Reviews by ekroyee

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Oh, this isn't going to sound like a ringing endorsement, but in a way it is...First has always been the "go-to" perfume for me when I can't decide on what perfume I want to wear. If I want to wear a really nice scent that smells good on me no matter the weather, or my mood, and if you want something that is elegant with a reserved drydown, and not one of those overblown everything-but-the-kitchen-sink florals, this is it.

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

Where I grew up, we had lily-of-the-valley flowers bloom every spring. This reminds me of their crisp green stems, the delicate white flowers, and the cool damp earth that they like to grow in. A scent for spring or summer, especially hot weather, as it isn't a heavy or cloying floral. I have the EDT, and wish it would last longer.

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

Was I beset with doubt when I ponied up the cash for my HUGE bottle of FDTRB? Oh yes I was! Do I love love love this, the purest distillation of a rose scent ever, one that actually lasts when it's applied? Oh yes I do! Am I transported each time I catch a whiff of this to a stand of summer roses on Cape Cod in the late morning? Indeedy, I am! Do I wonder how Creed has managed to capture the spicy scent of the rose leaves as well as the flower's heart without it being cloying? Errr...about as much as I wonder how I never grow bored with it... Was it money well spent? Every single penny! Seriously, folks? It's a LOT of perfume--if you like it, buy it, decant small quantities of it to use, & carefully store the rest. Or go splitsies with a friend or three-you won't be sorry! (It also layers beautifully with lots of other things.)