Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

L'Herbe Rouge by Ayala Moriel

Lemongrass is the centre of this scent, exerting its strong lemony – grassy presence. Hay absolute combines with the lemongrass to create a sweet, “hay field in the sun” chord. Some aromatic notes from the clove bud, lavender and juniper berry add interest at the beginning, but they quickly make way for the lemongrass.

15 May, 2008

gs01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Top: dew drop green, orange blossom, green lime, carrot seed
    Mid: white peach, freesia, waterlily, rose, jasmine, davana
    Base: cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, basmati, musk, amber, moss
    This is a lovely scent, full of peach fruit and richly sweet flowers. It is not unisex, it is a feminine scent; and it would suit a lovely young lady.

14 May, 2008

L'Écume des Jours by Ayala Moriel

L'Écume des Jours is an exceptional fragrance. I urge those interested to go to Ayala's website & read her comments about the link between this fragrance and the novel of the same title. Her intent was to create a slightly "melancholy" scent. Without knowing that, I had already characterized this as having a haunting, contemplative character. The opening is very interesting, aromatic and spicy-green. I find the florals to be subtle, they slightly soften the dry elements but are not foreground. The salty-briny note from seaweed is really interesting. The elements here, and the mood they create, are first-rate. This must be tried to be understood; words fail to capture its effect. Ayala has a real understanding of green scents. Speaking as a fan of green scents, I never fail to be pleased with her creations. This is listed in Basenotes as a feminine scent but I can assure you that many men will love it, this one does!

14 May, 2008

Gaucho by Ayala Moriel

Absinthe (wormwood), “African stone tincture,” angelica, bergamot, broom (genet), deer’s tongue (liatrix), galbanum, “green cognac,” guiacwood, hay absolute, jasmine, neroli, rosemary absolute, yerba maté
    What a fascinating list of ingredients! On her site, Ayala says, “coumarin is the soul of Gaucho” and I certainly agree. This is a very grassy scent, meant to evoke warm breezes coming off the pampas plains of Argentina. It is intense, amazingly tangy, dry... a grassy green rather than a leafy green or a forest green. It is so dry and bold that I think any man could wear it. I find the floral elements (jasmine, neroli and guiacwood which has rose qualities) are very background. There are many grassy or hay-like elements here and they dominate: broom, hay absolute, and of course the coumarin from the deer’s tongue. My research reveals that deer’s tongue was commonly used to scent tobacco, which is why this fragrance very much reminds me of my father’s tins of pipe tobacco. This is a completely unique sort of scent, nothing at all like the amber powdery fluff-ball of Yerbamate by Villoresi! Try it!

12 May, 2008

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

I find Egon Oelkers (eo 02) to be a spicy-woody-ambery sort of scent. It starts with good spices and brief citrus notes, and a bit of aromatic galbanum. I searched for the very interesting heart notes but they eluded me. This very quickly settles into alternating notes of cedar (excellent) and rich amber (well done but not to my taste). If you like buttery amber you’ll probably like this. I feel it could have been so much more. I’m neutral on it, a bit disappointed given the great potential of its ingredients.

12 May, 2008

Sabotage by Ayala Moriel

This has an excellent aromatic green-citrus opening. It is very lemony and invigorating. Grassy-hay notes emerge, contributed by the vetiver and coumarin (from the tonka bean). I think Ayala is an expert on coumarin, she can always get excellent cut-grass notes when she wants. The blond tobacco leaf adds an intriguing variation on this grassy theme. It reminds me of my father’s old pipe tobacco tins. This is a lovely daytime scent. I don’t find Sabotage to be ‘macho’ or ‘stinky.’ The grassy notes are quite distinctive, but that is part of this scent’s charm. Ayala’s site says that she created Sabotage to be “a parody of classic masculine scents.” I like it.

09 May, 2008

Fete d'Hiver by Ayala Moriel

I have completely revised my review. My earlier comments were based on my confusion between this scent and one with a similar name, "Fete D'Hiver pour Homme." The notes are completely different between the two, and the latter morphed into Bois D'Hiver in Ayala's current product line.

