Reviews by odysseusm

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Grev by Slumberhouse

Now this is interesting. I'm quite acutely aware of cloves. In tiny doses they add a good barbershop note -- but I agree that they can be powerful and dominate a scent.
    That being said, "cloves" never entered my mind when I tried this scent. I agree that ultimately it gets too powerful and tiresome to suit me, but the reason for me (based on its reaction on my skin) has to do with the orris root rather than the spice.
    The scent starts with a great deal of promise. It is an aromatic green, and initially not as powerful nor dark as others in this house. It starts very herbal, with a strong note of mint and rosemary and also conifer. It develops a dusky and somewhat sweet note. This develops further into a very buttery, fairly sweet note, with leather, rooty, toasty, nutty, violet and floral notes -- in other words, the powdered orris root. This is a note I've never relished. The note gets sweeter and more powerful, dominating and ultimately squandering the herbal goodwill I've had up to this point. It does not wear well, it gets tiresome and irritating, and ultimately I wash it off.
    Promise in the short term, failure in the long term. :/

21st September, 2012

Jeke by Slumberhouse

Very woody, very intense. Extremely powerful, one little dot exudes clouds of scent for hours.
    Cade - birch - smoke in abundance. Conveys a very "men's club" atmosphere of leather, cigar humidore, rosewood-polished furniture. Extremely masculine in style. Fairly prominent coumarin-hay note in the dry-down.
    A little rich for my blood but I give it thumbs up for its swagger.

21st September, 2012

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

I think this is a nice fig scent.
    It starts with good citrus notes, which quickly change to the peachy sort of notes typical of bergemot. These have good duration, and combine well with the leafy and stalky notes of fig. The scent is refreshing and pleasant, and green. Everything is in balance and it is not sweet. It wears well and has good longevity. Simple, clear, basic perhaps but well done.

16 September, 2012

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

Basically this is a fine scent. I have one small quibble with it, which I'll mention at the end.
    It starts with a very brief citrusy EdC opening. There are some herbal notes, and then a soapy quality which is pleasant. It quickly moves to a leathery note, which is the accent feature of the scent. This is meant to be a masculine version of the Acqua di Parma Colonia, so leather - wood - spice is ramped up. I'd say that a very very gentle leather note with hints of spice and fainter hints of wood is what is delivered. Everything is very mellow and gently subdued here, and it is quite charming in style.
    My one quibble is this. The scent isn't really an "intense" version of the classic Acqua di Parma Colonia. It is substantially different -- fine in its own right but different. It should be called Acqua di Parma pour Homme. The "Colonia" suggests something that isn't there.
    But aside from the nomenclature, this is a good scent. Very smooth and classy.

16 September, 2012

Norne by Slumberhouse

This could be my holy grail scent -- it is that good.
    The notes include pine needle, fir, hemlock, and some kind of lichen - fern - moss combo. The scent boasts of containing only "forest absolutes" with no EOs or synthetics. The style is designed to convey "incensed coniferous woody resins."
    Comparisons have been made to O'Driu, and I agree. Powerful, quirky, resolutely "green" -- both have those in spades. However, I'd say that at least Norne is more attractive, even beautiful, than anything I encountered in O'Driu.
    It starts with an incredible conifer note. It is so bracing, intense, tingling with energy. It is what I have seen as the Platonic ideal of conifer. The moss brings a coumarin/hay note which adds to the complexity. In style the scent is cool, brisk, lively -- exactly what I've been looking for. This is for green fans and it is boldly herbal -- like mint at times, or eucalyptus, or henna paste. Woody notes like rough bark emerge, yet the scent remains very, very green. The scent is NOT mainstream at all: it is powerful, quirky, distinctive and quite charming. You can tell this is constructed from absolutes -- it conveys the highest quality and seems utterly natural. The highest commendation.

15 September, 2012

Rosissimo by Les Parfums de Rosine

I've tried a few scents in the Rosine line, and up to this point did not care for any of them. This one changes my opinion. I think it is quite nice.
    It starts with very good citrus notes. These soften into a gentle white floral note, which quickly deepens into a pleasant rose note. The rose is authentic but not heady-sweet, quite suitable for a scent aimed at the male market. A soapy-clean sort of note develops, along with a light leathery note. These are all pleasant.
    This is not a stunning scent, but it is quite attractive and works well on my skin.

14 September, 2012

Blu II by Bulgari

This is OK. Not my style, but OK.
    The violet is not intense and piercing, rather it is muted and silvery. The licorice-anise adds a nice aspect. The scent is not too sweet. As others have noted, it gets a bit watery and aquatic in the drydown, but it is not synthetic or ozonic. Attractive in a moonlight, ghostly sort of way.

13 September, 2012

Linda Allard by Ellen Tracy

My sample says EdP.
    Intensely sweet. The vanilla note obliterates all else. I don't get any fruit or florals in any way, shape or form. But I do get a vanilla-soaked sugar cube.

13 September, 2012

Summer Essence by David Yurman

It's a pleasant sort of scent. Not really "purple" (i.e. berry)-smelling in my opinion.
    The fruits smell crisp and more of citrus than the ones listed.
    The florals are not particularly sweet.
    The drydown has a very mild musk, suggesting an aquatic-watery sort of scent.

