Fragrance Reviews from December 2002

solar's avatar

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Its hard to define this one. At first I thought it was Joop rebottled, it smacks you with a fruity (well, rosey/vanilla) smell, that seems to linger after first contact with air. But as it settles, and gets to work on your skin, you begin to notice subtle oriental shifts. But where Joop lacks freshness, Dunhill Desire maintains a bit of 'still fresh in the morning' scent. "Its Fruity with a hint of Spicey Freshness" - is the best definition I can give it. Not sure if everyone will like it, one to buy after a Sampler methinks.

20th December, 2002

Best Company by Best Company

Sporty, fresh and young fragrance, supposedly consisting entirely of original American ingredients - Kansas water mint, Carribean lime, Central America geranium and Virginia juniper among others.

Chester & Peck by Carlo Corinto

Sporty, refreshing, a bit fruity fragrance - a blend of green tea, pineapple, amber and jasmine. Good for office, excellent to wear in summer. Classic-looking bottle too.

Gerani pour Homme by Gerani

Interesting scent, modern but distinctly Mediterranean in flavour with its citrus and sea salt notes with hint of spices. The heart is flowery with notes of cyclamen, violet, jasmine and geranium. The base is a blend of amber, woods and mosses.

Les Copains Le Bleu by Les Copains

A combinartion of of mint, grapefruit and apple forms the top notes, the heart is composed of sage and cinnamon, which leads to a base of patchouli and sandalwood. Of three Les Copains scents that I know - Trend, Pour Homme and Bleu I like the last one the best.

Musgo Real by Claus & Schweder

Musgo Real men's soaps have been hand made and stamped in Portugal since 1887. Developed for the aristocracy, they are a lasting tradition from the century-old Claus & Schweder company. Musgo Real Concentrated Cologne is the essence of the Musgo Real scent. Blended with spice and woodland tones of patchouli and vetiver and the floral notes of lavender and geranium, this light, clean and sporty scent smells classic, sophisticated and masculine.

Rockford by Atkinsons

Subtle and inviting fragrance with warm and masculine notes

Carlo Corinto Classic by Carlo Corinto

Corinto Pour Homme is a fresh, woody, mossy, lavender cologne. A bit too 'Eighties' overall.

Imperial Jade Emperor by Agatha Brown

Light oriental with hints of florals is all I can recall about this fragrance that I encounter once in a while. The bottle is made of frosted grass, and the colour of juice is indeed reminds of jade - it's pale green.

273 Rodeo Drive for Men by Fred Hayman

Floral yet very masculine. Like nothing else I've smelled. Very strong, yet mine is only cologne strength. Goes a long way and won't quit. Doesn't evolve much but smells great from the start. Not many supporting products that are widely available though.
    The box is bright yellow with red writing, uniquely shaped. The bottle is a black pyramid, slightly slanted, with red writing. Very different from other bottles and easy to spot.
    Named after Fred Hayman's Rodeo Drive boutique address, 273.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

Nice scent. Good combination of Juniper berry, and woods. Works for casual or office. Many supporting products. Deodorant not the longest lasting, but the juice has fairly good duration. Nice color liquid too.
    Bottle reminds me of a structure from a sci-fi movie or an air traffic control tower, and also of Pierre Cardin's signature fragrance bottle.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Did not like it at first sniff. So strong the first time I wore it, and though I received many compliments, I felt as though it was not for me.
    Must be an acquired taste, as I love it after many wearings. Own the EDT now, and going to obtain a few more products in the line, which is extensive.
    The bottle (rubber flask version) is unique. Quite nice to the touch, juice visible through the clear star in the center. The sprayer is very responsive, ask it for a litte juice and you get it, no dripping. When spraying large volumes from it, the sprayer delivers a steady mist, not a firehose stream.

Aramis by Aramis

A true classic. I don't care if it's older than I am, it's timeless. Very potent and somewhat loud, it screams masculinity. A few sprays will do you, and it has a fairy wide line of supporting products.

Aramis 900 by Aramis

A great reworking of Aramis, a bit softer, but still Aramis. I love the rose in this. Very masculine and it doesn't quit, nor does the deodorant. Ashame if it's discontinued. Must be applied in the proper amount to be appreciated. Too much and the scent changes, and not for the better.

Candie's Men by Candie's

Starts off smelling like Jolly Rancher candy. Unfortunately it stays that way (unlike Jako by Lagefeld which starts that way but evolves nicely) and I never get that musk drydown so many Claibornes have that I love. Have worn this scent many times, and it's just not for me. It is appropriately named though!

cK be by Calvin Klein

Never thought I'd like a CK unisex scent, but this on has my number. Musk, musk, and more musk! Clean and sharp throughout it's evolution. Not long lasting though. A bit more duration would be nice, Calvin used to be so strong on his fragrances, but this one is not. Versatile, good for the office or casual things, even a night on the town. Won't overwhelm in a close environment such as a theater.
    The bottle is dark blue or black, and can be soon through if held up to a strong enough light source. Very simple yet elegant shape.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I like many of the notes in this scent, but something in the composition just doesn't do it for me. Nine times out of ten I want to remove it as soon as it's applied. I don't know why, but the other one time in ten it's okay, but not great. If I were going to wear a scent of this type, I'd choose Wings instead.

