Fragrance Reviews from December 2003

DeanL's avatar
    DeanL

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Reminds me of Roma by Laura Biagiotti. Too sweet for my liking, almost sickeningly so.

01st December, 2003

Dunhill by Dunhill

Dunhill is the BEST new fragrance I've tried in 2003! It's a solid new scent that's warm and determined. It's fresh and mellow and the dry down is smooth and powdery. It may be the most sophisticated of all the Dunhill fragrances...I think it's definitely the best. The After Shave, Deodorant, and Shampoo are also GREAT. Give this one a try. J. Augustt 12/06/03

01st December, 2003 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2003)

Thomas's avatar
    Thomas

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

A very aristocratic sense: abstract, clean, bright but very complex. An intelligent und very “modern” sent and a little bit eccentric: distanced but very interesting.
    The rosenote in combination with the bright woody and soapy notes is morbid like an old but very cultivated castle in autumn.

01st December, 2003

MonkeyManMatt's avatar
    MonkeyManMatt
    Sweden Sweden

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Lovely-could swear it has some mint in the top notes though
    /matt

03 December, 2003

Allen's avatar
    Allen

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

This is one of my favorites in a very large collection. I have been rebuying it for many years because it is so good. Lagerfeld is a subtle oriental, amber and spice that lasts. Women always complement me after wearing this.

Santos by Cartier

Absolutely VILE! I took one whiff and it nearly knocked me out. I expected something along the lines of Aramis which is strong but good for older gentleman. It's just plain horrible. Terribly overpowering. I can't believe such a fantastic jewelry maker could create such a dreadful fragrance. To be used only by balding, middle aged, shark suit wearing used car salesman.

Ulysse by Vicky Tiel

Very sweet, nice drydown. It does indeed last a long time. The bottle is terrific, a definite must have for the bottle collector. Also an uncommon fragrance,which is why I like it!

MonkeyManMatt's avatar
    MonkeyManMatt
    Sweden Sweden

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Excellent formal fragrance-very mature and extremely classy! In the vein of Van Cleef & Arpels and early Diors and Chanels. Let´s really hope they don´t discontinue this one as colognes of this kind haven´t been made the last two decades. A classic

The-odor's avatar
    The-odor
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Dunhill by Dunhill

It's just "nice-Okay" fragrance. Like Halston Z (of 1998, not Z-14). Quite simple woody fougere like lots of others. Way too uninspired, HUGOBOSSey.
    Pleasant and not overpowering though, nice bottle. So, Gentlemen, ain't Dunhill a bottle design company?

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Great!!! This one is definitely is a must have for every man. The ladies absolutely love this one. Although nowadays everyone is wearing it, so if you're looking for a stand out fragrance, this isn't it.

Chrome by Azzaro

I just started using this one and I must say, I always did like it, but never considered buying it. I've been using it for three days now, and have received on average five compliments on it each day. This is definitely a keeper!

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

One of Calvin Kelin's best, in my opinion. A nice one for evening wear.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

When I was waiting on a friend of mine before heading out one night, I saw the bottle on his dresser and I sprayed some in the air and I absolutely loved it! I went out and got some and received compliments on it just about everyday. It's light enough for everyday wear and just as good for those of us who wear 'business attire.'

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This was the first (and definetly the last time) I bought a cologne based on what was selling at the time. This fragarance seems best suited as a bathroom deodorizer than a cologne.

Kenneth Cole New York Men by Kenneth Cole

My current favorite. This one is great. I get compliments on this by both men and women. Although it is often confused for other fragrances, people always love it!

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

The very first cologne I ever put on. I used it because my mother would buy it for me & my bro. Everyone always loved it, both men and women. A must have, a true classic.

Pi by Givenchy

TOO SWEET. Those are the best words to describe this cologne. I tested it at a department store and it smelled fine, but when I applied it on my skin, it almost seemed like I had a tub of flowers dumped on me, it's sweet to the point that it's irritating.

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

The only fragrance I like by Hilliger. I like the clean, citrus smell it has, though spraying on too much will make you smell like a box of laundry detergent, when worn appropriately, it will woo the ladies!

The Dreamer by Versace

A nice strong smell, yet gentle. In my opinion, it's best for formal wear.

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Being a loyal user of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, I figured I'd try something new, and what better brand to go with that the one you trust, right? WRONG! The only thing unique about this one is the bottle.

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

Purple Label is a really good new fragrance from Ralph Lauren. It's a warm, fresh, classy scent all the way. The scent lasts longer if you use BOTH the After Shave along with the Cologne. This is definitely worth trying. J. Augustt 12/05/03

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I LIKE this new YSL Scent. It's very unique and not like everything else. It's very warm, clean, and classy. I purchased both the EDT and the Essence, which has only slightly longer staying power. It's not a long lasting scent and that may be its only draw back. But I give it a strone thumbs up and feel it's definitely worth a try. J. Augustt 12/06/03

Mr._Longrove's avatar
    Mr._Longrove

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Curve is a nice scent. I recommend it for casual wear or even office wear. It lasts long enough. Next to Spark this is the best Claiborne has to offer. Just my opinion of course.

solar's avatar
    solar

Arber by Body Shop

Whilst walking through the body shop with the lady, I stopped at the men's section. I was looking at a few products and noticed their EDTs. I began to test them, see what they were like. A quick verdict test from the lady resulted in us both agreeing that Arber was a very nice masculine scent indeed. I liken it to a much softer and warmer Memoire d'Homme. The good thing is that its cheap and the Shower Gel is fantastic.

Bobby Jones by Bobby Jones

This is a nice fresh scent. Its similar to Swiss Army but a bit more "green". Both are made in Switzerland so maybe there is a slight connection. Great bottle. I like the belt around the bottom. Thumbs up!

09 December, 2003

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

Nice and soft fragrance. A bit on the feminine side. Salvador Dali's Dalimix is a very close copy of this except Dalimix lasts only minutes where this lasts hours. If I'm not mistaken this is the one referred to as Bvlgari "Green Tea" even though it isn't written on the box. You don't have to worry about over applying this one!

09 December, 2003 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2003)

MacCOOL's avatar
    MacCOOL
    Philippine Philippine

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is a definite stink! I got a chance to spray some on my skin to check what its all about. But to my disappointment, what i got was a headache. When i got home and my girlfriend came over, she noticed a disgusting smell on me and said she didn't like that smell. I said it was nothing but still she took a sniff at my neck just to check. Luckily, she just smelled the scent i wore that morning which was Quorum (how about that for scent longevity, huh!) and she forgot about the Le Male i sprayed at the back of my hand. I got away with that one.... whew! From now on, i'll just stay away from this scent as much as possible.

09 December, 2003

Joop! Homme by Joop!

You either like this one or you don't. Theres no inbetween. I love it myself. It has a nice ambery sweetness on the drydown. It's hard to believe its not an eau de parfum because it's so darn strong! The after shave Balm is nice also, but like the cologne only a few little dabs are necessary. Thumbs up to the Joopster!

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

a very nice sweet fragrance, but not too heavy. Think of Guerlains Shalimar, but a lighter male version. Hold on to the bottle as Lalique crystal is very collectible!

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

Yuck! Very bad fragrance by oscar. It has a sweaty, sour smell. It reminds me of wine that has overfermented and turned to vinegar. Pour Lui on the other hand is great. Stark contrast between the two.