Fragrance Reviews from December 2002

Adidas Moves by Adidas

With name like Adidas and a company like Coty one would expect the Moves to be something pretty much run-of-the-mill, but it is actually not. It's surprisingly comlicated, yet sportive, fresh and masculine fragrance along the lines of Lucky You by Liz Claiborne. Nice move, that.

Adidas Sport / Sport Field by Adidas

Fresh, at first a bit spicy, but overall pretty light chypre that smells very similar to many other colognes that have the same citrus-floral-woody combination of notes. It's sporty, dynamic, casual and doesn't cost huge bucks. I recall I still have a bottle of it stashed somewhere around the house.

Adidas Team / Team Force by Adidas

Fresh chypre along the lines of Hugo (the greyish-green one), that was a winner of FiFi awards in 2000 as the best mas-market fragrance. If you want to stay on budget and smell nice give it a try.

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Truly an underdog. BG starts off with a jolting citrus sharpness, but mellows down exquisitely to a very smooth woody/green scent spiced to perfection. Parfumes de Nicolai's New York is actually somewhat similar and about $50.00 more

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

I would compare this to Aramis taken down a couple notches. I adore Aramis so the rest is obvious...Leather and spice.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I enjoyed this in the 80's, but as my tastes have become more "refined", this heady fragrance has fallen from grace. It screams disco, John Revolting, the whole scene...

Palais Jamais by Etro

Very spicy and savory, with what seems to be a discrete leather accord. Go light with this and you'll have a winner. Perfect for Autumn.

Patchouly by Etro

Raw and earthy, it is one of my favorites in the patchouli arena. Nice for a cool evening out.

Sandalo by Etro

A light and pleasant sandalwood fragrance. Thumbs up. My only criticism of it, would be that it is a little too light.

Robert's avatar

Dominican Republic Dominican Republic

Knize Ten by Knize

Knize Ten comes from the "House of Knize". He was the Tailor to the Hapsburgs, and the first of Modern day Fashion Designers. The House is located in a small town south of Munich.
    Caswell Massey is their sole distributor. Since 1924 it has been proclaimed the BEST mens fragrance many, many times. Recommended for evening and formal wear. A true gentlemens must have.

Annayaké Pour Lui by Annayaké

Zen-like, transparent and tender. Cool, calm and romantic, but at the same time I can't imagine a woman wearing this, it smells absolutely masculine. Try this, it's an interesting one.

Iquitos by Alain Delon

Spicy, mossy, somewhat akin to Equipage Hermes or Karon Pour Un Homme, although Iquitos is more floral. Dark and a bit heavy. Good to wear in a colder weather.

Lagerfeld Man by Lagerfeld

Lagerfeld Man is a fragrance inspired by the look (see the bottle) and smell of men with freshly ironed white shirts. This fragrance follows in the footsteps of Lagerfeld Femme. Excellent indeed.

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

The scent was released as a part of Julian's fashion line of the same name. Distinguished, clean, fresh citrus with hint of white flowers, an excellent choice for the office wear - and ladies love it.

Hei by Alfred Sung

The second scent from Alfred Sung that is the companion to Shi Alfred Sung, a women's fragrance launched last year. Both scents are inspired by feng shui. Hei is a green fougere with notes of fennel, bergamot and bamboo.

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

Cuiron is an attempt to reinvent leather with a modern twist, without losing its classic masculinity. The amber flask is modeled after an antique Viennese apothecary bottle!

solar's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

After reading the reviews here, I decided to try out both Boss and Allure. Of the two, I'd have to say Allure is the more refined. I don't know how best to define Boss, but 'Woolworths counter special' is close. A quality product, that somehow is just that little bit too popular and bland. Its nice nonetheless, and would suit a younger chap who is just getting himself into the Suit/Office routine. Then you just have to move onto something more refined - like Allure?

