Fragrance Reviews from March 2003

Dennis's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

When I first sampled Green Irish Tweed a while ago, my immediate reaction was massive disappointment at its similarity to Curve (reviewed March 2003). I tried it again recently, after wearing other Creed scents for a couple of months. Perhaps because my nose has become attuned to the subtle quality of the Creed products, perhaps because this time I gave it time to fully develop on my skin--whatever the reason, I must revise my opinion of Greed Irish Tweed. I love it now! As other reviewers have noted, GIT posseses a complexity and depth that set it apart from the (superficially similar) Curve. I especially like the wonderfully fresh balance between the citrus and floral notes--which is saying something, as I don't go for floral notes in general. Overall, a really beautiful fragrance for a man.

03rd March, 2003 (Last Edited: 03rd March, 2004)

Stuey's avatar

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

Nice enough. The top notes are especially nice but I don't think it stands up to Dreamer.

05th March, 2003

John.com's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I used this almost exclusivley in high school in the early to mid-eighties. A fine spicy fragrance suitable for the casual environment. Easy to over apply, however, so go easy.

13th March, 2003

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

212 was a fragrance that I set out to buy specifically after reading all the wonderful reviews on Basenotes. Even though I'm giving this one a thumbs-up, I have good news and bad news about it.
    The good news is that the scent is indeed incredible. It's hard to define, but I catch a refreshing yet "dark" citrusy feel from it. Straight-out, the scent is a winner. And, yes, the packaging is way cool. The base of the cap is magnetic and pulls the cap down when you put it back on. Want to have some fun? When wearing 212, leave the cap off, then ask someone who doesn't know about the magnetic cap to close it for you. When the cap "snaps" down, it'll freak them out for a second and it's worth a cheap laugh.
    Anyway, on to the bad news. On my skin - and I realize it may just be an issue with my skin - it doesn't last very long at all. I've even applied numerous squirts of the stuff to my neck before going out, and the scent just doesn't last very long on me. It's really a pity, considering what a high-quality fragrance 212 possesses. I still give a "thumbs-up" to 212; despite its inability to stick around, it's still a very high-quality fragrance.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Sometimes I like to take a "risk" online and order fragrances which I've never tried before. A*Men has been the most successful such gamble that I've made so far, and has quickly become tied with Paloma Picasso's Minotaure (which has nothing in common with A*Men, I assure you) as my favourite fragrance. I had read numerous reviews of the fragrance both on UseNet and here on Basenotes, and I wanted to give it a try. So, I ordered the full 3.4 oz size in the massive metal flask before I ever smelled it.
    WOW. This stuff is awesome. It's definitely an "edible" smelling fragrance. I don't think that it's too sweet; the sweetness that it exudes on my skin is definitely alluring. Does it actually smell like cotton candy and chocolate? In some wonderfully indefinable way, yes; it manages to smell like both. However, there's so much more to this fragrance. It is rich and alluring, highly sensual, "playful" without smelling cheap or cheesy, and HIGHLY addictive. Plus, on me, it lasts like crazy and it just makes me "feel good" about myself.
    When my original order showed up, I took one whiff and I was hooked. In my experience, the chicks definitely dig it. Two different female co-workers gave me compliments on it right away. I wore it out to a female acquaintance's apartment, and even though there were other people there, she kept nuzzling my neck to smell it, grabbing my shirt collar to pull me towards her, and telling me that she wanted to spray A*Men all over her apartment so she could smell it all the time. She assured me that this was a very wise investment, and I wholeheartedly agreed. Other more recent experiences (heh heh) have strongly reinforced that opinion.
    A*Men is wonderfully unusual. Although it's not for everybody, I personally think it's a masterpiece. I can't say enough great stuff about A*Men.

Higher by Christian Dior

I first smelled Higher in a magazine advertisement a while back and recently invested in it. This fragrance isn't for everybody, but in my opinion, it's fantastic. It exudes a sweet and brilliant aroma of citrus, along with a considerable hint of spice. The scent stays on my skin for quite a while, though I still feel compelled to spray more on because it smells so great. The aura it creates is strong, playful, and - though this may sound strange - "smart." The packaging is quite unusual and definitely stands out; the metallic housing is topped with a layer of rubber, the center of which hides the trigger for the fragrance. It's a very creative package matched with a genuinely wonderful scent, good enough earn me a few compliments. Higher has quickly climbed up towards the top of my favourite fragrances. Highly recommendable!

