Reviews by Mitulove

Café Noir by Ava Luxe

Black coffee bean, Allspice Berries, Cardamom, French Lavender, Attar of Roses
Cedar, Patchouli, Vanilla, Mocha, Sandalwood, Siam Benzoin, Ambrette seeds

To me this wasn't sultry nights as described on the website, rather it was stopping in the early morning hours at a roadside cafe off a dusty highway. It's brilliantly evocative, and I might buy a bottle simply to ward off the urge I now have to move back to the States and go on road trips..
05th February, 2007

Sunday Girl by Ava Luxe

champagne, pomegranate, white peony, rose

This smells as though there are many more flowers in it, or at least *a lot* of rose. It smells like the soaps my grandmother used to keep in her bathrooms and on dressing tables. Evocative, but not something I'd care to smell like.
05th February, 2007

Beautiful Love by Estée Lauder

I was really hoping this would be lovely, but it's a rather 'eh' older woman seeming fragrance to me. I love the original Beautiful and hoped that the carnation, whipped cream, and tonka bean would make it smoother but alas, it's sort of a slap of flowers.
27th January, 2007

Colors de Benetton by Benetton

How funny, I wandered to this page because I remembered liking it in High School, and looking at the reviews, I certainly wasn't the only one. Similarly, it's not something I'd wear these days..
27th January, 2007

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

'Angel or Demon' is an apt name for this, I find! It starts out very sweet and lovely, but soon tranforms into something harsh enough that my nose burns a bit. I've never encountered a fragrance with such a split personality!
26th January, 2007

Dear John by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Lovingly created from traditional masculine notes of clove and cedarwood, Dear John is a comforting, soothing fragrance. Sharpened with the vibrancy of uplifting lime and mandarin this woody, musky scent has a wonderfully aromatic quality. Add to this a hint of just brewed coffee, spicy cassia and black pepper and it conjures feelings of security and trust in an instant. Musky and a little smoky too, its reassuring warmth will make the wearer incredibly huggable. I really want to like fragrances from this new sister company of Lush, but so far I'm having no luck. I smelled this from the bottle and tried it myself--it faded fast on my skin and hung around stinkily on the fabric of my shirt. My husband put it on, but it almost immediately disappeared on him as well *sigh*. From the description and from the bottle I had such high hopes.

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

I liked the idea behind the description of this scent: "It’s redolent of a very adult world; of glamorous parties, shimmering cocktail dresses and your mother on her way out to a special evening wearing her highest heels. How we longed to go too!" Unfortunately it immediately evoked an unpleasant memory association, one that doesn't even belong to me! The closest I can describe it is one of looking at a faded photograph of a middle class suburban mom from the 60s; yes she's got her pearls on, but she's also downing a couple valium whilst looking blankly at the hors d'oeuvres on the kidney bean-shaped coffee table. Not pleasant.

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

I'm fairly ambivalent about this. It has an initial fruity floral scent that settles to nothing special enough to make note of. It's very pleasant, but surely not intense.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

I've been hemming and hawing over this one, probably since it's launch when I would have smelled it in a magazine insert. Trying it seriously again now, I still think it's very pretty. Had I the presence of mind, I think this would have been a better choice when I was having my Halo by Victoria's Secret kick a few years ago. For the moment, this is slightly too harsh for me so I doubt it will become a regular favorite.

Dream Angels Halo by Victoria's Secret

Top notes: tiare flower, violet leaves, water hyacinth
Middle notes: freesia, jasmine flower
Low notes: sandalwood, warm amber, vanilla orchid..these are the notes according to the VS site, which don't quite match with above..hmm.

I used to adore this and wore it everyday, had the matching products, liberally dusted myself with the sparkly powder, etc. I was also living in the US at the time and spending too much money in general at VS, so.. I'll always have a soft spot for this because it's what I wore when I met my husband in London (and as such, wear it when the evening's activities need a push ;), but I don't think I'll ever wear it regularly again. I'm not sure why, it just seems to have an odd powdery finish that I'm not fond of.

Rush by Gucci

Apparently this didn't work for me like it did for most.. It opened with a sweetness, and something a bit like nail polish remover. Since this is apparently not a 'shy' scent, I was waiting for it to settle into something deeper. It went sort of 'eh' and had little longevity on my skin, though I still smell it on my clothes. It smells ok, just not special. The bottle leaves a lot to be desired, as it's more reminiscent of Lego than sultriness.

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

In junior high I got the 5-scent set, I think I can even remember them--baby soft, lemon, jasmine, gentle must, and rain! Baby soft was definitely the one my sister's and I used the most. Just so comforting, and even now, not having smelt it in years, it comes right back to mind. Ah..

Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle by Agent Provocateur

I give it a thumbs up because it made my husband grab at me. I agree with the above , that it settles much more pleasantly that it might seem initially. It does fade though, which is a pity: I can't be bothered with OCD spritzing of myself throughout the day.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

I really wanted to love this perfume because is so gorgeous, silly as that sounds. However, upon trying it I found it too sweet, and it was that sweetness that lingered on me. Ah well.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This smells like perversion, and not necessarily in a bad way. It is really unique, but as the majority of my trips out of the house are to the shops with my kids, perhaps not the fragrance for me ;).

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I agree that this is very Bath and Body Works. My 7-year-old daughter will love having the tester.

V by Valentino

I love this perfume, though I don't think it quite suits my personality. I think it's the musk. I love that it has fig, and the bottle is so lovely. It layers well with something a bit sweeter.

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

I was confused at the two different colours of bottles you can choose with the same name. Upon inspecting the givenchy website, I found that the pink is the original scent, a toilette, and the purple is a parfum and is the one associated with Liv Tyler. It is the latter that I own and I really love it, particular for layering. It pushes the limit of how much sweetness I can bear yet still finds itself in regular use.

Amarige by Givenchy

Very lingering, very unique. Unfortunately, it's also associated with a certain time in my life and I can't wear it anymore.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

This has been my daily scent on and off for a couple of years now. My husband likes it but has suggested that perhaps it's a bit heavy, or more suited to evening/going out (which of course led paranoid-me to look for a new daytime scent straightaway :P). I think it's just gorgeous, and I can't wait until they release Love in the UK.