Fragrance Reviews from January 2004

bitterorange's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

This is one of my favourite scents.It starts incredibly sharp,with a mouthwatering grapefruit burst you can literally taste.This dries into something more honeyed,but that grapefruit lasts and lasts.The shower gel is also incredibly strong.Gtreat for summer!!

03rd January, 2004

Mr._Longrove's avatar

Pleasures for Men Intense by Estée Lauder

I had a sample of this recently and didn't really like it too much. It's too floral for me...too feminine. It doesn't smell bad but it seems more suited for a woman.

03rd January, 2004

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

Well a few of my females friends said this is the best mens cologne and i do agree, though i feel now that the smell is not the same as when i first bought it (maybe 6 months or more ago)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Is it me or does this sort of smell like chocolate or caramal? I weak scent from what a smelt

Crave by Calvin Klein

Though i like the packaging (PLASTIC) and the smell is nice enough, i feel it's longievtity is quite low

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Out of all the ck colognes i must say this is the best one!!

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

One of the best smells around, hugo boss can't go wrong!!

Aramis Life by Aramis

Though i don't know how long the scent lasts, i like it!! A fresh new smell

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

A very old-fashioned fragrance: Lavender pur! It smells like the lavender water of my granny.

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

This very zesty fragrance with a strong citrus top from Californian grapefruit is very dependent on the context and very ambivalent: in office is smells like a cleaning agent for toilets. But in summer holidays at the sea or on very hot days in the city it is a wonderful casual fragrance. Than you feel like a figure in the bright pictures of swimming pools by David Hockney.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men is simply superb, I love it just as much as I love Angel, I sometimes even LAYER these two (you can never have too much of a wonderful thing, eh?)
    What I love most about A*Men is the cool-warm contrast: mint & lavender vs. roasted coffee, dark bittersweet chocolate & liquorice. It doesn't hurt, either that I get loads of compliments when I'm wearing it...

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love the discontinued Patchouli and Voleur de Roses madly, but Patchouli Patch was a HUGE disappointment. I mean: where's the patchouli???!!! To my nose PP was more stale Cream Crackers than anything even remotely like patchouli. Maybe PP is a patchouli scent aimed at people who don't like patchouli? ;)

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

Fresh with just the right hint of spice. I easily detect the pepper and mint top notes. Lasts for a reasonble amount of time. The spray mechanism is da BOMB! thumbs up.

MarksCarltonLane's avatar

Sélection Verte by Creed

PREFACE: First, beware fraudulent Creed. My experience with Parfum1.com raised my brow as high as the price for this Private Collection jewel finally made available in the United States this year. The most astute fragrance friend and fragrance purveyor I've found, especially for Creed, is Pam Atchison at Hampton Court Essential Luxuries in Santa Rosa, California. No other purveyor with whom I've done business has gone to the lengths to please "Mr. Impossible" as I sometimes am described. REVIEW: Sparkling droplets of melting ice infused with a melange of luscious lime, peppermint aplenty and pink peppercorns soar and slowly soften into the herbal, sunny accord of summery lemon, mandarin and bergamot. This is a minty, peppery wind belonging to that solstice when daylight cheats night; Creed's delectably limey, minty dew sustains its savory refreshment hour upon hour. NOTES: Made for Napoleon III and a signature scent of Sigmund Freud, the portly, deepest cedar green bottle, containing 8.4 ozs., is crowned with a fat stopper perfect for a once-in-the-morning indulgence. At $280, the list price, most of us only covet such a rarefied scent. There are those expert consumers of fragrance who will scoff at Selection Verte because they may assert that it is little more than the typical Creed accord containing variations of bergamot, lemon and mandarin. And there are those who insist that Creed's scents are eau de toilette or cologne. Not so by any measure! The majority of Creed's historic line of scents are what this fabled parfumerie calls "millesimes" containing 18-20% extraits and oils, a euphemism for eau de parfum. Like all of Creed's millesimes, Selection Verte is a completely handmade fragrance that you will never find on the shelves at T.J. Maxx, Marshall's, Stein Mart or other discount department stores. For almost 250 years, Creed has painstakingly customized millesimes for European royalty, heads of state and celebrities worldwide. I'm simply a commoner who saved for a year to acquire my first Private Collection Creed millesime. For my money and unqualified opinion, Selection Verte rises above the oceans of mediocre or even above average summer scents that are mass-produced and, often, largely synthetic. Selection Verte is one of those perfect experiences in which craftsmanship, originality and historic significance distinguish a timeless scent from those made for the masses that become rightfully forgotten.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Annick Menardo is definitely my ultimately favourite perfumer with her "hypnotic poison" masterpiece...She also created this one which happens to be a very familiar smell...It reminds me of the caraway cookies my grandmother used to make...It can be a bit cloying if you apply too much but that's only due to the violet....(why would you ruin such a beautiful composition by using the most boring ingredient in perfumery ie.violet!!!). It would have been the best without it but still Is really good!!!(I much prefer it to Rochas Man)....

