Fragrance Reviews from February 2003

Francois Blais's avatar

Jako by Lagerfeld

Yep, Jako is indeed a superb scent! Extremely well balanced, smooth and classy. Fresh, woody, musky, this great fragrance is a pleasure to wear!

01st February, 2003

scenteur7's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

A refreshingly light, though longlasting fragrance, pretty different from anything else. A definite tea note stands out, but the white musk and citrus keep it from smelling like all the others. A unisex scent, it has a similar bottle and packaging as the green tea fragrance. it may be slightly feminine for some guys, but sure to be a summer staple for most! Give it a shot - I get lots of compliments!

05 February, 2003 (Last Edited: 05 March, 2003)

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

This is a unique offering to the field of "green" fragrances as it produces a fragrance that, while clearly fresh and green, is not overly citrusy and seems to blend perfectly the notes inside.

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi

While this item is superbly made it is not at all, in my opinion, a unique fragrance. It is a citrus blend and that is all too common in the fragrance world. HOWEVER, if you are searching for your very first citrus blend then I highly suggest it as it will certainly become the benchmark by which you judge other ctirus scents. It reminds me vagule of a certain kind of lemon candy.

Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi

While there are some distinct similarities between LV Musk and Santa Maria Novella Musk it clearly is superior in its longevity and, in my opinion, quality of ingredients. The LV signature is all over this fragrance.

Wild Lavender / Inglese by Lorenzo Villoresi

Although I tend to view the LV line as something of a "grail" in my scent quest, this one is not a favorite. Too starchy and dry for my tastes, though it bears trying for those who appreciate such scents.

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

I can certainly see why this would be a unisex fragrance as I always rather typified it as feminine with its soft and gentle olfactory qualities. Nevertheless, I can see that it could be pulled off as a man's scent. I view all of Villoresi's items as masterpieces, although I wouldn't necessarily own them all.

Patchouli by Lorenzo Villoresi

Hands down my all-time favorite LV fragrance with Spezie ranking a near neck-in-neck place. I was never that big of a fan of patchouli though, like sandalwood, it is a very common fragrance in men's cologne. Even so, this one has a real bite to begin with, yet mellows superbly to a seductive aura of comfort. Patchouli perfection.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

I own few citrus scents as I typically find them too ephemeral; however, LV's Uomo is a fantastic citrus blend that combines the herbal nuances and citrus notes perfectly to result in a long-lasting citrus scent that has unbeatable character.

Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

While sandalwood is a very common ingredient in MANY men's fragrances, I'm always a fan of those that center on that particular ingredient as their primary note and this one is, for certain, a superior blend. It not only has the superior lasting qualities that all LV products possess, but also a fantastic development through each and every phase and practically every note in the make-up. This is a MUST for fans of sandalwood.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

BOLD!! A new twist in fragrance for me and a welcome one to be sure. Didn't care for it that much at first, but after having worn it several times I can say it has a SUPERB development that ranges sublimely through almost all the notes with the mint, pepper and amber dominating. A surefire hit with those seeking a unique fragrance to identify them.

Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi

Let me begin by saying that I am not a fan of vetiver fragrances. Although Guerlain Vetiver is a classic, it gives me an instant headache. LV Vetiver is a complete surprise in the line of vetiver fragrances as its simple mix of elements produces a potent masculine blend with subtle nuances that surface here and there throughout the wearing. Lasts a fantastic amount of time and is incredibly versatile in regards to occasions for wearing it. A great classic I say.

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

This is my absolute favorite spice scent! It combines the herbal rawness that one finds in something like Diptyque L'Autre, with a sweetness that takes the harsher edge off. Lasts a supernally long time and simply breathes elegance in fragrance. A MUST try for the LV lover.

Incensi by Lorenzo Villoresi

If spices are your thing, yet you don't want to smell like Christmas potpouri then you must try this fragrance. It is a smooth blend of spices that simply begs you to relax and enjoy. My only complaint is that it doesn't last as long as I'd like.