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

I'm a big fan of Minotaure. At the time of this writing, this is tied with Thierry Mugler's A*Men as my favourite fragrance. I received my first bottle of Minotaure as a gift, mailed to me from Puerto Rican from a model I knew back in 1995. The scent is at once spicy and sweet, sophisticated and extremely sensual. The overall effect is phenomenal. Plus, yes, the bottle rocks. It's a bit more expensive than many other fragrances out there, but in my opinion, the expense is justified.
    I have had numerous EXTREMELY pleasant reactions from women while wearing this scent, and I've received more compliments about it than I have any other fragrance I've ever worn. I recently heard that Minotaure had unfortunately been discontinued, so as soon as I could, I bought another 4.2 oz of it. However, it appears that it's either still in production for the time being, or it wasn't discontinued after all. In any case, this stuff is absolutely wonderful.
    According to a David Bowie fan site, http://www.bowiewonderland.com, Bowie is especially fond of Minotaure. (Note: I dug Minotaure long before I found that out.)

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

When I recently started collecting fragrances, I read a good deal of reviews on Basenotes as well as elsewhere online. At one point, I read a lady's review on UseNet which stated that she wanted to rip her boyfriend's clothes off whenever he wore Odeur 71. Needless to say, my interest was immediately sparked. When I found the list of very unusual fragrance notes, I was fascinated and extremely curious. I even told some of the fellows at work and we began humourously referring to the fragrance as "Dust on a Hot Lightbulb."
    I made an substantial investment/gamble and ordered a bottle of Odeur 71 online. It does indeed smell unlike most fragrances, and I have to spray on a bit more than usual because it's a bit faint and tends to disappear quickly on my skin. The responses from others have ranged from mediocre to favourable, and nobody has said that they disliked it. When I visited my parents, my mum said it smelled like sewing machine oil (and then admitted that she actually LIKED the smell of sewing machine oil). Personally, when I smell it on me, I am reminded of the times I spent in libraries and bookstores when I was a young child. Odeur 71 has the same musty yet pleasant atmosphere.
    It doesn't seem like an incredibly romantic fragrance; it's more of an odd, industrial scent. When I've worn it on dates, the ladies have said that it wasn't bad, but they weren't racing to rip my clothes off either. Overall, I'm glad that I added this unusual fragance to my arsenal, and I give it a "thumbs-up" for the high-quality, novel approach to create a strangely "modern" and "urban" fragrance.

Pi by Givenchy

Pi was a "fragrance gamble" I ordered online before actually smelling it, after reading favourable reviews on Basenotes as well as elsewhere on the Net. When I first opened the order, I took a whiff of Pi and I was immediately reminded of Coty Musk for Men, which was one of my favourite fragrances when I was very young. As I got to know the fragrance a bit better, though, I noticed definite differences.
    On my skin, Pi is a rich, sweet, and smooth fragrance, which at times has reminded me of either hot buttered popcorn or hot caramel corn. (Yes, it's an unusual comparison, but a valid one nonetheless.) It also exudes a palpable amount of musk and vanilla; the overall feeling is quite warm, enticing, and "creamy." Although I haven't worn it on many dates, I definitely see this as one which would radiate a comforting and romantic feeling. It's not an absolute favourite, but I still really enjoy and recommend Pi.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

The good news, right off the bat, is that the bottle is extremely cool. The bad news is that the contents aren't.
    I'd read great stuff about Ultraviolet Man on Basenotes, so I took a chance and mail-ordered it without trying it first. The first few sprays stuck in the tube smelled positively VILE, with an acrid odor reminiscent of some cheap, stinking, probably toxic rubber alien toys I owned as a child. (Long story.) I worked like crazy trying to get the smell off my skin and it just wouldn't go away. I seriously felt nauseated by the scent.
    However, having spent so much money to order this stuff (plus, having a bit of a masochistic streak), I decided to keep giving it a chance, and it actually got better. After I got those first few sprays out... it started smelling more like a cologne and less like frog vomit or some sort of biochemical agent. The scent actually began to resemble (as tacky as this sounds) Lemon Pledge!
    It's definitely distinctive. These days, I can wear it comfortably and sometimes I even enjoy it, but I can name over two dozen fragrances in my arsenal that I like more than Ultraviolet Man. I have never gotten a compliment on it, and when I was bold enough to ask a female companion what she thought of the scent, she didn't think it was disgusting, but she wasn't highly impressed by it either.
    I did notice the comparison between this fragrance and Paloma Picasso's Minotaure here on Basenotes, but I don't see much of a resemblance, as Minotaure is one of my favourite fragrances ever and this is just... well... barely above adequate, especially for the price tag. Were it not for the design of the bottle, there wouldn't be anything about Ultraviolet Man to really "wow" me, and frankly, I don't make a habit of taking my fragrance bottles out on dates with me. Frankly, I regret paying so much for it, and I would recommend that prospective buyers get experienced with this scent before making the same mistake I did.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Another of my staples - the compliments amaze me - women, men, old, young, everyone seems to react positively to this scent. It is bright and fruity as it opens, but gives way to a unique milky note. Best comparison is Le Feu Light or Sculpture by Nikos.

