Fragrance Reviews from September 2002

Francois Blais's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

This is a simple, but great aromatic fougere scent, great for the spring and fall. Warm and kind of fruity, the tobacco/amber note is very nice and gives it depth.

06 September, 2002 (Last Edited: 07 September, 2002)

keoniahlo's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

For you Creed fans out there, get this: I detect a hint of Tabarome in Polo Blue! Yes, after wearing it for a few days, it finally hit me--there is definite resemblence to Creed Tabarome. Now that I've said that, you'll say, "Ahhh, that's what it reminds me of...Tabarome with a twist of aquatic freshness".

08 September, 2002

Bel Ami by Hermès

What a beautiful scent. A nice Chypre/Floral/Leather scent is nothing like Anteaus very very different the leather notes are so nicely soften.
    The scent does NOT have the lethal edge that Anteaus which can hit you over the head like a bat. The scent is very subtle stays close to the skin. It is unique how the leather is blended with smokey like notes not a heavy notes but you can smell it in the background which reminds me of oak leafs being raked and burned on cool crisp autumn day.
    A very classy scent and I am totally glad to have added this to my collection. Just a while ago I smelled from the bottle big mistake, I'm sure this is what turned me off to it years ago you need to smell this one on the skin.
    The scent is so subtle that it is wearable for both dress and casual in cool fall weather. The bottle I received from Scentiments is fresh stock, I can tell by the box.

Paradox for Men Blue by Jacomo

Paradox is a very interesting fragrance. The only other scent that comes close to it is Nemo by Cacharel.
    Paradox has a very oceanic note to it but the base or platform of the scent is a woody oriental.
    The scent is clean fresh and clean but not by citrus notes or the over done marine notes found in scents, its more with florals while it is also deep oriental semisweet woody. It is a scent that stays medium to the skin meaning no one would have to be on top of you to smell it.
    I personally love the scent and give kudos to Jacomo to producing such a new millennium scent for men.

Russlan's avatar

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Smells crude, rude and dangerous. Cool stuff, I like it a lot.

Elements by Hugo Boss

Elements is my best all round scent, it is appropriate for any occasion. But I go off it a bit in the cold weather (as I do most of the very fresh-fougere scents). It is very long lasting on me. The way it's fresh notes hits one's nose, is somewhat reminiscent of the way that Platinum Egoiste does the same. However, one really has to wear this scent to test it properly, as a back of the hand or wrist testing would probably leave you unimpressed.

And it is the one scent that I have received more compliments about, than all the other ones put together.

11th September, 2002 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2008)

anak's avatar

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

Intuition is cheap smelling and awful. It is too sweet and lacks complexity on the dry down. If you dig this genre of scent Kiton Napoli or Allure are way better. Allure has a richer more pleasant dry down. Allure finishes smelling a bit like caramel. Intuition finishes smelling sickly sweet. a friend of mine kept on about how bad I smelled when i wore Intuition one time.

13 September, 2002

Touch for Men by Fred Hayman

First off love the bottle! A clear rectangle bottle like Romance For Men with black T cap top. The front of the bottle has raised red like wax seal with the mark of the House of Fred Hayman. The jus is a deep amber color. Just show how simple a bottle can look yet be sophisticated.
    The scent is very unique, I think I would classify it as fourgere/oriental ? I don't know!
    It open up with heady Lavender/Orange Flower notes almost smells like Brut opening notes.
    Then kicks in the steady heavy amber notes like pancake syrup.
    Right now it smells like Root Beer on me. I think the idea on this scent was to go for a classic type scent as in the same frame as Pour Un Homme from Caron?

13 September, 2002

imranlilani's avatar

1881 by Cerruti

Its very fresh and long lasting almost remains for whole day. Sophasticated and sober. Very mature fragrance.

15 September, 2002

Stuey's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I REALLY dislike Angel for Men. My brother told me he loved it so I went out on my search and was dismayed when I smelled it. It smelled almost identical to Animale Animale, which is 1/3 the price. I find the chocolate and uncommon licorice I guess notes in it stifling and thick, and when I go to work I can't take being near someone who is wearing this stuff. I hope Cologne by Mugler is nicer.