Here, we see a rosewood (bois de rose) centered scent. Rosewood oil is very powerful, with a languid and rich note reminiscent of deep roses but also furniture oil and old wood. It can dominate a scent if overdone. Here, it is definitely the focal point but it is handled well, and provides a good foundation for the pleasant and warm spice mix and the floral notes. The scent is rich, cozy and not too sweet. There are nice hints of incense and sandalwood in the dry-down.

08 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2012)

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I've revised this review. Initially I was neutral on it. I still think it is a classy scent, but I find that a couple of elements dominate and I don't like them. If others like these elements then they won't have a problem with the scent.
    The first problematic element for me is the anise. I appreciate a little of that fennel-licorice note, but here I find it dominates in the early going. Sometimes I get a cool, minty note from the rosemary or cloves from the carnation, but mostly it is anise.
    The second and third elements which give me problems are the vanilla and patchouli. Just a little too much vanilla to suit me, and the patchouli, while earthy and tangy, is also assertive and a bit sweet and heavy.
    This is an old-school aromatic fougere. Give it a try if this style interests you. It is a classic of its style.

05 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2012)

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I have completely revised my review. I now recognize that this is an old-school fougere. The dry-down is a little more sweet than I like, with a little more vanilla than I seek out. But really, this is a charming and classy scent made with the traditional profile of lavender, coumarin, and moss.
    The lavender is lively, accurate, herbal, and persistent. It picks up bits of aromatic herbs from the clary sage, as well as some wood notes. The dry-down is very smooth and gracious. The coumarin from the tonka, in combination with the moss, give a pipe tobacco note, something almost smoky and intriguing. There are hints of good wood in the dry-down as well, and the lavender continues to add an element.
    I can find no fault with it, it is a lovely scent and is worthy of the title "classic".

05 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2012)

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

A lovely, lovely scent. A lot like Eau Sauvage, perhaps a little more floral/sweet. Also a lot like Jean-Marie Farina, but more lemony. In other words, a classy aromatic citrus cologne. A feel-good fragrance with an elegant, white-shirt formal vibe that is balanced with sensuality. Invigorating lemon opening. Light herbal notes are softened by florals, likely rose. The base is also attractive, with well-done sandalwood and mossy musk. Excellent!

05 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2010)

Acqua di Firenze by i Profumi di Firenze

Acqua Mirabile Odorosa di Firenze is the full title I have. This is a lovely sort of scent. Though it is a bit more floral than is my usual preference, it is neither sweet nor heavy. I don’t think the green notes are *very* green, they fill in the spaces around the two floral notes, iris and honeysuckle. Iris is the emblem of Renaissance-era Florence so it an appropriate element in this signature fragrance. Here the violet-like qualities of iris root convey the fresh and transparent aspects noted by many. Honeysuckle gives a warm, rich quality, suggesting to me jasmine with a hint of vanilla. I find this to be pleasant, but I’m not wowed by it.

02 May, 2008

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is a marvelous scent in the aromatic, spicy-wood line. It starts with citrus and warm spices, with hints of smoky incense. The elements are well blended, so it is a bit of a challenge to pick them out. However, I can say that the jasmine softerns the resinous incense and enriches the woody spices. Hints of patchouli add tangy complexity. Dry woods emerge, along with some grassy vetiver. Hey – no vanilla at all here! Excellent! I like this sort of scent and this is very, very well done. Much better than Corolian, and not as barber-shop/clovey as Rive Gauche. And I find Virgilo to be SO green and basil-y that I don't see the resemblance.

02 May, 2008

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

This is very good for many reasons, and here is an important one: it is distinctive! If the character was obnoxious or problematic that wouldn’t be a good thing, but that is certainly not the case here. Jardin is very attractive. The opening is freshly-tart, with citrus and green fruit. This moves into an interesting floral heart that is aromatic, green, with a green-straw quality. I attribute that to the calamus, a reedy plant : this is what papyrus might smell like in a perfume. Then – very cleverly – the scent develops its sycamore note. This compliments the calamus so well! Sycamore seems birch-like to me, with a clean woodsy aspect. Together the calamus and sycamore give a quiet, haunting aspect to the green tones. This combination is striking and so might seem ‘synthetic’ to some, but I find it utterly natural and quite appealing. A minor quibble: the frankincense is very light, not a distinct element at all though perhaps a supporting one. But perhaps the strongly green and resinous notes of too much frankincense would overpower the excellent notes above. Jardin is interesting! It is not an oriental at all, as one might assume from its Egyptian connotation. It is a lovely fresh chypre, an airy green scent. Great stuff! Quite suitable for a man to wear.

