Latest Perfume Reviews

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

Smelled objectively, without the packaging, this is an old fashioned feminine perfume closely similar to Chanel No.5. But in its context it is a well accepted and popular male line, one of the most successful German brands and probably few make the connection.

Eau Rose by Diptyque

I smell the rose immediately upon spraying: It’s a clean rose with underlying bergamot and lychee notes, creating a full rose accord which is quite nuanced, full, and very enjoyable without being too strong… The rose subtly changes as the fragrance proceeds, getting even cleaner and lighter with a tinge of a geranium edge to it: this more diminutive rose I enjoy even more than the first rose accord. The remainder of the fragrance is a silky rose / musk – very light and clean… an excellent skin scent.

Eau Rose is an uncomplicated, clean and light rose scent. Though not a soliflore, it comes across to me with an aura of delicate, feminine minimalism. Very nice.

L.12.12 Blanc / White by Lacoste

The initial accord is a soft, freshish, plastic aroma that is pretty much enjoyable. It’s a clean, texture-scent of the kind that is available in all kinds of products now days. The accord is principally accomplished by a fresh, light, almost-creamy cedar and cardamom combination on a light, creamy floral from the heart. The translucent, creamy cedar is the dominant note throughout the run of the fragrance, even though the base where it joins with vetiver and suede to continue the smooth linearity.

L.12.12 Blanc is an adequate scent. Its fresh, synthetic ambiance is pleasant and non-obtrusive, and it actually projects a little more than one would think for such a quiet, fresh scent, but it a little short on longevity, which is not a surprise for such a quiet, fresh…

Perry Ellis Cologne for Men by Perry Ellis

Yes, this is a Bleu de Chanel rip off. The opening smells pretty much like BdC, but it isn’t as rich or complex, and it fades into the mid-notes much more quickly. The middle accord is thinner, a bit more herbal than BdC. And the bass gives me significantly more pepper than BdC has, as well as significantly less length of performance.

This is not a bad scent, but its accords are not as rich and complex as is Bleu de Chanel; nor does this one come anywhere near the performance of Bleu de Chanel, after all, what is remarkable about BdC is its ability to carry a quality aqua-aromatic scent for a full six hours. I’d be lucky to get two hours out of this one.

Still, if cost is important, one could do worse than this Perry Ellis offering.

Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

Fairly generic opening: the grapefruit and cedar are quite common in openings and the synthetic atmosphere is also common on cheaper fragrances. The exception is the cranberry, which provides a contrast to the more typical grapedfruit / cedar opening. It’s almost an adequate opening for its price level, and certainly nothing special about it, especially because it morphs to the heart notes very quickly.

The combination of saffron, lavender, and sage in the heart is so typical of the drug store plus scents today, especially because a super sweet amber is drifting up from the base. Except for the sage and amber, I can’t separate out the lavender or saffron; and all combined, these heart notes make it not worth the effort to individualize. To maintain a consistency, an un-obnoxious synthetic aura inhabits the heart notes, while the heart notes fade into the base at an exceeding fast pace.

The base is dominated by the already familiar amber combined with an artificial wood note which I assume is the redwood. The coffee is there lightly in the background but basically has no effect.

I’m not sure why I went out of my way to review Polo Red. I’d guess it has something to do which my abiding love for the original Polo green and my grudging respect for Polo Double Black and Polo Supreme Oud. But Polo Red is simply a typical modern, drugstore-level synthetic-sweet mess with astonishingly poor longevity.

L'Homme Idéal Cologne by Guerlain

L’Homme Ideal Cologne strikes me as being different from most Guerlains. It is a bright, pleasant citrus-almond confection that’s a little shallow, a little plastic, but quite a good performer. It lacks depth and complexity; it presents a superfluous personality, yet there is something about it that makes it likable. Oddly enough, the opening reminds me a bit of Terre d’Hermes Parfum (probably due to the orange) – not quite as good, but still quite wearable.

The middle retains the orange note while melding with an almost tasty almond-Neroli accord – nothing dramatic or even notable but very easy to live with.

The base, in its own way, is the best level – an unremarkable combination of white musk and vetiver that somehow manages to present a decent sillage and a winning longevity.

I find L’Homme Ideal Cologne more desirable than Guerlain Homme and its flankers. L’Homme Ideal is pleasant and wearable, having just enough character and authenticity to earn a mild thumbs up.

GF Ferré Bluemusk by Gianfranco Ferré

In the top and the heart level, Blue Musk has enough aquatics in its primarily fruity – floral structure to make it qualify as both an aquatic and a musky fruity floral. Blue Musk is one of the more natural smelling aquatics that I’ve encountered – Probably the one I would buy if I were at all interested in owning another entrant in the aquatic category. The opening is definitely and pleasantly fruity, and the middle is definitely and pleasantly floral; and both fruit and florals are presented in a rather traditional blue musk accord somewhat reminiscent of the good old Versace Blue Jeans. Blue musk is a decently constructed fragrance which boasts good sillage and longevity and excellent adaptability – three fragrances in one – what a deal.

