Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Extract of West Indian Limes by Geo F Trumper

Limes! That’s it, just limes. They are green, zesty-fresh, natural. This is a wonderful, refreshing tonic splash. It is very short-lived, and that is to be expected. Citrus oils are (by nature) volatile and brief, and this scent doesn’t have any base notes which would prolong or develop. In other words, it is what it is. Splash it on and enjoy the brief experience. Half an hour later do it again, or put something else on – it will layer with anything. Indeed, ‘layer’ is an over-statement. In a half-hour, you just have your skin (but nice-smelling).

11th August, 2008

Tabacco by Odori

This is gorgeous. Honeyed vanilla notes with tobacco are not my style, and yet I find much to appreciate here. The opening notes, although sweet, are not cloying. The impression is of a sweetly-scented tin of pipe tobacco that has just been opened. This is a very attractive, even sexy scent. The tobacco leaves are restrained and give a beautiful brown-leaf tang. Moving into its development, the scent displays luxurious incense and jasmine. The incense reminds me of myrrh, another sweet and perfumed aspect. Vetiver is mellow rather than grassy. So I have to say this is one of the best scents in the tobacco family that I’ve ever encountered. It is classy and compelling. My problem is that vanilla and tobacco just get sweeter and more opulent on my skin, and after an hour I grow weary of them. But this is truly a lovely scent, and I’d enjoy a romp with a lovely woman wearing it. So, a neutral vote but still appreciative.

Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920

Top: bergamot, lemon, petitgrain, cloves, geranium, artemesia
    Mid: patchouli, lavender, vetiver, sandalwood, cedarwood
    Base: tobacco leaves, musk, amber, vanilla, benzoin, labdanum, galbanum
    The citrus is absolutely invisible in the opening. I get rich and spicy cloves, and a bit of green artemesia. Then appear some good smoky and tangy notes of vetiver and lavender. I find this phase to be excellent. Then the vetiver reaches down and shakes hands with the amber. I’m not a fan of vanilla, amber or tobacco leaf. However, they are well done here, not excessive or cloying. This one is not my style, but I can appreciate it. Perhaps it is more suitable for a woman, in fact I think it would be quite attractive on the right woman. The dry-down is excellent, I appreciate the hint of dry and dusky-green galbanum.

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

The lemon-spice opening is pretty good. Lovely rich florals give this depth. The sandalwood starts off woody and tangy, and with the other ingredients it intially makes a dignified statement. But then the heavies (amber, leather, patchouli and particularly vanilla) kick in and highjack the scent. Where did the sandalwood go? This winds up creamy and luxurious, quite sweet and perfumed. Loads and loads of vanilla give this a foody sort of profile. Not my style at all. For the complete opposite – a lean, woody, austere sandalwood – try Santal by Melvita in its Soliflore line. That can be hard to find but is is worth the effort, I never grow tired of it. Whereas this Trumpers is a scrubber for me. A shame, because I love pretty much all of the ‘historical’ Trumper scents. But the modern ones don’t have the same character: perhaps in an attempt to have a unisex scent some of the masculine assertive flair has been lost.

Gli Odori by Odori

Well, I’m disappointed in Gli Odori. I love herbal scents, and the product descriptions of little pots of herbs in the sunny streets of Florence sounded so nice. The opening is great: herbal, fresh and green, even a bit piquant. There is also a bit of peppery nutmeg spice, and woody pencil shavings from the cedar. The cedar and sandalwood bring out a citrus note that is also pleasing. Then, the whole thing goes south on me! The celery seed combines aggressively with the cedarwood and I get a STRONG cumin pong that just gets bigger and more obnoxious as time goes on. I’m not against cumin-like scents, Trumper’s Eucris for example has a nice little pinch of it. But it is just way too much here. Out of interest, I compared Gli Odori with MPG’s Grain de Plaisir – what a difference. Admittedly, celery seed is the ‘point’ of Grain (whereas it should only be a background element in Gli Odori); yet in Grain it stays as celery seed (slightly sweet, aromatic, nutty and celery-like). Grain is much finer scent in my opinion. Can’t register a positive for Gli, unfortunately. I'll be interested if others have the same impression.