01st May, 2008

Double Zéro by Galimard

This has a nice aromatic opening of lavender, green herbs and fern notes. Then there is a tiny whiff of pine. Sandalwood emerges as the dominant element here: it gives soapy, brisk woody notes. In the drydown, the wood is supported by vetiver. This is a dry scent, competent but not distinctive. Just OK.

01st May, 2008

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

I like this a lot. Herbal-pine scents are a favorite style for me, and this is a good treatment of that. There is an excellent aromatic opening of pine and artemesia (here spicy and tarragon-like) with other herbaceous notes. Very green, dry, and full-bodied with real appeal and vitality. A hint of cloves gives spicy-wood depth and a tangy quality. Lingering in the background is the whiff of burnt wood and ashes... the traitor is burning his bridges behind him. Then another tangy note emerges, a chord of patchouli and leather. Not excessive but certainly assertive. At times this chord reminds me of Christmas spices or an orange with spices stuck in it. This has good longevity and a very satisfying dry-down. It is similar to Yatagan. I’d characterize the two as follows. Eloge du Traitre has more pine and greener notes in the opening. The dusky and ashy notes are distinctive. The patchouli-leather notes are more pronounced. It is a more outdoorsy scent, a bit drier and more austere. Yatagan is beautiful in its 80’s old-school way. A smoother, richer green. More aromatic and darker, richer and more suave. Each scent is fantastic.

28 April, 2008

Royal Aoud by Montale

I’m new to the world of oud so I’m exploring my reactions to this new sensation. This is intriguing. It has a haunting, elusive quality that appeals to me. It is piercingly ‘clean’ but not synthetic or ‘fresh’ in the current style. It is bright and yet dark at the same time. Bug spray... band-aids... rubber... medicinal... I sort of agree and yet I find this appealing. It is not an industrial nouveau, edgy sort of scent. It is in the old Arabian tradition of rare perfume, a world of scents perhaps unfamiliar to modern sensibilities. Many have said that this is not a big powerhouse scent, and I agree. Applied lightly, this has restraint, artistry, a quiet sort of power. I find it to be coolish rather than warm. It is not woody (except for a sharp sandalwood sort of tone), not very spicy, not very leathery. I agree with Vibert’s profile, particularly the powdery-sweet and vanilla aspect. And the fact that I like this amazes me, normally I detest such elements! At times there is the hint of something like chocolate liqueur or creme brulée. Certainly there are ambery notes. I can only account for my approval in the sheer artistry and subtle panache of this. The drydown is a very subtle, second-skin scent.

23 April, 2008

L'Anarchiste by Caron

I've completely revised my review and now give this a gentle thumbs down. It isn't a wretched scent, but in essence here's the problem as I see it: good wood burns off too quickly, fresh musk arrives too quickly.
    The orange notes are so fleeting as to be undetectable. The wood notes are good, woody and even spicy. But, very quickly it seems, the scent becomes cool, metallic and minty-fresh. As long as this mingles with the woods it is a rather intriguing combination. But the woods burn off very quickly and all I'm left with is a minty musk, which gets somewhat sweet in the dry-down.
    Smells like a generic "fresh" scent to me. And that is not a style I care for.

21st April, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 December, 2012)

Gingembre by Roger & Gallet

Fragrance notes: citrus, ginger, “oriental flowers”, musk
    This is an attractive eau de cologne, very much in the R&G style. In my opinion, that means a somewhat under-rated performer, quite competent if not brilliant. R&G’s in my experience don’t have a lot of initial flash but with a couple of sturdy applications they quietly maintain well all day. The florals here are lovely and so is the musk dry-down. There is nothing so pretty or sweet here that keeps me from wearing it. My one caveat is that there is nothing “gingery” about this scent. No spice, no crisply acidic tones or tangy wood notes that are found in freshly-sliced ginger. I think that is a hard note to render in a scent but it would be great to find.

