Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Saffron, patchouli oil, African wenge wood.
    First things first: this scent does not seem “black,” and it does not evoke cashmere.
    It is a very sweet scent, yet it has an oddly metallic-tinny edge. It is so sweet it is foody, like a slice of pound cake. And like pound cake, it is dense. I can’t pick out any particular elements. Not an attractive scent to my nose.

30th March, 2010

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Sadly, this does not work at all for me. Even in the tiniest, micro-doses this sits on my skin and screams “PATCHOULI HELL.” No green, no pine, no woods.
    The opening blast has some promise. There are aromatic juniper berries with a gin-like note. There is artemesia, here given a tarragon-like treatment which suggests cloves and sweet hay. The scent so far is cool, airy, a bit powdery, and slightly sweet. Clop, clop, clop… the boots of patchouli are marching in. Very sweet, tangy, leathery, toasted-nut patchouli. Help, where is the soap and scrubbing brush?
    Folks, I like coniferous scents, green scents, mossy scents. I just don’t find those things here, in any way, shape or form.

29 March, 2010

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Not an exciting scent. The opening is the best part: there are invigorating citrus and crisp green notes which give a sporty, light tone. Hints of peppery spice add to the appeal. Then the chocolate note from the cacao pod appears… and strikes a discordant note. Vague vetiver and light woods, nothing to rave about. The scent gets a bit sweet and dense, and I lose interest.

26 March, 2010

Maxims pour Homme by Maxims

While this scent is not quite to my taste, I certainly can find many things to appreciate here.
    It starts with a *very* sweet opening – the “fruit note” is powerful, sugary, and almost toothache-inducing. Candy and powder are in abundance. As this opening blast settles down, good florals and some light but interesting woods emerge. Gradually the sweetness subsides, and a very genteel, old-school chord of mossy patchouli steps forward. I’m not a bit fan of patchouli, but this is not too heavy, and it has minty and herbal aspects. The patchouli works with the leather to give a soft dry-down.

26 March, 2010

Crown Imperial by Crown Perfumery

This is quite the scent! The juice is so dark in colour, so orangey! It stained my skin on my wrists! It certainly would stain clothes.
    Many of the reviews talk about the lemon, but on my skin this produces an aura which matches the colour, ORANGE! It hit all the orange notes; both skin, juice, and blossom. The neroli cloud twists into a bitter, slightly metallic chord; and then a soapy, musky one. I don't get any lavender here. This is a substantial scent, even "thick." I'm amazed that an orange scent can be so powerful. The orange dom-dom-dominates here... I don't really get any herbal notes either. Orange fans should check this out... it is old-school in the extreme. I like orange but this is a little bigger than I can handle.

25 March, 2010

Crave by Calvin Klein

Apparently this was marketed to the young male demographic. I can see aspects of that design. Crave is a light, generally inoffensive scent. The first time I tried it, I found some herbal notes to appreciate. The second time, “nasal fatigue” set in almost immediately and I washed it off.
    This opens in a fresh, mild way. There are slightly crisp, green-leaf notes in the midst of a rather cool or even frosty cloud. At times, there are hints of a tangy, pulpy fruit note something like a cross between pineapple and melon. The scent is not sweet, nor heavy in any way.
    Overall, I find the cool notes to be unappealing. The scent seems a bit sterile in its freshness, a bit reminiscent of laundry detergent.

23 March, 2010

Index Red Currant Basil by Fresh

What a blah scent! It is so bland and inoffensive that it is hard to get worked up one way or another about it. It is a little bit sweet, but not heavy or cloying. There are powdery soft notes, and something vaguely liked lemon candy. Not a lot going on here. Where are the notes of basil, currant leaf, wood? There’s not even much fruit. This is almost a non-scent.

23 March, 2010

True Religion for Men by True Religion

Fragrance notes: bergamot, mandarin, herbs, woods, musk, moss, patchouli
    I am not a fan of fresh aquatics. And that is what this is. The opening is fresh and yet plummy with a citrus twist (the bergamot). Fresh, fresh, fresh to the point of chilly. For a moment the scent seems to go aromatically green, and I have hope. Then no, more freshness and the usual smell of powdered laundry detergent. The scent seems shallow – all surface, no depth. The dry-down gets a bit odd, in a tangy-metallic way. The laundry detergent residue has stuck to a tin can.
    A quirky-cool box and a distinctive bottle house a bland, uninspired juice.

