Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Extract of Limes by Penhaligon's

This starts with wonderful green citrus notes. They are brisk, refreshing, and very true to type (lime, lemon). The scent settles into a gorgeous orange blossom scent – a creamy cloud, slightly woody. Acceptable longevity for a citrus scent.

09 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2010)

Esprit de Lavande by Penhaligon's

Aromatic and dry lavender... obviously. This is a green-herbal lavender scent, and the opening is very good. Lavandula has basil, canella (white cinnamon bark) and black pepper, and since EdL has a spicy-wood aspect perhaps they are here too. Perhaps also clary sage which is a musky green scent. Actually, this becomes more green-herbal and less lavender as it develops. Then oakmoss and musk emerge, with a bit of vanilla. This has a fougere-style ending. Nice, quite old-school. The musky moss dry-down gives it a Victorian aura, charming but a bit dated. And it is discontinued.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Penhaligons’ English Fern – what a lovely scent! It has a very bright, crisp opening of lavender and green notes. The clover is a brilliant touch, giving a fresh-field scent. Very quickly that clover combines with a pure light oakmoss for the signature “rubbery” clean scent that is so attractive and desirable in a great fougere, in my opinion. The patchouli is done just right; giving a light spicy richness to the scent. Sandalwood adds a good woody note, and the latter two elements give a wonderful dry-down. This is a true classic. It has a slightly cool and distinctive “edge” that is typical of Penhaligons’ style (see also Duro and Blenheim Bouquet): it is assertive, confident, and masculine. It is more complex than the also very worthy Trumper’s Wild Fern.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens Arabie. Very exotic, a real Oriental and probably the way perfumes smelled in the ancient world. I was interested to try it for that reason. It is not my style: I’m not a fan of foody scents. Smells like Christmas fruit cake with dried fruit and spices. So I am glad to have sampled it, and out of respect for an interesting venture I give it a neutral rating.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

It is interesting to read the comments about this scent, it seems that I am experiencing something rather different. I see no similarity to old war-horses like Aramis or Trussardi Uomo. I find the spices to be light rather than deep, the wood to be fresh rather than resinous. I agree that Woods is fresh, clean, even a bit soapy. This is not the woodiest log in the pile, by any stretch of the imagination. It is a pleasant, subtle, mildly rich citrus-spice-wood experience. I enjoy it but don't expect the earth to move when I wear it.

Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's

Victorian Posy is a floral chypre, with a touch of green. It is aromatic, heady and rich; but not cloyingly sweet. It has violets, and pure violet can be sharp, even piercing (in my experience). Here that is softened by jasmine and roses. Amber and patchouli in the drydown give a touch of vanilla and power, with an aromatic pungent note. Everything is in balance, and elegant in an innocently charming sort of way. Evokes a romantic image of English gardens. Feminine, not unisex... something I can appreciate but not wear.

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

This is a very good Lily of the Valley scent: very accurate and pleasing. There is a fleeting citrus opening. The Penhaligon site characterizes this as a “sweet, fresh and graceful floral” with a “creamy white heart.” I can’t improve on that description. The muguet is aided and abetted by a charming jasmine note. The dry-down is charming, the florals persist and are supported by light moss and sandalwood. Yes, this is a floral scent, and it is sweet and lovely. As a man, I wouldn’t normally wear this sort of thing (though I’d enjoy it on a woman). But I just love the scent of Lily of the Valley flowers, so once in a while I might put a little on and have a whiff of spring. Those flowers are so lovely, so brief in their season.

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

This is a very enjoyable, dryly austere scent. It has hints on incense on a woody framework. There is a good basil-herbal aromatic opening which goes well with the lemon and citrus opening. Wood makes an appearance almost immediately, before the incense. Then there is heady myrrh with chamomile blossom and spicy-green pimento leaf. This is followed by a green, pine-y frankincense with a hint of dry herbal lavender. The wood reappears, mostly sandalwood. The dry-down is cool and airy, it suggests smoke and the old stones of a cathedral. As I said, this is an austere scent, and I appreciate that. It is exotic but not heavy, not the usual rich oriental style. It suits me very well. (revised from my earlier review)
    Update -- dry (very dry), dusty and dusky... yet completely appealing. I really noticed the lavender this time, it combines very well with the frankincense. Nice woody dry-down.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2013)

Mazzolari Mazzolari by Mazzolari

Fragrance notes, citrus and green notes (probably galbanum and clary sage), spices (perhaps some combination of cloves, nutmeg, coriander and black pepper), vetiver, sandalwood. I also am convinced that there is oakmoss and patchouli here.

