Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

Notes: mint, grapefruit, basil, mocha, cedar.
    It is hard to believe that a scent can be both vacuous and irritating, but this one succeeds in that dubious category. It is a very sporty, minty scent; aggressively fresh and quite strong. It does not smell natural at all, in fact it reminds me of those car deodorizers one hangs in the windshield. An hour later I still found it to be nasty, and I scrubbed it off.
    Very avoidable with a bad attitude.

1869 by Acca Kappa

Notes: cardamom, geranium, iris, violet, amber, vanilla, leather.
    This is an interesting scent. The first time I tried it, I noticed the warm spices and the hint of leather – and I thought of Gucci Nobile. The second time I tried it, I noticed the violet leaves, and thought of Grey Flannel. This is a classy, masculine scent. The warm spices and the cool violet work well together, in a quietly assertive way. It sits close to the skin and has good longevity.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My reaction to this is simple. Amber, amber, and more amber. Will someone deliver me from this amber hell? I’m even begging for tuberose (normally not a thing I seek) just for some relief… alas, there’s none here for me. Certainly no cedar, which is why I thought I’d be interested. This is a very sweet, toothache-inducing scent. I certainly get the bubblegum reference. I also get an image of rubber erasers in a sweaty little hand, and coconut. This could be a celebrity teenybopper scent. Did I mention that this is essentially a syrupy, ambery goo? Scrubber. I’m bootin’ this Luten.

Earth by Scentsational of Huntington

Very rich, deep, herbal and woodsy, on a warm patchouli base.” I quote the product blurb because I really can’t improve on this description. I am surprised at how much I enjoy this scent, since the patchouli is so prominent. I don’t dislike patchouli, but neither am I a big fan of it. It is done well here – it is powerful but not obnoxious. It does give an earthy, woodsy note to the scent. At times it has the leathery and nutty aspects I often find in patchouli. The scent is suave and sensual. I think patchouli fans would love this.

Eau du Contadour by L'Occitane

Top: lemon, lavender, sage and juniper
    Mid: bitter orange, mint and hay
    Base: fern, rose and sandalwood cyst
    I am somewhat disappointed in this scent. I don’t get the citrus notes or the lavender. On me, it is a [B] very [/B] powdery scent. It really has an aspect like baby powder a lot of the time. Essentially, it is a minty-grassy sort of scent. That’s OK with me, I like grassy and hay-like scents, and I don’t mind the mint. The ‘fern’ probably comes from coumarin or something similar, which will add to the hay-like character. I just wish there were more aromatic/green notes, and less powder. Definitely a warm-weather scent, on a cool day it just seems to add to the coolness and never warms up.

Afire by Neil Morris Fragrances

This is one of more odious scrubbers I’ve come across recently. Buttery caramel-vanilla notes dominate, in fact that’s all I get from beginning to end. A very sweet, persistent, cloying candy smell. Bleccch! Where’s the wood and frankincense? I don’t like it on me, I wouldn’t like it on anyone else.

29th September, 2009

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Notes: rose, cumin, olibanum (frankincense), cedar, amber, Gaïac wood (champaca), cistus (labdanum), “animal note.”
    I like this scent, but I feel it could be more. It is advertised as a rose scent for men – and yet the rose note on me is pretty meager. What dominates is cumin and cedar. Thus, I find this to be a interestingly dry, slightly sweaty, woody scent. The opening is excellent, with dry resinous frankincense notes. But these quickly get lost in the cumin (sweat) and cedar (pencil shavings) notes. These are controlled and so not obnoxious, but they are definitely the focal-point. Somewhere in all of this are hints of rose, but they never successfully surface.
    Something like Czech and Speake No. 88 does the male rose presentation more successfully, in my opinion. I like woody scents, and this is well done in that type. But since the name is rose, it should have more rose!

28th September, 2009

Hesperides by Fresh

As the name suggests, this is a citrus fruit bowl. Lots of grapefruit here (both pink and yellow) with lemon and orange as well. The scent is crisp, acidic, natural-smelling. It doesn’t really go any further, other than softening a bit and showing a very light wood base. Pretty good for longevity. A refreshing summer spritz, nothing profound.

24th September, 2009

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a gorgeous, substantial, sensual fragrance. It has lots of lovely flowers and yet it has an earthy and slightly sweaty quality that could appeal to men or women. The opening of orange blossoms is gorgeous, as it should be. The middle of white flowers is a pretty cushion. The jasmine reminds me of jasmine tea, and the tuberose is fleshy and a bit indolic (as usual). We have a powerfully beating floral heart here. Musk and cumin give an animalic quality and an assertive edge to the florals. I like it.

