Fragrance Reviews from July 2002

X-Centric by Dunhill

X-tra boring! --Dunhill is appealing to the masses on this debockle. It's not a bad scent at all, but it's neither original OR memorable in the least. Run-of-the-mill scent; comes out fresh, fades fast.

02 July, 2002 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2003)

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

What we have with Pour Monsieur is the definitive Gentlemen's fragrance from times gone by. Its no secret that this is the first men's fragrance from Chanel, but its a classic. It starts off rather sweet indeed, the neroli and lemon mixing quickly. The common scent through the day is a very distinguished but sweet one, neither modern nor aged. Its worth getting the Concentrate as this lasts longer, as the only fault of this beauty is that it fades very quickly.

Jako by Lagerfeld

Jako is definitely a flashback to the days of musky men's colognes. None of this unisex stuff here, it immediately smacks of a man's scent through and through. It starts off with a smacking burst of bergamot. This can fool the undiscerning man trying it out at a counter, making you think its a cheap mix. But give it a moment or two to settle. As it mixes into your skin it starts to emit the true scent. The Divan and Rosewood come out clean, and its this that stays through the day. Without fail the women take a second look - this is not an CK One washing up smell! The best is reserved for the moments when your body heat picks up. The second release of the scent, mixed with your own heat, gives off what one can only assume is the Musky base notes of sandalwood and leather. This is definitely one for the Gentlemen. Give it a go, a small bottle, but don't be put off with the initial smart of the spray, let it settle.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium pour Homme is definitely a fragrance for the fan of the spicy oriental family of scents. It starts off as strikingly sweet, which is perfect for those morning blues. It soon calms down to a very spicy yet subtly sweet fragrance that continues throughout the day without fail. The bonus is, if sprayed onto pulse points, as your blood pumps faster and hotter, the fragrance kicks up again, and this time it comes back in a spicy-sweet aura. Its lovely how the ingredients manage to mix into another burst of scent, and the girls often wonder where that sweetness is coming from. Definitely one to try, and if it works for you, keep at it!

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

Having a sanguine nature I decided to try Cristobal after the rave reviews. Well it didn't hold up to all the scrutiny. It smells an awful lot like Rochas Man, but I prefer Rochas Man to this one. To each his own.

12 July, 2002

Céline pour Homme by Céline

This is wonderful. It's similar to Salvatore Ferragamo, just in my opinion so much better. Take the plunge and smell good.

12 July, 2002

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

I am loving Minotaure. It puts me in the mind of Roma Uomo. This is such a warm, romantic fragrance and I am getting frequent compliments. I find it hard to fathom that the production has been discontinued. Guess I'll have to buy a couple of bottles and keep them on ice

18 July, 2002

Christian's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I am a big Cologne fan and have been since it first came out!There's something that I really love about this elusive scent... on me it has a really pleasant green note that is deceptively long lasting.Thanks for the post.I know what I'll be wearing tomorrow as I haven't tried it since last winter. It should be great in hot weather!I believe that the line now includes the body/hair shampoo, at least I think I saw it a couple weeks ago but I was in a rush so I'll look into it. I also wish they had the deoderant to complete the experience. Ìs it soap? Is it deoderant? I like that!! So true! It's one of those scents that makes you wonder and keep on guessing. I like that. The more you wear it, the more you like it and like you said the more you get it!

19 July, 2002

jimzcali's avatar

Geir by Geir Ness

I just received my Geir Eau D' Parfum from Geir Ness. I would have to put this Eau D' Parfum on top of my list. This Eau D' Parfum captures crisp norweigan mountains, blended with herbs, wetwood and natural oils. You can actually smell the wetwood and it leaves a very distinctive and sensual scent, that holds it's barrier for a very long period of time. I can honestly say that my co-workers, friends and family have all complimented me on how this cologne sets off a wonderful scent.. I would recommend it for those who enjoy a Eau D' Parfum at a very reasonable price that will last a full work day at the office, or an evening out in the town......Try it you won't be dissappointed.. Good day.

25 July, 2002