Under The Arbor by CB I Hate Perfume

Fragrance elements: grape leaves, weathered wood, green moss, cool earth.
    Under the Arbor – a lovely name, memory, concept. I’d love to sit in a pergola or arbor on a hot summer day and smell the above wonderful things. However, I’m underwhelmed by this scent. It is slightly green (sappy, vinous) and has a somewhat innocent mood. Fairly sweet and floral; young flowers I’d say. There is a fresh and cool note, mint-like. But the latter becomes another example of the irritating fresh notes in many of today’s scents. Whatever the grape leaves are supposed to be, to me they smell like grape Kool-Aid powder, or a tin of grape soda-pop with a mint lifesaver dissolved in it. Moss? Pretty subdued. Wood? Can’t find any.

Real Patchouly by Bois 1920

Top: celery, mandarin orange, thyme, davana, cedarwood
    Mid: patchouli, sandalwood, eucalyptus, incense
    Base: tobacco leaves, musk, vanilla, benzoin, labdanum
    The first half of Real Patchouly is excellent. It has a wonderfully dry resin-incense note, freshened by a bit of eucalyptus. The woods are woody and well done. So far this ranks with Bois d’Encens or Bois d’Orage. Then the sweet and rich notes of tobacco leaves, amber and vanilla kick in. The scent gets bigger, browner and heavier and I like it less and less. The final dry-down is quite ambery and vanilla-laden; a true oriental style of fragrance. I guess if you like amber and vanilla you’ll like this; but I don’t. I vote 'neutral' because of the fine first half.

Winter 1972 by CB I Hate Perfume

Fragrance elements: snow, woolen mittens, frozen forest.
    Winter 1972. Fresh, entirely synthetic. Not attractive to me at all. Odd, frosty, no ‘warmth’. Like smelling blasts of air from a freezer. I understand this is a wintery scent... but sheesh. At times a whiff of something like coriander – the only interesting thing there but a bit too sweet. It has poor longevity, in this case a blessing. I’m sorry to be so negative, but I find this to be vacuous and irritating. It makes my nose sore.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

Fragrance elements: marine, salty breeze, driftwood, rocks covered in seaweed, old leather suitcases.
    Mr. Hulot’s Holiday – a charming French movie, full of wry observations of human nature and great physical comedy, all conveyed wordlessly. I guess this scent is an homage to the movie, but I too am not a fan of this family of scents. It is an airy, breezy, fresh scent. What I find in many scents of this family is certainly what I find here: a synthetic, detergent-like note that gets colder and more irritating as time goes on. This is an OK scent, but in my opinion nothing special. Its chief virtue is that it is somewhat less irritating than others. Don’t get any green seaweed, old wood, or leather notes here. Just fresh, fresh, fresh. My nose is getting weary of all the freshness.

Classic 1920 by Bois 1920

Top: bergamot, pepper, nutmeg, basil, juniper
    Mid: rose, jasmine, osmanthus, cedar, apricot, lavender, black pepper
    Base: amber, vetiver, musk, tobacco leaves, thyme
    Classic 1920 has a marvelous opening. It is spicy-green, aromatic, invigorating and quite charming. This is the best part of the scent, in my opinion. The scent then opens up and mellows with the appearance of the floral notes and light woods. The base is where I lose interest. I’ve never been a fan of tobacco-leaf scents. I understand the rich, sweet brown note but it doesn't work on me. The amber-musk notes add other rich and sweet notes. I don’t get any of the vetiver or thyme notes. So I’ll be neutral on this one, but I admit it is a classy and lovely scent that will appeal to many.

28 July, 2008

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Top: tea leaves, cumin, lemon, orange, rosemary, lavender
    Mid: rose, jasmine, hyacinth, geranium, cedar wood, sandalwood, patchouli
    Base: myrrh, tobacco leaves
    Sandalo e The is a complex, difficult-to-categorize scent… indeed an “odd duck.” I think part of the issue is how it reacts on male skin (judging from the reviews so far). On me, the particularly ‘male’ fragrance notes are accentuated (cumin, wood, and tobacco leaf). I wonder how this scent would be on a woman? The opening is very aromatic and quite interesting. The first time I tried this I got cumin, cumin, more cumin. That is the sweaty spice mentioned in the review below. The cumin circles around and reappears in every phase of this scent. Smoky lavender adds to the forceful entry. Then there is a woody middle phase. I got more cedar than sandalwood, and I enjoyed it. I didn’t get any florals the first time I tried it. The second time, my nose was accustomed to the barrage and I could detect nice floral notes, which are brief and frankly overwhelmed by the more powerful notes. In the base, myrrh is dominant. It is heady-sweet, perfumed and rich. The tobacco leaves are sweet, brown and tangy. The myrrh-tobacco chord grows and grows, and finally moves into a languidly sweet drydown. This is an interesting scent, but where’s the tea leaves and sandalwood? I like the aromatic, bold qualities, but in the end find it too sweet to suit me. But give it a try, it is different!

