. This is almost a non-scent.

23rd March, 2010

True Religion for Men by True Religion

Fragrance notes: bergamot, mandarin, herbs, woods, musk, moss, patchouli
    I am not a fan of fresh aquatics. And that is what this is. The opening is fresh and yet plummy with a citrus twist (the bergamot). Fresh, fresh, fresh to the point of chilly. For a moment the scent seems to go aromatically green, and I have hope. Then no, more freshness and the usual smell of powdered laundry detergent. The scent seems shallow – all surface, no depth. The dry-down gets a bit odd, in a tangy-metallic way. The laundry detergent residue has stuck to a tin can.
    A quirky-cool box and a distinctive bottle house a bland, uninspired juice.

18th March, 2010

Déclaration by Cartier

This is a very interesting scent. I appreciate it, although at this point I am not inclined to buy it. I enjoy its minimalism, translucency, dryness, accurate woody notes, and moiré way of holding up opposites in a shifting pattern (cleanness/sweat, air/earth, light/dark). Perhaps it simply is the cumin-esque spice note that doesn’t quite work for me.
    The opening is tangy and full of birch wood. Although there is no lemon listed, the birch gives such a lemony note that I can’t fail but enjoy it. Very woody, very lemony. It manages to suggest sweetness without actually being sweet. The cardamom comes off like cumin (as it often does) and gives a suggestion of dried sweat. Cedar gives the usual pencil shavings chord. These elements jangle around for a while, and settle down into a woody, mossy base.
    This is distinctive, nothing else quite smells like it. I will keep revisiting it. Thumbs up for the style.

18th March, 2010