Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Orange Flower & Lychee by Kiehl's

Meh.
    very sweet and fruity. Tinned fruit cocktail. Rather syrupy.
    Where is the orange blossom?
    This is not a horrible scent but I have to say it has little to commend it.

24 October, 2012

Les Lilas by Florascent

This is a soft, perfume-y floral. It is a reasonable approximation of lilac flower -- which is a difficult scent to convey. The scent is lovely, sweet and feminine.

23 October, 2012

Nashi Blossom & Pink Grapefruit by Kiehl's

Notes: nashi (pear) blossom, pink grapefruit, mandarin orange, ginger, soy mil, white musk.

It starts with a very realistic and tasty-smelling chord of grapefruit and orange. These become softened by a light floral note and the merest hint of ginger spice. The scent settles into a creamy white musk which is a bit sweet and is certainly delicate and pretty. At times it suggests warm pears (faintly) and at other times a mildly woody note.

22 October, 2012

Vanilla & Cedarwood by Kiehl's

Well, here I am reviewing a dreaded vanilla scent.
    The things I do for Basenotes.
    It opens with a sweet vanilla note. No surprise here. The vanilla dominates. I can't detect anything else. Certainly no wood.
    A SA told me this is the most popular of the line. Obviously vanilla is a comfort scent for many people. Not me -- it is a discomfort scent.
    Eventually, the broad-shouldered and aggressive vanilla steps slightly back, and perhaps very, very faintly I can detect a silvery-earthy iris note.
    Still no wood. :/
    And still much too sweet.

22 October, 2012

Fan di Fendi pour Homme by Fendi

The card on the sample vial identifies "tangerine from Sicily" as the citrus and "cedarwood from Texas" as the wood.
    Sweet opening, quite sweet. Sugary. Some lemony citrus notes as well.
    Spices are more evident than the herbal notes.
    As the sweetness burns off, the wood notes start to appear. They are OK, nothing amazing and are not very woody.
    Don't get any leather but I'm not a fan of leather anyway.
    This is a decent scent, acceptable if you like things slightly on the sweet side.
    Seems generic to me, nothing special to stand out.

18 October, 2012

Touch of Blue by Wild Flowers

WHEW! Having tried "Touch of Pink" which is dreadful, this is a decent scent.

A simple herbal-vetiver, but not cloyingly sweet and with the satisfying cushiony aspect of an intelligent vetiver. This is OK. Fans of Mugler Cologne will see a clone here. So be it. Simpler, but OK.
    This is not a brilliant scent, but it is better than Pink and thus the thumb pointed skyward for a while.
    What moved the thumb sideways is the flat character and the sweet dry-down which is densely floral and relentlessly sachrine.
    A big let down in the final analysis.

17 October, 2012

Touch of Pink by Wild Flowers

Pretty, sweet, a young person's scent. Under 14 I'd say.
    Not floral -- more in the candy-berry fruity mode. Hyped-up strawberry.
    Very young in style, intensely sweet,
    Solid, dense. no layers.
    A lollipop.

17 October, 2012

Potion by Dsquared2

Interesting. Not my style (too sweet and heavy) but certainly interesting.
    Good wood notes appear almost immediately for me. Substantial spices with a pronounced sweet tone. Rose notes are here, but they are synthetic rather than natural in style -- and quite powerful. Vanilla-amber in the drydown. The whole thing reminds me of Penhaligon's LP No. 9 for men: a similar vibe.
    I'd never wear it. But it's ok if you like sweet spicy scents. And the wood is pretty good.

16 October, 2012

Fig Leaf & Sage by Kiehl's

Props to this for trying to be an interesting dry herbal scent.
    The citrus opening is very brief, really a lightening flash.
    The fig is very green, stalky-woody and also leafy. No creamy coconut here.
    Unfortunately, the fig and herbs quickly turned into "cooked celery leaves" on my skin. This note is powerful and not particularly attractive.
    Long-term dry down is ok, when the celery leaf burns off. A quiet thyme sort of herbal.
    Try it, it may work better on others.
    Amazingly powerful for this type of spritzy scent.

15 October, 2012

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

There sure are a lot of notes listed. Puffery, in my opinion. It is actually a very simple scent.
    It has a good citrus opening. Then it quickly moves to a very dry, cool, "airy" chord. Synthetic, a bit detergent-y -- reminds me of the scent when one opens a freezer door.
    The base has some frosty leather and patchouli notes.
    I can't work up any enthusiasm for this, nor disdain.

14 October, 2012

Oolong by Zents

Here's the notes on my sample card: lime blossom, lavender, petitgrain, oolong tea and green tea.
    Quite soft and sweet. Very feminine in style, also young.
    Smells like a bar of creamy floral soap. Pleasant.
    Don't get any tea notes.

