Reviews by CoL

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Intenso by Dolce & Gabbana

This was a huuuuuuge surprise! P&G have managed to create a niche quality, very surprising fragrance. This is very different but not in a jarring way and it lives up to it's name, this is intense and even I apply it lightly! I think they have actually managed to source and use good quality and natural content. Extract of BRAN?! Now that's a new one. Wonder if inhaling it has the same action as eating it? lol
13th August, 2016

CH Men Sport by Carolina Herrera

This drys down to something very similar to Terre D'Hermes. Very dry vetiver with pepper. Surprising to see how this bombed given the success TD'H and this predates it.
11th August, 2016

Zen for Men by Shiseido

I am completely confused about all the negative comments on this fragrance! I really don't get anything synthetic, I smelled a skillfully blended unusual aromatic/citric/bitter/sweet wow of a fragrance! I have over 2000 so I have a very busy nose and I'm not a fan of overly synthetic fragrances as it's very rare that they are pulled off well. Mugler could do it (now that he's handed over control I doubt this will continue). Big thumbs up here!
09th August, 2016

Drakkar Essence by Guy Laroche

Again I seem to love the underdog! I love this stuff! Fresh and zesty that actually manages to project and last. Yup, not much development, yup pretty simple stuff but it's uplifting, clean, great for hot weather and projects really well for such a light fragrance. After about 30mins-1hour there is a slight reminder of Drakkar Noir, more of a wink really.
09th August, 2016

John Varvatos STAR USA by John Varvatos

I don't understand all the negativity towards this fragrance, it's a really nice woody aromatic with a touch of sweetness in the base. Subtle and elegant with an almost sherbertiness about it. Still wearing it to discover more but this is a real winner in my books!
07th August, 2016

Fan di Fendi pour Homme by Fendi

Only had this for a few hours and I am really loving this! Great quality, beautifully blended and develops so well! I was expecting this to be much sweeter with the comparison to Spicebomb. On me there is only a slight resemblance to this but it does have sweetness, not OTT cloying sweetness, it starts to reveal itself as the fragrance develops. I think this is discontinued because the general market wouldn't really get it but fragrance overs will usually give a new fragrance time and not make snap judgements. Give it a try before it disappears! I've bought 3 of the 'Giant Edition's' as I don't want to run out of it!
05th August, 2016

Benetton Rosso by Benetton

It's a pity this has been discontinued as it really is a lovely fragrance. Remember, you can expect silk when you buy polyester so keeping this in mind this is very nice for the price. It's one of very few fragrances I have tried that manages to keep vanilla as the top note. It's warm and subtle with mild to moderate sillage. Moderate lasting power too but a very nice 'everyday' or 'casual' fragrance to wear just for the fun of it. This is bargain beauty and for some reason vaguely reminds me of Samsara!
16th July, 2016

Éclat d'Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Well this was a surprise! Seems Lanvin have gained access to either the caviar note in Womanity or have found another very like it. This to my nose is what Womanity for men would smell like. Basically imagine Womanity with the generic/aquatic/mild light woodsy masculine notes that seems to be in most designer fragrances at the moment. It's very well done and quite a change from the norm. These are my thoughts from wearing it for the day, I wonder how it will progress?
01st October, 2015 (last edited: 01st November, 2015)

Fleur d'Osmanthus by Roger & Gallet

This is wonderful! Snappy burst of citrus with a floral undertone moving on to that smooth excited cologne note that R&G do so well. Aromatic but not in a herbaceous way more in a citric/floral/fruity way. With all this talk of citrus I should point out they are muted citrus, no heartburn inducing acids here! Also with all this talk of floral this is not the kind of floral that brings to mind teenage girls dancing through sunny wheat fields wearing daisy chain headbands, again muted. One mutes the other. Wonderful stuff, quality, smooth, summery fun!

It's not just another citrus, it has the tartness normally found in citric fragrances tempered with an oriental base (tonka). It still has a fresh scent but it's a fresh scent with a cosiness to it. It's gentle, comforting and uplifting. I really feel that after applying it's like having warm fresh hug! Smooth, gentle, understated and very natural smelling due to a high natural oil content. The other products in the line are also fantastic.

This is also a very safe scent for men and women. Safe as in easily wearable to the office, after the gym, going out for lunch and on warm summer evenings. Almost impossible to over apply and I cannot imagine even the sensitive noses being offended by this as it's so natural and subdued.