The juice is quite golden in colour. The opening is somewhat green, very peppery, and fairly powerful. It is old-school in a powerful, assertive way. Perhaps we see a hint of rosemary or mint, but I find no coniferous notes here. A bittersweet, tangy, dusky note emerges and takes over. Leafy, hay-like, even a bit sour or brackish. Rather brusque in character. I have downgraded and revised my earlier review. I find this (a) not as green as I'd like and (b) somewhat tiresome and leathery (in a mossy/patchouli way). Not quite my cup of tea, despite its greenish aspects.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2011)

Royal Green by Seve Ballesteros

Fragrance notes: citrus, lavender, wood, spices.
    The fragrance notes suggest exactly what is here: this is a simple, light, refreshing scent. There are green notes which are herbal, grassy, perhaps with a bit of mint or rosemary for freshness. Like morning sun on a dewy putting green -- HAH! Nothing profound or complex here, didn't expect that. It smells like a competent, pleasant, budget green scent. For collectors of green scents, but don't bust your "balls" to get it. A lot like Greenergy. A bit of sweetness, perhaps from a touch of patchouli.

Forbes of Forbes by Castle Forbes

Top: orange, mandarin
    Mid: basil, oakmoss, pine
    Base: clove, patchouli, amber, vanilla
    I like forest, pine, herbal and mossy scents... they are my favorite elements. I didn't find this to be any of those. Quite a tepid opening, and an excruciatingly bad dry-down of amber and vanilla. Yuck.

Keig by Castle Forbes

Top: lemon, lime, mandarin
    Mid: sandalwood, cedarwood
    Base: musk, amber
    Unappealing. Not much citrus or wood. An odd pongy scent.

1445 by Castle Forbes

Top: petitgrain, lemon
    Mid: tarragon, lavender
    Base: vetiver, clove, patchouli
    I was expecting an interesting chypre. All I found was a very citrusy dry opening. and an unpleasantly heavy patchouli-clove drydown.

Eau de Quinine by Geo F Trumper

revised review -- please replace previous

Notes: rosemary, herbs and bitters, bergamot, quinine
    The scent starts off in an interesting way. It is different from most scents which I’ve encountered, and it is cool and bracing. Very quickly however a sweetish and very powdery note appears. Baby powder in a plastic canister. I’d like to see more of the alleged herbs and bitters, more of the tonic notes of rosemary and quinine, and NONE of that wretched powder!

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2010)

Lavender Water by Geo F Trumper

A bracing blast of lavender and mint! I find this to be very good lavender: dry and aromatic. The scent develops well into a nice sandalwood, light patchouli and mossy base. This has the trademark Geo. F. style. It is quietly bold and assertive; masculine, aromatic and quite enjoyable.

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Trussardi Uomo is big, spicy, complex, and dark. A spicy-leathery 80’s warhorse, though more refined and classy than scents like Azzaro or Aramis. It is rich and it certainly has the potential to be heavy if not applied lightly. The drydown is a bit powdery and sweet, but it has a lovely spicy and venerable quality. Not my cup of tea, but I respect it.

Skye by Geo F Trumper

I don't see this as being at all in the solid, trademark Victorian style of Geo. F. Trumper. It seems like an accomodation, and a rather pallid one, to currently-modern tastes for synthetic/marine/fresh scents. I don't care for it. A rare disappointment from the excellent House of Trumper.

