Fragrance Reviews from July 2003

Bobby Jones by Bobby Jones

Golfer,NO-----Cologne connoisseur,YES.I don't no the guy,but this fragrance makes him alright with me.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

This cologne went where others are still trying to go.Even though it's A few years old,when I make my rounds back to wearing this,DA BOMB! CLASSIC.

GMV Uomo by Gian Marco Venturi

A decent fragrance which puts me in the mindframe of drakkar noir but this has more depth than drakkar.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

H.M.is one of the greatest of all time.All of the scents that I have(which is over an 150)H.M.continues to resurface up to the top of my list!!!!!

Mojo by Austin Powers by Gendarme

You can find this scent at gendarme.com,at A very nice price.I just received my bottle and I was kind of salty because it was A splash cologne.Other than that it's some nice smelling stuff which I will not wear until I buy A sprayer and transfer it.

Samouraï by Alain Delon

Familiar yet different.A headturner indeed.

Desire Blue by Dunhill

MAN.I didn't think dunhill would be able to come anywhere in the ballpark after desire,but D.blue is all that and some.AWESOME runner-up which is rarely done in the cologne industry.

Britto Man by Romero Britto

I took A chance on this one,having never heard of this guy or smelling this anywhere.BANGO this one's A winner.Smells A tad bit LeMale-ish but sweeter,and I have not found any one who doesn't like that!

Aquaman by Rochas

Rochas is making some noise with the last couple of scents these guys have have put on the market.I bought aquaman just because I liked the way the bottle looked.The fragrance is more than I expected,so BANGO!!

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

lancome dropped A bomb with miracle man. THIS JUICE IS AWESOME!!! This is one of my sunday-GO-TO-meeting colognes!

Zanzibar by Van Cleef & Arpels

HEY,where did you guys get that bottle from.I ordered this and my bottle is A see through glass with A red top.DECENT scent never the less. SPICY!!

Diesel Green Masculine by Diesel

I had to get this one because of the bottle.It starts off smelling like that hard candy people put out at christmas,you know-all the different colors and shapes,but they all taste the same.Then it actually has A little depth after the initial reaction.

Effusion for Him by Iceberg

Thumbs up and down. great scent,for every bit of the 15minutes it lasts.RIDE with it so you can freshen up every few minutes.

Dennis's avatar

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Essenza de Zegna is a superbly dry, woody composition with a citrus undertone. Light yet distinctive and long-lasting, EdZ is a great anytime, anywhere men's fragrance. Highly recomemnded!

06 July, 2003

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Reluctant thumbs down. Initially, the grapefruit citrus shines thru; but during/after drydown -- the dry, woodsy note can remind the sniffee a LOT of walking by a pet shop (all those bedding shavings when 'wet'). Will qualify by saying one's particular body chemistry may have a lot to do with it. On the other hand, some of the best most interesting fragrances around are reminiscent of "the gutter". (see XtremeScents June column, it's right on!)

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

Of two minds about this fragrance. Plus side: initially refreshing, but brings "creamsickle" to mind immediately, which is o.k. if you like vanilla ice cream with candy-coated orange shell. Have to think it's geared toward younger audience (hence the "in motion" thing). Sphere packaging WAY cool. Downside: I personally don't get much of a hit after the touted dry down; yes, still warm fragrance, but awfully sweet. Not necessarily offensive but makes me long for something sharp with crunch to bite into. Final analysis: thumbs down. Boss has done better, but younger crowd may find it appealing for something different, and it is a little less expensive.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Yep, a keeper: definitely day-to-day wearability. Went to ER recently at 10 p.m. on a Friday night (ohmigawd, horror scene you're imagining). Guy behind admissions counter had it on (o.k., so I work pt.time in mens fragrances, recognized it on contact). Made me feel better immediately. Imagine: noisy, chaotic, medicine-smell scene. First contact in this environment is man whose smell says, "I'm HERE, I CARE, I'll get something done for you, 'cause I'm professional and calm." Very nice, not offensive or overly strong, lasts fairly well, definite lingering impression.