WONDERFUL STUFF!
10th August, 2015 (last edited: 18th September, 2015)

Green Tea Tropical by Elizabeth Arden

The name says it all really. A simple fresh tropical summer fragrance. It won't fragrance of the universe, it won't get an award for most complex but it does what it says and it does it well. A nice quality fruity summer fragrances with notes of green tea sneaking in there now and then but certainly very much in the background. Fun, fresh and invigorating!
06th August, 2015

Green Tea Lavender by Elizabeth Arden

I agree with Scent-e-mental, this is leaning toward the masculine side. It's a simple uncomplicated fragrance which has a soothing calming affect on my mood. I have been spraying it on my bedding and pillows and I have slept so much better! It starts off with a strong blast of lavender but this top note settles quite quickly and then the familiar green tea starts making its presence known. Great for the office, great to help you relax and sleep better. Well worth a try, even if you don't love the fragrance, using it as a bedding spray is really very pleasant and relaxing.
27th July, 2015 (last edited: 26th July, 2015)

Only The Brave Wild by Diesel

I like all of the OTB range and this one is no exception! It's really rather lovely.It's a mid-weight woody fragrance with a touch of spice and a dollop of green coconut. Not overly sweet sickly and synthetic, actually really wearable and different too. Very pleased indeed!
25th July, 2015

Reaction T-Shirt by Kenneth Cole

Here we go again with another clone! Well, in fairness it's counterpart Eau De Cartier Zeste De Soleil was released after this. This is a very pleasant long lasting tropical fruit punch with some clean cotton in the background. Projects well and lasts too. Much niceness for a warm summer day or evening even.
18th July, 2015

Reveal Men by Calvin Klein

*****UPDATE - July 2016******
After many more wearings it has become apparent to me that this does have a lot in common with Avant Garde but it's only really in the drydown. I think this has the same new aroma molecule which I also detect in CK One Shock for men. It's a warm sweet milky coffee scent that I really like! I'm not usually a fan of synthetic molecules but some of the more abstract ones can be rather interesting.

This is now available in a 200ml bottle so ordered one as this is going to become a regular of mine!

*****Original review*****

This is almost an exact copy of Lanvin's Avant Garde for men. Very nice, pleasant warm gourmand fragrance with a bright start quickly moving into a caramel coffee note. Not exactly original but certainly of much higher quality than I usually expect from CK. Maybe this is because Reveal is being touted as their new 'pillar' fragrance so expect 55 summer/time of day/light/dark and back to front versions soon. Come on Coty, produce something original to this standard!
17th July, 2015 (last edited: 16th July, 2016)

Uomo Essenza di Capri by Pal Zileri

I got this for a silly price but the reviews made me take the little chance. At first spray I thought to myself 'yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. This has only been done 2500 times before' yet 10 mins later it dries down to a very lovely aquatic! A surprisingly lovely aquatic given the price. Subtle, gentle aquatic with a fruity edge. No one could find this offensive so suitable for the office too. A surprise blind buy, glad I got it in the sale now!
27th June, 2015

Sol da Bahia Eau d'Été by Lancaster

This is an odd one! Exceptionally green summer/tropical fragrance. Brief citric opening followed by the greenest of green coconuts you could ever imagine. At first I was a bit overwhelmed at its originality but it has quickly grown on me. Amazing lasting power and safe to wear in the sun.#

Currently (June 2015) less than £10 for a 100ml bottle from fragrance direct. Also has the matching lotion for less than £3 too!

Interesting stuff!
20th June, 2015

Bleu Végétal by Yves Rocher

Fresh in from Yves Rocher, the perfumer is Annick Menardo!

As always Yves Rocher never fail to impress. This is a beautiful summery scent with watery fruits and a gentle haze of jasmine flowers settling on top. Such obvious high quality and natural content is certainly not reflected in the unbelievable price for this fragrance.

YR's summer limited editions are always beautiful, natural and very high quality for 1/5th (with special offers) of the price of designer summer scents. I feel these run almost in parallel with the CK One summer editions and are equally unisex in my opinion. The differences being Yves Rocher's scents are of much higher quality and much lower price. I don't know how they manage to produce such scents for the price. Incredible value and at a price you can take a gamble with and buy 'blind'. I've never been disappointed!
06th June, 2015 (last edited: 18th June, 2015)

Tommy Neon Brights by Tommy Hilfiger

This accidentally fell into my virtual shopping basket as it was less than 1/2 price and another £5 off. As always Lauder have produced a beautiful light peppery fragrance with a hint of ginger that instantly gives the impression of warm summer holidays. Very nice and will be a staple in my summer rotation for sure!

Just realised what it reminds me of, Chanel Allure Homme Blanche. Lovely stuff!
21st May, 2015

Black Fleece for Women by Brooks Brothers

I was just thinking the same thing as Fleurine, a lovely abstract amber/incense! Nicely done, lost lasting and a fair amount of projection. Odd and very 'niche'. The kind of fragrance you can just about guarantee no one else in the room will be wearing.
25th December, 2014

Explosions d'Emotions : Déliria by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Now this is some odd stuff! It smells like the candy floss machine over heated due to a toffee apple falling in!