24th September, 2009

Herbissimo Mejorana by Dana

Here’s another example of this amazing budget line (see also Juniper/Enebro). This starts with a very green, grassy, mossy-foresty chord, and pretty much stays there. But this chord is so attractive and smooth that I don’t mind. A bit of an earthy quality comes in from time to time. Simple and inexpensive, but incredible value since it smells so good!

23rd September, 2009

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

Top: clover leaf, Italian lemon
    Mid: spearmint, green tea
    Base: lily of the valley, cyclamen, pear flower
    This is a lovely green scent, a subtle and refreshing summer spritz. It has perky fresh-cut grass notes which alternate with minty notes. At first, the spearmint seems a bit aggressive and like toothpaste, but it settles down. Clover, hay and green grass notes suggest fields in the cool morning air. This scent is a cousin to Virgilio – it has the same pastoral vibe. The dry-down is not overtly floral, these elements just deepen the grassy notes.

23rd September, 2009

Herbissimo Enebro by Dana

Herbissimo Mountain Juniper (Enebro)
    This quirky and obscure little scent is excellent! It is a lovely green splash, with minty, coniferous and mossy notes. It is a bit like Aqua di Selva, but smoother and nicer. Sure it is simple, but the low price makes this a great value and worthy of 5 stars.

22nd September, 2009

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

Notes include florals (bergamot, peony, jasmine, rose), spice (coriander, ambrette seeds), blond wood, incense, patchouli
    Not a bad scent – it starts quite well but runs out of steam at the end. The opening is a beautiful cloud of white floral notes, married with a rich citrus chord from the bergamot. The scent here is lovely, juicy, vibrant, lush but not heavy. It is a darling sort of scent, very attractive and romantic, and largely feminine. Then it moves into an interesting clean-soapy phase, with the coriander giving a fresh and woody aspect. The scent here is bright and fresh, and seems unisex to me. The dry-down is less interesting, being a light and sweet patchouli note, with predictably tangy and slightly nutty tones. This is not my style at all, but I can find some things to commend.

21st September, 2009

Holy Water by Demeter Fragrance Library

I really wanted to like this one. I love the concept, have been in many churches and appreciate the ambiance. Sadly, for me there is little to enjoy here. On me, this is a vague and wispy scent, having little substance and some rather odd notes. It starts with one of the worst, piercing rubbing-alcohol notes I’ve experienced. When this abates, I get various similar and indeterminate notes suggestive of rubber, old erasers, old sneakers left in a locker, sweaty backs on a varnished pew, and old metal keys in a church cupboard. All of these float on a thin, watery base. Not a religious experience, in my books.

21st September, 2009

Carlos Santana for Women by Carlos Santana

This is a real sweetie-pie of a scent. Foody and floral, it has a young-girl vibe. The chocolate appeared for me immediately. The florals are creamy, but I can’t detect individual flower types – they are simply a mélange. The chocolate diminishes somewhat, and thankfully is not vanilla-heavy. The musk is light, and I can detect no sandalwood at all. The iris becomes prominent later in the scent, with its typical powdery and bright-metallic notes. Perhaps this is what gives a somewhat shimmering, watery atmosphere at this point. The scent becomes quite sweet in the drydown.

13th September, 2009

Neil Morris for Takashimaya New York by Takashimaya

Top: Black Currant, Mandarin, Bergamot, Aldehydes
    Heart: Plum Blossom, Jasmine Tea, Japanese Cherry Blossom, Bamboo, Dossinia Orchid, Narcissus
    Base: Cedar, Oak, Tonka, Orris, Oud
    Takasimaya opens with tangy bergamot and juicy dark berries. This is very good fruit: it is very fresh, not heavy, good enough to eat and lovely to wear. This softens into a blossom cloud, which quickly deepens into a most interesting incense note. Is it sad or merely introspective? I wish that note stayed longer. The oud is quite lovely, not medicinal in any way. But like clouds on a sunny day, the scent clouds part, and there is a bright sappy-green bamboo note. The scent ends on a somewhat sweet aldehydic and bright iris-floral note, I don’t get any of the woods.

