Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

A very orange, tangy opening… more powerful than I expected. It is like the zesty oil expressed from squeezing an orange skin. It softens into nice florals. It is a bit sweet, especially with the lily note. I can appreciate it, but I wouldn’t wear it.

05th November, 2008

Moss Breches by Tom Ford

Fragrance notes (from TF site): woods, spices, beeswax absolute, clary sage, tarragon, rosemary, labdanum, patchouli, benzoin.
    I'm in agreement with Vibert. I'm underwhelmed by this scent. I was expecting great herbal notes, a green experience. I call this a honeyed brown sort of scent. Ambery vanilla from the resins hit my nose from the get-go, and persisted throughout. I don't have a complaint against the patchouli. It is restrained, and adds an interesting tangy note to the rich scent. Ultimately, it is too ambery for me to endorse or enjoy. It is a luxurious scent, some would find it classy. My complaints are as follows: where is the moss, where are the herbal notes, where are the woods? It is a pleasant sort of scent, but not terribly interesting. The Breches in the title refers to a region of France. The moss in the title? Your guess is as good as mine.

29th October, 2008

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Revised review
    I hadn’t thought I would like it. I assumed that it would be very berry/fruity. Although not bottle-worthy for me, I always find it intriguing. The scent has been called "enigmatic" and I agree.
    The fruit notes start as bright, pleasant, natural, juicy, and not at all faux-synthetic. Later, they become subtle, dry and complex. Spices tingle in the background. The patchouli emerges -- at times earthy-brown, at times metallic, at times tangy (all typical traits). The scent settles into a nice incense-wood vibe.

27th October, 2008 (Last Edited: 12th October, 2014)

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

Fragrance notes: peach, plum, blackcurrant, honey.
    This is the first JM scent that I don’t like. It starts off very peach-y. It is a complex scent, like warm peach preserve. It is interesting, but very fruity. The honey is tolerable, not rich and sugary-sweet. But then the scent develops an unpleasant tinny note in the dry-down. This metallic note with the lingering peach is not attractive to me, nor would I find it attractive on someone else.

27th October, 2008

Vetyver by Jo Malone

This has a gorgeous neroli opening, with light spice and green notes quick to develop. Then there is a lovely, cushiony vetiver scent. I call this an ideal treatment of vetiver. It is not sharp or excessively earthy, nor is it heavy and soapy. It has a charming vitality and a comforting quality that I can’t explain, but I do enjoy! This is not a complex scent, but I love it.

23rd October, 2008

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Fragrance notes: grapefruit, tangerine, rosemary, vetiver
    No surprises – this is very citrusy. It is quite natural smelling, and thus I enjoy it a lot. There are lovely green and light herbal notes, a hint of pine/mint from the rosemary and another grassy hint from vetiver. These give the scent very good longevity, and the citrus finds a way to linger too. I like this very much! JM scents are designed to layer, and I have no doubt this would add sparkle to many scents. I think it stands well on its own, as well.

23rd October, 2008

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I have been wearing this for several hours and I find it hard to entirely dismiss. There are certainly interesting elements here, and a distinctive character arises from their combination. But something doesn’t quite work for me, or keeps slightly irritating me. I think it is the combination of patchouli (tangy) with the honey (wafting in and out of sweetness) and moss (generally good but here a bit brackish). It is a spicy and bold, honey-brown scent, and in the end I find that it is not my style. I’m open to any moss scent, and this one was worth a try. But it is not for me.

22nd October, 2008

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

This is OK. It is a spicy incense, a bit rich and sweet. The incense notes are not the driest or most interesting but they are acceptable. Lots of spice notes. Not radical or distinctive, this is smooth and attractive and is a crowd-pleaser. The dry-down is a bit sweet and generic, the patchouli makes its appearance.
    The spices + patchouli suggest to me a weaker, blander version of Kiehl's Pour Homme.
    Not dry enough or interesting enough to compel a purchase for me, but there's nothing wrong with it.