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo

Delightful in its unique freshness. Reminds me of a fabric softener! It is a staple for me for warmer spring and summer days with its floral and light wood notes. Definitely worth a shot!

Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou

An absolutely magnificent fragrance to match the best of Creed and Crown. Notes of Lavender, new mown hay, sandalwood, patchoulli, and vanilla, this is quite subtle in its spice. Great lasting power, amazing drydown - worth the price! Reminds me of Japanese incense, has that soft powdery quality.

Cortez by Fruits and Passion

Very wearable and distinct with its notes of fig and sandalwood - very close to L'Artisan's Premier Figuier but less expensive, and more masculine. A definite winner!

Geir by Geir Ness

I've been told I smell like sex, a meadow, and summertime fresh cut grass! At first I was unimpressed after sniffing the tester, but after wearing the juice I am totally hooked and this is an instant classic! Completely unlike anything else I have tried, Geir needs to be tried on the skin as it defintely depends on its wearer!

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

The true original, after wearing this fragrance once you WILL submit to it's ultra-classic citrus appeal!

20th March, 2003

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Jean Luc Amsler Privé Homme by Jean Luc Amsler

A very nice clean scent, a bit similar to Emporio Armani's He.

20th March, 2003

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

This is another beauty from Van Cleef & Arpels. On first spray it doesn't really smell that good at all. Sort of a citrusy woody mix. Give it time to settle and this comes into its own. It has a great lingering smell that I can't really describe! Kind of "mid pitched" maybe a little musky. I have found it to last well too but then again most fragrances do last on me. -- Very highly recommended!!

Into the Blue by Givenchy

I picked up this one in the tax free shop even thou I wasn't even leaving the country!! I just found out that you can buy fragrances tax free just because your getting on a plane to anywhere!!
    This is a really nice fragrance. Most definitely unisex. It starts very green but settles quickly into a slightly warmer leafy sweetness. Don't get me wrong its only very slightly sweet, just enough to compliment the green notes. Fresh and natural smelling. Only downfall is its not the strongest but it does manage to last well. Most fragrances do last on me though so I must have oily skin!
    Its really very nice, quite different, I highly recommend it! I cant see anyone hating it.

Eau Torride by Givenchy

This is a great fragrance! Its very fresh and fruity. It does remind me of Polo Sport (Woman) which I actually used to wear cause I preferred it to the men's version. It does lend to the feminine side a little but it really is very easy and pleasant to wear. It lasts well too. Probably not one for the more "Macho" types cause it does have some floral notes. But in saying this it is certainly more masculine than the vile A*men or the even worse toilet cleaner Joop! Homme. Great for spring/summer. Give it a try, you may be surprised!!

John.com's avatar

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

A brave rose scent for men. Sumptuous with some spice and wood in the mix. Almost flamboyant would be a good description. I'd keep it for a nice evening out.

26th March, 2003

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Like all Bvlgari scents, this one is classy and understated. This one is dark and smokey. It becomes a bit powdery, like most Bvlgari's, but is one that I get TONS of compliments for and is a great evening scent. Listed as unisex, but I have trouble seeing most women being able to pull this one off.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I LOVE THIS SCENT! If you want classy and subtle. It remains very close to the skin throughout and dries down very powdery with the woods and the musk subtly emerging in the drydown. The tea rings throughout and the Blackcurrant is prominent, too. The staying power, when used with the shower gel, is good. This is the scent I wear whenever I need to be at my most confident.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Fresh to the nth degree. I really like this for a summer scent. This fragrance seems to behave different on me each time I wear it. I don't get much singular notes out of this one, but I am a big fan of it. Also has the bonus of mixing well with A*men to form a much more versatile/wearable version of Angel men.

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

This stuff is amazing. It's so dead on it's frightening. I don't know a time I'd wear it and not that it's unpleasant, but this stuff smells exactly like dirt and I don't have many times I need to smell like dirt.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

If you run into someone on the street who is wearing too much cologne, there is a better than 50/50 chance that they have this on. This is the poster child for over application. Overbearing and overused. I can't stand this scent.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Very sweet, almost sickly so. I don't care for it at all. It seems artificial on me. Two separate women, on separate occasions, told me I smelled like Cap'n Crunch while wearing it.

Happy for Men by Clinique

Very fresh and clean scent. This is a great daytime summer scent. The mandarin lingers throughout the scent but this scent is very non obtrusive and interesting. It needs to be layered, but the body products are very reasonable. Good stuff.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I love this scent during the summer. It is about as aquatic as they come and is neither overpowering nor too close to the skin. It's a very fresh and clean scent that elicits many compliments. Haven't smelled it on many others too which is a plus.

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

Again Demeter delivers a fragrance up to his namesake. This is like a poor man's Tommy T. It makes me want to go grab a handful of quarters and go put some stuff in the dryer. One of the longer lasting in Demeter's catalog.