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

Dilmun is a unique scent in that, at first, I thought it was only a feminie scent, yet it clearly bears some fantastic qualities that would best be brought out on the masculine skin. Whle the citrus notes permeate throughout the opening citrus fades in potency to introduce the floral side, which has a welcome place in men's fragrance. My next acquisition.

Michael's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

I have to agree with the other posts, the fragrance is a good switch for le male, A*men etc... , but i actually prefer it to those. It's almost chemically sweet in the way of Joop! however it settles nicely.

scenteur7's avatar

Chaumet Homme by Chaumet

long the lines of Bulgari Black, but I hate to say it, much better!!!! This fragrance seems richer and fuller with notes of mate and sandalwood. I've noticed its scent reflects the wearer though! A great light scent for either men or women though definitely has a warmer more msculine scent, almost like incense.

Francois Blais's avatar

Façonnable by Façonnable

A nice scent, in the clean soapy genre.
    Fresh, with a green start, floral heart and sweet leathery base.
    Some may find a similarity to some laundry detergent, so try before you buy...

09 February, 2003 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2012)

The Bark's avatar

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

There's something about the description here that would have you believing this fragrance would be out of the world. Though it's not a loss by any means, it doesn't live up to it either. Think of a refined version of Boss #6--Lacoste Pour Homme goes right where the former went wrong, however, the rum notes really stand out and give it an almost sicky sweet nature if over-used.

17 February, 2003

Greenbriar by Caswell-Massey

Being that Greenbriar has been around much longer than Polo, "Polo smells like a heavier Greenbriar". It is cleaner and more pleasurable to wear, absolutely superior quality.

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

Bracing and clean. Fresh out of the barber shop. Wonderful. My favorite C-M next to Number Six

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

I just received a set of mini's in a nice flip-up box. Five of C-M's most popular mens selections. Number Six is the hands down Favorite. One of the best citrus scents available for men. Don't deny yourself this reasonably priced luxury.

SBACAS's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

This scent lives up to it's reputation. I don't see it as being outdated by the newer refreshing / citrus products. It's simply clean, fresh, long lasting. When just plain smelling wondeful is enough, this fragrance is perfect.

23 February, 2003

SBACAS's avatar

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I believe Ruslan's comparison of this fragrance to Allure is dead on. Nevertheless, I like it for that reason. To me, it's all that I liked best about Allure in a scent that is more subtle. On my skin, it lasts a long time (longer than Chrome say)yet it is not the least bit overpowering. Best of all, my wife digs it.

23 February, 2003

nepv's avatar

Iquitos by Alain Delon

I bought it 12 years ago,very different. I think [Iquitos] smells very similar(floral notes) to Poison by Dior.

24 February, 2003

Gendarme V by Gendarme

Although I prefer Gendarme V to the original Gendarme--it's a little less soapy, slightly sweeter--both fragrances are absolutely singular. There's nothing else like them. Very clean, quietly assertive. And they REALLY last. Gendarme V is another member on my "can't go wrong" list!

25 February, 2003

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I decided to give Silver Mountain Water another try, after a disappointing intial experience in February 2003. I'm glad I did! As with some other reviewers, I began to notice the scent more and more often with successive wearings. My advice: be patient if you don't "get" this fragrance at first--it's well worth the wait. A subtly sweet, elegant aura that can be worn anywhere with great pleasure

25 February, 2003 (Last Edited: 23 January, 2004)

Vetiver by Guerlain

The cleanest of the clean. I wasn't a vetiver fan, but this fragrance won me over. Its classic freshness never fails to uplift me. The harmonization of citrus, wood, vetiver and tobacco is magical. Guerlain Vetiver is at the top of my Can't Go Wrong list!

25 February, 2003

Rose's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The fragrance is ravishing indeed, but on me it disappeared, even when augmented by the body lotion.

26 February, 2003