18 March, 2010

Déclaration by Cartier

This is a very interesting scent. I appreciate it, although at this point I am not inclined to buy it. I enjoy its minimalism, translucency, dryness, accurate woody notes, and moiré way of holding up opposites in a shifting pattern (cleanness/sweat, air/earth, light/dark). Perhaps it simply is the cumin-esque spice note that doesn’t quite work for me.
    The opening is tangy and full of birch wood. Although there is no lemon listed, the birch gives such a lemony note that I can’t fail but enjoy it. Very woody, very lemony. It manages to suggest sweetness without actually being sweet. The cardamom comes off like cumin (as it often does) and gives a suggestion of dried sweat. Cedar gives the usual pencil shavings chord. These elements jangle around for a while, and settle down into a woody, mossy base.
    This is distinctive, nothing else quite smells like it. I will keep revisiting it. Thumbs up for the style.

18 March, 2010

Cereus Pour Homme No. 14 by Cereus

This has great potential with its herbal notes and wood. It fails for me due to an over-emphasis on violet leaves and very sweet amber. Those things dominate, in fact obliterate, the better elements. I had to scrub this off to remove the cloying, sweet, vanilla notes. Sorry gents, this didn't work on my skin (or to my taste) at all.

15 March, 2010

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

Notes: citrus, bergamot, tomato leaf, petitgrain, magnolia and orange blossom, iris flower, fig leaf
    I like this scent. It starts with a very good citrus opening – one that smells zesty, natural, and refreshing. There is the merest hint of green (tomato leaf) here, nothing so pronounced as one finds in Eau de Campagne by Sisley. The scent opens up into a gorgeous floral chord which is attractive but not too sweet or heavy. The dry-down moves into a green and slightly woody note, courtesy of the fig leaf. Not a hint of ‘coconut’ from this fig. All in all, a great Italian-style and unisex scent, one that is light and translucent. Sure, you need to re-apply it during the day but that is part of its summery charm.

11th March, 2010

Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella

This is a delightful, old-school scent: at once dryly herbal and richly perfume-y. Aromatic spices and perhaps some oakmoss give this a scent like fine old fougere soap. The leather note is restrained, interesting, and elusive. This has a suave, smooth, attractive character. The notes are substantial but not heavy. They are natural-smelling, and thankfully not sweet or cloying. This one intrigues me, since I don’t usually like leather scents.

Rose Poivrée by Different Company

Wow – this really does NOT work for me! First of all, I get no rose at all. Second, the coriander seems to be aided, abetted and overwhelmed by a tangy-brown cumin note. Along with some sweaty civet, this produces an odd metallic note which I find quite unpleasant. Rotting celery leaves, old curry, and greasy salami come to mind.

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

For a while, I found myself appreciating this scent – and that surprised me, since I really have no fondness for leather scents, or quirky avante-garde techno scents (which this seems like to me). Yet, for a while I was pleasantly tolerating this. It starts off with an interesting sage and aromatic herb note. It seemed like some sage soaps I own. The leather note emerged quickly, and at that point it was OK. Dark brown notes appeared, which reminded me of rubber and dark chocolate. Still, I could appreciate it, and I these are not my usual notes at all. As long as these elements remained dry and translucent, I was OK with the scent. But then they got dense, sweet and stronger. The rubber-leather chord got to be too much for me. I’ll only give this a neutral; others who like these notes may enjoy this scent.

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is a very attractive scent, and I like it. Admittedly, it is a substantial beast. I think it has 1980’s style but a modern sensibility. How is this possible? This scent shows a classy restraint. The heavy weapons are deployed very strategically. Amber and vanilla (normally sweet or cloying) are done in a minimalist style and give just a rounding touch. Leather and patchouli are present but not obnoxious. The net effect is that this scent is more translucent than the dense war-horses of years past.
    What shines through for me is the sandalwood, with a great touch of incense. The sandalwood is really done in a dry and woody style, rather than a rich and creamy one. I appreciate that. The incense likely is frankincense, and it gives a slightly green and pine-y note. The patchouli works with the incense and gives a minty, leafy note.
    This wears very well throughout the day.