MarksCarltonLane's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

For nearly 250 years, the House of Creed has furnished heads of state, monarchs and celebrities with original fragrances called "millesimes." A millesime is a fragrance made with a higher content of hand-pressed, essential oils than cologne or eau de toilette. In 2002, Creed launched its first original scent of the new millenium called Himalaya. In 2003, Himalaya became available through very limited distribution in the United States. First, I don't know of a more reputable or trustworthy purveyor of Creed Fragrances than Pam Atchison, proprietor, Hampton Court Essential Luxuries, Santa Rosa, California. Pam supplied me with Himalaya in May of 2003 and I chose not to share my assessment of it until July. Once out of its platinum colored bottle, top notes of icy, cool mandarin and grapefruit announce an almost arctic beginning that, as some have noted, is as refreshing as Tibetan mountain snow. Be foretold, though; you've only begun to appreciate Himalaya's surprises! Within a couple of hours of your first breath of Himalaya, you will begin to experience mid- and base notes of pepper, musk of Tonka, cedar and sandalwood. From these slowly evolving lower notes comes Himalaya's true character and astonishing power. The dry down sparkles throughout with its original iciness but, almost imperceptibly, a warmer depth evolves. My final, unqualified judgment is that Creed has given those fortunate enough to own and wear it, a new classic that is as much sensuous magic as it is a spiritual experience. I am wholeheartedly smitten!

08 July, 2003

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Already at the sight of the transparent colourless liquid I had my doubts... And was I right -yet another of these "modern" uninspired, boring, carelessly made mass market products! It's obvious the fragrance industry is in a deep crisis when these (Crave, Echo, Polo Blue etc)unoriginal citrus offerings is all they put out. Save your money and buy Eau de Sauvage istead , or Issey Miyake if you MUST have a modern citrus scent!

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Thank You! This old school fashion house reliably delievers yet another wellcrafted winner! IMO Yves Saint Laurent has not yet put out anything dubious on the market and M7 certainly is no exception. For me, and I know a lot of other people, the kind of traditional spiciness that M7 carries is very important for a mens fragrance. Yet in this particular product they´ve managed to brilliantly update this heritage (dunhill edition, opium, safari,obsession,goodlife etc )with a modern twist. The potency also is terrific, lasting almost all day. Doesn't hurt the bottle is beatiful as well!

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

I very strongly disagree with Tero´s point of view. I find this update flawlessly executed. Furthermore in todays climate of thousands of unoriginal citrus scent, in the vein of Acqua di Gio, something this spicy and masculine is in my opinion highly welcome!

Trend pour Homme by Les Copains

I got beat on this one.I was in awe of the way the bottle looked on the web pages,and that's what sold me.Smells just like gucci RUSH,which was another disapointment also.All that shows up in this scent is wood-wood-wood.Maybe it's for termites.

Black Jeans by Versace

The fact that this one got discontinued really makes me sad. Black Jeans had a very interesting composition, and a lovely musky dry smell. Splendid för daytime use as it was vey discrete.

The Dreamer by Versace

As I am a sucker for tobacco notes this really qualifies as an evening favourite. The fragrance is really powerful and IMO almost sinful, very mediterranean.

SBACAS's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought this one online, based solely on the positive reviews, and hit the jackpot. Between my "gourmand" scents (Rochas Man, A*men, Body Kouros) Body Kouros is the most versatile. It can be worn to work, casually, or romantically.It's really satisfied my desire for that hard to find fresh, yet slightly oriental scent.YSL quality as well.

SBACAS's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes reviews have guided me (a novice)to the beginnings of a decent collection. Eau Sauvage is one of the "oldies but goodies" I have acquired in order to learn what a truly great, quality scent is all about. Christian Dior products are wonderful (Fahrenheit being my other one). Some may say that this scent is for the mature man. Perhaps; but while I may be middle-aged, I enjoy the reaction I receive from the ladies, young and otherwise, in the office when I wear Eau Sauvage. It makes me feel dressed up.

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

Laguna is awesome!!!! NUFF-SAID.

11th July, 2003

John.com's avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

After sampling BdG I must obtain a bottle. A warm, inviting, masterfully created blend of wood and spice. You can really pick up on the cinnamon leaves, whick slowly blends in perfectly with the Vetiver. A class act.

11th July, 2003

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Ok here goes... surprised that I'm the first negative voice on this one. Undoubtedly a complex fragrance, in my opinion Acqua di Giò has a far too sharp sour note I just cant stand. This especially becomes apparent (surprisingly) on the drydown, where this acidity becomes unbearable! Furthermore there is a floral quality to it which makes my stomach turn, since it is still ranked very high , I suppose I´m one of few with this viewpoint.

14 July, 2003

Booster by Lacoste

Strikingly different, only one that slightly resembles this one is Pascha by Cartier. Booster has a very prominent menthol/mint/eucalyptus character that I can imagine not everyone liking. However I find this property very captivating and interesting. Shortly, smell before you buy!

14 July, 2003