Trussardi by Trussardi

Fragrance notes: orange blossom, rose, sandalwood, patchouli.
    This is classified as a woman's scent, but in my ignorance I purchased a bottle at a discount store. The very cool white flask evoked a Jay Gatsby vibe. And in the end, I don't regret the purchase. After all, the two reviews so far are from a male perspective. This is an interesting scent. It only has a few elements in common with Trussardi Uomo and in my opinion is only somewhat like it. Trussardi White (as I call it) has a sharp, tangy, antiseptic-medicinal note that appeals to me once in a while. A peppery spice, a rubbery tang, a perky-edgy note... whatever it is, it is oddly compelling. The mood is somewhat like Arlington, another perky-aromatic scent. The rose and neroli soften it a bit but not too much. Probably here we see the distinctive rendition of cedarwood and patchouli. It has good longevity. Smokey, a bit sweet (but not excessive), at times creamy and subtle and at other times sharp. Perhaps it is an acquired taste, but I appreciate it more with each wearing.

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Ho Hang... what a surprise! It is delightful. Easy to overlook this one. As others have said; it is a fresh, woody Oriental. The elements are very well blended and create a lovely accord. The only clearly distinguishable notes are citrus at the beginning and lovely cedarwood throughout. The vanilla is not a problem here (it usually is for me). This is not a rich or overly spicy scent; it is sprightly, invigorating and enjoyable. Excellent dry-down. I’d say HH is in the same mood-camp as Worth pour Homme or Jil Sander Man Pure (Original) & I like it!
    ** Just a brief update on this. Wore it today and it hit every comfort zone I have. Superb warm spicy scent without being heavy. Wears so well and satisfies throughout the day. Upgraded to a full 5 stars, a definite thumbs-up. again, very similar to Jil Sander but a worthy and more accessible scent. Namely that both are "discontinued" but Ho Hang is widely available in discount and mall outlets. Check it out -- it is very good.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2014)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche pour Homme is a BIG scent. One squirt is enough for me. It is rich, potent, and lasts a long time. It starts with a spicy-mint lavender note, develops a woody-patchouli chord that verges on sweetness, then drys down into a classy and sensual blend. Women like it on a man. It has that old-school, barbershop assertiveness from its clove and patchouli. I appreciate it and enjoy it occasionally. It makes a statement!

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2011)

Private Collection - Corps et Ames by Parfumerie Generale

This has a peppery, intriguing and subtle start. Geranium rose and other rose notes are spicy, floral, translucent, not sweet and quite interesting. Woody bright hints of oudh -- good. Vanilla is very restrained. This settles into a pleasant peppery-floral-wood scent that is light and breezy. (substantially revised)

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2010)

Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale

Bois Blond is a scent in Parfumerie General’s Private Collection. It is a beautiful, slightly haunting scent. It starts with a very good cedar note mixed with some sweet grassy notes. There is also a sweet blond tobacco leaf note which is tangy. BB has an elusive, shifting quality that is intriguing: it is sweet and yet tangy, rich and yet dry. At times the amber notes deliver the usual vanilla-coconut tone (which is a little too rich for me), but then marvelous cedar reappears and I love it. At the end of the day there are drier cedar scents which I prefer; but I appreciate the quality, charm and artistry here.

Private Collection - Querelle by Parfumerie Generale

Querelle is a scent in Parfumerie General’s Private Collection. I’ve revised my review, and given it a slight downgrade. It is pretty good, but I’m not as keen on it as I was at first. Qurelle has two phases. The first is dark and spicy. It is deep, complex, quite tangy and intriguing. The dark spices and incense are a bit sweet but not problematic. Ambergris gives a balsam-vanilla note. All these rich ingredients are balanced by the tangy note from vetiver. In phase two much of the complexity burns off and what is left is a vetiver-centered scent that gets even tangier and more than a little soapy. This is in the Guerlain mode but better. I don’t like vetiver done that way, I find it too heavy and soapy. But if you like vetiver, then by all means give this a try and see what you think.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2008)

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

Fougere Bengale by Parfum d’Empire is a big, dramatic scent in the style of Eau des Iles. It has a very aromatic opening that is intriguing, deep and likeable. There is lavender and a bit of roasted coffee. Despite notes I’ve read here and elsewhere this is not a really foody/gourmand scent, in my opinion. Then leathery, animalic notes (probably from an unnamed synthetic) contribute a slightly wild, savage note which has good staying power. There are interesting, complex spices here. They are done with a subtle hand and are not curry-ish at all. Finally, a honeyed hay-tobacco note emerges, and this too persists. A hay note is to be expected in a fougere, but this is sweeter and more substantial than usual. This is a sensual scent, suave and yet a bit dangerous. It is not quite my style (a little richer than I really like) but I have to admit it is attractive and enjoyable.

