Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Limes by Floris

Top: lemon, petitgrain
    Mid: lily of the valley, lime blossom, neroli
    Base: musk

This starts with lovely citrus-green notes. These are quite tart, bracing, and refreshing. These top notes have good longevity for citrus, lasting several minutes. The citrus notes burn off and a classy floral-musk appears. It is not sweet or heavy; rather it is it kind of airy and has echoes of the citrus. The scent overall is clean and classic. No faux notes here. It lasts about half an hour on me. Splash it on and enjoy!

04th August, 2010

Lemon Eau de Toilette by Art of Shaving

This is a very pleasant scent. It has creamy lemon notes with a mossy/light musk dry-down. I find the duration to be pretty good, and the lemon is quite natural smelling. It seems to me to be very similar to Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, without the pine-rosemary zing. The drydown is almost identical to my nose.

31st July, 2010

Cefiro by Floris

Starts with a green citrus blast. The various citrus notes all jumble together and get a bit dense and muddled. The scent gets too sweet, almost cloying. The wood notes do not develop. What we wind up with is a rather cheap and annoying musk – synthetic and unattractive. The talc in this scent is much better! It is lighter and the wood notes come through.

25th July, 2010

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

* citrus (citron, bergamot)
    Notes:
    * spice (coriander, ginger, cardomom, black pepper)
    * green (artemesia, green tea)
    * wood (birch, cedar)
    * base (white musk, amber)

Opens with lovely citrus, followed quickly by peppery spice. The spice blends effortlessly into woody notes with a hint of green. The birch has a lemony aspect, and that shakes hands with a sharp, woody cedar note.
    Some find this a lightweight scent -- I don't! With several spritzes it is substantial though admittedly translucent. Not as green as Jardin sur le Nil, not as birch-y as Declaration. Invigorating, refreshing, a real energy-boost.

22nd July, 2010

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

This is slightly sweet, but not cloying. It is done in the usual smooth, round Prada style. All the elements are blended together and they are difficult to pick out as distinct notes. I certainly don’t get any orange notes. The incense seems green and suggests frankincense. The wood is light. Iris emerges in the dry down. Nothing wrong with this, but neither is it memorable.

20th July, 2010

Ginestre by Santa Maria Novella

Citrus, ginestra, oakmoss
    This is a good, distinctive scent. It is centered on ginestra (broom) which has a floral, hay-like and honeyed character. The scent is true to type. At times it has a grassy green note; at other times it is a bit like iris; and at other times it has a rich, honeycomb/waxy note. The drydown is satisfyingly mossy. This is an outdoorsy sort of scent.

15th July, 2010

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

Notes: Javanese vetiver, rare woods, iodine, Burmese spices
    I like this scent. The grassy and cushy vetiver combines well with salty-briny iodine. I’m pretty sure that the ‘rare woods’ are oud, that goes well with the iodine and vetiver. The spices likely include clove and perhaps nutmeg. These earthy, pungent spices work well with the rootsy vetiver.
    Update -- a bright vetiver, green and grassy. Good spices, but not heavy. The iodine note works well, perhaps it comes from the oud. Not as powerful as I remember it. Wears well.

14th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2014)

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

This is a pleasant scent, but it is not what I would expect given its ingredients. Specifically, I think a scent which has galbanum and frankincense should have a green and coniferous or resinous quality. The “Somalian incense” here smells more like myrrh to me, since it is slightly sweet and soapy. The cedar should give some wood notes, and the vetiver should give earthy or grassy notes – but I get none of these.
    What I do get is a grey/silver sort of scent. Iris and soap notes dominate. This is done in the typical Prada style; which is round, smooth and has no edges. The scent is attractive, soapy and slightly sweet, and sits close to the skin.
    [update} What an odd scent! Fresh, soapy, clean, somewhat juvenile in style. Sweet and kind of twee in a pretty way. The myrrh is done in a sweet-soapy style. There is a fresh, slighly ozonic note here. Does not evoke a masculine image –a young boy perhaps, prior to his first beard. This isn’t a scrubber, it is just not my style.