I wasn't sure at first if I liked it as on first application it's so sweet it can be a little over the top. Give it 5 mins and it settles into a crip clean apple mixed with candyfloss. Beautifully unusual. I was lucky enough to stumble across it on TK Maxx.com reduced from £135 to £29:99. I bought it blind, well I bought 2 blind as I have come to adore sweet fragrances and I do love something a little different.

Not a good idea to buy blind at full price as this is a love or hate. Along the lines of Angel but bears little resemblance, more in a similar style.

Addictive, unusual, lasting and projects well.
03rd December, 2014

Wild by Dsquared2

So far, extremely boring and weak. If this was a voice it would whisper monotonous drivel. I was expecting something in the same league as Potion (spectacular fragrance) yet twas not to be. :(
27th October, 2014 (last edited: 26th October, 2014)

Rogue by Rihanna

Wow this is a potent blend. A bit of a throw back to Gucci Envy with a little more of a warm fruity vibe.

Obviously synthetic but it's supposed to be if that makes sense! As usual Parlux have produced an excellent quality fragrance at a reasonable price.

This is one to try first as it lasts forever and projects a mile!
19th October, 2014

Eau de Gaga by Lady Gaga

I love this. Simple and refined, easily unisex. As mentioned already, the bottle and packaging do not reflect the fragrance which is a limey delight with light undertones of leather and a hint of white violet. Hard to dislike as it is so inoffensive. It settles down to a gentle citrus with a light floral hint and suggestion of leather. I love this, I love her and most importantly, I LOVE lime!
23rd September, 2014 (last edited: 02nd May, 2015)

Neroli by Yves Rocher

As usual Yves Rocher's scents are of a very high quality, much higher than the 'average' designer.

It's not easy to make an interesting neroli as it is very fresh and citrusy. What does make this stand out is the indolic orange blossom. It's walking a fine line but it does drift in and out of fresh yet sensual teetering on the edge of 'dirty'! Certainly not what I expected from a neroli but it's an excellent price and quality.

01st August, 2014 (last edited: 09th June, 2015)

Dalimix Black by Salvador Dali

Very simply put this version of Dalimix is almost identical to the discontinued Dalimania. It's slightly dryer but this still works and gives it that unisex edge to counterbalance the sweetness of it. It's getting harder and harder to find in the UK, even on eBay! Cofinluxe who make Dali fragrances informed me that they do not have a UK market so grab this whilst it's still available on eBay for £18.99 delivered for a 100ml! :D
28th July, 2014

Eau de Cartier : Goutte de Rose by Cartier

This is exactly as described, original Eau De Cartier with an added fizzy fun playful rose. The rose is not a powdery old fashioned rose, it's more a rose that's leaning towards the raspberry end of scale if that makes any sense! Very nice indeed. I say this is unisex I'm not sure with rose cannot be worn by a man nor do I think it pushes the original over the edge to feminine. If you don't like rose changes you won't like this as the rose is prevalent from top to bottom notes in this fragrance. Lovely natural smelling fun light fragrance.

I do like Cartier's ltd ed variation on the original. Always lovely quality from Cartier. So many other houses fragrances smell like fabric softener!
24th June, 2014 (last edited: 26th June, 2014)

Déclaration L'Eau by Cartier

Loving this invigorating fragrance! Loosely based on the original and it smells like Jean-Claude Ellena has reworked it. All I can think about when I smell this is Hermes aka JCE. Highly recommended!
24th June, 2014

Perfume Calligraphy Rose by Aramis

Real quality!
This is a beautiful oud/rose fragrance and the balance is just right, neither overwhelm each other instead they compliment each other perfectly. The rose is blended in such a way that it each very much a unisex scent. It is potent most likely the oud. This obviously is made from very good quality ingredients and I do believe there is a strong natural presence. This is more an evening and/or for cooler weather as in the heat this could become cloying.

At time of writing this is less than half price at allbeauty.com formally Cheap Smells
15th May, 2014

Aqua Vitae by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Outstanding, just like just about everything Francis creates, this is wonderful! It is a relatively simple structure but balanced to perfection. It's like being surround by a transparent aura of a beautiful and very well made woody citrus. Utterly adore it!
25th March, 2014

cK one Red Edition for Him by Calvin Klein

I have to give Coty some credit, they actually appear to have listened to the hatred of very obviously synthetic fragrances. Don't get me wrong this is targeted at a young crowd who I don't think would care but this has a touch of class to it. Lovely pear opening son to mix with the subtle suede note. After a few hours there is a faint trace of vetiver to my nose and cannot smell the pepper at all.

It is most likely completely synthetic but at least it's done well. I wish they would do this in 200ml

I forgot to mention an important aspect of this fragrance, from top to bottom there is a sharp fig leaf underlining everything. It actually makes it that little bit more interesting!
07th March, 2014 (last edited: 08th March, 2014)