Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Forest Rain by Scentsational of Huntington

Forest Rain by Scentsational of Huntington
    “Lush and green like a tropical forest.” (from Scentsational website)
    I’m sampling an oil-based fragrance, so it is mellow and persistent. Forest Rain has an exceptionally lovely opening: very green, somewhat spicy. What do we have here: galbanum, clary sage, basil? It is round, no harsh edges, rich without being heavy. The drydown is dusky, slightly sweet. Clary sage may be combining with blond tobacco leaf or some other hay note (perhaps vetiver). The drydown continues to get more mellow and sits close to the skin. This is a chypre, it reminds me quite a bit of Sous les Vent, a limited edition scent by Guerlain. Quite nice.

15 April, 2008

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

Aomassi by Parfumerie Generale starts like a beautiful dessert, with delicious caramel, nut and vanilla scents. If you like sweet foody scents you’ll love this. It then develops a tangy aspect from aromatic vetiver and a bit of wood, as well as a dried-grass smoky aspect. This is a complex scent, with the tangy and sweet elements alternating. Ultimately the sweet wins. The promised resins and woods are under-developed in my opinion. This is a lovely scent. But it is of no interest to me to wear, it is not my style.

11th April, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2012)

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

I'm probably the wrong person to review this. I dislike foody,vanillan, sweet, ambery scents. Yet a friend gave me this, so I thought I'd give it a try. It has some very interesting top notes which are slightly dry and smokey. Hence the "narguile" (water pipe). Ayala has a very apt description below, when she talks of dry, leathery notes which morph into round, sweet, fatty amber. Plenty of vanilla here. If you like a uber-opulent oriental, try this. It's just not my style. Very persistant, very sweet.

11th April, 2008

Boucheron pour Homme Edition Bleue by Boucheron

Boucheron pour Homme Edition Bleue is excellent, much better than the regular version in my opinion. I won it at a perfume shopping night, and am very pleased! It is slightly opulent yet fresh, a citrus and spicy-wood scent and is very classy. The opening is very citrusy, lemony and aromatic. The aromatic notes develop in the middle... some sort of woody spice (perhaps coriander) softened by a light floral note. The patchouli is very restrained and blends with the cedar to give a fresh, slightly dusky wood tone. I like this very much. It settles close to the skin and purrs. Worth checking out, regardless of what you think of the regular BpH.

10th April, 2008

Quercus by Penhaligon's

The opening of Quercus has lemon-lime and green herbal (basil) notes which are refreshing and lively. The floral notes are effectively used for a man’s fragrance: they soften but are not sweet and do not dominate. There is an attractive moss base, with a tiny bit of spicy green galbanum. A bit of sandalwood peeks through as well. This is a medium-toned scent: it is attractive in a low-key way. I find it pleasant, but not compelling or distinctive. It is a mossy sort of scent, not outstanding nor distinctive. Mild endorsement.
    (revised from previous review)

09 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2012)

Eau Sans Pareil by Penhaligon's

Eau sans Pareil has a very interesting, aromatic opening. It is dusky green and herbaceous, tangy and a bit minty. Just what you’d expect from a combination of sage and artemesia. The scent settles down into a dry, refreshing, slightly soapy and mossy chypre. This is very attractive, it is a shame that it has been discontinued.
    ---
    OK people, here is the deal. The above review is for the vintage juice. I just did a side-by-side comparison of old and reissue. What a sham! Penhaligons has really done a disservice to consumers by offering this totally different scent under the same name.
    NEW - a dog's breakfast of notes... go to the Penhaligons website and check it out. The scent itself is floral, sweet, with glittery aldehydes. Extremely generic, with no distinguishing features. Bits of candy sugar, bits of spice, bits of floral notes. Powderly, at times very sweet, at times a bit metallic.
    OLD - aromatic, dusky-green, earthy, herbal. Dry. A mossy chypre, slightly soapy in the dry-down. Celery leaf note from the artemsia. Old-school in style, quite charming.
    Shame on Penhaligon's for foisting this on us. At least have the decency to call it Eau Pareil 2, and don't charge so much for a drugstore style scent.
    Thumbs up for the vintage juice.
    Thumbs way, way down for the re-issue.