25 July, 2008

Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia by Bois 1920

Detailed fragrance note list –
    Top: grapefruit, lemon, orange, mandarin, petitgrain, cumin
    Mid: jasmine, patchouli, lime, lavender, sandalwood, cassis
    Base: musk
    I am of mixed mind about Agrumi Amaria di Sicilia. I like the concept of a Mediterranean hesperidium-inspired scent. I like its particular citrus notes; they are fresh, persistent (for such notes) and natural smelling. So what’s the problem? Namely that this is an expensive, exclusive scent that merely (and mildly) delivers the same sort of lemony EDC vibe that R&G’s Extra Vielle, or even good old 4711, have been doing for centuries at a lower price and with more oomph and character. For this price, I expect either an outstandingly vibrant rendition of the basics, or a distinctive twist on that. Neither is in view here. AAdS has a lovely citrus opening, in particular the grapefruit is really appealing and evident. There is a hint of green (lime, lavender leaves) and the merest spice note. The scent has a slightly cool, airy quality; and it pretty much stays that way. I don’t get the cassis berries. The patchouli is light (thankfully), so is the musk and sandalwood. This is a subtle, refreshing scent… nothing wrong with it. But is it worth the price? In my opinion, no.

24 July, 2008

Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920

Top: citrus (bergamot, mandarin, lemon)
    Heart: spices (pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon) and jasmine, rose, anise
    Base: vanilla and woody notes (sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, tonka beans)
    I got this expanded list off the Net and it jibes with what I’m smellin’.
    First I’ll have a mild grumble about the name. I can imagine a scent that actually might evoke a sushi-like vibe: it could have a marine note, a wasabi kick, some dark soy… and that would be an interesting sort of thing. Sushi Imperiale has absolutely nothing to do with sushi. So why the name? I suppose because it is an oriental style of scent. But Japanese minimalism and focus (seen for example in some of the Comme des Garçons line) is the antithesis of the rich, spicy, luxurious oriental style of fragrance. Giving this scent the name ‘sushi’ suggests a simplistic marketing attitude of “hey, let’s pick an oriental-sounding name that no one has used yet.”
    Enough of that line, what about the scent? It is a beautiful oriental, to be sure. That style is not my cup of tea but I can note what’s here. The citrus opening is so brief as to be undetectable, at least on my skin. I immediately get interesting spices, which are peppery and warm. These are softened by floral notes. Vanilla and patchouli emerge and the scent gets sweet, soft, opulent, slightly foody. So it is a nice scent, some may enjoy it.

23 July, 2008

Razala by Ayala Moriel

Ambergris itself is one of the few natural animalic fragrance ingredients that has no connotations of cruelty because it is produced and excreted by the sperm whale. It can float on the ocean for years evolving under the influence of sun and salt water. Then it is collected when it washes up on shore, by which stage its distinctive nutty, warm scent is a symphony of boronal, ambrinol, dihydro ionone gamma - and its best-smelling aromatic part, ambroxan.”
    This techie note is from the Luckyscent site and gives very interesting insight into the mysterious allure of beach-harvested ambergris. What a rare and fascinating ingredient!
    Razala has a rich, spicy opening. It is not very orangey on my skin. The scent is soft, floral, and substantial. I think the oud combines very well with the myrrh: it gives a bracing edge to the aromatic and perfumey myrrh. The oud and myrrh combine to create a sensual, languid, almost narcotic feeling. The drydown is spicy and complex. The scent is intended to evoke a “love-potion” mystique, and in my opinion it succeeds! It doesn’t suit my skin type, but is an exceptionally beautiful scent which I would enjoy smelling on someone lovely.