14 October, 2012

Fig by Zents

Not what I expect from a scent labeled "fig". No green leafy notes, no coconut cousin notes verging on creamy.
    Instead, this is spicy with a warm jammy preserves opening. Quite Serge Lutens in style. Veers into a heavy musk and lipstick case scent. That I don't care for at all. Eventually it settles into a warm and somewhat pleasant scent.
    But it is not something I'd seek out.

13 October, 2012

Mandarin by Zents

A pleasant little scent, conveying mandarin orange in a realistic way. Very mild verging on innocuous. Aside from the merest hint of ginger, where are the spices? Missing in action. Such a wee little scent might suit a beginner perfumista, perhaps someone under 16.

11th October, 2012

Ore by Zents

This is a soapy-clean, simple (even innocuous) scent. It has very light violet notes. Delicate, slightly sweet, feminine in style. It gets a bit sweeter and heavier in the dry-down. Nothing special, nothing problematic.
    Looking at the base notes, I half expected a bay rum chord at some point. Nope, nowhere to be found.

10th October, 2012

Rume by Slumberhouse

Notes: bay leaf, myrrh, labdanum, clay, cola, filbert, hay.

The comparison to Serge Lutens is very true, this is definitely in that style (sweet, powerful, dried-fruit).
    The website has a fanciful description, "pralined fur laced in dark red spice" -- and that did not cause me to look forward to the trial in happy anticipation. :(
    It is very sweet, intensely sweet, aggressively sweet. It is like dried dates steeped in warm, spicy rum. That may sound attractive to some -- to me, not.
    There is a clay-mineral note behind the sweetness.
    Very quickly a coumarin note appears to suggest hay and cured tobacco.
    The scent gets more interesting as the uber-sweet blitz burns off.
    This becomes a very gentleman's club sort of scent: it evokes images of humidors, polished wood furniture, pipe tobacco, old leather books.
    Very powerful... and yet I don't find it to have longevity. Essentially done in an hour for me.
    Not my style, but more problematic for me was the relentlessly sweet opening.

04 October, 2012

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

Head Notes: Nectarine and Green Foliage
    Heart Notes: Green Apple, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine Tea, Violet and Vanilla
    Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber and Vanilla

Very, very sweet. Smells like a makeup case. Powdery. Very feminine in style.
    Seems a bit old-fashioned or old-school, like something someone's auntie might wear.
    Pleasant for its style.

03 October, 2012

Encounter by Calvin Klein

It's new, and it's bad.
    Not good-bad, bad-bad.
    Intensely sweet. Drugstore cheapo. Wretched attempt at spices. Boozy notes are ghastly. Wood notes are non-existent. Cloying, heavy, clumsy. Musk is overdone.
    Can't see any redeeming features here.

03 October, 2012

L'Hommage à L'Homme by Lalique

Notes: wood, oud, saffron, chili pepper

The bottle is classy -- a replica of an Art Deco Lalique bottle.
    The scent is nice. The saffron and pepper give a dusky-dry quality which balances the sweeter oud and wood notes. The scent starts off very subtle, with a kind of white-shirt note. Quickly it gets bigger, as the oud and saffron assert themselves more. I'd say be careful and don't over-apply this, it will grow.
    I don't get any violets or tobacco leaf. I'd argue that the piercing note is pepper rather than violet, and the dusky note is indeed due to the saffron. But I can see how this combo could suggest those sort of notes.

02 October, 2012

Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Notes: petitgrain, neroli, bergamot, herbs, spices, musk, vetiver.
    I'm underwhelmed with this. Admittedly, it is in the EdC style which should simply be citrus and herbs with an anchoring base. Everything here is competent and pleasant, but in my opinion nothing is outstanding -- which I'd expect in the Exclusifs line.
    The scent starts with good orange blossom notes. It is round, smooth, and not as crisp or vibrant as some EdCs I've tried. A larger application yields some lemon notes, but they are not really prominent for me. The scent is still very round, and now there is a touch of wood from the petitgrain. The herbal and spice notes are very faint, perhaps rosemary is the only one I could even begin to distinguish. The dry down has a modest vetiver note, and reminds me of a paler version of Sycomore.
    So, as noted above, this is pleasant but does not distinguish itself from other and more pleasing EdCs at a lesser price.

01st October, 2012

No. 18 by Chanel

Seems very similar to No. 28 -- a dry powdery iris, here with a touch of ambrette. Crisp, metallic. Arguably less interesting for some reason, seems to lack the depth of 28. More metallic than 28, not a selling point. Bit like pencil shavings (old cedar).

No. 22 by Chanel

I am speaking of the Les Exclusifs de Chanel version here.
    Very sweet and perfumey.
    An old-school sort of ladies' scent. Bold and assertive (and slightly fizzy due to the aldehydes) floral notes. Quite dense.
    The vanilla is strong but tempered well by an interesting incense note.
    That incense note moves this into my neutral zone -- otherwise it wouldn't appeal to me at all.
    Much too strong and weighty for me, even to enjoy on someone else. But that incense note is pretty good.

