Fragrance Reviews from September 2003

Mark's avatar

Blend 30 by Dunhill

I was struck by the previous review. While I do not have a "nose" to be so specific, I first discovered Blend 30 on a visit to L.A. in the mid to late 70s. With a subtle mix that seemed green at first and matured to a warm ambery scent that lasted all day, it was soon my favorite. In the early to mid 80's I was shocked to find that it was no longer carried in the U.S. However, I struck up a correspondance with a delightful woman in the home office in London through whom I was able to continue to purchase bottles. It was not long until I received a sad note from her telling me that it had been discontinued; and I purchased what I was told were the last four bottles that were in stock. I had hoped to find a parfumerie that would attempt to mimic this scent for me (since the original was not unobtainable) but I have searched the internet in vain.
    An exceptional and unusual scent, it was one of the few that did not hit my skin and smell either medicinal or flowery. I write this in fond memory or a scent that I wore as I went from boy to man, from student to physician and which lingers still in my memory.

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Essenza is a wonderfully uplifting scent that harmonizes woods, mint, and myrtle with ease. It is smooth and sophisticated with a hint at sensuality. A total triumph!

Visit by Azzaro

Visit (pronounced viz eat) is an appealing deeply woody scent reminicient of Polo (green bottle). Of course it's not as strong as that or as piney, but it leans in that direction, which seems to be the trend this fall. While not ground breaking nor particularly exciting, it is enjoyable and ultimately worth owning.

Tommy Jeans by Tommy Hilfiger

A complete and utter waste of time. Another clone in the stable of Tommy H. All but one of his fragrances are disturbingly similar and idiodically unoriginal. Which one is worth your time, you ask? The original Tommy of course.

Aramis Cool by Aramis

Cool is an enjoyable scent in the same vein as 212 by Herrera. Actually, I think it is their attempt to compete with it. It was nice to seem something new from Aramis that was better than that short lived Surface scent. I, personally think they could have done better.

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

O.K., so you're wondering if Spark is another spin off of Curve? Well, not exactly. I'm afraid to say that it does share the Cure base, which is not a bad thing (since Curve smells wonderful, why else would they keep reworking it?), just not original. However, with Spark they do break out of the mold a bit by making a spicy type of scent. I liked it, but probably won't buy it. I give Claiborne credit for trying to move away from the Curve scent, and perhaps their next one will even be a step further. Time will tell. For now, Spark is a positive and worth a sniff. By the way, the women's Spark is not so great.

Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic by Lancôme

When I tried L'Aquatonic at the store I initially like it, so I sprayed it all over myself. It started to get to me, enough that I started to feel ill. There is something in it that I find cloying and overwhelming. I imagine though, that most will enjoy it. It is green yet with a creamy stream running through it. It is also rich and long lasting.

Vialman's avatar

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

I was always a fan of 273 so when I received some samples of 273 Indigo, I thought.." Another "Blue" Fragrance"! How wrong I was! 273 Indigo is a very comfortable, warm and sexy scent! Bergamot blossom opens this very uncomplicated fragrance, leading to a very smooth vetiver heart. The smooth musky basenote really makes this fragrance linger! Its fresh, sexy and warm... and very easy to like. I wouldn't call this a "groundbreaking" fragrance, just a very nice and easy scent, that can be worn at anytime, and any season! With so many common "Blue" titled fragrances out there, 273 "Indigo" stands on its own!

Allen's avatar

Derrick by Orlane

I bought Derrick in Paris around 16 years ago. It is rare in the US. I always receive compliments. Derrick is lightly sweet and spicy. It lasts all day. It can now be bought online.

Allen's avatar

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Fracas is a light floral. Very simple and pleasant. It lasts all day. Piguet also has introduced "Bandit" for men as well as women. I really like it. It is first very full bodied that will soon mellow. It is a floral and musk. Very fragrant and lasts all day.

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I just recently ordered a bottle after a long hiatus. The invigorating pine and spice are captivating, a very formal ,serious scent of amazing Penhaligon's quality. Trumper's Wellington is very similar. Nice

JF by Floris

I came into the smaller bottle via an ebay auction, and what a score it was. A very elegant citrus composed of lemon, orange and subtle mouth watering spices. The base of woods and amber are sumptuous. Do not deny yourself this olfactive experience, sample if you can....

Royal by Geo F Trumper

My runner-up for favorite Trumper. Top spot being held by the illustrious and magical Spanish Leather. Royal is masterful combo of light spice and wood notes, I seem to detect the presence of rose note as well. This lends it a small parallel with Hammam Buequet. Trumper's colognes all convey a right from the barber's "clean shaven" aura. Love it!!

Stuey's avatar

Britto Man by Romero Britto

I find this one heavy and nauseating, I'm getting sick thinking about the smell. I hope the man's clothes are better since I hear he's a designer of some sort. Someone mentioned to me it reminded them of Pi and I couldn't disagree more.