09 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2012)

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

Lavendula has a peppery initial blast, followed by deep and smoky lavender which is surrounded by lily of the valley. Pretty good so far. Then there is a light vanilla and amber-musk drydown. A nice scent, but in my opinion not compelling. I like a very dry, aromatic lavender... and this isn’t quite that.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Villoresi’s Uomo! This is mind-bogglingly good. It produced an immediate DNA-lock on my system. Do you ever try a scent like that? You try it and say, “that’s exactly right! It is so satisfying, so ME!” Well that is what I’ve found here. There are two phases, each of them is excellent. The first is a very green/citrus tone. Both the top and mid notes have citrus and herbal components, and they are complex, invigorating and very appealing. They meld into phase 2, the base notes of vetiver and sandalwood. At first woody sandalwood appears, and it is dry and exotic. Then superb vetiver concludes the show, aided and abetted by musk and a bit of patchouli. I classify this as a vetiver scent, and I’d say it is one of the best I’ve tried. It captures the spicy-grassy “comfort zone” of well-done vetiver.

Racquets Formula by Penhaligon's

Racquets Formula, in my opinion, is both mis-named and mis-classified. “Racquets” suggests a summery-crisp green scent, a sporty tonic to be splashed on after a tennis match at Lords. Penhaligon classifies Racquets as a citrus scent. Having tried it, I would say it is a semi-oriental with minimal citrus. It has rich spices and an equally rich amber/powder backbone. There is only about 5 seconds worth of citrus at the beginning. Those citrus notes are immediately softened and immersed in the florals. Lovely spices and pleasant wood notes are noticeable, in particular the frankincense interacts well with the cedar. It is a complex and lovely scent, with many layers and stages. The dry-down has beautiful moments, as the vetiver mingles with musk and incense. But it still retains a powdery-amber aspect, thus it is a little too rich for my liking.

Extract of Limes by Penhaligon's

This starts with wonderful green citrus notes. They are brisk, refreshing, and very true to type (lime, lemon). The scent settles into a gorgeous orange blossom scent – a creamy cloud, slightly woody. Acceptable longevity for a citrus scent.

09 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2010)

Esprit de Lavande by Penhaligon's

Aromatic and dry lavender... obviously. This is a green-herbal lavender scent, and the opening is very good. Lavandula has basil, canella (white cinnamon bark) and black pepper, and since EdL has a spicy-wood aspect perhaps they are here too. Perhaps also clary sage which is a musky green scent. Actually, this becomes more green-herbal and less lavender as it develops. Then oakmoss and musk emerge, with a bit of vanilla. This has a fougere-style ending. Nice, quite old-school. The musky moss dry-down gives it a Victorian aura, charming but a bit dated. And it is discontinued.

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Penhaligons’ English Fern – what a lovely scent! It has a very bright, crisp opening of lavender and green notes. The clover is a brilliant touch, giving a fresh-field scent. Very quickly that clover combines with a pure light oakmoss for the signature “rubbery” clean scent that is so attractive and desirable in a great fougere, in my opinion. The patchouli is done just right; giving a light spicy richness to the scent. Sandalwood adds a good woody note, and the latter two elements give a wonderful dry-down. This is a true classic. It has a slightly cool and distinctive “edge” that is typical of Penhaligons’ style (see also Duro and Blenheim Bouquet): it is assertive, confident, and masculine. It is more complex than the also very worthy Trumper’s Wild Fern.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens Arabie. Very exotic, a real Oriental and probably the way perfumes smelled in the ancient world. I was interested to try it for that reason. It is not my style: I’m not a fan of foody scents. Smells like Christmas fruit cake with dried fruit and spices. So I am glad to have sampled it, and out of respect for an interesting venture I give it a neutral rating.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

It is interesting to read the comments about this scent, it seems that I am experiencing something rather different. I see no similarity to old war-horses like Aramis or Trussardi Uomo. I find the spices to be light rather than deep, the wood to be fresh rather than resinous. I agree that Woods is fresh, clean, even a bit soapy. This is not the woodiest log in the pile, by any stretch of the imagination. It is a pleasant, subtle, mildly rich citrus-spice-wood experience. I enjoy it but don't expect the earth to move when I wear it.

Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's

Victorian Posy is a floral chypre, with a touch of green. It is aromatic, heady and rich; but not cloyingly sweet. It has violets, and pure violet can be sharp, even piercing (in my experience). Here that is softened by jasmine and roses. Amber and patchouli in the drydown give a touch of vanilla and power, with an aromatic pungent note. Everything is in balance, and elegant in an innocently charming sort of way. Evokes a romantic image of English gardens. Feminine, not unisex... something I can appreciate but not wear.

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

This is a very good Lily of the Valley scent: very accurate and pleasing. There is a fleeting citrus opening. The Penhaligon site characterizes this as a “sweet, fresh and graceful floral” with a “creamy white heart.” I can’t improve on that description. The muguet is aided and abetted by a charming jasmine note. The dry-down is charming, the florals persist and are supported by light moss and sandalwood. Yes, this is a floral scent, and it is sweet and lovely. As a man, I wouldn’t normally wear this sort of thing (though I’d enjoy it on a woman). But I just love the scent of Lily of the Valley flowers, so once in a while I might put a little on and have a whiff of spring. Those flowers are so lovely, so brief in their season.

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

This is a very enjoyable, dryly austere scent. It has hints on incense on a woody framework. There is a good basil-herbal aromatic opening which goes well with the lemon and citrus opening. Wood makes an appearance almost immediately, before the incense. Then there is heady myrrh with chamomile blossom and spicy-green pimento leaf. This is followed by a green, pine-y frankincense with a hint of dry herbal lavender. The wood reappears, mostly sandalwood. The dry-down is cool and airy, it suggests smoke and the old stones of a cathedral. As I said, this is an austere scent, and I appreciate that. It is exotic but not heavy, not the usual rich oriental style. It suits me very well. (revised from my earlier review)
    Update -- dry (very dry), dusty and dusky... yet completely appealing. I really noticed the lavender this time, it combines very well with the frankincense. Nice woody dry-down.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 January, 2013)

Mazzolari Mazzolari by Mazzolari

Fragrance notes, citrus and green notes (probably galbanum and clary sage), spices (perhaps some combination of cloves, nutmeg, coriander and black pepper), vetiver, sandalwood. I also am convinced that there is oakmoss and patchouli here.

The juice is quite golden in colour. The opening is somewhat green, very peppery, and fairly powerful. It is old-school in a powerful, assertive way. Perhaps we see a hint of rosemary or mint, but I find no coniferous notes here. A bittersweet, tangy, dusky note emerges and takes over. Leafy, hay-like, even a bit sour or brackish. Rather brusque in character. I have downgraded and revised my earlier review. I find this (a) not as green as I'd like and (b) somewhat tiresome and leathery (in a mossy/patchouli way). Not quite my cup of tea, despite its greenish aspects.

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2011)

Royal Green by Seve Ballesteros

Fragrance notes: citrus, lavender, wood, spices.
    The fragrance notes suggest exactly what is here: this is a simple, light, refreshing scent. There are green notes which are herbal, grassy, perhaps with a bit of mint or rosemary for freshness. Like morning sun on a dewy putting green -- HAH! Nothing profound or complex here, didn't expect that. It smells like a competent, pleasant, budget green scent. For collectors of green scents, but don't bust your "balls" to get it. A lot like Greenergy. A bit of sweetness, perhaps from a touch of patchouli.

Forbes of Forbes by Castle Forbes

Top: orange, mandarin
    Mid: basil, oakmoss, pine
    Base: clove, patchouli, amber, vanilla
    I like forest, pine, herbal and mossy scents... they are my favorite elements. I didn't find this to be any of those. Quite a tepid opening, and an excruciatingly bad dry-down of amber and vanilla. Yuck.

Keig by Castle Forbes

Top: lemon, lime, mandarin
    Mid: sandalwood, cedarwood
    Base: musk, amber
    Unappealing. Not much citrus or wood. An odd pongy scent.

1445 by Castle Forbes

Top: petitgrain, lemon
    Mid: tarragon, lavender
    Base: vetiver, clove, patchouli
    I was expecting an interesting chypre. All I found was a very citrusy dry opening. and an unpleasantly heavy patchouli-clove drydown.

