Latest Perfume Reviews

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

A great scent... huge bang for your buck here. The only draw back is that both bottles that I have owned seem to seep / leak from the top... which makes the bottle slightly sticky. Over all the scent is great. Above average longevity and projection. Nice citrus start with some peppery notes and herbs with a sweet musky dry down. Online and in stores this is 20 dollars for 3.4 oz bottle. Enjoy!

Gap Blue No. 655 Him by Gap

Decent spring summer scent for the Gap / mall crowd. Inoffensive low longevity and projection. The scent itself is good start and ends with a fizzle. My 7 year old son loves it though...
Oviatt Show all reviews

Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain

It is always a risk, messing with a classic--especially one as iconic as Shalimar. Eau de Shalimar achieves its goal of being a lighter, fresher version of this classic oriental. The top notes are lifted with a bright and light lemon/lime/bergamot note--literally good enough to eat--and the base notes are relieved of some of the tonka and rich incense (resin notes are listed instead of the traditional opoponax) but the rest is pure Shalimar. The vanilla is still there since it wouldn't me Shalimar without it. This is not a watery scent; it has more freshness than classic Shalimar but is still an Eau de Toilette and has excellent lasting power. Great for Shalimar wearers in warm climates or for those who do not want the heavy French formality of the original but love the citrus/floral/incense/vanilla dream that is Shalimar.

Jules by Christian Dior

I have a mid-vintage bottle of Dior Jules, in the clear ribbed glass, and I am a fan. On the first wearing, I was worried that it may be too subtle, but a couple more wearings have revealed a steady performance and winning smell.

"Russian Leather" is listed as a note on this site, and it does remind me of Chanel Cuir de Russie, especially in opening. It also reminds me somewhat of Chanel Antaeus, more so in the base, which was released a year after Jules.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Same powdery Guerlain accord. Not bad but am getting tired of it.

Mollie Parnis by Weil

The peach, coconut and galbanum are too loud and are the notes I am not a big fan of. Perhaps that is why I dislike Devin too.
I get some jasmine, orange and mogra but again not well balanced.
Dries down to peachy- coconuty mess.

Vent Vert (original) by Pierre Balmain

Vintage:
Vent vert starts green. A flower field that has been recently pruned,mowed and mulched. The green from broken branches and the floral smell of flower complement each other.
I get Galbanum, Jasmine and Peach.
This is Green done right.

Weil de Weil by Weil

Vintage:
Galbanum is done right here. The first hour is a perfect combination of green and floral. This hour is one of the best representation of spring
After a few hours though it veers off-script and becomes soapy.

Cabotine by Grès

It reminded me of YSL Paris a little. Rose and soap and peach.
The dry down is good and floral but nothing original. Smells like a typical Bank of England smell.

Chamade by Guerlain

Vintage Version:
This is a great fragrance especially the first few hours. It smells like valley of flowers - a valley that is a bit far away from your wooden cabin and as you wake up in the morning the smell wafts in bringing with it a promise of a new day.
Soft and radiant smell of flower and amber. Muted galbanum and nothing loud.
The drydown (6hr later) is disappointing. It veers off the theme and I smell inky incensy notes along with gurelain's signature powdery accord.

Léonard pour Homme (original) by Léonard

Not my favorite. The incense and artemisia kills this one for me.
Too dry for my taste.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Long ago I avoided reviewing this and several other fragrances simply because they had plenty enough reviews already. Now I feel compelled to throw in my two cents because of how my perception has changed over the years. Until now I never quite realized how very 80's the heart and base are, losing myself in the lavender and calone opening. But the bitter greens and white florals, on closer inspection, are more akin to scents like the original Burberrys than the wave of herbaceous aquatics that followed Eternity's release. Heck, I never even noticed there was vetiver in this composition until today. I have always liked Calvin Klein despite their many shortcomings (CK Free and Encounter spring immediately to mind), and Mr. Klein and I share a birthday (Yippee!), and I feel this release deserves its level of fame- It is synthetic yet potent, a bit screechy if over-sprayed, but is layered and nuanced in a way which seems to be fading from the common release. My one caveat is that the current version in production is -maybe- 65 percent the strength of the original.
Thumbs up for the original creation and a watered down neutral for the schlock currently on the shelves.

L'Etrog Acqua by Arquiste

A run-of-the-mill general citrus - lemony impression - on the darker side and not really refreshing - with a dull herbal undertone is followed by a generic woodsy drydown with whiffs of an unexciting patchouli in the base.

This sounds trite? It is; very much a routine product that is generic with standard synthetic basic blending - pretty much an olfactoric non-event.

The sillage is moderate, the projection adequate and the longevity five hours on my skin.