16 September, 2002

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

The great smell of water and sea-weed. I went from not thinking much of this scent, to it's growing on me, to now thinking it was just too subtle for me to have properly appreciated initially.
    Of the various aquatic/oceanic type scents, Kenzo is the longest lasting I've come across. It's unique fresh scent is at it's best after about two hours' wear.
    And the Kenzo aftershave balm lasts as long as the best of them (i.e. right up there with Joop and Boss 6).

18 September, 2002

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

I like this spicy scent, and others around me seem to like it even more. But by the end of the work day, it sometimes starts to cloy on me.
    Blv is the longest lasting of the Bvlgari scents I've tried.

18 September, 2002 (Last Edited: 07 February, 2011)

CJ's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

My signature scent. It is one of the classiest, most luxurious scents imaginable. It is the definitive oriental perfume: sweet, woody, and spicy. The Eau de Parfum is well worth the cost as it lasts forever, and also comes in a refillable metal case which holds the bottle. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't love the smell of Jaipur.

23 September, 2002

Joshaugustt's avatar

Crave by Calvin Klein

Guys, there's nothing to crave about this scent. It's so light and airy, that is has no real distinct fragrance of its own. And even if it did, this cologne had absolutely no staying power. What is Calvin Klein thinking about these days...he's sure not thinking about creating quick classics as in past years. Save your money for something worthwhile!

23 September, 2002

Ambre Canelle by Creed

A very fun, clean, barber-shop like scent. Sweet. Yet, on the negative side, it sort of reminds me of Paul Sebastian PS.

Verveine Narcisse by Creed

When I think of Creed Vintage fragrances I think of unusual and unique and Verveine Narcisse is just that. In the men's fragrance realm I've smelled nothing like it. It is just the right balance of floral and greenery. It reminds me of the kind of surprise that Cerutti 1881 packs, yet it smells nothing like that fragrance. You'll just have to try it and understand.

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Probably one of the most under-rated Creed scents out there. The drydown, in fact, loosley reminds me of Parfum Nicolai's New York and a bit of Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur. A very nice, classy light scent, although I'm not a real big fan of ambery drydowns this one is good.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

My first Creed scent. Very sophisticated and potent. Lasts quite a while and varies significantly from opening to base notes, which is a great quality in my opinion. Definitely a "night out" fragrance.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a fantastic, long-lasting, semi-gourmond scent! I highly recommend this scent for those who like Rochas Man, Hanae Mori, JPG Le Male, A*Men and such. It shares some relation to the aforementioned fragrances, but is still quite different from the all. Defintely worth the money, but go easy with it as it's quite potent.

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

While I typically steer clear of citrus dominant scents, this one has just enough woods in it to make it more long-lasting and refreshing. VERY good for summer I should think.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Besides Green Irish Tweed this is my all-time favorite Creed scent. A rich, gentlemanly scent full of gentle spice and woods. Very classy and long-lasting, which can be a rare commodity in some Creed scents.

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Accutely light and sweet. A very positive scent that is plainly unisex and very enjoyable. Probably the best honeysuckle scent I've encountered.

Comme des Garçons Cologne by Comme des Garçons

In my opinion a much more wearable scent than the EDP. Lighter, still long-lasting, still sufficiently spicy, but w/o the almost cloying nature.
    Very good stuff.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

Christmas potpouri in a bottle. But I like that and that's why I own it. Sometimes you just gotta smell like a spice rack.

Derby by Guerlain

A VERY potent leather/chypre scent. To my liking, a much too stringent chypre. Perhaps the drydown is more likeable, but the opening sure isn't.

Epicéa by Creed

A very dry, spicy fragrance. I love this scent in the winter as it seems indicative of a more cold, sterile climate. While many spicy scents are either sweet or musky, this one is quite an original as I've never smelled anything else quite like it.

Erolfa by Creed

If marine notes are your thing you'll love this. Probably only Motu by CSP beats this one. Very open and fresh without smelling overtly citrusy.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

My absolute all-time favorite scent. It was the quest for this fragrance that drove me into my fragrance hobby full-time. I'm never diappointed when I wear this fragrance, although I will say that there are more appropriate times and occasions for it. In other words, its not a "wear anytime scent". THE most long-lasting Creed fragrance I own and I own over twenty.

Green Valley by Creed

I can understand why this is reminiscent of golfing as it is a lightly musky, sweet green scent that doesn't overdo the green part. It lasts well too.

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

This scent is identical to Santa Maria Novella's Melagrano. A very fresh, barbershop-like quality, but nothing that is overwhelmingly unique.