Reviews

Reviews by karlamagne

Les Déserts d'Orient - Songe d'un Bois d'Été by Guerlain

I have a humorous story associated with this fragrance. I was at a conference in Las Vegas this past April and there was a Guerlain shop in the complex near the Venetian Hotel. I wore Shalimar in college, but haven't worn Guerlain since then (I tend toward L'Artisan http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122469.html and Etro http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121087.html), but I thought I'd stop in and see what they had. I was drawn to the bottle for Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and the associate filled up a small testing tube for me. I wore it from the tube for three days and decided I needed to have whole bottle. Now, up to this point I hadn't asked what the price was and figured it was maybe $100, tops. When the associate rang it up and it was $300 (with tax) I was internally shocked (as was my boyfriend, now my fiancé, who was with me ;-), but I was too proud to want to look like a rube from the Midwest (I live in Nebraska) so I didn't say anything and just handed over my card, mentally figuring that I wouldn't be putting money into my personal savings account the next month...(I make a decent living, but I've never spent over $100 on fragrance...and I have Scots ancestry, so being frugal is part of my genetics ;-) At any rate, I do love this fragrance and don't regret for a moment having spent as much as I did. I would have felt left out if I had said, no, that's too much. I'm glad that I didn't know how much it cost before the moment of payment because I might have talked myself out of something that has brought me joy since April. My fiancé jokes that I smell "expensive" whenever I wear it. It has decent staying power and a little goes a long way. There's almost a cat pee feeling to it at first (I'm sure there's a more sophisticated word for that, but right now I'll own up to rube vocabulary ;-) If you like the L'Artisan and Etro fragrances I linked above you will probably like Songe d'un Bois d'Ete - but maybe get a sample from a friend, because it comes at a cost.

I've read that Guerlain has a bespoke service where for around $36k you can have your own fragrance made, and they won't let anyone else buy it, and you get lifetime refills. Until I win the lottery Songe d'un Bois d'Ete will have to do - I doubt many women around here will be wearing it so I do smell unique (and that's something I prize).
07th December, 2014

Heliotrope by Etro

Heliotrope reminds me of being in junior high and making white cake from scratch when I was home from school because of snow days or teachers' convention or the like. It also reminds me of Play-Doh (seriously, it smells like a fresh can of Play-Doh). I wouldn't wear this on a date night unless I wanted the evening to turn out chastely watching a Disney movie, but for those moments when I want to be 13 again, it's perfect and yummy.

It does having good staying power, so if you don't like white cake nor Play-Doh, think twice before applying...
28th January, 2007