Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Fil de Soie by L'Atelier Bohème

Fil de Soie by L’Atelier Bohême starts off with an aromatic bang. It is sharp, herbal and quite interesting. Unfortunately, this doesn’t last. Woody tones (mostly sandalwood but particularly the patchouli) take over. Cedar is hard to detect. Then leather kicks in, starting soft and buttery and getting sweeter. The patchouli ramps up the sweetness and heaviness, and we wind up with a leather/patchouli experience. I make it sound like an old hippie leather vest – far from it. The scent is done with charm and style – but it is not my style at all. Too much patchouli, too sweet for me.

12 November, 2008

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

This is OK, it is a masculine-styled spicy wood scent. I've changed and upgraded my review.
    It is very pleasant, a dry woody spice. The ginger is more of the powdered variety (used in baking) than the fresh ginger root. The nutmeg is a bit peppery and woody.
    This isn't a complicated scent, and since most JM scents are meant to be layered, this is meant to add a dry spicy warmth to other scents. On its own, it is pleasant enough but not incredible. Props to it for being nice and dry, and not heavy, and natural smelling in style (not artificial).

10th November, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2012)

Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone by Giorgio Armani

This has a perky, green, and crisp opening. It is lemony-fresh, and quite nice. Then, I get an odd and quite distinct note that seems like rancid butter! I don’t know what that is, perhaps it is the particular treatment of the vetiver. The scent is fairly attractive once the butter note burns off – it remains lemony for a good long time. My reservation is that for a scent called Vetiver, it doesn’t have much of that, especially in the nice cushiony smooth style I like. More could be done with the mid-note spices, they are very faint. So I’m neutral on it.

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

Nice florals here, very pretty. The jasmine and lily notes are prominent. I don't get much mint at all. Pleasant, I'm not into lily so I'm just neutral on it. But this is a fine scent, it's just not my style.

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

This has a kind of nutty tone (like nuts, not goofy). I don’t really detect a coffee note. And I don’t get the usual sorts of vetiver notes, though I can imagine some sort of vetiver here. The drydown is interesting, a bit of "lite" incense there. This is kind of odd or unusual, in my opinion. It gets more powdery and sweet as it progresses. Don’t really care for it.

Eau du Soir by Sisley

Sisley pamphlet: “A floral chypre composed of a blend of syringe, rose of the orient, Egyptian jasmine; blended with iris and juniper, and the fruity notes of mandarin and grapefruit.”

This has a tangy opening of juniper and citrus. Then the iris appears and takes over. It is a powerful heart note. On the one hand it is earthy, even a bit fleshy. Yet at the same time (and perhaps with the juniper) it has metallic aspects. This is a floral chypre to be sure. Interesting, yet for me the fleshy/metallic note is a bit jarring, and it doesn’t work for me.

Armani Privé Oranger Alhambra by Giorgio Armani

This has a gorgeous neroli and citrus opening, with real freshness and depth. It develops very light herbal notes which add to the attractive nature of this scent. I keep noting the depth of this – unusual in a citrus scent. The light moss dry-down is excellent. The patchouli is very, very restrained (thankfully). This scent is lovely from beginning to end, quite enchanting.

06 November, 2008

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

The vanilla and spice make their appearance almost immediately, freshened by citrus at this early stage. The chocolate is a velvety sort. Quite a foody scent, and it seems very feminine to me. Although initially I can stand the vanilla, I find that it gets heavier and sweeter, and thus my mild appreciation withdraws. I just don’t like vanilla.

05 November, 2008

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

A very orange, tangy opening… more powerful than I expected. It is like the zesty oil expressed from squeezing an orange skin. It softens into nice florals. It is a bit sweet, especially with the lily note. I can appreciate it, but I wouldn’t wear it.

05 November, 2008

Moss Breches by Tom Ford

Fragrance notes (from TF site): woods, spices, beeswax absolute, clary sage, tarragon, rosemary, labdanum, patchouli, benzoin.
    I'm in agreement with Vibert. I'm underwhelmed by this scent. I was expecting great herbal notes, a green experience. I call this a honeyed brown sort of scent. Ambery vanilla from the resins hit my nose from the get-go, and persisted throughout. I don't have a complaint against the patchouli. It is restrained, and adds an interesting tangy note to the rich scent. Ultimately, it is too ambery for me to endorse or enjoy. It is a luxurious scent, some would find it classy. My complaints are as follows: where is the moss, where are the herbal notes, where are the woods? It is a pleasant sort of scent, but not terribly interesting. The Breches in the title refers to a region of France. The moss in the title? Your guess is as good as mine.

29 October, 2008

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

Fragrance notes: peach, plum, blackcurrant, honey.
    This is the first JM scent that I don’t like. It starts off very peach-y. It is a complex scent, like warm peach preserve. It is interesting, but very fruity. The honey is tolerable, not rich and sugary-sweet. But then the scent develops an unpleasant tinny note in the dry-down. This metallic note with the lingering peach is not attractive to me, nor would I find it attractive on someone else.