Eau de Quinine by Geo F Trumper

revised review -- please replace previous

Notes: rosemary, herbs and bitters, bergamot, quinine
    The scent starts off in an interesting way. It is different from most scents which I’ve encountered, and it is cool and bracing. Very quickly however a sweetish and very powdery note appears. Baby powder in a plastic canister. I’d like to see more of the alleged herbs and bitters, more of the tonic notes of rosemary and quinine, and NONE of that wretched powder!

08 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2010)

Lavender Water by Geo F Trumper

A bracing blast of lavender and mint! I find this to be very good lavender: dry and aromatic. The scent develops well into a nice sandalwood, light patchouli and mossy base. This has the trademark Geo. F. style. It is quietly bold and assertive; masculine, aromatic and quite enjoyable.

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Trussardi Uomo is big, spicy, complex, and dark. A spicy-leathery 80’s warhorse, though more refined and classy than scents like Azzaro or Aramis. It is rich and it certainly has the potential to be heavy if not applied lightly. The drydown is a bit powdery and sweet, but it has a lovely spicy and venerable quality. Not my cup of tea, but I respect it.

Skye by Geo F Trumper

I don't see this as being at all in the solid, trademark Victorian style of Geo. F. Trumper. It seems like an accomodation, and a rather pallid one, to currently-modern tastes for synthetic/marine/fresh scents. I don't care for it. A rare disappointment from the excellent House of Trumper.

Trussardi by Trussardi

Fragrance notes: orange blossom, rose, sandalwood, patchouli.
    This is classified as a woman's scent, but in my ignorance I purchased a bottle at a discount store. The very cool white flask evoked a Jay Gatsby vibe. And in the end, I don't regret the purchase. After all, the two reviews so far are from a male perspective. This is an interesting scent. It only has a few elements in common with Trussardi Uomo and in my opinion is only somewhat like it. Trussardi White (as I call it) has a sharp, tangy, antiseptic-medicinal note that appeals to me once in a while. A peppery spice, a rubbery tang, a perky-edgy note... whatever it is, it is oddly compelling. The mood is somewhat like Arlington, another perky-aromatic scent. The rose and neroli soften it a bit but not too much. Probably here we see the distinctive rendition of cedarwood and patchouli. It has good longevity. Smokey, a bit sweet (but not excessive), at times creamy and subtle and at other times sharp. Perhaps it is an acquired taste, but I appreciate it more with each wearing.

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Ho Hang... what a surprise! It is delightful. Easy to overlook this one. As others have said; it is a fresh, woody Oriental. The elements are very well blended and create a lovely accord. The only clearly distinguishable notes are citrus at the beginning and lovely cedarwood throughout. The vanilla is not a problem here (it usually is for me). This is not a rich or overly spicy scent; it is sprightly, invigorating and enjoyable. Excellent dry-down. I’d say HH is in the same mood-camp as Worth pour Homme or Jil Sander Man Pure (Original) & I like it!
    ** Just a brief update on this. Wore it today and it hit every comfort zone I have. Superb warm spicy scent without being heavy. Wears so well and satisfies throughout the day. Upgraded to a full 5 stars, a definite thumbs-up. again, very similar to Jil Sander but a worthy and more accessible scent. Namely that both are "discontinued" but Ho Hang is widely available in discount and mall outlets. Check it out -- it is very good.

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 February, 2014)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche pour Homme is a BIG scent. One squirt is enough for me. It is rich, potent, and lasts a long time. It starts with a spicy-mint lavender note, develops a woody-patchouli chord that verges on sweetness, then drys down into a classy and sensual blend. Women like it on a man. It has that old-school, barbershop assertiveness from its clove and patchouli. I appreciate it and enjoy it occasionally. It makes a statement!

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 March, 2011)

Private Collection - Corps et Âmes by Parfumerie Generale

This has a peppery, intriguing and subtle start. Geranium rose and other rose notes are spicy, floral, translucent, not sweet and quite interesting. Woody bright hints of oudh -- good. Vanilla is very restrained. This settles into a pleasant peppery-floral-wood scent that is light and breezy. (substantially revised)

05 April, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2010)