Folavril by Annick Goutal

Folavril is a mischievous, slightly soapy scent with tomato leaves, mango and boronia notes. Something Pippi Longstocking might wear! Wear it anytime you feel a hunger for Spring...

Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal

Eau de Charlotte is a funny little fragrance, it smells like schoolgirl's breakfast: blackberry jam sandwiches and cocoa! It has also floral notes: mimosa and lily of the valley, and vanilla.
    Perfect for Spring and for those days I'm having one of my mischievous little girl moods, always puts a smile on my face...

Yohji by Yohji Yamamoto

I don't really know what to say about Yohji because it's the scent most close being my signature if I had one. The top notes are green, freshly mown grass, then it gradually turns into amber-vanilla, not heavy sweet ice cream kind of vanilla but something more like vanilla tea. Yohji is a very seductive scent, but in a sneaky way, he'll never know what hit him, LOL! No other scent I wear has received so many compliments as Yohji, both from males and females. It's also incredibly long-lasting, at least on my skin the EdT stays well over 24 hours!

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Nu is a surprisingly old-fashioned scent, oozing Forties film noir femme fatale glamour. It's peppery and powdery, purring like a pussycat... Wearing it feels like wearing a silk négligé. Veronica Lake hairdo optional.

Samouraï by Alain Delon

Remarkably fresh! Just one spritz on my wrist as I was walking out to my vehicle on a cold winter night, and WHOOOOOSH! It is a very, very unique oriental fragrance. It almost seems that the chilly air amplified it. More of the floral sweetness was evident. It makes me think of a Katana blade slicing through the frigid air on a starry winter night. I purchased a half full tester bottle for a mere $4.00 at a Discount Perfumery store. Great bargain, as this fragrance is quite difficult to locate. The elegant bottle and silver colored top are really classy too. This is a fragrance collectors "best kept secret" type of fragrance. BIG thumbs up!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This scent will defenitely get you noticed. Some may say it's too strong, others will notice you for it's powerful scent. It just captures your attention whether you want it to or not. First day of wearing it, I received five compliments, four ladies and one male. All liked it. This one's a keeper.

Envy for Men by Gucci

I just bought this one yesterday and immediately put it to use. I wore it to work and immediately received compliments from two female co-workers. When they asked what I was wearing they marveled at the name, "Envy." Just saying it, sounds sophisticated.

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

One of my first fragrances. Strong. The only word that can be used to describe it. Although if applied in small amounts, it can smell just right. Those who are into clean, light smelling fragrances, must stay away from this one. Those who have a different taste and are looking to get a reaction, good and bad, should give it a spin.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Unable to find the real fragrance I wanted, Polo Sport, I went with this one instead. While it is much stronger than Sport, omce it settles down, it leaves a nice crisp pine scent. Maybe the pine scent comes through more than I'd like it to, but a great scent nonetheless.

Life Essence by Fendi

Very typical of the time it was launched, aquatic, clean,citrusy...BUT when the base middle notes begin to develop you have a warm almost oriental drydown!!Unpredictable..

Santemon's avatar

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

This is one of those scents I love to wear constantly and enjoy repeatedly smelling. The initial soft citrus notes seem to me tinged with a slight saltiness which I find really appealing. Then a sweetness with the hints of basil and mint and a soft wooden glow at the end. While not long lasting in terms of trumpeting itself, you will still have this scent with you for quite a few hours after the initial sprays. This is not a bold and bracing citrus, but a glowing and soft one, reminding me not of the blazing sun, but of dappled light as you walk through orchards and groves, crushing basil and mint underfoot and feeling the wood radiating the summer heat around you. An essential tonic for your collection.

Santemon's avatar

Endymion by Penhaligon's

This is a lovely scent which deserves to be more popular. It is very easy to wear with an initial spicy freshness which is not citrussy at all. The cologne then develops a soft sweetness which evolves into slightly headier but never overwhelming notes of leather and musk. A scent which develops and lingers and refreshingly does not beat you over the head with its notes and hidden depths. I had thought it a scent for evening wear, but the more often I use it the more versatile it seems to me.

Touch for Men by Burberry

The only fragrance I know that has violet and I don't hate...I used to wear it a couple of years ago but I must admitt didn't get very good comments when I was wearing it...You could say it's a much lighter version of Fahrenheit...lightly musky

09th January, 2004

Effusion for Him by Iceberg

I like this. As Ruslan said, the grapefruit note is prominent. It's a bit softer and more sweet smelling than others in its category. Not as "tarty". It could last a bit longer, but since I got it cheap, I'll give it the green thumb.

10th January, 2004

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

If you want to smell like an antique wardrobe or like rotten roots, you will like this sent!

11th January, 2004