27 October, 2008

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Fragrance notes: pomegranate, raspberry, plum, frankincense, patchouli
    I hadn’t thought I would like it. I assumed that it would be very berry/fruity. I find that the frankincense is the dominant note, and the berries are in the background. This seems aromatic, not sweet… and incense-y from start to finish. The fruit notes are subtle, dry and complex. They are not the expected artificial, candy style sort. The scent has been called “enigmatic” and I agree. It is a somewhat rich incense experience all the livelong day. Interesting!

27 October, 2008

Vetyver by Jo Malone

This has a gorgeous neroli opening, with light spice and green notes quick to develop. Then there is a lovely, cushiony vetiver scent. I call this an ideal treatment of vetiver. It is not sharp or excessively earthy, nor is it heavy and soapy. It has a charming vitality and a comforting quality that I can’t explain, but I do enjoy! This is not a complex scent, but I love it.

23 October, 2008

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Fragrance notes: grapefruit, tangerine, rosemary, vetiver
    No surprises – this is very citrusy. It is quite natural smelling, and thus I enjoy it a lot. There are lovely green and light herbal notes, a hint of pine/mint from the rosemary and another grassy hint from vetiver. These give the scent very good longevity, and the citrus finds a way to linger too. I like this very much! JM scents are designed to layer, and I have no doubt this would add sparkle to many scents. I think it stands well on its own, as well.

23 October, 2008

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I have been wearing this for several hours and I find it hard to entirely dismiss. There are certainly interesting elements here, and a distinctive character arises from their combination. But something doesn’t quite work for me, or keeps slightly irritating me. I think it is the combination of patchouli (tangy) with the honey (wafting in and out of sweetness) and moss (generally good but here a bit brackish). It is a spicy and bold, honey-brown scent, and in the end I find that it is not my style. I’m open to any moss scent, and this one was worth a try. But it is not for me.

22 October, 2008

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

This is OK. It is a spicy incense, a bit rich and sweet. The incense notes are not the driest or most interesting but they are acceptable. Lots of spice notes. Not radical or distinctive, this is smooth and attractive and is a crowd-pleaser. The dry-down is a bit sweet and generic, the patchouli makes its appearance.
    The spices + patchouli suggest to me a weaker, blander version of Kiehl's Pour Homme.
    Not dry enough or interesting enough to compel a purchase for me, but there's nothing wrong with it.

21st October, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2011)

Roadster by Cartier

Fragrance notes: bergamot, mint, vanilla, patchouli, fern, vetiver, labdanum, cashmere wood.
    I found two very distinct phases here. #1 is odd, a chocolate-vanilla-candy smell. Slightly synthetic, and also like stale After Eight mints. I'm disappointed there are no citrus notes (at least none I could detect). 5 minutes later, this burns off and we get to phase #2. This is a cool, dry and (to my nose) light herbal fougere. There are hints of patchouli, fern and grassy vetiver, and an interesting salty note. I like this phase. Some have complained about the mint, but after the first phase it is not an issue. I'm pleased that it is dry and an herbal fougere (an interesting style, and one not in vogue at the moment). Later in the dry-down, there is a vanilla-fern note that is pleasant but a little too vanilla to endear itself to me.
    Thus, I'm not bowled over by Roadster, but I do give it kudos for being mostly dry and having a distinctive style.

Agua Verde by Salvador Dali

Fragrance notes, from Parfum Dali site: fig, grapefruit, jasmine, vetiver, ambergris, sandalwood.
    This is a floral-green scent. It has a somewhat sweet tone, rather than crisp or herbal. When I first smelled it, I was convinced that there was moss and musk in it, but they are not listed. The scent has a mossy-genteel air about it, and is quite old-school in its presentation. I find it a bit heavy and perfumey-sweet, so I’m neutral on it.

Santa Maria Novella by Santa Maria Novella

Fragrance notes: bergamot, citrus, white flowers, spices (and probably musk)
    A classic, classy EDC. Very citrus-y, fresh and refreshing. The citrus notes are softened by the flowers and mild spices. No surprises here, this is one of the originals, a charming old-school scent. Very much in the same camp as R&G Extra Vielle. A lovely, beautiful dry-down, with a “comforting” quality from the spices and light musk.

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

Fragrance notes: sweet lime blossom, bergamot, tarragon, (probably iris).
    No surprise, this is a powdery floral. Not very citrus-y. This is a romantic, beautiful scent. The tarragon is very restrained herbal background to the lovely white blossoms. I’d say it is mostly for women, and yet I can appreciate it (though am unlikely to wear it myself). It has a haunting depth that intrigues me. I suspect there is iris in here, making that sort of contribution.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

This has a soft, sweet and aromatic opening, kinda boozy. It drys a bit, develops some incense. I can smell the violet leaves (not too piercing) and some good cedarwood notes. The iris and violet accord forms the heart of the scent – other elements simply frame that. This is an artistic but slightly edgy-brooding element… like AW I guess. Complex, quite intriguing, but a little too sweet for me. And iris-violet are not high on my list. I think it could have more dry incense. I don’t like the amber-y drydown. I didn’t get any metallic notes.