12th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 07th December, 2010)

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

I have completely re-written my review, including a change from neutral to thumbs up. This is a challenging, complex scent. It cannot be assimilated in one or a few trials. I find that it has parts which attract me greatly, and parts with which I struggle.
    First, I am happy to have a notes list, which seems accurate to what I detect.
    Notes: bergamot, mandarin orange, galbanum, spearmint, basil, clove, labdanum, smoky cypress, moss, musk.
    This starts with very green herbal and coniferous notes. This phase is excellent, but regrettably very brief.
    The scent quickly develops a gruff, bold, assertive and spicy character -- very old-school! With its clove-y spice note, it reminds me of the revamped Rive Gauche, which Tom Ford designed. At times, Gucci Nobile stands as an apt comparison.
    Then appears the aspect I find is at once unique and challenging. It truly seems to me to capture accurately a dirty old metallic ashtray or an old clay pipe bowl. Sharp, slightly stale notes of smoke and minerals abound, and persist. Perhaps there are also vestiges of cold dark coffee drying in a cup, for a true cigarette and coffee vibe.
    This complex chord persists through the life of the scent. It is never unpleasant, and at times it conveys a world-weary character that is charming. At other times its "dirtyness" seems a bit problematic to me.
    The dry-down generally is pleasing, at times even haunting. The mint keeps reappearing to brighten the otherwise dusky proceedings. At times, I do get a Yatagan vibe in the later stages.
    I wish it was more woody and resinous. I love cypress, and find it overwhelmed here. I wish that ashtray note was less prominent.
    Do I find it bottle-worthy? No, not at this point. Yet I cannot dismiss it. It is a very striking scent. It invites further attention.

05th July, 2010 (Last Edited: 04th January, 2011)

L'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque

This is pretty good stuff. Anything that puts wood, spice and incense into a dry package has pretty much got my interest, and this one does that. There are good citrus notes at the start: the orange and grapefruit are realistic and distinct. The scent takes on a clean, bright character with hints of incense, wood, and a spice melange. The scent is subtle and enjoyable. At times a restrained and dignified rose note appears, and that is very well done. The scent is quietly compelling, dry, and translucent.

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

Well, this does have amber in its name and is an oriental in design. Although those things usually have little appeal to me, I do find this to be an interesting scent. It starts off very ambery and rich, with plummy and buttery notes. It is very sweet. The sweetness abates somewhat, and interesting incense and leather notes appear. The scent takes on a brown hue in my mind. The leather note is intriguing – I’d say that people who like leather scents should check this out. Suddenly the sweetness appears, in a new guise: cocoa! I get the definite note of chocolate (blended with vanilla and cinnamon) here. Not my style, but an interesting experience.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This has quite a sweet opening, due to the honey. There are also floral notes of some kind here. The scent is rich and opulent. There are only hints of a generic sort of tea. In my opinion, lapsang-souchong should lend a really formidable and distinctive smoky note. At times, a light smoke and wood note appears. The wood seems like pencil shavings so must be cedar. I think the smoke and wood should be increased, and the honey decreased. Then you’d have something interesting. This is rather bland.

L'Eau des Hesperides by Diptyque

This starts with orange blossom, which changes into a lemon-drop note. There is also a lot minty notes here, ones that are sometimes green and other times a bit like toothpaste. As the everlasting flower appears, it gives a dusky, metallic and somewhat heavy note that is something like white musk. I don’t care for this final aspect and thus I don’t really like this scent.

18th June, 2010

l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

Notes: incense, sandalwood, rose, tobacco, spice (cardamom, pepper, ginger).
    Crisp and juicy ginger – that’s the distinguishing feature of this scent. Sometimes it smells like a freshly-cut root, other times it is like the pickled ginger at a sushi restaurant. Many scents promise ginger, this one delivers! The spices are woody-dry and very good. The incense is haunting, dry, and not over-done. The scent is green and lively. It is bright and invigorating, a real tonic, just like fresh ginger. There are some smoky, tobacco-leaf notes in the background. The dry-down is a satisfying, gentle spice chord. I like this scent a lot.