Maybe for spring or not at all. The only good thing is the marketing - but can we wear that? 1.5/5

Arabico by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Farmacia SS Annunziata Arabico is a stunning revelation on my sucking skin. First of all I need to say that there is something fresh-warm, spicy, virile, kind of organic-pheromonal, piquant, resinous and cozy that typifies this (otherwise apparently common) woody-hesperidic accord (I detect something conceptually similar, or partially similar, in scents a la 7 de Loewe or Creed Aventus); this special twist is something "earthy-sartorial", dusty-peppery and freshly urban but at same time classically spicy and exotic, a spark of class and italian spicy-rooty-peppery sophistication. This little fire is constantly paired by a quite freshly aromatic presence (fresh lavender and vetiver) which is not only citric and vaguely barber-shop (or classically fougere) but at same time fluidy-incensey (a watery frankincense's rendition), herbal, spacious and vaguely tropical. Patchouly (growing up progressively) and musk (so sophisticated and soapy) are heady, immediately followed by lime, pepper/cardamom, exotic spices and "splashing" frankincense. Complex (almost cacophonous) spiciness and silky soapiness run side by side. Woods are here but it is the combination of spices, patch, hints of "intimate" dry smoke (a la Creed Aventus) and resins to make this juice great, modern, sensual and extremely elegant. Lemony cardamom is a remarkable constant and I wonder if minimal hints of fresh and dry tobacco are included in the blend. The Arabico's kind of man is "modernly classic" (italian contemporary high tailoring), traveller, perfectly trimmed, freshly smelling and self-confident. This one could be a quite bold and sensual piece of perfume for the "seaside southern resorts-seducer", a juice which could appeal the typical Creed Aventus-lover but at same time all the lovers of highly spicy fresh and exotic fragrances a la Frapin L'Humaniste or Cartier Declaration (Arabico makes me thinking at a sort of warmer and more erotic Declaration on my skin). Yes, I agree about the ordinarily synthetic perception (Iso E in particular, with a sort of sporty shower-gel kind of undertone) but this juice is surely far more since its multifaceted articulation on skin (with its plenty of spicy, resinous, earthy, hesperidic, floral and woody nuances) gives glory to the whole daring experiment (a classic, basically "yet runned", formula newly revisited in a special modern elegant way). A pity for the just moderate projecion which slightly tames the potencially higher boldness of an (anyway) undeniably daring juice.

Forbidden by House of Matriarch

Thumb's up, only just, because Tuberose Indolic has my stomach tighten, my brain gasping for oxygen as it tries to push it's way out of my sockets.
I am forced to scrub.
Funny because Jasmine Indolic has the whole of me wrapped up in the rapture of Oxygen rich clouds and an overwhelming calm and Peace.
Before I scrubbed I was able to recognize a pleasing Woody Base, hints of fungi and of course a intoxicating blast of dry Absinthe.

SexMagic by House of Matriarch

Bam!Bam!Bam!Bam!
This is the fourth charmer from this house that pierces my armour.
It's not that they are so sexy. It is something related to sensuality.
All that I have tasted thus far, carry a creamy refinement or "Mounting of the Sauce" succulence.
Again, the best of Aromatherapy. Dreamy and Soothing.
Sex Magic, Black No. 1 and Orca, Coco Blanc. Into the wardrobe they go.
HOM need to refine their packaging. Beautiful styling, however there is a lack of substance, mechanically, in the newest bottling.
These perfumes deserve better.
For the price asked we all deserve better.

Arabian Horse 3.1 by Parfumerie Generale

It opens as Lipstick, Leather and Hay. An undercurrent of soap weaves through. It beds down to a musky, warm skin scent, quite apparent as a PG notion, as it is in the vein of all those I have tried. It has an outline of a CDR and with a less stiff and formal finish. A very comfortable country Leather. Feminine or Masculine? I would say Unisex,as it points to the Earth, the Animal, the Human.
Beautiful, romantic and highly recommended!

Sir by D.S. & Durga

The opening hits the mark: a dark benzoin-underlined rose with a fairly traditional jasmine, initially brightened up by an again traditional bergamot-citrus background. Until now this clearly is derived from the opening concept of the classic Chypre.

On my skin the brighter parts are pushed back soon by the darker elements, with styrax-tilted resinous characteristics emerging in the drydown. This is enhanced by a deep and somber but fairly smooth patchouli impression with an incense twist to it and some labdanum - just a bit - towards the base stage.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and about ten hours of longevity on my skin.

A remarkably convincing traditional chypre initially, and staying in this tradition for the most part except the lack of a convincing oakmoss contribution, it is an autumnal creation of high natural ingredient quality and not without a contemporary twist. 3.5/5.

Baldessarini Private Affairs by Baldessarini

Just your average scent. Worth a blind buy due to price and quality... this just isn't for me. Longevity is 6 hours and projection is about 2 good hours before turning to a skin scent.