28 La Pausa by Chanel

Cool, silvery-white. Like crisp paper and moonlight, yet also has an earthy quality.
    The earthy note increases as the top notes burn off. Very classy and sophisticated.
    Develops a peppery note in the dry-down.
    Restrained, elegant, translucent yet has substance.
    Slight woody-vanilla note emerges, which adds complexity.
    Also something like celery leaves or anise -- a kind of haunting herbal note.
    Would be a great white-shirt scent for a guy.

Elie Saab Le Parfum by Elie Saab

Lovely powdery orange blossom. Pretty, very feminine in style. The honey adds a note of richness and depth without excessive sweetness.

Pear + Olive by Slumberhouse

Too sweet for me but it is OK as a scent.
    Quite fruity, like tinned fruit cocktail with a heavy emphasis of pears. The massoia bark brings a coconut note. Has a clean, soapy-shampoo drydown.

Ares by Lord's Jester

Notes: flowers, woods, greens, ambers, resins.

This ok. Not brilliant and for me not bottle-worthy. But ok.
    It starts fairly sweet and floral. When those notes settle down some resins and herbal notes emerge. These improve the scent considerably. It is powerful, and still fairly sweet. Woody notes appear, these are acceptable.
    The dry-down mellows and resolves the more aggressive notes, winding up in a herbal-resin scent.
    Acceptable.

Demeter by Lord's Jester

Here are the notes from the website: dark pine cones, spices, blossoms, hay and tobacco, resins, fruits and wine notes.
    It is meant to suggest a forest -- though Demeter was not the Greek goddess of the forest but rather the fields and grain (Roman equivalent was Ceres, the goddess of cereal grains).

When I see juice this orange-y, I get misgivings. I suspect a nose-blasting powerhouse. Be careful how you spray, quite certainly this would stain clothing.
    This has very spicy and hay-tobacco notes. It is quite sweet, at times with those sweet fruits-and-wine notes. It also is quite woody. When I read pine "cones" I thought that was a mistake, but now I agree that this scent has a woody-barky note like big ol' pine cones left in the sun. The intensely woody note suggests a wood shop more than a forest.
    Basically this is too sweet for me to endorse, it has too much hay-tobacco for me to even appreciate. Lots of sweet coumarin, probably from tonka. The final dry-down is very rich and honeyed, like clover honey. Some might like it, I don't.

Idylle by Guerlain

This is a very pretty, gentle, young-style floral. Lots of roses in a big bouquet.
    Sweet, but that's no surprise. Soft musk, romantic and young at heart.
    Attractive, feminine.

27 September, 2012

Jive by Jive Parfums

It is really hard to find any information on this. I got this as a sample, tossed in with a perfume I ordered online. It seems to be from a company based in Paris.

It is a fresh, somewhat green scent. Light crisp floral notes. Spring-like in character. Perhaps a hint of rose. Not heavy or cloying.

There's nothing wrong with this. Perhaps it is a bit generic but it's generally pleasant throughout. I suspect it is aimed at a young, female market.

26 September, 2012

Florabotanica by Balenciaga

This is a nice new scent. Forget the gender designation and marketing -- this is unisex.
    It is intended to be a "floral oriental" but I don't get any heavy, rich notes in the dry-down -- so the "oriental" descriptor is a bit of a misnomer.
    This is a nice floral -- dry, green, fresh. It is not sweet at all. The light mint and gentle clove note from the carnation give a zesty-dry quality to it. It conveys a clean, bright tone and a slightly soapy quality (in a pleasant way). The green notes keep wafting in and out. The scent is subtle but effective.
    The bottle is funky and the packaging is colourful.
    I like it.

26 September, 2012

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

I recognize that Jo Malone is a sorta layered fragrance thingy. But I think that it we cannot judge the scent on its own merits as a stand-alone then that is unsatisfactory.
    Blackberry and bay is an example of this problem. The elements individually here are good, and the combo is rather nice. But the scent is so weak and attenuated that it barely registers. It doesn't make a convincing impression.
    It has a crisp pink grapefruit opening which is accurate, very good, and arguably the strongest moment of the scent. In style it is crisp, refreshing, juicy and appealing.
    The other potentially interesting notes -- bay leaf, vetiver, cedar -- are SOOOOO weak that one has to douse liberally and even then the scent really barely registers. Believe me, I don't like powerhouse scents but c'mon... I like to have the scent register on radar.
    Very sheer, light, inoffensive.
    The scent has a pleasant, close-to-the-skin drydown of considerable longevity.
    There is nothing to offend here. Perhaps as a starter scent for the young set this would work. Like, under 12 years old. A cheery, innocent, wee little scent.

25 September, 2012