Devin by Aramis

An Aramis product I don't like! If it's not in production maybe I should be glad. I find it harsh, cloying and indistinct. I don't plan to revisit it anytime soon.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Very unique scent. Love the woods in it. Doesn't come across floral to me, just masculine. Quite potent and long lasting. Supported by a nice line of other products. The shower gel is great, and the spray deodorant is the best I've ever used.
    The bottle's coloring varies slightly from the base of the cone to the neck. Like a beaker containing heat within. So suited to the name, the packaging is true to the scent.

Havana by Aramis

Very complex and well done scent. Spicy and bay rum to boot. The name suits it well.
    Has some supporting products in the line, which is good.
    [a] Well done bottle, the color reminds of the ocean in the tropics. Inverted cone shape is not the best for standing though, and seeing the level of the juice go down faster at the end than the beginning is a bit unsettling. Nice box too, good coloring.
    I see the skull and bones of discontinuation are gone, hope it's being made. I wonder if there was an "especial" version? Not Reserva, just an "especial" of Havana.

Havana Reserva by Aramis

A cleaner smelling version of Havana, this scent is not quite as loud or harsh. Still spicy and the bay rum is present througout the top, heart and base notes. Not very many supporting products either, I've only seen the juice.
    I own Havana in a large bottle, have a small bottle of Havana that is marked 'especial' on the box and that one smells more like Havana Reserva, which has a silver cap. The box to the large bottle of Havana does not have especial on it anywhere, and though I like it, it's not as well done as the other two scents. I don't know if there was an especial, or if my scents just smell different for other reasons, but the small (1oz bottle of Havana) and Havana Reserva smell close to the same.
    Speaking of the bottle, I love the color of it. Beautiful, pleasant blue glass. The inverted cone shape means it does not like to stand upright though, and as you use the juice, the level drops faster at the end! The box is quite tropical/Latin American.
    I see it's discontinued, and I want to sceam "nooooooooo!" about that. Et tu Estee, et tu!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

I think of cloves every time I wear this scent. Versatile enough for the office, a night out or even casual. Good duration, but I tire of it quickly, it's a tad too harsh. Similar to Paco Rabbane XS, but I like XS a tad more, it's milder. Herrera for men is a thumbs up to be sure, though one day now and then is enough for me. Maybe I have burnout, I wore it every day for a couple of months years ago, so it did capture my heart.
    The cap of the bottle intrigues me. The deep red/maroon seems boundless.

Jako by Lagerfeld

Starts off smelling like Candies for Men, or Jolly Rancher candy. Doesn't stay that way long though. It's the best evolving scent I've come across. Very complex and changes over several hours. The musk really starts to come out, and what a great musk it is. One of the best stick deodorants I've used, long lasting and true to the juice.
    The bottle is nothing special to me, but the cap is nice.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This could possibly be my greatest fragrance mistake ever. I wore it in the store and liked it, and for the rest of the day and night. When I woke up the next morning I had a headache from hell, and the sweetness was just overpowering. I gave the bottle to a friend who loves the stuff. Just glad I didn't get the gift basket with the soap and other stuff. The color of the juice is intriguing though.
    This scent is so sweet/sour, it's as though I'm being dipped in a giant vat of sweet and sour sauce by one of the villians from the old Batman TV show ( an '!' instead of a '?' and the same color outfit as the juice). Will he survive the Joop! Homme? Find out next week. Same bat time, same bat channel!
    If I were stocking a fragrance utility belt, I'd opt for D & G pour homme, or The Dreamer instead in this category. Each to his own though.

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

Walked by a tester of this in a store one day, and it smelled great. The musky drydown and green top and heart notes are an excellet combination. Very casual scent, light and slightly sweet. Nice range of supporting products, and spray after shaves are great, wish there were more of them. This is my favorite Claiborne scent right now.
    The juice is colored light green, very much like an emerald. The bottle is a classic cologne bottle shape, almost antique looking.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

Yes! A great scent, spicy. I'm glad to see it's not listed as discontinued here, just hope that's correct, or it was brought back. My only complaint about this scent is that it fades on me quicker than most. The stick deodorant lasted 24 hours though, about 10 more than the juice.
    The bottle is classy and unique, I can spot it in my arsenal quite easily. The red and black of the box contrasts so well with the clear/white of the bottle and amber juice.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

So sweet, so strong, so long lasting, so loud, and so good! Topping this scent will be an uphill struggle all the way. With a wide line of excellent supporting products, this scent lives up to it's name.
    The bottle is shaped like nothing else I've seen, almost oval. I can spot it in my collection with ease.

Pheromone for Men by Marilyn Miglin

I like the scent more after it's drydown more than the initial application. The first hour or so it does smell like hair spray, JW is right. I've heard the same thing said about Realm, but never agreed with that. Pheremone is very synthetic at first. In spite of the name the scent does not contain pheremones though, as far as I know. It's very green on the drydown, and envokes summer to me (must be the hay). I would not classify it as very masculine, it's almost unisex, but that could be the soft synthetic top notes. I'll continue to wear it for a change of pace, as it's quite a change from many of the scents I wear.

Photo by Lagerfeld

This is my favorite Lagerfeld. A wonderful blend of citrus top notes and lavender, lingering with a base of sandalwood, benzoin and maybe a bit of musk and/or leather. It's not as complex in it's evolution as Jako (another fine scent) but it does change some. The deodorant stick lasts too. More casual than formal, but could work for both.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

A very potent, enduring and good fragrance. Not for casual use, but works well in all weather. The drydown is MUCH better than the initial application. Incredible deodorant, equally long lasting and very much like the EDT.
    Nothing special about the bottle, just clear glass and a rectangle. The metallic box is nice though, and does suggest platinum.