Fragrance Reviews from May 2001

opalsdad's avatar

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

I don't like Pleasures - it's too Œwith it¹, trendy, etc. It's as if Lauder took a look at the success of Tommy and decided....
    I don't find it has a lot of depth. And this isn't to say that I dislike all fragrances of this type: Issey is excellent, as is Rocher's Homme Nature and Lucky You. And I have been fond of a number of Lauder scents, both male and female. I really appreciate Youth Dew, White Linen, Knowing, Private Collection, Aliage. I have also worn Aramis, Tuscany, Aramis 900. Since Ms Lauder retired the quality of the products from this company seems to have gone downhill. The fragrances are brought to the public based on market research, not intuition. Estee Lauder never launched a scent based on market trends. If she like the fragrance it was simply put into production.

05 May, 2001

Armand Basi Homme by Armand Basi

I love this scent much lighter than 'BY' Dolce & Gabanna meaning less on the tobacco. The scent is much more longer lasting on me (whole day) than 'BY' is and has a nice spiced amber notes. I'm hooked..

15 May, 2001

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I remember wearing this scent in the late 80's it was remarkable and still unlike anything else on the men's market. The mix of floral and woods blended just right that not female at all. Now Dior seem to be breathing new life in the scent by relaunching it. I received to beautifully packaged spray sample this past month and WOW I'm in love with this scent again. I may buy this one again, it seems when your away from these thing then smell them again there even better!

15 May, 2001

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

A friend in Europe sent me a sample vial of this scent. I think it the most great long lasting aqua scent I've tried. But I can't find it any where.

16 May, 2001

Happy for Men by Clinique

I love the freshness, but it just doesn't last. I had a sample vial that I used over the course of a day. I can usually milk one of these for a while, but, not counting the initial application, I had to freshen up three times in order to continue experiencing this initially great scent. Yet another one of the "gone in 60 seconds" kind of fresh fragrances that seem to permeate the market and ultimately insult the buyer.

17 May, 2001

High... for Men by Patrick Cox

Tried Patrick Cox's new scent today, called High, and think I've found a winner...at least for now. Here's my corny first impressions. For the take-off we have the initial notes of Indian Lime, Grapefruit, Tangerine, Balsamite, & Peppermint. I know, I know nothing too special in that line-up. Lots of fresh scents have the citrus briggade to start things off, but my nose really picked up on that lime, grapefruit, and the slight hint of that peppermint and that got my nose out of cruise control. Next, at the apex of the journey, the heart notes composed of Basil, Violet leaves, and Geraniums began breezing in. At this point, I began to see a slight resemblance to Eternity, but those wonderfully refreshing citrus notes that were still floating about kept that from going too far. Lastly, at our cruising altitude, those smoooooooth base notes of Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, and Moss kicked in and that was it I was a bit euphoric all day. Each time I thought it was petering out I caught a little whiff and we were back in the old stratusphere. Thanks for flying Patrick Cox airways!! Seriously, guys, I think it's worth a try if you can get hold of some. Many may find it similar to other things, but with my limited, but ever-growing, fragrance experiences I find it a nice change from what I've found as "common" fresh scents.

20th May, 2001

Mark's avatar

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

It is a great, warm, long lasting scent.

22 May, 2001

Vialman's avatar

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

I wore it years ago and always loved it! Its a citrusy warm oriental in the same arena as Allure & Lalique Bleu. Very comfortable and easy to wear! Great bottle too!!

22 May, 2001

Candie's Men by Candie's

I was REALLY turned off by the magazine and in- store ads I saw, but when I had some given to me I began to examine it, trying to extricate the fragrance from the ads. In the end, while not a classic in many of our opinions, I did find it a "fun" fragrance. It is like Candy. Not a 'serious' fragrance, but something to be bathed in and toyed with as many teens (the demographic target) might like to do (not that some of us don't). There are certain fresh elements in it that make me feel kind of kid- like.

opalsdad's avatar

Un Air de Java by Decléor

On my recent trip the only fragrance I found of moderate interest was Un Air de Java which smells the way Pure Vetiver should (and doesn't)

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Yesterday pick up a bottle of the original Flannel because of all the talk here about it recently. It is unique how this scent was so ahead of its time. Very floral and woody and clean. Nothing else I think copies this scent.

Vialman's avatar

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

it was very light and similar to a softer version of Jil Sander men. Ive worn it all day..and it is a scent that really lasts..but very close to the skin! I was able to smell it clearly when I sniffed my wrists closely all day! I did refresh...but then I always do with any scent

anak's avatar

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

I must say the most animalistic scent EVER and possibly one of the best fragrances ever is 'By Dolce Gabbana'. It comes in a zebra striped bottle. It screams GRRRRRRRR, LETS GET BUSY!!!! yes, Al is on hormonal overload AGAIN.

31st May, 2001