04 March, 2010

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

This is a pleasant scent – for me, nothing more.
    First of all, I don’t see it as green (as many have). I think the violet leaf gives its typical “silvery” note here. This isn’t as piercing a note as we see in something like Grey Flannel: it is softened by some bright florals. Bleecker is definitely aquatic and fresh in character, and a bit sweet. There is light wood and a hint of moss. Thankfully, the base notes of vanilla, amber and patchouli are so mild that I don’t find them problematic.
    For me, this is an innocuous scent. There is nothing to dislike, and nothing to seek out.

03 March, 2010

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

This is a complex, substantial scent. While its rich elements make it something not in my style, I can appreciate it. It has an extensive list of ingredients! It is marked by several phases.
    The first phase has green, spicy notes. Clary sage is prominent here. The second is of spicy wood. It is smooth, and brightened by a bit of pine. The third phase is a light vanilla-leather. I don’t usually like these elements, yet they are not sweet here and are controlled. I can go with the flow. The fourth phase is of dry patchouli. This has an earthy, leathery aspect. The fifth phase, several hours later, is a mossy patchouli chord that is elegant and genteel.
    I agree with the comment that this scent is better experienced as sillage than close-up. The cloud blends some of the more heavy elements into a pleasant cloud.
    For my taste, I would stop at the end of phase two and be satisfied. Then this would be bottle-worthy for me. However, it is a good scent overall.

02 March, 2010

Figleaf & Lime by Zen for Men

This is a budget fragrance of good value. It has a great lime opening, which is very zesty and citric. It settles into a pleasant green-leaf and wood chord. It is refreshing and bright. The lime has good longevity. The leaf note is a generic green rather than a distinctive fig, but given the price of this product I won’t complain. A simple scent, but quite acceptable.

Cypress Yuzu by Zen for Men

Well, anything with ‘cypress’ in the title gets my immediate attention! Yuzu gets the ball rolling, with a very bright, aromatic, grapefruit-like scent. The scent becomes quite green, and it is a refreshing summer splash. There are clean, moderately woody tones here as well. Perhaps it is not distinctively cypress but it is acceptable as a generic sort of wood. The scent is not sweet, not “budget-frag” in character. It seems simple, natural, and easy-to-wear. It is at a great price, and it comes in a full line of products (EDC spray, aftershave balm, body lotion, shower gel, and glycerine soap.) The soap is excellent. This all seems like a no-brainer to get! There is attractive packaging as well. A great budget fragrance!

Rose by Czech & Speake

This has a very green, crisp opening. When I say crisp, I mean crisp! It is like biting into a tart green apple. It moves into a rose note which is delicate rather than heady. It is a very green sort of rose scent, a bit odd if you are thinking of deep red roses and the scent they give. Eventually the rose takes on a more conventional character, and there is a hint of tangy patchouli.

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

This is a gorgeous floral scent. It is so heady that it briefly has a slightly volatile, rubbery aspect. It is an ornate cloud: somewhat sweet but not cloying or heavy. The impression is that of lily of the valley – on steroids! A dry, earthy note emerges in the dry-down. Here’s a floral that I could wear once in a while and enjoy. I'm surprised at all the negative reviews. I'm no big fan of florals but I can appreciate this.

Monocle Scent Two: Laurel by Comme des Garçons

Laurel and other herbs, pepper, cedar, patchouli, frankincense, amber

I'm revising my review. There are parts of this I like and parts that have trouble endorsing.
    I've tried this many, many times in the shop.
    Good points: very green and aromatic, a dry and powerful peppery-herbal mix.
    Reservations: on my skin, it gets tiresome after a while. For me, it is a very powerful and assertive one-note wonder. No grace notes. No subtlety.
    I love dry herbal scents. The fact that I keep trying this, and wanting to like it... and don't quite like it, says something to me.
    It is a marvelous, challenging, dry and aromatic scent. Try it and see how it suits you.

17 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2011)

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Notes: Italian bergamot, Tuscan cypress, cumin, cardamom, ginger, fig leaves, Provence fig, rose de mai, cyclamen, tonka bean, cedarwood, nirvanolide musk, Indonesian patchouli, musk
    This is a smooth, easy-going fig-leaf scent. It is green, and not as crisp or edgy as some fig scents. The usual creamy coconut hint is here. The elements are well blended. The dry-down is nice, clean-soapy, and with hints of wood and incense. I think this is a good introduction to fig scents.