21st October, 2008 (Last Edited: 02nd March, 2011)

Roadster by Cartier

Fragrance notes: bergamot, mint, vanilla, patchouli, fern, vetiver, labdanum, cashmere wood.
    I found two very distinct phases here. #1 is odd, a chocolate-vanilla-candy smell. Slightly synthetic, and also like stale After Eight mints. I'm disappointed there are no citrus notes (at least none I could detect). 5 minutes later, this burns off and we get to phase #2. This is a cool, dry and (to my nose) light herbal fougere. There are hints of patchouli, fern and grassy vetiver, and an interesting salty note. I like this phase. Some have complained about the mint, but after the first phase it is not an issue. I'm pleased that it is dry and an herbal fougere (an interesting style, and one not in vogue at the moment). Later in the dry-down, there is a vanilla-fern note that is pleasant but a little too vanilla to endear itself to me.
    Thus, I'm not bowled over by Roadster, but I do give it kudos for being mostly dry and having a distinctive style.

Agua Verde by Salvador Dali

Fragrance notes, from Parfum Dali site: fig, grapefruit, jasmine, vetiver, ambergris, sandalwood.
    This is a floral-green scent. It has a somewhat sweet tone, rather than crisp or herbal. When I first smelled it, I was convinced that there was moss and musk in it, but they are not listed. The scent has a mossy-genteel air about it, and is quite old-school in its presentation. I find it a bit heavy and perfumey-sweet, so I’m neutral on it.

Santa Maria Novella by Santa Maria Novella

Fragrance notes: bergamot, citrus, white flowers, spices (and probably musk)
    A classic, classy EDC. Very citrus-y, fresh and refreshing. The citrus notes are softened by the flowers and mild spices. No surprises here, this is one of the originals, a charming old-school scent. Very much in the same camp as R&G Extra Vielle. A lovely, beautiful dry-down, with a “comforting” quality from the spices and light musk.

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

Fragrance notes: sweet lime blossom, bergamot, tarragon, (probably iris).
    No surprise, this is a powdery floral. Not very citrus-y. This is a romantic, beautiful scent. The tarragon is very restrained herbal background to the lovely white blossoms. I’d say it is mostly for women, and yet I can appreciate it (though am unlikely to wear it myself). It has a haunting depth that intrigues me. I suspect there is iris in here, making that sort of contribution.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

This has a soft, sweet and aromatic opening, kinda boozy. It drys a bit, develops some incense. I can smell the violet leaves (not too piercing) and some good cedarwood notes. The iris and violet accord forms the heart of the scent – other elements simply frame that. This is an artistic but slightly edgy-brooding element… like AW I guess. Complex, quite intriguing, but a little too sweet for me. And iris-violet are not high on my list. I think it could have more dry incense. I don’t like the amber-y drydown. I didn’t get any metallic notes.

In The Library by CB I Hate Perfume

worn leather, worn cloth, wood polish”
    This was weird. I don’t get any of those ingredients. I do get an odd, fruity/dessert chord. It is hard to identify. Peachy-pear, melon, pudding, bread pudding, custard… with a sharp note. I don’t care for this at all! Where are the old books, the wooden benches?

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

This has a gorgeous citrus-neroli opening. Verbena is quite evident too, with its distinctive green-citrus character. So far, it is crisp, fresh, very enjoyable… just a beautiful scent. When these beautiful notes burn off, there is a grassy vetiver chord, along with some synthetic notes which are a bit metallic. Also there is an animalic musk note that sometimes is intriguing, sometimes a bit irritating.

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Great balls of fire, this is a big ol’ scent! It has a lovely opening, very masculine with citrus-spice notes. These are followed by assertive woods and more spices. They are dry and quite aromatic. Then everything settles in and gets bigger… and bigger… and bigger. It does turn into a PR twin. It has a big, soapy, old-school scent. Very powerful and rich, and so retro! Surprising for this line. Apply LIGHTLY. I can appreciate it, but given the price I won’t be seeking it out.