In The Library by CB I Hate Perfume

worn leather, worn cloth, wood polish”
    This was weird. I don’t get any of those ingredients. I do get an odd, fruity/dessert chord. It is hard to identify. Peachy-pear, melon, pudding, bread pudding, custard… with a sharp note. I don’t care for this at all! Where are the old books, the wooden benches?

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

This has a gorgeous citrus-neroli opening. Verbena is quite evident too, with its distinctive green-citrus character. So far, it is crisp, fresh, very enjoyable… just a beautiful scent. When these beautiful notes burn off, there is a grassy vetiver chord, along with some synthetic notes which are a bit metallic. Also there is an animalic musk note that sometimes is intriguing, sometimes a bit irritating.

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Great balls of fire, this is a big ol’ scent! It has a lovely opening, very masculine with citrus-spice notes. These are followed by assertive woods and more spices. They are dry and quite aromatic. Then everything settles in and gets bigger… and bigger… and bigger. It does turn into a PR twin. It has a big, soapy, old-school scent. Very powerful and rich, and so retro! Surprising for this line. Apply LIGHTLY. I can appreciate it, but given the price I won’t be seeking it out.

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

This has a lovely lime-citrus opening. It is superb, excellent, really zesty with a hint of hint of green herbs. Honestly, this is one of THE BEST lime openings I’ve ever experienced. It is awesome! Then it deepends and develops into a fresh, slightly metallic phase. It is interesting… I don’t dislike it but I’m not crazy about it. It is hard to describe, almost like tender green onion shoots. Not bad, but unusual. Patchouli and vetiver appear, each quite tangy. The vetiver is pretty good: it is not heavy or soapy. A complex scent.

Holy Smoke by Demeter Fragrance Library

I'm neutral on it. I love dry incense scents. I recognize that Demeter is an inexpensive spritzy line, so I don't expect too much. But I have to say that there really isn't much incense here. It starts with light wood tones, they appear right at the start. Then follows a slight synthetic smell. It is not really unpleasant, reminding me of rubber tires and garage notes, in other words a sort of industrial chord. But where's the incense? The scent is not sweet, heavy, or obnoxious. The dry-down is OK, and here if I REALLY use my imagination I can pretend there is the faintest whiff of incense.
    My advice -- if you want incense, pay the bucks and get a high-quality fragrance. Bois D'Encens and Bois D'Orage come to mind. Sure they are expensive. But they are an incense experience! The Comme des Garcons line is also good. Life is too short to stay stuck at this basic level.

23 September, 2008

Greenbriar 1968 by CB I Hate Perfume

Kind of odd but not obnoxious. A sweet scent due to the tobacco and hay. Also green in a hard-to-define way. I don't get any of these quirky elements (sawdust, leather gloves, etc.). To me it is just a light, breezy, slightly sweet and synthetic scent. Very typical of CB style. Wouldn't seek it out.

21st September, 2008

l'eau de parfum #1 (for you) / parfum trouvé by Miller et Bertaux

Fragrance elements: white lily, purple iris, ylang-ylang, “a chutney of spices,” cedar, sandalwood, rosewood, musk.
    The floral notes are sweet and quite lovely. There is something like pear or tropical fruit here. I don’t get any spices. Hint of sweet rosewood, some musk. Develops an irritating element, perhaps it is the iris/lily combo which gets too powdery for me. Not my style but I thought I’d see what it is like. I don’t care for it, and I don’t think I’d like to smell it on anyone else.

21st September, 2008

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I’ll grant that this is a complex, distinctive scent. I agree with assessments that it has a slightly strange, synthetic character. And, like others, I find that the “everything-but-the-kitchen-sink” ingredient list is daunting. This scent doesn’t work on me, and I don’t like it. All these elements (many potentially quite interesting) combine on my skin into a sweet-sharp, powdery, leather-patchouli combo that is quite irritating. Filter those through its synthetic prism and Antidote really does nothing for me. I don’t even think I’d like to smell it on anyone else. It gives me a headache.

15 September, 2008

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This has a really, really woody opening! It got my attention. The various woods combine to suggest cedar, a real pencil-shavings tone. In the opening, it is a cool-spicy wood scent, and I like it. I don’t mind the fenugreek. I think we see a good, naturalistic rendition of this seed/spice. Yes, it is bitter, medicinal, woody… and it adds an interesting aspect to the scent. It is not out of balance with the other elements. I don’t find this to be sweet or foody-gourmand. I also don’t find anything curry-ish here. My overall impression is one of wood. Eventually the cedar tone is replaced by the promised sandalwood, here done in a mild style. Several hours later, I’m still smelling it. Now it has a somewhat sweet, powdery-balsamic aspect. Here I lose interest, and will not move from sample to purchase.

15 September, 2008