Fragrance Reviews from August 2001

Pour Un Homme by Caron

unique for these times ... very floral and vanilla not very much sillage more of a light skin scent for an edt.

23 August, 2001 (Last Edited: 17 January, 2012)

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Today I received my B L V homme by Bvlgari with much anticipation.
    With greedy enthusiasm I open the box to find a shinny metallic blue box inside! Inside the blue box a heavy hefty wedged clear bottle with a blue square painted on the front (BLV Homme) and back (Bvlgari). The cap is brushed silver. Very plain very sophisticated very Bulgari.
    Cresting on a fragrance high I sprayed the scent on my arm!
    Disappointment : ( !!Crash!!
    The scent is not what I anticipated or dreamed. It is very bright fresh and greatly resembof hair shampoo. The scent is very light and hugs the skin the same way the original Bulgari Pour Homme does, in order to smell my arm I need to put my nose into it. On the down dry green spices and I believe a bamboo note comes out. A scent thats been done before or resembles ones done before. I really thought Bulgari would break away from the past and come out with something different. I guess Black was too off the wall for them so they laid back to the past and stayed with the original Pour Homme structure.

24 August, 2001

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

I tried BLV today at sax for the first time. HUGE LET DOWN!!

John.com's avatar

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

It is fresh, clean and wicked minty.

Higher by Christian Dior

The scent smells like a light carbon copy of Tommy. It is a very light scent but last a while. I am so surprised at Dior, Farhenhiet was so cutting edge at it time yet this Higher is just like everything else and more geared toward a 18 to 24 crowd. Sad.

Présence by Montblanc

The fragrance is rich yet fresh long lasting but not over powering. I think this is a really great early fall scent perfect for work to causal to dress.
    The bottle truly a work of art, right to the spray that if you look closely is the Mont Blanc trade mark star.
    It is the middle notes of heliotrope that gives it that sensual almond aroma. Very seductive indeed. Jaipar Homme uses heliotrope very heavily which is another favorite scent of mine but this scent takes it much lighter.
    This scent is I feel for a more mature male 26 to 40. An established person with direction. Though I don't bar it from the young but I feel a 15-18 year old would have problems pulling this one off.

25 August, 2001 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2001)

Vetiver by Guerlain

I finally got this one and i am really glad i did!It is evolving quite nicely on me!I love it and has now become one of my top 5! When i initially tried it last week i was not overly impressed but thanks to your numerous posts on this fabulous scent i gave it another chance and will never regret it!

27 August, 2001

What About Adam by Joop!

I love the sharp tomato leaf note it in. It reminds me of my kid days being in my large uncles garden I would always snap a tomato leaf off the vine and smell it on my hands for hours.

27 August, 2001

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

It starts out fresh with Juniper berries jumping out at you. A muted Lavender accord is also noticeable. mmmmmmm. The dry down is VERY smooth and almost creamy as the musk settles in. The fragrance is fresh, light but still a little dark and erotic

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

yes I like it! I would sleep wit hit if I cold its PHENOMENAL! Sometimes I have the idea of an amazing scent in my nose but can never find it. Its weird, I know WHAT I want something to smell like but I cant ever find it. Well, Kors men HIT it in the NOSE (no pun intended). To me it is initially like Angel women but lighter, then it dries down into an Allure men/Opium men hybrid but lighter than Opium and richer than Allure. Finally the Patchouli and Suede noted come out and make it AMAZING!!!! Also, I do smell the tuberose in it although it is quite muted. I felt MK was like a WAAAAAAYYYYYY better version than Allure.

