Fragrance Reviews from October 2004

Signature pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

I smelt the scent from the bottle and firstly thought it was a bit common. After spreding it on my skin and waiting one or two minutes, It dried down wonderfully!! I felt cosy and warm!!! And the Incense note drove me crazy!
    It's a Magnificent fragrance!! I passed all day long sniffing my wrists!!!

renoles's avatar

Opôné by Diptyque

My first Diptyque fragrance and I'm amazed. Roses in a very masculine blend. I've tried a couple of other "masculine" rose blends but this one beats them all. Very dressy and mature. I'm wearing it during the day in business dress clothes and it's very appropriate. I could absolutely see this at night or for a formal event.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

TL pour Lui by Ted Lapidus

TL pour Lui is one of my favourite scents: interesting, quite unique, not annoyingly strong, but with great sillage and longevity. It’s amazing that so few Basenoters seem to be wearing it, or be interested in it!
    The note that hits me first is that of a ripe fruit. I have a hard time identifying it, but it could be Catawba grapes - rich and full, but light at the same time. Could this be the orange flower and bergamot? Fortunately I don't get the pungent bergamot of Lapidus pour Homme. The vanilla in Pour Lui gives it a gourmand feeling…it reminds me of Cadbury's Chocolate Crisp.
    TL Pour Lui is so special to me that I avoid wearing it too often. I don’t want to burn out on it…want to be able to keep on distinguishing all those great notes. This fragrance has powerful sillage, but that doesn’t mean it floods and turns off this wearer’s olfactory receptors like some other products do. I can smell it on myself the whole day. But I won't wear it for two successive days.
    Although I've only tested Rochas Man, I believe Pour Lui has quite a lot in common with it. My next buy is going to be Rochas Man.

08 October, 2004 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2008)

Uilleann_Pipes's avatar

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

This was one of my first experiences with Trumper's colognes. I use their shaving creams regualarly but had never ventured into the colognes. Eucris was given to me as a tester by a retailer and what a gift it was! I love this scent. I'm not an experienced hand with scent notes so will just give my gut reactions. First, this a MAN'S scent. Boys needn't apply. It would be out of place on a 20 something. At least I think so. It's rich, has many layers and notes and is quite intoxicating on application. The dry down is superb with a cornucopia of notes coming through. Finally, it settles into a mildly spicy and cleanish smelling scent. It screams class and gentelmanly behavior. A superb fragrance.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Absolutely fabulous, unique sent! Just make feel good!

09 October, 2004 (Last Edited: 17 October, 2004)

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I simply love this fragrance! It was created with passion, love, hate, it is like a tranquility, will put you on the right mood!

knightowl's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

This is the ORIGINAL "black"....'nuff said!!

mgarisbn's avatar

Figaro Lanvin by Lanvin

Well, I THINK this is one of Ladylonestar's favorite, men's fragrances from the past. It sounds fabulous, and LadyL. said it reminded her of Braggi, which reminded people I know, of Eau Sauvage, so FIGARO has got to be a fantastic scent . . . why are they always discontinued?

tigert's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

I recieved this as a gift and my first impression of it was really bad, it smells putrid coming out of the bottle, but once it stays on my skin for a while it starts smelling really good. This one has really grown on me, its a complex and intruiging scent thats very masculine and stands out from the overdone citrus that most other guys are wearing. I will definately purchase more when I run out, especially since its so inexpensive!

mitchnorton's avatar

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

I am surprised to see so many negative comments. My own experience with this cologne has been far more akin to Konrad's. Admittedly, it is a very (perhaps overbearingly) masculine scent, but that is one of the things I like about it -- far too many fragrances seem like women's perfume packaged in men's cologne bottles. My current girlfriend can't get enough of this scent. She makes a point of burying her face into me and telling me how good I smell every single time I wear it.

11th October, 2004

suncheese's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Jil Sander Man Pure (new) by Jil Sander

This one is for those who like ECHO or TOMMY T type of fragrances. Fresh, clean, ozonic with lightwoods basenote.