23 July, 2008

Zohar by Ayala Moriel

Zohar” in Hebrew means enlightenment, brilliance or glamour. “May Zohar,” “Zohar Water,” or “Glittering Water” are common names for orange blossom water in the Middle East, which is used in refreshing drinks and fancy confections.
    Well, I think the above is so interesting that I pasted it in from Ayala’s site. I’ll add that The Zohar is a beautiful series of books of Jewish mysticism, part of the Kabbalah tradition. In part, they speak of humanity in productive harmony with nature – a fitting connection for such a lovely fragrance.
    Zohar by Ayala is a gorgeous soliflore scent. That means that it emphasizes a single note, usually floral. It has other fragrance elements but these serve to frame and accentuate that note. So what we have here is a love letter to the orange blossom. The neroli scent, from flowers of the bitter orange tree, has been described as spicy, dry yet floral, fresh but with depth. That is exactly what we have here. Those expecting an orange fruit scent will only find a faint hint of it. I love the smell of neroli, and this is a delightful rendition. Tuberose adds an ethereal, expansive air to the dense orange blossom and jasmine florals. There is also a note that I struggle to identify… ‘brown’ comes to mind. At times it seems like toasted nuts, or earth. It may be the honey absolute, or the type of amber, or it may be an indolic component which is a languid and somewhat pungent background factor typical of these florals. Zohar is a complex soliflore, and well worth trying.

17 July, 2008

Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie

Top: incense, bergamot, blackcurrant buds
    Mid: terra cotta
    Base: amber, lichen (moss?), cedar, patchouli, honey, yellow sweet clover, musk
    If you read about the hotel on the Eau d’Italie site you find these fragrance notes – they are not listed elsewhere.
    Well, I think this is fantastic. It gets top marks for all three phases. First, it has incense as a top note (rather than the base) – how unusual and creative! I love dry, resinous incense scents so I don’t have to wait on this one. The incense combines with the blackcurrant buds for a sappy-green and zippy opening. Second, the clay or terra-cotta note in the middle is brilliant and quite distinctive. How they achieve it I can’t imagine, but it is very realistic. Third, the dry-down is mellow, suave, not sweet or heavy but very satisfying. It is really lovely, a restrained but completely effective blend. In particular there is something (lichen-moss perhaps) that gives a hint of a salty-green note that is just great!

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

I tried Eau de Cartier in both its regular and concentrated versions. I like each to a certain extent, but can’t endorse either whole-heartedly. Eau de Cartier Concentrée reduces the problematically powdery-amber drydown of the regular version, so that’s a good thing. It is a sharper and more acidic fragrance, and a simpler one. Sadly, it has lost the haunting and elusive herbal-wood note that I enjoy so much in the regular version. This is a bigger scent than the regular: it has more green-acidic notes, more violet leaves, more musk. It is an OK aromatic-green scent. A bit sour, and slightly synthetic in character… not very interesting in my opinion.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Eau de Cartier has a fruity and crisp green opening. It is quite citrus-fruity, but the yuzu (a Japanese citrus) is not the usual lemon. The middle starts as a very translucent light green herbal chord. It has hints of metal (not something I usually like) but here it is pleasantly cool. The cool herbal notes come from the violet leaves and lavender. This is excellent, and if it stayed there this would be a favorite. At this point there is haunting, elusive quality that draws me in. The dry-down starts off subtle and initially continues the light herbal-woods note from the middle. Cedar adds a woody note which complements the herbs. Unfortunately from my perspective, the amber and patchouli grow and grow and drown out that great middle section. There is a powdery, perfumed profile which just turns me off. Where’s my axe? I’ll cut off the base, and then I’ll be happy. Out of appreciation for the first two phases I’ll just be neutral on this.

Le Petit Prince by Le Petit Prince

Who could resist such a cute line, including scent, bubble bath, soap… all at really inexpensive prices when it appeared at a local remaindered shop? Not me! It is true that it would take a genius designer to capture the whimsical, poignant, innocent, sadly wise qualities of the novella Le Petit Prince. And it is true that this scent does not fully do that story justice. However, it is an acceptable scent and it you can find it at a low, low price then you might give it a try. It has a very good lemon-verbena opening. In my opinion the verbena is really quite good, lots of citrusy-green leaf notes. These last a satisfying amount of time for volatile citrus top notes. Later there are very light touches of moss and tiny bits of translucent wood which – if you use your imagination, as the little Prince suggests we all should – give a somewhat thoughtful air to this light-hearted lemony splash. Apply liberally and repeatedly. The joys of life are beautiful but transitory. We can’t hold on to them, we just enjoy the moments.

14 July, 2008

Lotus Bleu by Roger & Gallet

I wear some R&G scents: Vetyver, Extra Vielle, Bouquet Imperiale, Ginger. To my masculine taste, those are dry enough that I enjoy them. Lotus Bleu is a beautiful scent but – no surprise – I find it to be feminine and thus outside my style. Thus, I can report that it is quite sweet, floral, pretty. The floral notes are big, even rich. The patchouli is sweet. Not much wood here. I think this is one of the ‘bigger’ R&Gs in terms of fragrance presence. Since I have to position the thumb I'll put it sideways, but this is an attractive scent for women.

