Fragrance Reviews from January 2003

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Creed's Chevrefeuille is an awesome men's floral based on honeysuckle and mint - fresh and light...not sweet as I would have thought.

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

Definitely a young men's scent, Claiborne for Men is, like many in this line, a simple scent that neither challenges the wearer or those around him... I gave the remainder of my bottle to a friend in the navy as he would have more use for it than I.

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

I think of the holidays whenever I wear CDG 2. It's an absolutely fabulous scent that challenges the wearer...I smell something different everytime I wear it - sweet, spicy, berries, potpourri...they're all there!!!

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Eau d'Hadrien is a staple in my summer fragrance wardrobe. Its light citrus notes are a perfect compliment to bright sunny days in the Bay Area.
    In other times of the year, I often use it to "brighten" up heavier/headier scents more appropriate for fall or winter. Truly versatile, Eau d'Hadrien is well worth its asking price.

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

A beautiful blend of citrus accords melting into peppery and woody base notes. The verbena, mint and basil are the surprise in this scent as it creates a freshness that recalls temperate days spent in a garden at the height of summer.

Eau Fraîche by Caron

Citrus-y fresh yes!, but Eau Fraiche has that soapy quality that I loathe in fragrances. I thought it would be a fair substitute for Eau Forte (which I loved, but could not find), but I was terribly mistaken. Eau Fraiche has an insipid note that I could not determine, but wish not to encounter again.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Man!!! I love this scent. It always surprises me how much this scent often elicits positive compliments. Difficult to describe, Green Irish Tweed is unlike anything that I've worn previously.

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Herrera for Men was my first "signature scent." A grand fougere, this scent is a classic. It'll always hold a special place in my memory as one that accompanied me to many a wonderful time painting the town red. Plus, I love the whole "dots" campaign.

Joseph Abboud by Joseph Abboud

Abboud was among one of the first EDT's I've ever bought, and it remains among the most distinctive in my collection. The initial burst of citrus notes is nicely blended with the more lingering warm, wood notes of the drydown. It's a very beautiful scent that reminds me of classic Italian blends.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Once I heard that Millesime Imperial has notes of watermelon in it, I had to run and try it. With that as the head note I can determine, MI (in my opinion) is THE Creed base scent, which means it's easy to wear and great for layering. By far, this is the most versatile scent that Creed offers.

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

I remember buying this back when I was in high school, I guess I knew what I was doing back then. I recall this scent to have that wonderful quality of elegant blending...but it's the drydown that will capture the wearer. If you can find it, grab it...it's a classic scent.

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

I was very intrigued about Sung Homme when I learned that he was a Chinese designer, but didn't know what to expect from his fragrance. Wildly surprised, I found his EDT to be difficult to approach...it's not for the timid. The top notes is a mysterious blend of citrus and herbs. The heart notes are spicy, infused with lavender. The base notes are earthy and long-lasting.
    I found this scent too strong for me, but one that I am surprised to find amazing on others.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I love the tobacco notes on Tabarome...it's not dark nor brooding, it's simply unique. That familiar Creed scent is there, but it stays in the background, giving the tobacco and tea notes center stage. I'd say this is the classiest/richest Creed fragrance I own.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Probably the first fragrance I fell in love with. Tuscany is quite simply beautiful...masculine, evocative, classic.

Vétiver (original) by Carven

Not a great scent by any means. Carven's Vetiver (at least the modern version) is a far cry from being a memorable scent. As a big fan of vetiver-based fragrances, I was sorely disappointed that this "classic" was not as potent as it could be; the vetiver is much too toned down to be discernible and its strength leaves much to be desired.

Vétyver Haiti by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This is vetiver??? I was totally surprised by this scent...as it did not have any resemblance to any of the many vetiver-based fragrances in my wardrobe. This is probably a good thing for me since I have way too many of this type of fragrance to begin with. Nevertheless, CSP's version is a spicy, woody, creamy rendition of the classic men's fragrance. I'm still undecided about it, but it's definitely unlike anything I've ever experienced.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

The name says it all...Weekend is perfect for those casual, lounge around the house, strolls along city walks kind of days (i.e., weekends). An easy scent to wear, Weekend is an effervescent citrus fragrance.
    My sister gave me my first bottle and I finished it within months...very nice indeed.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

Effervescent and bright, Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse is one of the best citrus-based scents I've experienced/owned. I love that it doesn't have that Creed scent in the background...it stands all on its own. It's one I don't mind refreshing throughout the day (yeah, ZMP's lasting powers aren't great) because it's that great on me!!!

Scent by Costume National

I may be way off-base here, but I swear Scent by Costume National smells a lot like Comme des Garcons 2. Rich with that holiday/potpourri scent of berries and spices, Scent is a pleasure to wear during crisp nights. It's a playful fragrance that will have others constantly asking what you're wearing.

EricM's avatar

Antartic (original) by Yves Rocher

A refreshing scent. Grapefruit and amber, a hint of lime, and sandalwood for a base. Long lasting and well done for an inexpensive scent. The second Rocher scent I've worn (the other is Homme Nature) and there seems to be a common note (like the base of the Claibornes all smelling similar) in these two Rochers. I like Antartic though, and do not like Homme Nature.
    The bottle is angular, almost three sided and deep blue. Like the tip of an iceberg.

06th January, 2003

EricM's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

A rich and well done scent. As stated by the above review, the leather does not dominate, as it does in Cuiron or the others mentioned. It dances with Mandarin, and probably vanilla and cinnamon as well. A unique scent unlike any others I've smelled. It's history in a bottle.
    The bottle is the traditional Creed bottle, clear and elegant. The cap has the House of Windsor crest.

06th January, 2003

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Very marine, open and fresh. Close your eyes and be transported to a deserted beach unknown. Wow. My favorite oceanic by far

Nomad / Moroccan Myrrh by Crabtree & Evelyn

Very very similar to Chrome (which I adore by the way, almost a signature) with a hit of Sandalwood. Very pleasant

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

Very aromatic. If taken to task I'd submit to you that it is somewhat reminiscent of Giorgio for Men. This is strictly from memory of a passing sniff 6 months ago. I may even return to their outlet someday and purchase.

Écume de Thé / Thé by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Smokey tea and spice, it has the common CSP family note Another long lasting EDP. Fantastic.

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

It's a perfect balance among sweet,woody and ambery notes.

08th January, 2003

Joop! Homme by Joop!

yes it's strong but I like joop homme is sweet and spicy.

08th January, 2003

WCW Nitro for Men by WCW

I've heard this was a Perfumania exclusive. I was given/sent a sample blister packet ages ago. Simple, fresh and VERY ordinary. Exactly the depth you'd expect from the organization it supposedly represents.

09th January, 2003

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

I like declaration essence(fresh,woody) more than declaration (too woody)

10th January, 2003

Ungaro III by Ungaro

WOW, nice and different sweet,spicy and woody scent.

10th January, 2003