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Luten’s Chypre Rouge certain polarizes opinion! Well, this isn’t the strangest fragrance I’ve smelled, and I certainly don’t get the ‘red jello effect’! It has a very sweet, honeyed opening that is perfumey and rich. It changes a bit, and some herbal notes and pine needles peek out. This is a complex scent, and hard to get a handle on. It gets a bit woodier, but remains sweet and fragrant. I don’t find this to be an obnoxious scent at all. Indeed, there is much to appreciate: the herbal notes interact well with the various mosses. It is just too sweet for me, that’s all. And the vanilla notes in the dry-down are the usual deal-breaker.

Ayalitta by Ayala Moriel

Notes: clary sage, galbanum, labdanum, neroli, oakmoss, patchouli, rose otto, sage
    Ayalitta is another charming scent from the Ayala Moriel line. I think that Ayala really has a knack for designing brilliant, distinctive and very classy green scents (others being Rainforest and Bois D’Hiver). Ayalitta is one of the loveliest chypres I know, it is just delightful! The galbanum and labdanum are vibrant without being overwhelming. The dusky clary sage adds a further green note. All these green notes are very enjoyable and true. They are softened wonderfully by the florals, yet the scent remains dry enough for this man to wear with great pleasure. It is a mellow and appealing scent. The drydown is a mossy treat. Ok thumbs... start pointing upward!

Fresco di Vetiver by I Profumi di Firenze

Fragrance notes: sicilian lemon, spice, vetiver from Java
    There is lovely lemon and spice here, combining in a warm accord. The vetiver is a bit sharp but is attractive, refreshing, woody. There is also a green-leaf aromatic note. So far this is a refreshing summery scent, substantial but not heavy. Gradually the lemon burns off and the vetiver becomes more focused. The scent settles into a good vetiver, not heavy and soapy. Linear and straightforward, but pleasing.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri

Oliban has three phases. The first is amazingly good, the second is OK, and I don’t care for the third. We start with a frankincense/cedar opening. It is deep, dark, woody, and very impressive. Excellent! This changes into a tangy tobacco/rose chord. Smells like a tin of pipe tobacco... charming in its own way. The third phase is a powdery, vanilla amber note which grows with the passage of time. Here’s the thumb goes sideways. I just don’t like that aspect. That’s why I prefer a leaner, more austere incense scent like Bois D’Encens or Bois D’Orage or some of the Comme des Garçons line. I’d characterize Oliban as being in the style of old-school late ‘70s male powerhouse scents: dark, rich, assertive.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I see why there are so many favorable reviews for Chene. It truly is a wood-lover’s dream come true. The birch and cedar are dry and aromatic, very accurate and completely satisfying. This is an exceptionally well-designed scent. The rich elements (tonka, rum, beeswax) support and enhance the wood, rather than compete with it. I’m usually wary of vanilla, but those notes from the tonka bean are just right here. The dry-down develops lovely herbaceous notes and is very complex and subtle, with a distinctive beauty. The thyme is very mellow, not at all like salad dressing. (I’m thinking of the thyme in Baïme, which in my opinion detracts from the other elements.) This has great staying power. If you like wood, seek this one out... you won’t be disappointed. The wood, earth and herbs evoke a mood of contemplative contentment.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Concentrée d’Orange Verte has a heavier, darker opening than Eau d’Orange Verte. It is mellow, and not as green/leafy. It has an elusive, restrained, even enigmatic quality in comparison to its more up-front sibling. It sits closer to the skin. It is woodier, and the soft florals make it a bit more classy and refined. Based on reviews below I was not prepared to like it... but I find that I do! I like green scents so I really enjoy the basic Eau d’Orange. But the concentrated version is a successful scent in its own right. At times it reminds me of Roger & Gallet’s Extra Vielle.