Rose Oud by By Kilian

The opening is pretty much the whole story: Rose, saffron, and oud… Although it certainly doesn’t win any awards for creativity, it is a quality accord that is almost painfully beautiful in a By Killian sort of way... Not a surprise. This one is perhaps as well done as any rose-saffron-oud fragrances I’ve smelled… The quality of the combined accord is excellent, but I have difficulty discovering the quality of the individual notes. A problem I have is that I’ve smelled so many of this combination of notes that I’ve become jaded… I find nothing special here to separate it from the rest of its ilk. And yet it is an admirably presented fragrance.

Not much changes from that first sniff… there some are variations in the development as Rose Oud continues, but they to not call to be pointed out. The entire run of the fragrance is a beautifully assembled, balanced accord of quality rose, saffron, and (artificial) oud. Its sillage performance is easily adjustable; its wearablity is remarkable; and its longevity is more than adequate.

This is one fine fragrance.

Love by By Kilian

Love (…don’t be shy): Heavy duty bergamot, Neroli, and pink pepper opening… so heavy duty that, instead of citrus, it comes across as a strong, smooth spice accord with a soft resinous twist – the uniqueness of the accord is accomplished through the use of the oil form of the constituents which results in an accord that projects depth, silkiness, character, and sophistication.

The remaining actions of the fragrance seem to rest too much on the laurels achieved by the opening. The florals – jasmine, rose, and iris – do appear, but not enough to augment the waning power of the opening. And, as the beginning accord weakens, the fragrance loses as much interest as it loses potency. It needs those florals to keep up the drama and complexity. The resins of the base also fail to provide needed interest: I cannot find the civet, and the labdanum is much too discreet – this is not the time or place for transparency. The white musk is white musk so it does what is expected of white musk – very little.

Love began as a potently sweet caramelization. Its initial drama was achieved by the combination of the depth and strength of its vegetal oils. It was suggestive of resin and was unembarrassed in its projection. The promise of this impressive opening, however, has not been carried through the remainder of the fragrance… As soon as the opening began to weaken, it had not a substantial enough augmentation of middle tones of florals and resins, and this fragrance with its cheeky name, became just a rather ordinary long-lasting caramel skin scent that would have a difficult time competing with a typical designer gourmand.

Armani Eau de Nuit Oud by Giorgio Armani

Smooth, restrained opening even though its elements have the potential to be potent… bit I sprayed lightly. I get primarily pink pepper, cardamom, iris, saffron, and a shadowy oud note; and even though the combination is rather generic and identifiably synthetic, its quiet balance and warmth makes it a plus accord for me.

The middle level is a let down from the opening: the spices from the top and base flatten out with the addition a very dusty iris note, so the heart accord turns out to have only powdery, dusty spice-cabinet ambiance. It would help if I could smell the pyramid-listed rose or geranium, but, the only floral that is clear to me is the iris. Even the barely-present oud note doesn’t bring much interest.

In the base, along with the exhausted oud, I get a modicum of tonka and saffron... This accord is no more than a pleasant skin scent.

Eau de Nuit Oud seems to me to be a genuine Armani product, and that is not necessarily a bad thing… but in this case I was expecting much more than it delivers. It’s certainly is not an offensive scent, and I do respect its discretion in the beginning, but the scent kept fading both in strength and interest. Its longevity is unacceptable.

Spirited by Perry Ellis

The opening vaguely reminds me of DK’s Red Delicious except that I actually enjoy the top notes in this one, where I thought DK’s Red Delicious was horribly synthetic. The apple accord in Spirited is the dominant characteristic of the fragrance: a definite apple note… not screechy… tolerably synthetic… and the ginger adds a lot to the apple accord. The opening has perhaps the most sillage of the levels, and it also exhibits decent longevity.

The heart notes are rather generic, but in a non-annoying way… I can’t differentiate the sage from the opening’s ginger and, as usual for me, I don’t smell the pepper. Also, I don’t really notice the sandalwood, but still, the middle accord is enjoyably mediocre.

The base’s wood notes are quite synthetic, but in a non- annoying way. It grows sweeter as it goes along. It has fairly good lasting power, but its projection is below normal.

Spirited reminds me of many other Perry Ellis’ fragrances in that it is pleasant, uninspired, and competent. It’s meant for the younger crowd and, is an ok fragrance for its price.