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

This has a lovely lime-citrus opening. It is superb, excellent, really zesty with a hint of hint of green herbs. Honestly, this is one of THE BEST lime openings I’ve ever experienced. It is awesome! Then it deepends and develops into a fresh, slightly metallic phase. It is interesting… I don’t dislike it but I’m not crazy about it. It is hard to describe, almost like tender green onion shoots. Not bad, but unusual. Patchouli and vetiver appear, each quite tangy. The vetiver is pretty good: it is not heavy or soapy. A complex scent.

Holy Smoke by Demeter Fragrance Library

I'm neutral on it. I love dry incense scents. I recognize that Demeter is an inexpensive spritzy line, so I don't expect too much. But I have to say that there really isn't much incense here. It starts with light wood tones, they appear right at the start. Then follows a slight synthetic smell. It is not really unpleasant, reminding me of rubber tires and garage notes, in other words a sort of industrial chord. But where's the incense? The scent is not sweet, heavy, or obnoxious. The dry-down is OK, and here if I REALLY use my imagination I can pretend there is the faintest whiff of incense.
    My advice -- if you want incense, pay the bucks and get a high-quality fragrance. Bois D'Encens and Bois D'Orage come to mind. Sure they are expensive. But they are an incense experience! The Comme des Garcons line is also good. Life is too short to stay stuck at this basic level.

23rd September, 2008

Greenbriar 1968 by CB I Hate Perfume

Kind of odd but not obnoxious. A sweet scent due to the tobacco and hay. Also green in a hard-to-define way. I don't get any of these quirky elements (sawdust, leather gloves, etc.). To me it is just a light, breezy, slightly sweet and synthetic scent. Very typical of CB style. Wouldn't seek it out.

21st September, 2008

l'eau de parfum #1 (for you) / parfum trouvé by Miller et Bertaux

Fragrance elements: white lily, purple iris, ylang-ylang, “a chutney of spices,” cedar, sandalwood, rosewood, musk.
    The floral notes are sweet and quite lovely. There is something like pear or tropical fruit here. I don’t get any spices. Hint of sweet rosewood, some musk. Develops an irritating element, perhaps it is the iris/lily combo which gets too powdery for me. Not my style but I thought I’d see what it is like. I don’t care for it, and I don’t think I’d like to smell it on anyone else.

21st September, 2008

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I’ll grant that this is a complex, distinctive scent. I agree with assessments that it has a slightly strange, synthetic character. And, like others, I find that the “everything-but-the-kitchen-sink” ingredient list is daunting. This scent doesn’t work on me, and I don’t like it. All these elements (many potentially quite interesting) combine on my skin into a sweet-sharp, powdery, leather-patchouli combo that is quite irritating. Filter those through its synthetic prism and Antidote really does nothing for me. I don’t even think I’d like to smell it on anyone else. It gives me a headache.

15th September, 2008

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This has a really, really woody opening! It got my attention. The various woods combine to suggest cedar, a real pencil-shavings tone. In the opening, it is a cool-spicy wood scent, and I like it. I don’t mind the fenugreek. I think we see a good, naturalistic rendition of this seed/spice. Yes, it is bitter, medicinal, woody… and it adds an interesting aspect to the scent. It is not out of balance with the other elements. I don’t find this to be sweet or foody-gourmand. I also don’t find anything curry-ish here. My overall impression is one of wood. Eventually the cedar tone is replaced by the promised sandalwood, here done in a mild style. Several hours later, I’m still smelling it. Now it has a somewhat sweet, powdery-balsamic aspect. Here I lose interest, and will not move from sample to purchase.

15th September, 2008

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

I agree with wise Hirch. This one is a major disappointment for me. Why? Because of its unrealized potential. What promising ingredients! A really excellent line-up on paper. It should have an aromatic, zesty green opening, a spicy and perky-green middle, a resinous base, and lovely whiffs of pine throughout. Instead, all we have is another cool-fresh scent in the current middle-of the road style. BORING! The only element I can really distinguish is the patchouli… oh joy. It is slightly sweet and tangy. The whole thing is blah and more than a little vacuous, like many current releases.

