Fragrance Reviews from October 2002

imranlilani's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It makes me wild. A true classic. Most refreshing top notes i have ever experienced in any colongne. On my second bottle and whenever puzzled what to apply, Armani pour homme is there.

01st October, 2002

jasong9573's avatar

On El by J del Pozo

Very different to say the least. It''s something I haven't smelled before. I mean, it seems these days perfume makers trade or buy a formula and slap another designer's name on it hoping it will sell better than the previous designer. But this is not one of those. It's not a citrus, woody or musky smell. I would say it has a more......flowery?....smell to it. Good or bad, at least it is different. And that is better than having another copy out there.....in my opinion.

12 October, 2002

scentimus's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

(follow up)I wore my sample today and I'm totally in love with this fragrance! Okay smitten!
    Received numerous comments from woman but I found that some of my guy friends at work did not like it one bit.

13 October, 2002 (Last Edited: 18 October, 2002)

anak's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

WOWWWW! FINALLY A MANLY FRAGRANCE!!! This is amazing! I got it as soon as I sniffed! Further description of it later for now I am in BLISS!

19 October, 2002

scentimus's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

I do like it a lot...its not a strong harsh leather scent nor is it a muted leather scent.
    I does have a clean musk note lurking back there against the leather.

19 October, 2002

Nautica Competition (original) by Nautica

Not sporty in the least. More of a sensuous, romantic, mouth watering fragrance. The Apple, vanilla and mint combo are sensational. It's also a dynamo with regard to lasting power. It has a wonderful matching A/S balm

20th October, 2002

jriznsc's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Man..this stuff is absolutely wonderful..i love it and it will become my signature scent..:)
    it is long lasting..put it on at 8am..drove over 500 miles, walked 12 blocks and moved 20 boxes and it is still going strong..light but VERY present on my body..! TALK ABOUT STAYING POWER!

20th October, 2002

Russlan's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

It IS an OK scent. But the price is killing me.
    Then again... this scent is like it tries too had to leave an impression of something positive, respectable, classy, conservative... and not without some success I must admit.

23 October, 2002

The Bark's avatar

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

I was able to get a bottle online for under $60. Although it wasn't the antique edition, the fragrance itself is classy enough that it doesn't need a gimmick.

23 October, 2002 (Last Edited: 28 October, 2002)

CJ's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I have to agree with my bud Rob...especially the bit about the genitals.

25 October, 2002

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I got a sample of this last week and have been testing it. I think it is a good fragrance and certainly a refreshing shift in fragrance trends - if it does become a trend, that is. However, I can't see what all the excitment is about. I find the agarwood rather subdued. If one wanted a real agarwood fragrance, the way to go is Madini: Agarwood, Oud or Bouquet. I have been using the Bouquet for about a week and the heady, intense fragrant mix of agarwood and woody-spices is intoxicating. The Oud is a little more of a conventional mixture while the Agarwood is - as one would imagine - the pure, almost medicinal scent, strong and very woody. There are also the fragrances from Swiss-Arabian but all the ones that I have tried have such an overwhelming mixture of sweet, sweet florals - mainly roses - and oriental notes that the the aroma is quite nauseating. I find M7 reminds me of Opium Pour Homme but the spices have been replaced by woods.
    Then, too, I am pretty jaded when it comes to Oriental scents since that is what I normally wear and have worn for the last thirty years.
    I think that the ads that I have seen in the European magazines are audacious - to say that least - but Idon't think that North America is ready - or willing -to have a scent sold by a guy showing his genitals.

25 October, 2002

Dave's avatar

Crave by Calvin Klein

I just bought Crave yesterday and have already received many compliments on my new scent!! I think women really love the fresh/ clean smell! Calvin is so in tune with what is sexy!!

28 October, 2002

Sultan Safran / Safranier by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

The best from CSP, and that's saying a lot as most are incredible. Goes on with a spicy overload, but wait about 30 minutes. It mellows to an exotic dream in spice. The EDP strength really sticks it out.

28 October, 2002

Alejandro's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This scent is very dry,soft, I don't like it.