11th October, 2004

deaconford's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

this scent is truly unique.Doesn't jump out yellin at you,but it gets the point across. My wife doesnt like it,and she's just about the only one who dont.

deaconford's avatar

Façonnable Homme by Façonnable

It's an OK fragrance, not the best, but not the lowest puppy on the pole.

levannah's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I finally bought Apres l'Ondee EdT and I love it. It begins rather bitterly with anise seeds and has almost liquorice-like quality. Very old-fashoned, reminded me greatly of my Grandma (I think she must have worn this when I was little). Then appear the violets, still very old-style but cool and not overwhelming yet still a bit bitter. The heart is absolutely gorgeous: bitter-almond heliotrope played against sensuality of orris that warms it up on the skin. Ambrette seeds finish with lingerings of orris, this is my favourite part.

milamber's avatar

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I just put on some L'Artisan Ambre Extreme and i am being enveloped by a cloud of creamy, luxurious, amber. To me, this qualifies as a "special scent". Not a scent you use on the prowl or specifically to attract the opposite sex, but something that puts me in a state of mind that is close to euphoria and zen-like tranquility. Not all ambers have this effect on me. Serge Luten's Amber Sultan is a deeper amber that's penetrating while L'Occitane's Amber is sharper, more synthetic smelling. This is EDP strength and more expensive than the regular L'Artisans but definitely a must have in any collection.

Francois Blais's avatar

Homme de Grès by Grès

Yes, like Christian said, there is a citrus note lingering around throughout.
    Although there are similarities with Armani eau pour homme, Homme de Grès is darker, woodier, while Armani is brighter and has a strong spicy clove note.
    H&R classified Homme de Grès in the same family as Halston Z-14, but I never tried Z-14 so I can't judge.
    However, Perfumeworld writes:
    Homme de Gres (Men):
    1996 Parfums Gres(Silvio Denz) France
    Olfactive family:Aromatic Woody
    Olfactive description:Aromatic Citrus Aldehydic Chypre Woody
    All in all, Homme de Grès is a very refined, manly fresh chypre with dry woods, with a surprisingly long-lasting citrus top.

jbaer's avatar

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I looked around at a lot of colognes such as reaction, miracle, deep water, spark seduction and I love this new one from Issey Miyake. It also sticks around for a while without being obtrusive. Just my 2 cents....

15 October, 2004

yapper1's avatar

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

This one is both understated and long-lasting; almost a contradiction, which adds to its very English character for me. No harsh or bitter notes at all. It's a keeper for me, and I'll probably use it mostly for formalwear events.

15 October, 2004

loozmotion's avatar

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

I've had this fragrance for 3 years now an I could not be happier. I get tired of fragrances rather quickly, but this one has lasted me a while and I couldn't be happier with it.

loozmotion's avatar

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

I got this cologne the day it came out. The first week, I loved it. But the smell got really annoying after a while. I see that many of the reviews seem to be of people who bought the fragrance recently. If you really like the smell when you tested it, I wouldnt' suggest anything more than 1.7 and even that should be used sparingly.

Diesel by Diesel

It's a quite pleasant scent! I can feel some citric notes sweetened with vanilla and tonka in It. Nothing outstanding, but a good fragrance for people who don't want to spend a lot of money. Worth a try!

Mediterráneo by Antonio Banderas

Starts very citric and becomes salty when it dries down. Maybe it's my nose, or maybe it's the ginger note, but It smelt a little strong and nauseating after a while! I felt exactly as if I had just taken a sea bath... Very, very salty, though It doesn't smell bad at all...
    Only for the sea/citric lovers.

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Pure synthetic, did, try this “creation” few times; no this is the some scary-unbalanced water!

17 October, 2004

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Little sweet in the beginning, but letter becomes stable, and suitable for any accession, mostly evening!

17 October, 2004

DanS's avatar

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

Fantastic. Every few months I try and find an alternative, and I never do. It works for everything, my wife loves it and it's so easy to live in. Subtle and energetic- a great balance!

18 October, 2004

elysee's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is one of my favourite, if not THE favourite Lutens scent. It is a creamy, dark scent full of honey and various spice. It melts perfectly to body chemistry and skin.

18 October, 2004

elysee's avatar

Brit by Burberry

A juicy fresh pear combined with white almond and citrus sparkles. Very wearable. Prefer the edP

Escorpion67's avatar

Halston Z-14 by Halston

As most other reviewers here, I've worn Halston Z-14 on and off since my university days (starting back in 1985). Deep, rich, strong and long lasting, what more can you ask for? Definitely a classic by now.

hedonist's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

Great stuff! Very spicy and sensual manly scent. Great for colder wetaher or evening wear. Also makes a good nightclub scent with its tobacco like notes, it'll surely leave an impression. This is right up there with Rive Gauche as my favorite evening scent. 2 thumbs up!

Ballardbeau's avatar

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

I think it sucks.
    Sorry, but that's about as sophisticated a review I can give. It struck me as oppressive and had a very discordant note in it, much like LeMale.
    Sprayed it once and am now looking to unload it to one of its many admirers.

20th October, 2004