20th April, 2008

Monsieur Galimard by Galimard

Top: bergamot, lemon, lavender, tarragon
    Mid: cinnamon, geranium, sage
    Base: oak moss, sandalwood, musk
    The Galimard site gives these additional fragrance notes. This is a very good woody fougère. I really like this sort of scent and this is good value and quality. There is a lovely opening of lemon, with aromatic lavender and herbal notes. Spice and herbal aromatic notes continue and develop. Excellent “ferny” notes are here, very well done. And then it settles into an attractive light wood. I find that the longevity is not great, but this is inexpensive enough to have reapplications without guilt.

18 April, 2008

Lem by Galimard

Update: this is a generic, ozonic-fresh scent with a bit of green. No pine, no incense. Perhaps some juniper and rosemary, put through a rather synthetic phase. The minty notes suggest wintergreen toothpaste. The dry-down is a bit powdery. At least it is not heavy and not sweet. Reference points: reformulated Greenbriar (Cassewell-Massey), Molinard Green.
    ---
    Lem... odd name, vaguely sci-fi in tone. Lem is a competently rendered fresh aromatic green scent. It is big, smells a bit budget. Fresh and green, fresh and green, on and on. Hello, I am a green creature from the planet Lem. It is hard to pick out individual elements, in particular I searched for pine (my obsession) but couldn't find it. This is a lot like Grafton by Truefitt and Hill, perhaps not quite as good.

16 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2011)

Le Vainqueur by Rancé

Top: Mediterranean citrus fruits, melon, watermelon
    Mid: ginger, nutmeg, sea breeze, jasmine, lily of the valley, lavender, geranium
    Base: leather, iris wood, ambergris, musk (from Rancé website)
    This is an attractive, modern-style scent with a hint of history. Like others, I doubt that this is what Napoleon would have worn. The summery-fresh-marine note is very contemporary. The opening has citrus and melon fruit notes which are pleasant, not sweet, classy, and well blended. The melon adds quite an interesting aspect. Then some woody spices emerge and combine effectively with various floral notes. At this point the scent is complex, and it is difficult to pick out individual elements. The drydown has a restrained and sophisticated treatment of potentially rich ingredients (leather, ambergris, musk). These gradually deepen and have a lovely, even haunting quality. It is this last phase that has the best claim to historical roots. What we have here is an intriguing combination of new and old. I like it.

15 April, 2008

Forest Rain by Scentsational of Huntington

Forest Rain by Scentsational of Huntington
    “Lush and green like a tropical forest.” (from Scentsational website)
    I’m sampling an oil-based fragrance, so it is mellow and persistent. Forest Rain has an exceptionally lovely opening: very green, somewhat spicy. What do we have here: galbanum, clary sage, basil? It is round, no harsh edges, rich without being heavy. The drydown is dusky, slightly sweet. Clary sage may be combining with blond tobacco leaf or some other hay note (perhaps vetiver). The drydown continues to get more mellow and sits close to the skin. This is a chypre, it reminds me quite a bit of Sous les Vent, a limited edition scent by Guerlain. Quite nice.

15 April, 2008

Aomassai 10 by Parfumerie Generale

Aomassi by Parfumerie Generale starts like a beautiful dessert, with delicious caramel, nut and vanilla scents. If you like sweet foody scents you’ll love this. It then develops a tangy aspect from aromatic vetiver and a bit of wood, as well as a dried-grass smoky aspect. This is a complex scent, with the tangy and sweet elements alternating. Ultimately the sweet wins. The promised resins and woods are under-developed in my opinion. This is a lovely scent. But it is of no interest to me to wear, it is not my style.

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2012)

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

I'm probably the wrong person to review this. I dislike foody,vanillan, sweet, ambery scents. Yet a friend gave me this, so I thought I'd give it a try. It has some very interesting top notes which are slightly dry and smokey. Hence the "narguile" (water pipe). Ayala has a very apt description below, when she talks of dry, leathery notes which morph into round, sweet, fatty amber. Plenty of vanilla here. If you like a uber-opulent oriental, try this. It's just not my style. Very persistant, very sweet.