Alejandro's avatar

Allure Homme Eau Fraîchissante pour l'Été by Chanel

This version is better than the original Allure. Younger, fresher, simply the best

Vétiver by Carven

An absolutely wonderful fragrance, very dry and woody. I have worn it off and on for twenty years or more. If you see the bottle as pictured, grab it. HOWEVER, this bottle is no longer in production and the newer bottle is oval and curved and has a metal cap. Moreover, the formula has been altered. The newer scent is sweeter and less complex - a major disappointment. Why do fragrance companies do this? Do they think we will not perceive the difference?

Stuey's avatar

Claiborne Sport by Liz Claiborne

Love this fragrance. Similar to curve yet somewhat different. Nice addition to my collection.

Stuey's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Curve smells great other than that every other guy wears it. I wore it when it first came out but won't wear it again until the fever calms down.

Dave's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

This cologne appears to have fig as its top and head notes, which are very strong. The base notes I have read include patchouli and some kind of moss. Although the scent does not last all day, it is very pleasant. I can heartily recommend it to users of Drakkar Noir.

Chevalier d'Orsay by D'Orsay

Another D'Orsay masterpiece painstakingly crafted. A fresh start that is subsequently mellowed by balsam and amber. Very romantic, but acceptable for office environs.

Etiquette Bleue by D'Orsay

This is in my top two of all time. (L'Artisan's Caporal is #1). EB has a sharp beginning due to sicilian hesperides , but mellows at the base when it blends with neroli and rosewood. Worth its weight in gold. Utter rapture. mmmmmmm.....MMMMMMMM!!!!!

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

Anyone whom knows me, is aware that I'm a HUGE D'Orsay fan. The tobacco, whiskey, spices (armagnac, ginger) and wood combination create a VERY different experience. Not a shy one, it will announce the wearer. In an extremely pleasant way. Perfect for an evening out.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Very hard to find over here, due to import nit picking, but worth the hunt. My first impression of No. 88 was that of lemon furniture oil. Not to surprising with the gorgeous aroma of vetiver and bergamot mellowed by sandlewood, rose and geranium. Start saving NOW!!!!

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

An atrocity that it was axed!! NM is a highly underrated oriental. The unusual ingredients (i.e. bourbon, honeydew melon) and sumptuous woody are virile and romantic. If you run across a bottle, snag that puppy...

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

A classical beautifully balanced citrus fragrance. The rose note really added to the distinction of the scent and it has been a favourite of many for a long,long time. After the lemony top-notes fade the long-lasting scent clings close to the skin and is very well-balanced and harmonious.

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Basil is the main ingredient in this latest from Jean Laporte. It's shares many characteristics of earlier scents but the basil makes it quite special and different. Very herbal and quite smooth. Very long lasting - I applied this just after breakfast and people were commenting on it after supper. Another winner from Monsieur Laporte!.

Canoé by Dana

I recently purchased an 8 oz. bottle of this fragrance which is supposed to be the original formula. It smells very similar to what I remember from the mid-sixties. This was very high end at that time and along with Brut and Jade East, pretty much characterized that era. It's still a good fragrance, full of citrus and woods and quite long-lasting. The female equivalent of this fragrance, Ambush, was also very popular and a very similar scent with added floral notes. The creator, Jean Carles, was also responsible for the classic women's oriental Tabu. All these were first presented by the Spanish company Dana.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Although I may be in the minority, I find this scent totally undistiguished. The notes seem flat and synthetic.
    And what's the connection with the name? This fragrance is neither cool nor aquatic. But the ads certainly propelled this into the minds of a number of people and it became immensely popular. While Green Irish Tweed is not my favourite scent, it is what Cool Water would - and should - be if artistry was involved. When you are charging as much as Davidoff is for this scent, you should at least give your clients a decent product. (And perhaps spend a little more time on the juice than the adverisments.)

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I don't know anyone who doesn't like this scent. To me it is a classic combination of lavender and cedar. It is neither sweet nor dry and lasts very well on the skin with a beautiful drydown.

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Another classic from the hand of Jean-Paul. This one is very, very cool - icey even. The dry citrus components are mixed with herbs. Surprisingly long-lasting for such a light fragrance. Perfect for a long, hot Summer.