18th June, 2010

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

(revised)
    Notes: bergamot, citron, petitgrain, bitter orange, galbanum, lentisque (mastic resin), lavender, fig leaf, lemon tree wood.
    This has a marvelous dry-herbal-woody opening, with a hint of lavender. I wish that lasted longer. The scent is very lemony, but it is round and not acidic. Lots of creamy fig notes which at times seem like coconut and at other times somewhat peachy. The mastic resin combines with the wood and fig to give an earthy, compelling and even haunting quality. This earthy quality earns this the "garrigue" designation. My reservation is the fig. I appreciate it but don't like it on myself. I usually find that creamy-sweet note is not quite my style. Still, this is a marvelous scent. I don't get anything starchy, cold or skanky here...

15th June, 2010 (Last Edited: 28th January, 2011)

L'Eau de Neroli by Diptyque

This starts with a gorgeous, fresh, slightly soapy orange blossom note. It quickly deepens into a white musk scent. This is a very simple scent: orange blossom and musk, that’s about it. Unisex in orientation, and perhaps slightly sweet in character. The dry down develops a slight woody aspect. The musk dominates here, a bit more than I care for. Nothing original or distinctive in this scent, it is simply Diptyque’s version of an orange blossom special.

15th June, 2010

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This has a nice but fleeting citrus opening. Although galbanum is not listed, I’m sure I catch whiffs of it – there is a lovely green note here. Essentially this is an attractive woody spice scent. It is not sweet and not too dry. The spices are well blended and hard to pick out, though with time the ginger does become distinct. There is nothing especially innovative here, or unique. It is a lovely gentle scent.

15th June, 2010

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

For me, this is a distinctive and slightly odd scent. It is quite dry, with notes of gunpowder, smoke, resin, rubber, and black pepper. At times, it reminds me of Trussardi White, but it is not as creamy and more tangy and bold. Interesting, to be sure. I'm not ruling it out... but I'm not rushing to buy it just yet.

08th June, 2010

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Notes: ivy leaves, cyclamen, geranium, green pepper, ambergris, palissander wood, musk.
    Well, I like this scent a lot! I think that any green fan should give it a try. It is SO green, in a leafy-fresh, crisp (even crunchy), sappy and slightly resinous way. Zing! (but not Dzing!). This is absolutely not sweet or floral, not is it painfully dry. It simply is a leafy scent, with the tangy bit of green pepper. I think CB I Hate Perfume tries to do this sort thing but does not succeed as well as Diptyque does here. If you like Sisley's Eau de Campagne, I am sure you'd like this. It is a simple scent, and quite satisfying. The dry down has light wood and musk notes which wear very well and on me has good longevity.
    It is not as herbal as Virgilio, but it is quite good.

07th June, 2010

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Not my kind of scent, but not as bad as I had feared. This starts as a sweet, watery scent. The 'water' here is like a pond rather than an aquatic-ozonic note. It is sheer, translucent, with green leafy notes which could be like water lily. Perhaps I can detect faint spices from time to time. I certainly don't detect any orange or orange blossom. The sweetness is hard to describe - it is not floral, not gourmand. It is a somewhat interesting light, sheer sweetness. Eventually the vanilla gets more prominent, and I say bye-bye.

07th June, 2010

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Wow! What a lemony opening! Briefly, this seems like it will be a brisk and refreshingly enjoyable scent. Little bits of vanilla from the tonka appear, and the scent becomes more like a lemon cookie than the fruit itself. Aquatic notes and white musk take over, and the whole thing becomes very one-dimensional. Synthetic lemon goes on and on with no relief. Boring, verging on irritating.

24th May, 2010

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

This has a fresh, floral, slightly citrus opening. "Fresh" in the ozonic sense of the word. The scent is somewhat sweet, bland and generic in character. I don't get any spice or wood notes. The sweetness gets quite tiresome and synthetic in character. There is an oddly metallic and tangy note in the drydown which is unpleasant.