12 September, 2012

Theseus by Lorenzo Villoresi

Adjectives to describe Theseus: aromatic, dusky, resinous, herbal, powerful, dry, green. This is a great scent -- it is a fascinating blend of some cool (almost minty) notes with warm herbal notes. It smells great, is well-balanced and very satisfying to wear. Recommended for green lovers. The dry-down brings out some classy spices.

Oliban / Grisens by Phaedon

Notes: natural incense from Awajii (Japanese island), sandalwood

This is a lovely woody incense scent. Quite dry, with strong woody-bark notes. There is also something unusual going on -- at times it is a bit metallic, other times creamy, other times toasty/nutty. The only thing I can compare it to is ghee (Indian clarified butter). There are some smoky notes, and the scent settles into a dignified sandalwood.

Exotic Essence by David Yurman

This is soooooo sweet, floral and gourmand.
    Rich and heavy. Oddly, the patchouli and vanilla aren't the problems I thought they'd be. Rather, it is the musk and some other notes which are the obstacle.
    I think the "peach skin" note is a disaster. Smells metallic, cloying and quite unpleasant.
    And the amber has the usual rich, buttery, treacly note which I dislike.
    I don't see any "exotic woods" -- whatever those might be, nor sandalwood, nor wood notes of any kind.

Fresh Essence by David Yurman

Quite sweet for a "fresh" scent, a little too much so in my opinion.
    Fairly fruity at first, then sort of a watery/pond impression.
    Nothing distinctive here. Not a terrible scent, but not anything of interest either.

Boss The Collection: Wool Musk by Hugo Boss

The cinnamon is restrained -- not a strong element. Definitely spicy but not heavy.
    A bit sweet but not problematic. The musk is light too. At times there was an interesting herbal-earthy note but it wasn't significant enough or lasting enough to rate any praise.
    Not bad, no problems, just not my style.

Boss The Collection: Cashmere Patchouli by Hugo Boss

I'm giving a patchouli scent a thumbs-up! Normally I don't like that note. Here's why I'm appreciating this one.
    This scent reminds me of an old-school fougere: ferny, coumarin, soapy, a bit earthy.
    The patchouli here is not heavy and has a charming herbal-minty quality along with nice damp-earth notes.
    I think this is definitely worth checking out, even if you don't normally try patchouli.

Delicate Essence by David Yurman

A watery floral, quite pretty. Green floral notes at first (probably the lotus blossom). These combine with a peppery bit of spice. The rose is very quick to appear. The juice is pink and the scent suggests a feminine, pink character. Not something I'd wear but it is attractive. Not heavy, not overly sweet, not tiresome in its floral presentation.

Eau de Fleurs de Néroli by Chloé

This is a charming neroli scent. It isn't complex, leads with orange blossom and pretty much stays there. Nice, simple, youthful, innocent, delicate, translucent. Not sweet. Unisex, definitely unisex. A guy easily could wear and enjoy this. Orange blossom with a hint of green and some bit of wood in the dry-down.

Eau Sauvage Parfum by Christian Dior

No. This won't do, won't do at all.
    As others have noted, to call something xx Parfum should suggest a more intense or long-lived version of xx. This is different than a flanker, and goodness knows Eau Sauvage has icy and leather versions of flankers. But at least one suspects something rather different than the original.
    Eau Sauvage Parfum is completely different from the classic and still delightful Eau Sauvage. Thus, this new name is misleading to the consumer.
    This scent starts with a very aromatic citrus note -- to me it smells like a chemical version of lime. Very bold, synthetic, at times like a lime Lifesaver candy and at times like a citrus-scented cleaner.
    The myrrh REALLY bulks things up in comparison with the original ES. This is a very dense and weighty scent. Here, the myrhh gives a sweet, perfumey and soapy character to the middle.
    The vetiver is not well done, in my opinion. Sometimes it suggests almond paste (marzipan), other times root beer soda.
    The scent becomes so sweet and balsamic that I eventually had to scrub it.
    Eau Sauvage was one of my earliest scents, and I still love it. This is absolutely nothing like it, nor it is good in its own right.

08 September, 2012

Full Incense by Montale

Stylistically, this is very similar to Heeley Cardinal, as has been noted. Arguably this is a bit rounder but the distinction between the two is subtle. I'm not sure I can make a case for owning both, but one or the other is essential for incense lovers.
    It has a bright, fairly green opening, perhaps with a touch of conifer -- probably frankincense at work. The scent is well-balanced and does not ever develop a tiresome patchouli twang. There are some satisfying wood notes. The scent is quite powerful at first -- do not over-apply! It also has excellent longevity.