Villain for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Slightly plastic, vaguely citric/spice (pepper, cardamom) opening. It’s a rather textured cardboard-type opening that smells quite okay… it doesn’t, however, separate itself from several dozen similar openings in similar fragrances. The heart is herbal / spicy (basil, sage, nutmeg) and just as generically anonymous as the opening. The base also claims very little differentiation... I cannot even separate the notes out from the base – it’s a very common list of notes for the base – musk, amber, cedar, sandalwood – and it, too, is excessively generic…

Ultra-boring accords, super-uninteresting composition, and incredibly-indifferent performance. The name, Villain, is a complete misnomer.
rbaker Show all reviews

Pure Soap by Demeter Fragrance Library

The name is apt: it is indeed a clean soapy impression that this creation exudes: laundry-style clean.

In the early stages an airy peach accord is present. Later on whiffs of chemical floral notes, mainly iris and oleander, come and go. White musks also greet me in the later phase, and towards the end a fresh and contemporary light powderiness makes an appearance.

I get soft sillage, adequate projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

Pleasant as a concept and in execution, the drawbacks are just too evident: this is as generic and as synthetic as it gets. And unexciting too. 2.5/5.

Orchidea by Louis Cardin

Orchidea
Orchidea is another Louis Cardin's attempt to follow the comfortable route of successful market: combine a tad of the classic Tom Ford Black Orchid's "edible milky/semi-gourmandish/humid orchid" with a twist of the fruitier Black Orchid Voler de Fleur (with a soft whiff of hesperidic medicinal) and you will have this powerful spicy floral concoction. Cinnamon and patchouli are olfactory stars. A tad of honeyed chocolate? Super feminine and creamy-spicy with a sensual temperament though not particularly original.

Fumabat by Couteau de Poche

This definitely smells vintage in a sort of 1970's way. It's not quite a headshop--it's more sophisticated than that--but it hints at herbs and patchouli and darkness in a rather attractive fashion. I think the smokey frankincense gives this fragrance some lift, while the muted carnation tips it over into the unisex category. The whole thing sort of winks at leather, in the same way that it flirts at all of its other notes; it simply refuses to be tied down to one firm category of scent. It's skittishness makes it interesting to me; I simply can't quite tell what I'm smelling from one moment to the next. Is it inky or herby? Incense-y or soapy? It's somehow all of these and more. I think males of all stripes may love this one, as well as females who enjoy old school orientals and funky scents like Bandit.

Anjali by Réminiscence

I'd give this 3 and a half stars. It's good! Very dirty, animalic. Darkly sweet at first. The tuberose is prominent here. Think Nuit de Tubereuse by L'artisan Parfumeur. Pretty darn similar. Tonka bean, musk, and vanilla are the only other players here...

Aoud Violet by Mancera

What a beautiful treatment of violet.

I'd say this happy scent will beautifully correspond with any joyous event in your life.

I realize that may sound somewhat corny, but this is just really nice stuff!

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Gold standard grapefruit.
Jean-Claude's reference haiku,
His most cited work.

Bigelow Elixir Black Pepper Cologne No. 1586 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

A black pepper riff
On White's milky theme with some
Not bad Fauxssiewood.
rbaker Show all reviews

Zombie for Him by Demeter Fragrance Library

The aroma of wet soil in the forest after the rain - that is what hits my most from the start. It is very well executed and convincing.

In the drydown the impression of mushroom, mildew and wet hay is added, playing with the wet soil motif and complementing it very nicely.

The base gradually develops a themes of soft and gentle mossy notes, a moss that is quite different form the usual oak moss one might expect here. Towards the end a pleasant woodsy undertone grows in strength and eventually becomes the dominant force in the olfactory symphony.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

This is an autumnal beauty: the olfactory image of the forest grounds after the rain. Maybe a bit synthetic, but original and very well conceptualised and crafted. It performs very well too. Great for gardening or nature trips. 3.75/5.

Essence No. 7 : Neroli by Elie Saab

Stardate 20171115:

A well constructed orange blossom fragrance with some musk. Simple comfort like mac and cheese.

Tribute Attar by Amouage

Stardate 20171115:

I was looking forward to this. I think my expectations were way too high as this did not meet them.
Smoke and cedar without the dryness. And after a while rose shows up.
A very well constructed attar but I do not feel the urge to wear it. No chemistry with me.

Sì Le Parfum by Giorgio Armani

This is a truly beautiful creation and there are simply not enough superlatives to describe it properly; but I'll give it a try.

I don't usually subscribe to following gender designations in fragrance and I will mostly try anything at least once. However, on my masculine skin I have never been able to comfortably wear either Si (original), or the EDT or Intense variations. I did discover the wonderful Si Parfum Oil (that only came in a 30ml bottle with a dropper applicator) and I immediately fell in love and purchased it.