16 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2011)

Elixir by Penhaligon's

In my estimation, this is a poorly designed scent. The reason? There is an over-emphasis on rosewood. Rosewood is a heady, *extremely potent* scent. A tiny bit goes a long way. I find that the rosewood (with its furniture-polish connotations) simply overwhelms the other potentially interesting ingredients. The opening has much promise. Languid florals, deep woods and peppery spices engage in a shimmering interplay which is fascinating! If it only lasted for more than a minute! Then the rosewood portcullis gate slams down and the scent seems one-dimensional to me. The scent remains stuck in that groove for the remainder of the time.

16 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2010)

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

I find two stages here. The first is masculine and dark. It has dark flowers and deep spices which are brightened by a citrus edge. This strikes a romantic note and I like it. The second phase is a spicy, animalic musk. It is too rich for my blood. It reminds me of Kiehl’s musk oil. It is OK until the vanilla and patchouli kick in. A sweet vanilla note is the death-knell for a scent on my skin. I will give it a neutral rating because I recognize my prejudice against vanilla and because (even for me) it has flashes of brilliance.

16 February, 2010 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2010)

Macchia Mediterranea by Borsari

I’m disappointed in this scent. I like Aqua Classico by Borsari, and the imagery of “macchia” mentioned by Quarry is very appealing. This had the potential to be a garrigue-style of scent. It didn’t work that way on my skin. I found three distinct phases. The first was a fruity, sweet musk. The second was the VERY dusty dry smell of old herbs and spices that is mentioned below. I like this part! It is very interesting, but too brief. The third phase, that of the dry-down, is violet, sweet spice, and musk. This phase has the unfortunate connotation of rancid nut paste for me, and it has severe tenacity. So, the scent just doesn’t work for me.

Charmes et Feuilles by Different Company

Notes: aromatic herbs (sage, marjoram, serpolet/wild thyme), Indian jasmine, peppermint leaves, grapefruit, clementine, patchouli
    This is a nice scent in two distinct phases. The first is citrus and herbs. Lovely orange blossom-like notes are here. The scent is very zesty, refreshing, and slightly soapy in character. The mint leaves give it real green freshness without a “toothpaste” aspect. The second phase is introduced by jasmine which is closely followed by patchouli. I find that the jasmine and patchouli together here produce a tobacco-leaf chord. At times I find a hay or coumarin sort of note. This is the distinctive feature of the dry-down. It seems like a summery, natural sort of scent to me.

Lalique pour Homme Blue / Faune by Lalique

The juice is slightly blue, as befits an aquatic scent. I find this to be simple stuff: crisp, fresh, blue-aquatic. It starts slightly sweet and gets bigger and sweeter. There is a bit of wood and spice in the dry-down, but nothing particularly noteworthy. In my opinion, this smells a bit cheap and loud.

Encre Noire pour Elle by Lalique

This is a lovely floral scent. It opens on a rather sweet note, but this sweetness quickly burns off. What is left is an airy, refined floral accord bolstered by hints of very light vetiver and wood. The rose and jasmine-like osmanthus are very elegant. The vetiver is nowhere near the grassy intensity of Encre Noir (men’s version). Certainly worth a try – and men could wear this. Interestingly, I don't see any 'dark' aspects to either this scent or the men's version. They both seem 'bright' to me.

11th February, 2010

L'Eau de Jatamansi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Notes: Jatamansi (spikenard), grapefruit, cardamom, clary sage, rose, ylang-ylang, Indian papyrus, incense, guaiacum (champaca wood oil).
    This starts with an aromatic note which features good grapefruit scents. It is spicy and soapy, and the spices are smoothly blended together. The florals are also very pleasant: first to appear is the ylang-ylang, followed by the rose. There are some light woody-incense notes, and the scent becomes a tiny bit sweet. The spikenard gives a tangy, aromatic note which comes off a bit like cold tea. The rose and champaca notes develop, yet the fresh-woody aspect also hangs in there. This is an exotic, floral, lightly-incensed scent: quite interesting and distinctive. The dry-down gets a bit more sweet but not problematically so. I find this to be a unisex scent: not too woody for a women’s market and not too floral for a men’s market.

11th February, 2010