14 July, 2008

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

Spezie puzzles me. There are different versions of the fragrance notes. Here is what I got off a LV brochure: “pure herbs from the Tuscan garden” (laurel, origanum, sage, thyme, rosemary, lavender, fennel, tomato leaves), juniper, cut grass, fir, bergamot, coriander.
    Well, that should be exactly the sort of herbal-grassy scent I like! And many reviewers describe it as a green herbal concoction. I’ve sampled it twice, but on me it is an odd sort of powdery scent. The image I get is of a hand that has worked in the garden but more recently was in a rubber glove sprinkled with baby powder. Needless to say this does not thrill me. The opening is very pungent, sharp and spicy. But even at this stage, and developing further, is a sweetish-aromatic tone that I suppose might be from juniper… it is a bit boozy-gin in style. Once in a while I get hints of herbal notes, and also a sweet-nutty coriander note. But basically the powder remains front-and-centre. This should be like a super-charged Sisley Eau de Campagne, on me it is something very different. I like herbal scents -- for me this is not herbal enough.
    (additional thoughts) I stand by my earlier review. The powdery aspect of this is my bane. Otherwise, it is a very interesting scent: it is green, herbal and spicy, medicinal (which I like). Every time I try it I dislike it less... and it now seems much better to me than Piper Nigrum which is even sweeter and more powdery!
    Latest thoughts... I have assessed this again, without looking at my previous notes. My conclusions remain similar. The scent is too sweet and heavy to suit me. For my taste, the sweet spices are at odds with the aromatic herbs and overwhelm the herbs. I continue to get the impression of a sun-warmed plastic bottle of baby powder -- not the sort of thing I seek out. The herbal notes here are excellent, but they aren't a big enough component.

11th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2012)

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Additional fragrance notes (from sample brochure): mastic tree, red cedar
    I like Un Jardin en Méditerranée. It is the first fig-oriented scent I’ve tried that I can endorse. This is a citrus/green leaf/light wood scent. It is light, translucent and very refreshing. It opens with a crisp citrus and green leaf note. Woods quickly appear. They stay close to the skin but are very well done. By that I mean they are ‘true’ to type, in particular the cedar smells very natural. The mastic tree note is a gum which has a leafy-resinous character. The fig elements start in a low-key way and get bigger (but never out of control). I think this is the ‘biggest’ of the three Hermès Jardin scents, the one with the largest presence. If you are a fan of fig scents, you’ll probably like this. I’m still neutral on them but I have to admit this one is pretty good.

10th July, 2008

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Un Jardin Après la Mousson: a lovely name, a beautiful bottle, an excellent concept… a failed product. This was a disappointment for me. I like its sibling scent, Un Jardin sur le Nil, very much and I looked forward to trying Mousson. The opening of peppery spices and a brief blast of melon was attractive. That lasted for about ten seconds. Then things turned unpleasant. There was a salty-stale marine chord which evoked the image of a salt-encrusted pier with barnacles and seaweed. Also, there was an odd kind of toasty note, like rancid sesame oil and dodgy old melon rinds. And that is where it stayed until I washed it off. This is a unisex scent that can be disliked by either gender.

09 July, 2008

Megumi by Ayala Moriel

It is interesting to note how Megumi performs on my (male) skin. The fruity notes are not prominent. Similarly, the florals are lovely yet not too sweet. For me, the peppery spice notes lead, supported and softened by florals and light fruit. I call the opening phase “green aromatic,” and it is very attractive and dynamic. Then, mysterious oud starts to blossom, and it provides a very intriguing segue into the lower notes. At first it gives a bracing edge to the fuzzy moss. Then it combines with vetiver to give a smoky wood/grass chord. Finally the oud itself takes centre stage, but now it is supported and modulated by all the previous notes. I think this is another brilliantly designed green scent by Ayala. I also think it would be an excellent introduction to oud for the uninitiated. Sometimes oud can be overpowering or highly distinctive; here it is marvelous and very attractive. This can be a unisex scent, I like it a lot.

08 July, 2008

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I’ve tried Polo Black four times, and I like it less each time. Enough! It has some elements (sage, armoise, aka. artemesia) that have the potential to be appealing. But all these “green effervescent accords” and “lush liquid accords” and hedione translate into an overly-synthetic and irritating scent. It is a shallow scent: airy-fresh with no redeeming depth or character, something like smelling cool air blasting out of a freezer full of frozen green things.