13th September, 2008

Vétiver by Piver

Fragrance notes: apple, citrus, lavender, nutmeg, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli.
    This is in two phases. The first is a lovely green-citrus one, with a hint of woody spice. This is well done with a sporty, green character. It reminds me of Greenergy or Trophée Lancome. The scond phase is the dry-down, which is woody. First vetiver and then sandalwood appear. Each is done in an attractive and classy style Longevity is medium, fading after 4-5 hours. This is a relatively inexpensive scent, and I like it.

12th September, 2008

Gypsy Water by Byredo

Interesting to see the varied reactions (and emergent fragrance profiles).
    This was a disappointment to me. The top and mid-note elements had promise: juniper, pepper, pine, incense. I applied it, and POOF – immediate amber/vanilla. And that was pretty much it. The basenotes were there from the get-go. If I used all my powers of discernment, I can imagine very faint pepper and pine, but you really have to go searching. I’m not a fan of amber and vanilla, they are Ok as a slight feature at the end but they are not what I seek in a fragrance. So, I can’t endorse this one. It fails to live up to its potential.

11th September, 2008

Acqua di Genova Colonia by Acqua di Genova

This is a true classic, a lovely scent in the typical cologne style. It has a soft character, the citrus is gentle yet prominent. The citrus notes combine graciously with the rose. The rose is beautiful, not heavy or too sweet. I think this is very similar to R&G Extra Vielle. Light wood notes at the end. No surprises here, but quite enjoyable.

11th September, 2008

Green by Byredo

This has a pleasant, citrus-green opening. I think the middle is truly lovely. I’m not usually a floral fan, but this is beautiful. I get all the scents: jasmine, violet (flower and leaf), honeysuckle, and rose. They are fresh, translucent, and natural (not synthetic). They are light, and although not heavy or terribly sweet they do make a statement. Their effect in combination reminds me of lilac. The dry-down moves to a violet leaf centre. Bright, a bit piercing. I always find violet leaf to be an acquired taste; but I have to say this is pretty good. It is a kinder, gentler Grey Flannel. The sweet almond, musk and especially the vanilla are thankfully restrained in treatment. This is OK, quite nice in fact. But I agree that it is not a very ‘green’ scent.

10th September, 2008

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

I am very impressed with the Eau D’Italie line. I find them to be complex and refreshingly DIFFERENT from the usual new fragrances. They really have character, verve, and charm. Such is certainly the case for Paestum Rose. It has a rich opening that I would characterize as oriental: it is dark, mysterious and compelling. The myrrh lends a sensuous, languid note. I am convinced that the “exotic woods” are at least partly from oud – hence a further dreamy (or narcotic, as one has said) aspect. On my skin, the rose is a minor note: I find the myrrh, oud and other woods and spices to be dominant. The patchouli is evident but presented with restraint. It augments the other elements but does itself not hog the stage. Great dry-down. To my mind this is a masculine scent but I can see that it would be terrific on some women. It’s a sexy scent.

05th September, 2008

Hunter by Atkinsons

Let’s have a moment of silence for our dearly departed friend… my mini bottle of Hunter. In its youth it had such promise: citrus, aromatic-herbal-pine notes… Now all we have is a tired old hippie vest, sweetly and strongly smelling of patchouli and leather. Let us think kindly of it, my friends. Let us hope it once communed with nature. Now it is a wizened war-horse, a tawny and very perfume-y relic of greener days. Its green vitality has evaporated.

04th September, 2008

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Spirited discussion here. I think that if a fragrance lists interesting ingredients, then it should deliver interesting and well-done notes. In my opinion, VpH does not deliver the goods. I agree that the citrus notes are very good: they should be, given their number and variety. However, I find the middle to be boring. I don’t get any clary sage (a particular favorite of mine), nor cedar wood. All I get is a light, cool, marine vibe. Yes, it is a salty breeze but I do question the value of yet another entry in this over-populated category. The oud (normally a really quirky element) is so domesticated as to be invisible. The amber is dry, thankfully. In sum, this seems to me like another airy, slightly synthetic blast of cool air. It just doesn’t appeal to me in any way. Marks deducted for lack of originality.

03rd September, 2008