This Si Le Parfum is yet another variation on the original, but at least in my experience is an entirely new creation. Like the Parfum Oil, this is much richer, stronger and deeper than any previous versions but it does differ with the presence of the incense. This adds a beautiful smokey/spicy aspect that marries very well with the fruit, patchouli and vanilla/benzoin. Despite the overall effect being somewhat like a Christmas pudding with lashings of vanilla custard, this never strays into gourmand territory for me. I think it's all down to the incense which keeps this sophisticated and a bit regal.

The longevity is outstanding, lasting at least 14 hours on skin & much longer on clothes. Like a lot of Parfum concentrations, this doesn't offend but leaves a very nice cloud around the wearer. Others will certainly smell this on you, but it somehow seems gentle. Surprisingly for such a small bottle, the sprayer actually projects a good blast of the fragrance; so apply with caution because it is still potent stuff.

For those that care about the presentation, you will not be disappointed with Si Le Parfum! It comes in a heavy 'suede like' fabric sheath and the small yet heavy Italian crystal glass bottle and stopper are truly lovely.

5 stars out of 5 and 2 big thumbs up.

Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli

50's or 60's sample I am told.
Full blast of Adelehydic Acetone start, like experiencing No.5 first time in the 70's. For me the Civet is folded into the Bouquet Floral, Aromatics and presents in the background a gentle nod to the Leather of Peau d'Espagne. In front is a wonderful musky Laundry soap buoyed by the Oakmoss and Bergamot.
I get a pulses of Honey Animalic, on occasion, that really isn't pissy, however draws sensuously, to the Feminine. Funny, that not many people note, the Ambergris Sea (Salty Oysterlike)breeze that brings the Perfume to some buoyancy sans the scratchiness of Synthetic. There is just enough Patchouli to make this Genderless.
Really though, this is the kind of perfume, that on Feminine skin, melds with the natural Muskiness and has me feeling as a Stallion. My wife will be testing this! Yummy!

Exotic Essence by David Yurman

Soft. Mellow. Earthy. The peach and rose are quickly buried by patchouli, musk, amber, and a bit of vanilla. A great day fragrance. It doesn't last on my skin. But, it is lovely.

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

Tomboy temptations.
Clear, white-sugar floral with
Poachable pepper.

Dragonfly by Zoologist Perfumes

I only had a tiny bit to try. I felt compelled to write about it anyway. Dragonfly is so delicate, serene, magical even. It actually reminds me of a fresh rain. Beautiful blossoms sprinkled with raindrops. Warm sun. A fresh breeze. A very well-composed fragrance. A watercolor painting of delight.

Will have to procure another sample or decant to experience this again. A full bottle may be in order, in the future.

Café Tuberosa by Atelier Cologne

Café Tuberosa is a white floral with a touch of vanilla and a slight oriental twist. Initially it's bright, and that is also when the coffee notes come to the fore. The coffee is lush and smells like a coffeeshop, rather than earthy beans. The other half of the accord is the tuberose, which is uncharacteristically meek, lost amidst the coffee, the vanilla and a hint of rose. In fact, I would definitely not presume this to be a tuberose fragrance. After a couple of hours it seems that we have left the coffee shop. At this stage what's left on my skin is a not so interesting blend of white florals, coffee and vanilla. Sillage is moderate, and duration is reasonable at over five hours on my skin.

I find Café Tuberosa to be stylistically similar to Intense Cafe, Cafe Rose and Noir de Noir, though it is brighter and more summery than those. It can be thought of as the coffee and white floral counterpart of Intense Cafe, but it is more elegant and definitely not as rich. I am not moved by Café Tuberosa because of a couple of points: I'm not sure this 'coffee and tuberose' pairing works as effortlessly as 'coffee and rose'; secondly, it seems a bit too safe and bland, especially after the first two hours.

Is 2017 the year of the tuberose? It might seem so, with Gabrielle, Bloom, Twilly and Café Tuberosa. While Gabrielle is most underwhelming, Café Tuberosa does offer something a little different and is definitely worth a spray or five.

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

A lovely floral oriental. Rich combination of hyacinth, lily, honeysuckle, rose, jasmine, myrrh, and Lydia broom. Great for early spring or late fall when you want something with flowers. Deep, dark flowery creation. Timeless.

Oland by Avon

Side by side with the excellent 1975 Etienne Aigner this scent may seem Old Fashioned, however the structure, colour and statement is similar enough to have it share a relationship. Perhaps Olander is an older brother who was farmed out to the country in his youth lacking some little bit of Sophistication of the younger.
The Aigner is slicker,rounded and carries a richer more complex drydown and polish. A scent of the well-heeled Leather set City set.
Oland is well worth a try, as it trades rather inexpensively.

The Aigner is almost extinct.