Fragrance Reviews from December 2002

The Dreamer by Versace

An oriental fragrance with juniper, amber and iris. Somewhat like D & G pour homme, but not exactly. A clean, slightly floral scent. The spray deodorant is a winner as well. The bottle is well designed, the visage staring out from it brings to mind an old Greek sculpture. The box is intriguing as well, and captures the spirit of the name, with a starry space scene and nebulae, and the silver metallic box top imprinted with the same visage as the bottle.

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

This scent reminds me of spring. Lavender and spice. Very cool, contrasted by a hint of warmth, like standing in the sun with a cool spring breeze. I love the top notes in this scent. Has some supporting products in the line, but I find the deodorant to be weak and not close enough to the juice for my taste.
    The green marbled bottle is very classy. I could stare at it all day.

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Reminds me of a lighter version of Herrera for men. Doesn't have the staying power of Herrera for men, but smells a bit cleaner. Very nice scent.
    The bottle is different to be sure, the way the cap opens up and on the side with a hinge to get to the sprayer is like a high dollar sports car.

Portfolio Elite for Men by Perry Ellis

A slightly reworked version of Portfolio, and one I like slightly better. Good casual or office scent, though I don't consider it right for the night life scene. Not loud or overpowering

Bora Bora for Men by Liz Claiborne

This one I hated at first sniff. Every time I've worn it since my opinion of it went up some. It's heavy on the figs, and quite fruity. I'm to the point now that I like it, but don't know that I'd give it a thumbs up yet. Wish it had more of that Claiborne musk base that most of them seem to have. Doesn't evolve much after being applied.

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Love at first sniff, and all other subsequent sniffs too! Leather and clean musk, clean musk and leather. Sometimes the simpler things in life are better. Always present, but never intrusive, it stays close to the skin but endures.
    The bottle could use a different color, medicine bottle orange/brown doesn't do it for me at all, though the shape of the 3.3 oz. bottle is compact and stable. I hope the color protects the juice from light, as that color is used for medicines and beer for that purpose. Mine lives in it's box, which I do like the basic black.
    Quite a versatile utility scent, doing equally well for formal or casual. My fragrance of the year for sure!

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Like Paul, I rediscovered it recently! I got two bottle of it during the past year, both of which had turned bad I think. The bottle I got this week has the new packaging, so it must be fresh. The fresh green top, floral heart and leathery base is simply superb! A must-have!

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

A very good fresh fougere indeed!Ideal for the summer, while I use original Jazz for the spring and fall. (even in winter! :-)I have a lot of citrus scents for the summer, so Live Jazz is a nice addition in the Fougere category.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Beurk! That stuff is awful! Glad I didn't buy it!

Fire & Ice for Men by Revlon

Fresh and spicy floral oriental fragrance with notes of osmanthus, tangerine flowers, lavender and amber. Powdery drydown. Girls love it!

24th December, 2002

Tim's avatar

Musk for Men by Coty

i've used the spray version for 20 years as a supplement to or, occasionally, as a replacement for deodorant and it has never failed to elicit a positive response from women. i've tried a host of replacements and would be lost if Coty ever discontinued this product. i think my personal chemistry must blend perfectly with the ingredients as it "burns" very well into, as i've been told, a very, very pleasant result. the best thing is it's subtle. like they say, it's a fine line between aroma therapy and chemical warfare. :)

24th December, 2002

Aigner Pour Homme by Etienne Aigner

Great stuff. Very classic-smelling. Notes are Japanese yuzu, grapefruit, nutmeg, pepper, sandalwood, cedar, leather, musk. Cool bottle too - it doesn't have a top cap, you just turn the spray to the left and open the release, and the spray itself has a leather button on top that's always pleasant to touch.

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

Distinguished and sophisticated! The woodsy notes are interwoven with oak moss and lavender, then blended with oriental flowery-musky accord. Elegant. Long-lasting.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

This scent is like Rocabar gone hippy. Imagine a person in his young Aquarius days, long hair, smile, beads, spliff and The Byrds - it's Michael, then the very same guy in 90-s, formal suit, older, wiser, good credit history, house, cognac and opera - you get the Rocabar.

Denim by Denim

I remember this scent from the 80-s when it was still around - a somewhat leathery chypre with citrus opening notes, flowery heart and musky-leather drydown. It would be interesting to come across the bottle again.