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Racine is a perfect accord of woody/earthy/soulful vetiver, the efervescent qualities of bergamot and the ellusive floral notes of neroli. I get the best of many worlds in this scent, but to be honest at first try, I detested the fragrance. I bought it without ever sampling it first -- I just read the notes of the fragrance and imagined what it would be like. In subsequent sprays, it grew more and more as my absolute favorite among my fragrance wardrobe, which is (embarrassing to say) way too much.

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Smoky, earthy, woody... It's one to keep you warm and embraced.

Sandalo by Etro

I really enjoy this scent. I bought a bottle earlier this year, but as much as I loved it, it was too heavy for me...something about the sweetness that was giving me a headache. Though on others, even with prolonged exposures, I don't react the same way. It's truly a beautiful scent that's very well made.

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

An honest, woody/earthy vetiver that has some beautiful creamy edges/undertones. Clean and decadent.

Vetyver by Jo Malone

I think this is the most subtle vetiver fragrance I own. The lemon-y notes really keep the naturally earthy/woody/grassy qualities of vetiver from taking over the fragrance. It wasn't my favorite vetiver, but I have since grown to love its versatility.

154 by Jo Malone

It's very woodsy. Strong notes of patchouli, I think. It's rather wonderful for a "unisex" scent. Not at all like any of her other fragrances.

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

...understated...a whisper, really...
    a delicate fragrance of white lilacs that lasts to the night. I treasured getting a "passing" whiff of it every once in a while throughout the day...simplicity can be so awesome.

Calypso Homme by Calypso Christiane Celle

Man, this scent is awesome...better for summer than fall, but a great discovery nonetheless.
    Here's a description:
    Calypso's fragrances are made in the old tradition of French perfumery in Grasse, France. Homme, Calypso's latest, is a new men's fragrance that reflects the store's island flavor with notes of tangerine, grapefruit, lemon tree, black currant, hyacinth, and violet.
    It's lasting power is not as strong as I would like, but among my citrus-based scents (including Acqua di Parma, Eau d'Hadrian, Guerlain's Imperiale, etc.) it's not too bad.
    BTW, it really is almost like being whisked away to the islands - fresh, cool, breezy, effervescent, joyous...a walk along the verdant edge of a tropical forest.

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

I couldn't resist the leather notes - it's the kind of scent that one treats one's self to...like a personal space enhancer. Surprises me how much I like the multiple leather notes of this scent; I normally don't go for these types of scents but Helmut Lang sold me. What a sensual scent! Awesome...

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I can sum up this fragrance with one word, "rich." The top notes are green, but somewhat acrid (though not at all unpleasant). Vetiver certainly makes quite a statement in this scent, as it takes center stage; it comes through from the second it landed on my skin, evolving from something bright and green to a more stately, earthy stage about an hour into it (this is my favorite phase of the scent), then a drydown that's "musky". There is nothing subtle or understated with this fragrance. It shares many of the same characteristics with Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. But, unlike other vetivers, Lutens' is not just warm, it's downright "hot" in composition. I think musk and sandalwood makes a presence to justify the second half of its name: oriental. And on me, this aspect is not necessarily a good thing; musk and sandalwood gives me a headache. I'd still wear it, though...perhaps on a very cold evening, especially rainy/snowy weather. I think I'm not exaggerating when I say it'll render some added warmth.

Cold by Benetton

Good and inexpensive unisex scent that starts off very citrusy, then becomes a bit more flowery with hints of sweetness that is caused by vanilla I guess. Casual, pleasant, great to wear on hot summer days.

DNA for Men (original) by Bijan

The bottle is stylized after the spiral of DNA molecule, and can be used for educational purposes. But seriously, DNA is unassuming casual scent with notes of bergamot, jasmine, lavender, amber, cedar and sandalwood. A bit generic.

Aromatic Fragrance of Guajaco Wood by I Coloniali

The only fragrance from J&E Atkinsons that I tried, and I myst say I like it a lot. It is quite simply done, but is still charming - warm and subtle, lingering close to the skin. It's fresh, a bit woody in the heart and woody-spicy on the drydown. The main note is guajaco wood and some exotic colonial spices. A+.