08 September, 2012

Au Lac by Eau d'Italie

It starts with excellent citrus notes, very zesty. It then opens into a lovely rose note, with some woody/bark notes (probably from the fig leaves) as a frame. At first, the scent is not particularly sweet. It is a dry floral, and thus quite unisex in style. As the floral notes deepen and develop, the rose becomes more prominent and the scent becomes a bit richer and sweeter. The florals become complex, more than a simple rose note. The papyrus gives a stalky-green aspect with is interesting.
    It is not my style, but it is a fine scent.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

Like a few others, I feel this is an improvement on Guerlain Homme.
    It is woodier than the original, smoother and has less citrus. The wood and vetiver are fairly powerful and have good longevity. Unfortunately, at times they also have a somewhat metallic character which keeps me from being more enthusiastic about the scent.

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

I'm disappointed in this scent -- it is not really a "green" scent, in the way I think of green (dark, powerful, suggesting leaves/sap/trees). Thus, I think the title is misleading.
    Yet, I'll give it a "neutral" rating, in the face of fairly uniform reviewer dislikes so far. Here's why.
    I admire two things. First, the designer has created something DIFFERENT and arguably new. It does not smell like anything I've encountered. Associated with that is that the smell is not unpleasant or wierd, at least not in my opinion.
    Second, the scent has a rare dynamic in that it presents a kaleidoscope or moire impression -- a shifting and recurring series of notes which appear early and continue to present themselves. That is unusual in a fragrance.
    The scent starts with a very dewy and slightly sweet opening which is vaguely green-ish. There is a fruity note, which sometimes suggests strawberry leaves and other times a peach-apricot combination. A sort of grassy note weaves in and out -- mild, not powerful. A very prominent note is something unusual and hard to describe. Sometimes it is toasted and slightly nutty, other times it is slightly musty like old books or old cardboard boxes, other times it is like flinty stones or gunpowder. This is the signature feature of the scent.
    These various elements dance around playfully. If the scent resolved into a dry, smokey and mineral centre it would be satisfying; but it promises but never lands there. The recurring sweetness keeps me from fully endorsing it. Yet, I think it is an intriguing scent and I'm glad to have tried it.
    But again -- not very green!

Corallium by Carthusia

I'm disappointed in this scent. Citrus, herbs, incense, wood... should be nice, maybe even a garrigue (herbal breeze over dusty fields) sort of smell.
    My main objection is that this is a sweet and rather heavy scent. The myrhh has a sweet and soapy character, and when this combines with a substantial dose of patchouli and musk, we get something very round and dense.
    Herbs are few and faint. Woods briefly make an appearance but they get overwhelmed.
    I had to wash it off after about a half-hour. If you like a sweet, dense soapy myrrh-patchouli combo then it might suit you. I like something drier and more translucent.

Eau de Prep by Tommy Hilfiger

When I see citrus, tonic water and juniper berry, I naturally expect a gin-and-tonic sort of scent. This tries but isn't quite that.
    The citrus opening is reasonably good, though a bit sweet. The scent is bright and fresh, yet at the same time has a sort of dusky-synthetic herbal aspect (the so-called "green notes" in the middle).
    The scent is smooth overall, and the base becomes a bit sweet again as it picks up the amber and suede notes.
    A sporty sort of scent that really plays it safe and tries to hit a lot of bases -- and thus is not very interesting or distinctive.
    Nothing to offend, though.

03 September, 2012

Gucci Flora by Gucci

VERY sweet. Syrupy and irritating.
    Hint of vanilla.
    Cloying, dense, unpleasant.
    Smells like sugar cube with floral syrup poured over it.
    Shallow, unattractive.

03 September, 2012

Armani Code Sport by Giorgio Armani

Citrus - ok
    Then it gets a bit synthetic. Like laundry detergent or a freshly-ironed shirt.
    A cool and rather soul-less scent. Can't find anything attractive or to recommend here.

02 September, 2012

Wild Bluebell by Jo Malone

I also noticed the cantaloupe opening, and I think it is kinda oddball in a floral scent.
    Thankfully, it quickly burns off. We are left with a soft, gentle floral. Lily of the valley sorts of notes are the core. A tiny bit sweet but not problematic. A young, innocent sort of smell. Not heavy or cloying.

01st September, 2012

JB by Jack Black

Starts off slightly sweet, with some fruity and minty notes. It's kind of generic smelling at this point. Nothing wrong with it, but its not particularly distinctive. There is a vague hint of smoke and wood which is nice. The dry-down has a tiny bit of amber-vanilla (but not problematic).
    I'll give it a mild thumbs-up overall, for being a decent, fresh-smelling scent. No one will be offended by this.

01st September, 2012

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie

I'll give it a mild thumbs-up.
    For me, it has two phases. The first one is quite good. It evokes a sunny field, through notes of hay and green herbs. The scent is not at all sweet and in fact I never get any floral notes. Here, it is arguably a masculine-oriented scent.
    The second phase is a translucent, watery style. Perhaps a pond in a sunny meadow -- but not terribly interesting, not much distinctive character here. As the scent loses any herbal or grassy notes, the bottom drops out and there's very little left. An airy, slightly soapy scent -- that's it.
    But on the strength of phase 1, the thumb will keep pointing skyward.

29 August, 2012

Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain

Very sweet and dense. Smells like lemon poundcake. Really good lemon poundcake. Makes me want a nice cup of tea.

29 August, 2012