VIP for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Mossy, musky floral chypre. Not bad at all, but quite rare nowadays.

Wings for Men by Wings

Floral oriental along the lines of Eternity, but with intriguing note that remind me wild berries. And stays forever!

cK one "Red Hot Edition" by Calvin Klein

Smells just a tad more fruity than original one to my nose.

Gillette Cool Wave by Gillette Series

Fresh chypre with citrus top notes and woody-mossy base. Cool, clean and masculine. I often come across people who wear Cool Wave or something like that.

Gillette Pacific Light by Gillette Series

Fresh and light scent with citrus top notes, herbaceous and floral heart and mossy base. Pacific Light was created by an advanced technology called "head space analysis" which is widely used today and allows perfumers to extract the aroma of a flower or plant while it is a living organism.

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

It smells of nothing. Pure air. Great for mixing with heavier fragrances - it gives your old favorites an unexpected twist.

Java for Men by Franck Oliver

The concept was to create the scent of some distant exotic islands, hence the name. OK, let's see - top: grapefruit, orange, lemon, nutmeg, wormwood. Heart: geranium, insence, lavender oil, cedar nuts. The base: patchouli, musk, vanilla.

DNA for Men (original) by Bijan

Very potent oriental scent. The drydown of oakmoss and vanilla is excellent, and the top notes are enticing to me. The deodorant is not quite up to speed, smelling a bit different and being a powder type (i.e. flakey white stuff, except it's more of a tan). The body wash is quite nice though.
    The blue spiral (not quite a double helix IMO though) bottle is meant to represent a molecular strand of DNA.

28th December, 2002

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

wonderful, complex scent. Similar to Havana, or more so to Havana Reserva. Does not have the heavy Bay Rum notes, Montana is more powdery on the drydown. Only have the juice, no other products in the line. I wonder if they make anything else?
    The bottle is quite a work of art, even they way the cap comes off is a unique twist.

28th December, 2002

Aspen for Men by Coty

A piney scent, definitely envokes the mountains, it's well named. My dad's signature scent, but not something I would wear. In fact, I gave mine that I received as gifts to him. Deodorant is quite potent and true to the juice.
    Bottle is dark pine/wintogreen in color. A good match to the name.

Avatar by Coty

With all the notes I like in here, this scent should be great, but it does not appeal to me. Very common and indistinct. If this is, as the name suggests, a physical incarnation of God, I'll become an atheist!
    The bottle is artsy, like the angle of it. Too bad the scent is not!

Gravity by Coty

This scent will always hold a special place in my heart. I received two promotions while wearing this scent. Also won a tournament for a hobby of mine while wearing it. It smells like victory to me.
    The scent is quite nice actually, I know of nothing quite like it. Probably a woody oriental with lavender. Have had positive comments aplenty as well. Never used the deodorant though I did find that Gillette's "Drive" scented deodorant did not clash with the smell.
    The bottle is what first attracted me to the scent. Saw a television commercial and had to have it. The beautiful shade of blue and the shape just screamed "modern"!

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Always reminds me of the seventies and eighties when I smell it. Quite unique, but overbearing. If it smelled to me like Fahrenheit, as it does to some, it would get more wearing than once every 500 days. I just tire of it after a few moments, and it lasts and lasts. Note until the end basenotes do I like it, and by then it's too late.

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

This scent is dominated by clove. Top, mid and base notes all seem to have it. Cucumber, and leaf notes (ivy and mastic leaf) are in their as well as some woods (sandalwood). It's very green and spicy. Not like anything else I've worn, but it's not for me. Duration is average, not as strong as scents such as Opium, Fahrenheit, Obsession, etc. Not weak either.
    The bottle is a masterpiece though. the detail on the tree engraving is superb, even gnarls are visible and my bottle is only a mini!

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

This is one musk that doesn't do it for me, and I love musks. It's clean alright, but at the expense of good scent. The first time I wore it I kept waiting for it to evolve, but it didn't. One of the only colognes I've received numerous complaints on. It should be called Musk, Extra Light. The deodorant is mild and long lasting, smelling like the liquid.
    The bottle is nothing special and I hate the orange coloring of the cap and label!