07 July, 2008

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi

Additional fragrance notes: (top) apple, lemon, bergamot; (mid) mimosa, pepper; (base) opopanax, sandalwood. From the Villoresi site.
    Incensi is interesting. It has resinous incense notes at each level, yet it is not an incense-heavy or dryly resinous scent. Its final effect is cool, contemplative, slightly detached or even melancholy. In other words, you are not in a daytime church service experiencing chanting, colorful vestments and smoky incense. Rather, you have wandered into a cool and silent cathedral in the evening. Ghosts of prayers and incense linger and outside, there is silvery-cool moonlight.
    With that impressionistic image, I’ll analyze the scent. It has a great galbanum opening. There are those spicy-green celery leaf and dusty stones notes which I associate with galbanum. To me this is a very attractive stage. Then it changes to a gentle spice accord, with a bit of powder. I find the spices to be subtle, a seamless mélange rather than clearly identifiable cinnamon or pepper. The dry-down becomes cool and powdery. The myrrh adds a slightly sweet, softly aromatic and perfumed note. Normally I don’t like powder but this has a haunting restraint that works for me. Wearing this on a warm day gives a cool sensation. I like it, it is different.

04 July, 2008

Chancellor by Tru Fragrance

Romane’s Chancellor is irritatingly fresh. It is VERY minty and a brash, budget-frag sort of green scent. A severe blast of spearmint, like toothpaste or a Lifesaver mint! We can do better than this sort of thing.

l'eau de parfum #3 green, green, green and green by Miller et Bertaux

Fragrance notes: aromatic herbs (laurel, bay leaf, coriander/cilantro), sap of fruit wood, “garrigue,” white jasmine, “assertive woods” (cedar, vetiver), verbena, musk.
    Miller & Bertaux’s Green-4 is very distinctive. It simultaneously offers fresh green and woody notes. It opens with a verbena blast (lemon/basil/freshly-baked bread) and then segues into a dry yet fruity wood. Aromatic, green, very refreshing; all is excellent.
    A note on “garrigue” – it is a Provençal French term for the smells of wild resinous herbs (e.g., thyme, lavender, rosemary) as they grow in the hot baked earth. Many wines from this region, are described as having a garigue aroma and flavor. Garigue literally means a thicket or bunch of low bushes. So whatever the garigue is in G-4 it is certainly green, lively and intriguing.
    The wood in G-4 changes from fruity to cedary, and it intensifies. In fact, for me this becomes a woody scent with green supporting notes. It is distinctive, as I’ve said, and oddly satisfying. If I were to compare to a Hermés scent it would be Le Jardin sur le Nil. Jardin is more lemony and has an interesting ethereal paper/reed note; whereas G-4 is woody and earthy. However, the two seem like cousins to me.

02 July, 2008

Sandalwood by D.R. Harris & co.

D. R. Harris’s Sandalwood has some attractive elements but it is BIG and spicy. It is woody, somewhat dry but also a bit cloying and heavy. It smells like an old wooden chest that has had spices stored in it for a few decades. It evokes the glory days of the original Old Spice sort of scents… definitely old-school. Powdery dry-down, with amber, clovey spice and sweet musk. Not my style but certainly a classic.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Foetidus said somewhere that one sign of an exceptional fragrance is the way it evokes polarized opinions. That seems to be the case here! I like this scent very much, and don’t get any of the so-called synthetic, metallic or problematic elements. To me, it is a luxurious and beautiful scent. It is not heavy nor sweet, there is no vanilla (thankfully) and its powdery elements are restrained. I find it to be masculine and suave. I think it would work well as a date scent: it has exceptional sillage (as some have noted) and women love it! I think one reason that women like it is that it does project a ‘masculine’ aura. Having just read the excellent article “What Makes a Scent Masculine?” by Ayala Sender [ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/what-makes-fragrance-musculine.html] I agree with her point that the natural smell of a man’s body includes elements which have a similarity (inter alia) to cumin, wood and vetiver… precisely what we have in this scent. This starts with a brilliant overture of all its elements: there is smoke and incense, spice, a creamy power/leather note, and very good dry wood. The scent settles into a dry spicy-wood vibe that is very enjoyable. The cumin is noticeable but IMO well-modulated, restrained, and combines well with the wood. I find the incense to be a minor note, lovely but not as mysterious and evocative as that in the CdG Incense line. Excellent!

27 June, 2008