12th September, 2009

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

I have completely revised my review and given the scent an upgrade. I like it a lot.
    It’s hard to find its fragrance notes. One source lists citrus, aromatics, spices, greens and woods. Another lists citrus, lavender, spices, amber and oakmoss. It is probably best classified as a fougere.
    It is very green, dry and aromatic. At times I get lavender distinctly, other times not. Certainly there is a grassy, coumarin-hay note. Pepper and clove are among the spices, and these give a cool, minty-air note… and a real barbershop vibe. A salty, mossy note develops. At times this is like tarragon or even celery leaves; at other times it is a bit tangy like patchouli. The moss gets a bit bigger but I don’t find it problematic or heavy. The dry-down is very nice, salty-mossy and satisfying.

11th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2011)

Acqua da Toeletta by Piazetta di Portofino

Top: bergamot, petitgrain, basil, rosemary
    Mid: cedarwood, vetiver
    Base: musk, patchouli

I like this scent very much. I’m predisposed to enjoy a Mediterranean blend of citrus, herbs and vetiver. This starts with lovely citrus and light herbal notes. I’ll emphasize that the herbs are really light here. They add a bit of complexity but are not foreground. This is a green-citrus scent at this point. Gradually a marvelous vetiver note emerges. It continues into the dry-down, which has light woods, delicate musk and very restrained patchouli. In other words, there is nothing here to challenge – all is suave, cheerful, even effortless. A feel-good scent, in my opinion.

10th September, 2009

Feu d'Orange Intense by L'Occitane

Notes: blood orange, sweet orange, tangerine, lemon, vetiver, gaiac wood, vanilla resins

This starts as an orange-based, refreshing and simple summer spritz. Here, it is a light, rather translucent scent – various notes shimmer in and out. I say this because the scent is called “intense” and it is really nothing of the sort. The dreaded vanilla is admirably restrained here. I can detect it, but it is not overtly sweet. It simply adds a softening touch to the citrus notes. I also get a variety of woody notes, which seem a bit reedy or even metallic. The dry-down gets interesting. It thankfully continues in the not-sweet category, and has a close to the skin, haunting vibe. My one caveat is that I think it could be a bit more orangey. In summary: this is an intriguing scent, and the bottle, colour and overall presentation are distinctive and well done. It is dry and not very fruity, so it is certainly a unisex scent.

09th September, 2009

Cypress by Demeter Fragrance Library

This scent is “the distillation of the leaves, twigs and cones of the cypress tree” according to the Demeter site.
    This is quite a scent! It is very coniferous, very green, very medicinal and powerful. I can’t see it having a wide appeal. I like pine-y and medicinal scents, so I can appreciate its quirky and simple focus. The opening is quite lively and fresh. The drydown is much like lineament, with a hint of Granny Smith apple skin!

09th September, 2009

Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire

revised review
    Eau de Gloire is a male-oriented scent (though women could choose to wear it).
    The scent is in three stages. (1) Citrus and lavender -- well done. (2) A pronounced fennel-anise note, a bit honeyed, with herbal aspects on the side. Slightly sweet, the tobacco leaf makes its appearance here. The scent has heft. It isn't heavy but it is substantial. (3) A well-executed dry-down. A bit old-school and quite charming in its leathery-mossy base.
    I like it, it has Mediterranean élan.
    Meant to evoke the Napoleonic era -- the Corsican maquis, leather saddles, an air of conquest and glory.

02nd September, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th December, 2014)

Moss / Mousse de Chine by Ava Luxe

This is a rich, honeyed fern scent. In fact, it is a triple fern scent, since the ingredients listed are “fern”, Spanish moss and oakmoss.
    I could not find any citrus or lavender in the opening, but then these notes are so fleeting on my skin that this is my usual issue. An unusual note appears, kind of a cross between chocolate and rubber. This must be an aspect of the moss elements. There also is a lot of sweetness, but this gradually burns off. More agreeable green mossy notes emerge, which deepen and take on forest floor and even coniferous aspects. I appreciate this phase very much. The final dry-down is too ambery to suit me.

02nd September, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th October, 2009)

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

This is a green scent… so I have to try it. This is an ozone-marine scent… so I should avoid it. Such was my mental dilemma. In the end, I bought the 6 ml bottle. I like it but I don’t think I would find the big fancy bottle a worthwhile investment.
    This is a crisp green scent, and it is constructed from unusual elements. The ozone and marine notes (normally a problem for me) work here. They are handled well (not to excess) and give the scent a refreshing character. The cucumber and kale give a brisk, slightly metallic green note, meant to suggest crisp bank notes. High concept? Sure, but this is an agreeable fragrance, though not brilliant.