11th April, 2008

Boucheron pour Homme Edition Bleue by Boucheron

Boucheron pour Homme Edition Bleue is excellent, much better than the regular version in my opinion. I won it at a perfume shopping night, and am very pleased! It is slightly opulent yet fresh, a citrus and spicy-wood scent and is very classy. The opening is very citrusy, lemony and aromatic. The aromatic notes develop in the middle... some sort of woody spice (perhaps coriander) softened by a light floral note. The patchouli is very restrained and blends with the cedar to give a fresh, slightly dusky wood tone. I like this very much. It settles close to the skin and purrs. Worth checking out, regardless of what you think of the regular BpH.

10th April, 2008

Quercus by Penhaligon's

The opening of Quercus has lemon-lime and green herbal (basil) notes which are refreshing and lively. The floral notes are effectively used for a man’s fragrance: they soften but are not sweet and do not dominate. There is an attractive moss base, with a tiny bit of spicy green galbanum. A bit of sandalwood peeks through as well. This is a medium-toned scent: it is attractive in a low-key way. I find it pleasant, but not compelling or distinctive. It is a mossy sort of scent, not outstanding nor distinctive. Mild endorsement.
    (revised from previous review)

09 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2012)

Eau Sans Pareil by Penhaligon's

Eau sans Pareil has a very interesting, aromatic opening. It is dusky green and herbaceous, tangy and a bit minty. Just what you’d expect from a combination of sage and artemesia. The scent settles down into a dry, refreshing, slightly soapy and mossy chypre. This is very attractive, it is a shame that it has been discontinued.
    ---
    OK people, here is the deal. The above review is for the vintage juice. I just did a side-by-side comparison of old and reissue. What a sham! Penhaligons has really done a disservice to consumers by offering this totally different scent under the same name.
    NEW - a dog's breakfast of notes... go to the Penhaligons website and check it out. The scent itself is floral, sweet, with glittery aldehydes. Extremely generic, with no distinguishing features. Bits of candy sugar, bits of spice, bits of floral notes. Powderly, at times very sweet, at times a bit metallic.
    OLD - aromatic, dusky-green, earthy, herbal. Dry. A mossy chypre, slightly soapy in the dry-down. Celery leaf note from the artemsia. Old-school in style, quite charming.
    Shame on Penhaligon's for foisting this on us. At least have the decency to call it Eau Pareil 2, and don't charge so much for a drugstore style scent.
    Thumbs up for the vintage juice.
    Thumbs way, way down for the re-issue.

09 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2012)

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

Lavendula has a peppery initial blast, followed by deep and smoky lavender which is surrounded by lily of the valley. Pretty good so far. Then there is a light vanilla and amber-musk drydown. A nice scent, but in my opinion not compelling. I like a very dry, aromatic lavender... and this isn’t quite that.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Villoresi’s Uomo! This is mind-bogglingly good. It produced an immediate DNA-lock on my system. Do you ever try a scent like that? You try it and say, “that’s exactly right! It is so satisfying, so ME!” Well that is what I’ve found here. There are two phases, each of them is excellent. The first is a very green/citrus tone. Both the top and mid notes have citrus and herbal components, and they are complex, invigorating and very appealing. They meld into phase 2, the base notes of vetiver and sandalwood. At first woody sandalwood appears, and it is dry and exotic. Then superb vetiver concludes the show, aided and abetted by musk and a bit of patchouli. I classify this as a vetiver scent, and I’d say it is one of the best I’ve tried. It captures the spicy-grassy “comfort zone” of well-done vetiver.

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

Racquets Formula, in my opinion, is both mis-named and mis-classified. “Racquets” suggests a summery-crisp green scent, a sporty tonic to be splashed on after a tennis match at Lords. Penhaligon classifies Racquets as a citrus scent. Having tried it, I would say it is a semi-oriental with minimal citrus. It has rich spices and an equally rich amber/powder backbone. There is only about 5 seconds worth of citrus at the beginning. Those citrus notes are immediately softened and immersed in the florals. Lovely spices and pleasant wood notes are noticeable, in particular the frankincense interacts well with the cedar. It is a complex and lovely scent, with many layers and stages. The dry-down has beautiful moments, as the vetiver mingles with musk and incense. But it still retains a powdery-amber aspect, thus it is a little too rich for my liking.