24th May, 2010

Mimosa by Florascent

Mimosa, rose, violet leaves, tonka beans, rosewood
    This is a green, bright, spicy-cool floral. It is not sweet and not heavy. At times there are faint earthy notes, and at other times a slight herbal note that is a distant cousin to celery leaves. The rose note is subdued, but apparent - a combination of rose blossoms and rosewood. The rosewood also brings a restrained but pleasant woody note to the scent. Due to its green and translucent nature, this reminds me a bit of Bond No. 9 Gramercy Park. I like this, it is a very pleasant scent.
    This is in the Aqua Floralis line of Florascent.

12th May, 2010

Pivione by Florascent

Peony, Sicilian lemon, rose, jasmine
    I think peony must be a difficult scent to replicate or evoke. Peony flowers have such a marvelous scent, like rose and lily of the valley. With the added notes of rose and jasmine, we should have a gorgeous floral here.
    What we do have is a lemony scent, which develops into a generic (and fairly green) floral scent. The scent is light, not too sweet, and somewhat translucent. I don't get any specific floral notes. As the scent develops, it shows a vague and somewhat metallic or even aquatic character. Given the disconnect between what it should be and what it is, I can't endorse it.
    This is in the Aqua Floralis line of Florascent.

12th May, 2010

Aqua Aromatica Violetta by Florascent

Notes: Parma violet, iris rook, bergamot.
    I take marks off because the scent fails to deliver much in the way of a violet note. It is neither bright and piercing (the leaf) or soft, earthy and heady (the flower). The bergamot gives a fruity note, and the product notes claim that violet typically has a framboise (raspberry) character. Well, that's news to me. There is slightly tart character to this, the scent reminds me of a sour berry pie. At times, there appear to be pencil-shaving cedar notes. This is not an unpleasant scent, but I don't particularly care for it.

Aqua Aromatica Thé Vert by Florascent

Notes: Chinese green tea, citrus, jasmine, osmanthus, cedar wood
    This is an aromatic green scent. Those notes are dusky and interesting. Certainly it evokes (among other things) a cup of cooled green tea. There is a sort of haunting note at work. The florals are not sweet, and perhaps could be more distinct - they come across as generic rather than specifically jasmine or osmanthus. I don't get a particular wood note. A unisex scent.

Aqua Aromatica Regia by Florascent

Notes: bergamot, lemon, neroli, rosemary, clary sage, cassis bud.
    This is intended to be a classic EDC (lemon and light herbs) which organically-minded people can choose. As such, this not re-inventing any wheels - it simply is intended to be that type of product for those sort of consumers. The opening notes are lovely, with lemon and orange blossom. The light herbs are enjoyable. The scent has roundness and some depth. As usual, it is short-lived, typical for a citrus scent and especially a natural one. A unisex scent.

Aqua Aromatica Lavande by Florascent

Notes: lavender, sage, thyme, rockrose, amber.
    The lavender is regrettably brief. At its peak it comes across as well-done: aromatic, dry, herbal, invigorating. It blends well with the other dry herbal notes. Unfortunately, the pleasant side does not last, and is replaced by a sort of metallic note. It reminds me a bit of violet leaf. The scent loses its dryness and gets slightly sweet. I have high expectations for a lavender scent, and this one fails to deliver what I'm seeking.

Casbah by Florascent

Notes: mimosa, black tea, cardamom, Moroccan rose, spices, precious woods
    This opens with a lovely floral note which is deep, mysterious and not too sweet. Then the scent brightens up. Perhaps the tea is mint tea, which is popular in the Middle East. Perhaps the precious woods are in fact oud, which would add a compelling, bright note. This is not a heavy, opulent oriental; it is better understood as a spicy floral. I appreciate it.

Medina by Florascent

Notes: artemesia, sage, hyacinth, precious spices, pathouli, saffron, Atlas cedar, iris, vetyver.
    This is a dry oriental, and I like it! It has an appealing dusky, dusty green herbal opening. It opens into a good display of spices, principally cinnamon and cardamom. The cinnamon is dry, in a woody rather than apple-pie style. Cedar and vetiver add woody and grassy notes. The dry-down is cool and expansive. In many ways, this reminds me of another good dry oriental: Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh.
    This is listed here as a feminine scent. Far from it. It is so dry that it easily can be worn by men.

30th April, 2010