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

I was not particuarly impressed. It's a nice fragrance but no better than a number of musk scents that are MUCH, MUCH cheaper. It smells very much like the Jovan scents - at least to me. If I wanted a really good musk fragrance I would buy: Caswell-Massey Musk Oil, Royall Muske or - if I were going abroad - Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

I just love this scent for fall. It is a blend of Cistus top notes with a complex middle of jasmine, rose petals and clove. The base is deep vetiver, sandalwood and oakmoss. When you sniff the bottle you can really smell the rose. To me this is a refined scent that just smell expensive.

j_dubyah's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I am now able to join the ever-expanding group of Michael wearers. Wore it last night and loved it. My nose is one that likes to pick out similarities between scents. The top notes of Michael smell like Le Dandy with more leather, the middle notes smell much like Hanae Mori with an additional "buttery" note, and the drydown smells somewhat like Giorgio/Gentleman (pathchouli probably). An awesome combination since all these scents are onces I own and would have combined in some fashion if I could have. A scent that recombines classic and well-loved smells in a new way is sure to be a hit. Great stuff.

The Baron by LTL

The Baron is a typical Evyan perfume. If you know White Shoulders, Great Lady, Golden Moment, etc. you will know what I am talking about. It has the fairly dominant orange-flower note but on this are piled woods and spices instead of the usual floral notes. But it is obvious that the same perfumer who created the womens' scents also did this one. I think it is a great fragrance but it is not for the young (they wouldn't like it anyway) and is very unusual

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is one of my favourites. Very, very sophisticated and not for the kids. To me it reeks of money. There is nothing quite like it. For me, I would not wear this fragrance to work but would save it for special occasions and only with a suit.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

See now this is the thing about 212, a lot of people on the forum like it and it is a good scent BUT its B-O-R-I-N-G. nothing original. textbook lavender citrus woody fragrance. YAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNN! If ya like it enjoy it, its excellently crafted and of great quality but it aint got any zip to it. [UPDATE: July 2002, Al likes 212 now!]

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

As for By, let me just say that i find this scent to be absolutely fabulous!It figures as one of my top five.It is a perfect blend ofsweet/spicyut not too much of either.I find it to be the perfect blend for a nice fall or winter night.There's something very sexy about this scent,and i always get compliments when i wear it.I can't compare it to anything out there.Very masculine. Last winter a girlfriend of mine loved it so much that she lent me one of her scarves so that i could wear it and give it back filled with the scent.It is not overbearing,however,yet lasts a long time on me.

johnstaf's avatar

Crown Imperial by Crown Perfumery

I wore Crown Imperial tonight and my brother told me I smelt like crayons! At least the comparison is an original one!

Number 1 for Men by Clive Christian

I LOVE IT BUT, its kind of like a By meets DK MEN hybrid, not so origianl that I would bust close to 2 grand on it even if I was Bill Gates! I prefer By and its $80 or even less if you look on Scentiments! Besides who needs a crystal bottle when I could have a Zebra striped one????

Casran by Chopard

I really,really like it.Very fresh yet sweet.Although i like it very much,i don't seem to be experiencing the spicier notes,or the incense notes all that much.It just leaves me with sort of a sweet,"powdery" note at the drydown.Of course,i shall use it again tomorrow and see if my opinion changes, but all in all a very pleasant,one of a kind fragrance!Perhaps i am over-imaginative but it makes me think of what the fluffiest cloud in Heaven would smell like,but don't quote me on that! :-)

EricM's avatar

Xeryus by Givenchy

I like this one a lot. Good scent that's not loud or overpowering, but doesn't fade quickly. It's getting hard to find and that's ashame. Seems most that I like do that. I also wear Xeryus Rouge and get more comments from women on that, but I find it too overpowering for day wear.

Eau de Hongrie by Fragonard

I do not care for Eau de Hongrie; it is too sweet and sugary for my taste. I prefer my citrus scents a lot sharper and cleaner. The jasmine just makes this too flowery for me.

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

I love this scent.
    This scent is a very rich leather chypre so modern 70's style.
    A blend of bergamot, Pepper, Leather, Sage, Benjoin, Cistus, Vetiver, Amber, Tonkinian musc, Oak moss.
    Think of the scent like Antaeus meets DK Fuel for men, very rich yet very unusual. It has the powdery leather/oak moss notes of Antaeus, yet it is softened and almost suede like with Tonkinian Musk.

Surface Skin Tonic by Aramis

Okay I tried Surface again and I think I might get it! I really like the clean clothes smell it has. It¹s like Happy for men taking away all that orange scent. Okay I will buy it tomorrow!