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

MPeG Racine opens beautifully with an old-school accord of citrus (mostly lime), neroli, mint, musk and probably rooty vetiver. Well made, bracing and with a classically naïf "cologney" gentlemanly vibe. Lemon is intense, vaguely medicinal and almost fizzy but I get at same time (as equally heady) a sort of bitter earthiness quite opaque, woody-camphoraceous and assertive. It seems to detect as well far echoes of dry hay or toasted tobacco. Hesperides, a touch of rootiness and the general muskiness conjure me vaguely the initial feel I used to pick up in the vintage Guerlain Vetiver eau de cologne formula back in the early 90's. Vetiver is constantly waving around under my nose but it is not a quite visceral-earthy vetiver, on the contrary it is mostly airy, freshly crisp and citric. Dry down, still unfolding this main citric vetiver's presence, is equally focused on a smoother and darker presence of woods, oakmoss and probably hints of benzoin/tonka bean. The juice is anything but original but could be a more than dignified solution for all the lovers of such retro gentlemanly pieces of nostalgic classicism. Really faint duration and projection on my skin.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

One of my favorites from the Mugler line of scents. Very nice spring / summer scent for men or women. Citrus and zesty to start with a minimal musk dry down. A true skin scent within a hour or two depending on the temperature. Worth a buy for the price. A quality scent. Enjoy!

Anniversary by Perfumer's Guild

A beautiful masculine aromatic spicy fragrance with notes of bergamot, cardamom, coriander, cumin & woods.

Perfect for wearing in hot sunny weather during the day.

Good Longevity for a cologne.

Boy Chanel by Chanel

This is an easy thumbs up for me, a hit, especially for a 2016 release in a struggling market. It makes me think of a more masculine version of Chanel No. 19. The base has a typical Chanel light sweetness. It's appropriate for office wear.

I think heliotropin (listed here) or héliotrope (listed on chanel.fr) is a main component of the smell. I am reminded of Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver, although this Chanel seems more wearable.

Bubblegum Chic by Heeley

A heavy, sticky and gooey tuberose with lists of artificial waxiness combines with a sticky and heavy jasmine with a slightly minty undertone initially - yes, this is chewing-gum at its most mundane. Hints of a thick white musk with moments of a candy-like syrupy undertone develop later in the base, but the tuberose-jasmin prevails throughout.

The sillage is moderate, the projection excellence and the longevity ten hours - the last three or four closer to my skin.

A fun, trashy and fake concept that works well as such for a bit of a plasticine spring frolick - as a fragrance it is too synthetically linear to deserve a positive score. 2.5/5.

Siam Proun by Olympic Orchids

What a Joyful Spring Garden perfume!
Naturally sweet fruits, Fizzy and citric, like Lik-M-Aid together with an ambery, vaguely boozy fuzziness provide a background canvas for a spray of Culinary herbs and something savoury, scallion-like, perhaps Garlic chive. This is the essence of a backyard garden and orchard.
Something Camphour envelopes it all to corral back into the World of Perfume. This is the sniff of the skin.

Projection provides an aura rich, soothing, slightly medicinal and altogether Magical.

This was packaged in a Black and Gold Lipstick spritzer, Chanel-like in it's elegance.

Covey suggested that she had created this gem for her Mother.

What a delightful gift!

Adam Levine for Men by Adam Levine

Tested from a sample. Very citrusy and fruity. Hard to discern the individual notes, but I thought I got tangerine at first. Fruitiness is about all I got before reading the ingredients, which is a shame as I'd have liked to smell the listed violet, sage and ginger. Once I read ginger was there, I got it, but I guess that's a cheat. It kind of reminds me of the sort of generic, fruity shower gel you sometimes get in hotels and it also fades almost as quickly. Within less than an hour it was a skin scent and in three hours, completely gone.
I certainly don't sense the body-odour thing that others have mentioned. Not for me, but if you want a light, quickly fading, fruity scent it might be worth a try. Or you could just buy a fruity shower gel....
May 2016

L'Hommage à L'Homme by Lalique

Many of my fragrance purchases are blind buys. I do my due diligence as far as looking for notes of the scent and reviews. This being one of those blind buys, I am extremely pleased with this scent. It is made with great quality. This is more of a muted oud scent so don't expect YSL's M7 Oud Absolut. As far as notes I do smell saffron and I get the muted oud. Not sure what wood notes are here. I would say this is more of a date night or formal wear type scent. For the price you can't go wrong. Enjoy!

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

Another average scent for men. This is safe for the office or casual wear. Spring / Summer scent for sure. Average longevity with limited projection. I get some mint and pepper with a muted dry down of wood notes. Prices are good at least so if you like to layer or looking for something light for hot days this may work for you.

On El by J del Pozo

I find this scent to be unique. I haven't smelled every scent so I am sure this is similar to others on the market but with my experience it is unique. That being said I do like it. The scent tree is large. It is well constructed, not over powering and I find it to be a great date night scent. It is on the sweet side with some woods and herbs. longevity and projection are above average for myself. Prices for this scent are getting higher so make sure you like it before you buy. Enjoy!