02nd September, 2009

Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Cologne by Burt's Bees

On me, this was lemon and plummy bergamot and that's it. Didn't get any of the woody notes, which I particularly seek. Not enough here to interest me, at any price.

27th August, 2009

Firewood / Feu de Bois by Ava Luxe

On me, this is an incense and birch tar scent – I don’t get cedar or wood smoke. I’ve tried it twice. The first time it seemed resinous, dry and green to me; and thus I liked it a lot. The second time, the birch was much more noticeable. It combined with what I assume is myrrh to create a somewhat sweet, perfumed and tangy note that is a bit challenging. I can see why some people call that ‘synthetic’ or ‘plastic’. I like incense scents a lot, so I can find things to appreciate here. But it is not bottle-worthy for me.

27th August, 2009

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris

This is a very good scent. It is in three stages, and in my opinion if it retained more of its first half characteristics it would be a superb scent. The first stage is an excellent green herbal chord, just the sort of thing I love. The clary sage gives the usual dusky dry note. Thyme is prominent but handled well and does not suggest salad dressing. The rosemary is minty, almost like eucalyptus. Together these three elements make a striking, even unusual combination. It is somewhat medicinal, a bit suggestive of lineament – and yet very compelling (at least for lovers of green notes). The floral heart seems very brief to me. Clearly iris is the dominant note, and it too is well done – a bit fleshy and earthy but not oppressive. The base alternates between a sweetish leather and a salty moss. I don’t find this to be a VERY salty scent, I just get a hint of salt. The scent is restrained, complex, and classy.

26th August, 2009

Le Petit Grain by Miller Harris

Top: sweet orange, angelica racine, bergamot from Italy and Sicilian lemon. Rosemary, red thyme, French tarragon and lavender.
    Heart: petigrain essence and Tunisian neroli
    Base: oak-moss, vetiver and patchouli leaves
    This is a very fine scent. The opening is bright, refreshing, and very citrusy. The herbs quickly join in. Thyme and tarragon are especially noticeable, but not overdone. Rosemary then appears with its typical minty-pine freshness. Then, the beating mellow orange heart becomes apparent, and it is lovely. And finally, the dry-down is very satisfying, containing cushy vetiver and a lightly salted moss note.

25th August, 2009

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I find this to be a BIG scent, and one dominated by myrrh. The citrus opening quickly moves into a sweet, perfumed blast of cinnamon spice and myrrh. I didn’t notice any cumin, which normally is an assertive spice. At this stage, I find the scent loud and a bit garish, and reminiscent of bug spray. Gradually the presentation calms down, and interestingly the scent becomes somewhat less sweet and heavy. The myrrh becomes more incense-like, more like the air in a cathedral. However, if there is frankincense here I don’t notice it. In my limited experience, I find myrrh to be perfume-y and heady (even a bit soapy); whereas frankincense seems dry, green and aromatic. I like incense scents but find this a bit rich. I appreciate some of its notes but I don’t think I’d seek it out.

24th August, 2009

En Sens de Bois by Miller Harris

The title is a pun in French. Literally, it means “in a sensation of woods” but it sounds like “incense of woods.” The scent lives up to its name: it is a lovely woody-incense fragrance. It starts with a very good dusky-green note, which to me suggests that there is some galbanum and possibly clary sage at work. The scent takes on a haunting quality: it seems both airy and powerful at the same time. It is quite dry, with no prominent floral or sweet notes. The woods develop beautifully in the dry-down, and the patchouli is restrained. The incense notes are subtle but enjoyable. The scent sits close to the skin and has a comfortable, comforting feel, just as the blurb says.

21st August, 2009

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

This has a lovely citrus-herbal opening in the classic EDC style. I can’t pick out the individual citrus notes, they just register as ‘citrus’. I find this to be much different from Eau D’Orange Verte -- TV is more herbal-green. Marjoram is a mild herb: dusky and bit earthy. Those qualities are here, and they are continued in the mossy notes. Then, something interesting and somewhat perplexing happens for me. The scent develops an airy-fresh aspect: it is cool, spacious, ozonic. This might be the geranium interacting with the musk and moss. At times, the scent is pleasant and calming, at other times it is a bit synthetic (like powdered laundry detergent). I am not a fan of ozonic scents so I struggle through this phase. The moss is a longevity monster, it quietly maintains a presence for many hours. Because of the ozonic middle, I only give a neutral. For those who don’t mind this aspect, it will be a pleasant scent.

21st August, 2009