Robert's avatar

Dominican Republic Dominican Republic

Visit by Azzaro

Visit by Azzaro Paris has a real sharp and unique smell to it. It seems real strong when you take a quick smell, but to be honest, its a real smooth woody scent! Definantly one to add to the collection. It smells completely different to practically any fragrence ive smelled before (And thats a lot of them!!). Another good thing is "Visit" is all about sexy encounters. When things heat up, the scent activates itself nicely and adds to the pleasure of being senual.

03 September, 2003

Robert's avatar

Dominican Republic Dominican Republic

Black by Kenneth Cole

Black by Kenneth Cole is a must have for any man who loves a night full of guilty pleasures on the town. The scent is light but very excelent. Fun as well. It wears off in awhile, but not if you put enough on. "Black" is one of those colognes that works with your personal chemestry to create a unique scent on every man. It also fits the tastes of people who like either Citrus or Musk. "Its better in the dark"

03 September, 2003

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

Think L'eau por Kenzo crossed with L'eau d'Issey and you've got something very close to Agua de Loewe. A great warm weather fragrance with plenty of staying power. The generous 5.1 oz bottle is made to please for the copious user of this baby.

Erolfa by Creed

Surprising that this one doesn't get more attention on the forum. It is reminiscent of the saltwater seas, as advertised, but with an additional interesting "oily" note that is something akin to what the rigging on wooden sailing ships must smell like after being soaked for many years with sea salt, rain and sunshine. While the staying power could be better, this fragrance does speak loudly of "old school" notions of class and cool.

Freedom for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

This isn't bad at first, but there's a sweet note that gets cloying after a while and makes you want to wash the stuff off as soon as possible. The antiperspirant / deodorant stick is pleasant enough... better than the EDT.

Briandra's avatar

Rahät Loukoum by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This Stunning unique fragrance is all women.it is sweet,elagant,and mysterious.I can't aimagine a man wearing this as it is distinctly female.I am not one for "foody:scents like angel or lempicka,but I am in love with this fragrance.It is sweet,but not cloying due to the subtle rose inflex.This is one of my all time favorite fragrances.

07 September, 2003

chris_cologne's avatar

Cigar by Rémy Latour

This is a unique fragrance. It has a very spicy warmth to it and does smell like a box of fresh Cohibas! It can be found inexpensive in alot of discount stores like Marshalls for around $10.00-15.00. Its not one the young folks would probably like (unless your a cigar smoker). I like it quite a bit, perfect scent for Autumn or Winter in front of a warm fireplace with your loved one. Neat bottle and can too. Im hoping Remy Latour will make a new scent called Coffee! Mmmmmmmmm....c-o-f-f-e-e!

07 September, 2003

Agua Lavanda by Antonio Puig

This is still available? The Spanish sure know how to make a classic fragrance. From what I remember a great fragrance...I haven't worn this scent in twenty-two years. I must find some and update this review.

Andron for Men by Jovan

I was a young man when I first bought this fine cologne. I loved the scent and so did the women I met. Particularly the older women I had occasion to meet. It was an energizing manly, distinctive scent. It conjures back memories looking at the picture of the bottle and it draws upon the central nervous system--yen for a time long past. I would give my left ___ to locate a case of this.

Boss Sport by Hugo Boss

I think I bought the last few bottles left in the world. I don't know why the earlier poster said this reeked of a lavatory. I have had nothing but good things said [to say] about this fine scent. Hugo Boss made some great winners as this with 'Elements', 'Boss In Motion' and a few others. And then again the popular Boss scents were duds in my eyes...oh well...what's one to do.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

A great fragrance. A staple in a mans cologne chest (or wherever he keeps the stuff). This is to be worn under a clean undershirt and fine cotton shirt. When you perspire it releases oozles of refined alluring female attracting things...

Calvin by Calvin Klein

I love scents/colognes that are rich, distinctive, manly, musky, earthy. This cologne is all of those. I consider this to be one of the all time best scents for Calvin Klein and then it was downhill from there. This is the pinnacle. I just don't get them pencil pushers...why is quality always denigrated?

Elements by Hugo Boss

A manly scent in the sparse landscape of colognes. A staple in my wardrobe. A fine evening, fine clothes instilled with the aroma of this mans scent.
    Why are the finer, quality items discontinued?

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

When I want to chase the women away I wear this scent. Actually it doesn't give 'ME' the confidence. I mean...I wear some scents as Opium or Paco Rabanne or Realm or Elements and these scents give me power. This scent diffuses me...relaxes me...settles me. What do you think?

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Patchouli is the dominant scent...Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico and the hippies from the East come to mind here (hmmm they didn't take baths though).Anyhow, this is a great scent and I recommend wearing it three days straight with a shower each day and a change of clothes too!
    A mans scent yet I know women who wear this.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

I would wear this scent on assignment and in some of the venues I'd wallow in the women loved my scent. I'd just tell 'em I showered! Seriously, it is a great scent and was a top-notch cologne in the day. I hope this is around 'til the day I am buried. Full of cliches aren't I?