Fragrance Reviews from November 2004

FUBU Plush for Men by FUBU

This scent gets a lot of stick for some reason! I really like it. Settles very nicely. It does smell best after 20-30mins. Great scent!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

AMAZING! Best incense scent ever made. Period.

festusbodine's avatar

Subtil pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I have no idea why the 3 people who reviewed this product hate it so much. I LOVE it! I can't say WHY I love it, but I do. My only criticism is that it fades somewhat after 6 - 8 hours or so. But that's no a bad thing either.

Lt_Omega's avatar

Aramis Life by Aramis

Gotta agree with CIndy, this perfume is excellent and DOES atract attention from the opposite sex.
    Agassi got the taste that I respect :D

vijayagopalp's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I first didn't liked this when I tried at a local mall because of the strong top notes. After wearing this for few minutes the fragrance settles into a nice mild and natural scent which is very pleasant and manly. As I started wearing day to day it turned out to be one of my favourite. Its worth it for the price. I paid $48 for a 4.5Oz EDT. I am sure for those who like mild and smooth scent this is a good choice to look at.

's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I don't like Patchouli Patch at all. To me, it's a very hard, cold and austere musky patchouli with no warmth at all. Not at all pleasing to smell -- on my skin or from the bottle.

02 November, 2004

MadScientist's avatar

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

Excellent, light, causual. My very first impression was "melon" - watermellon or honeydew. This is Acqua di Gio with a little black pepper cracked on top. Dries to a nice woody flavor. Good for summer, office. Not a big fan of the name though.
    Jim, USA, 2004/1002

02 November, 2004

barker's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

have it already at home,looking for annother bottle for christmas present,but ist not available :-((

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain

I am a Guerlain freak but this is one I just cannot bear! Made me feel sick. To me it smells like a bad mix of mulled wine pine disinfectant :x

Kumquat Alhambra / Kumquat by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Kumquat Alhambra (Kumquat) is a light, fruity citrus fragrance that smells a lot like lemonade to me, with a dry down of limeade. It is very much a simple pure citrus fragrance with the smell of lemons, limes and oranges. The top notes are so light that the fragrance is hard to detect, though it does get a little stronger as it dries down when the weak white musk note shows up. The pepper eventually shows up but so lightly that it's barely there at all. Oh, and it’s also more feminine than unisex, so the fact that it’s called a men’s fragrance is way off. Overall, this fragrance lacks depth, has poor quality of notes, is poorly blended and is much too oversimplified. There are some Wal-Mart body sprays that have more depth that this one. Too fleeting, too simple and much too bland -- Kumquat Alhambra is a rare disappointment from Comptoir Sud Pacifique.
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Sweet Orange
    Middle Notes: Kumquat, Mandarin, Pineapple
    Base Notes: Pepper, White Musk

edshepp's avatar

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

Admittedly, the bottle is ridiculous. Ditto for the ad campaign. And it is extremely floral, intense and some might say cloying. I happen to like it, but I can see why others wouldn't. Don't think of Renuzit while you're smelling it.

edshepp's avatar

Realm Women by Realm Fragrances

I think this fragrance is fantastic. I love the candy-sweet, children's aspirin/cough drop topnote, and the floral body and tangy base just make it. It's pretty strong and probably too sweet for most, but I find it incredible. Personally I doubt that the 'pheromones' in it do what they claim (increase confidence?), but the fragrance itself is pleasant enough that it doesn't matter.

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The lime peel and brazilian orange mixed with blackcurrants and oakmoss make this fragrance a delicious coctail.It fits me like a second skin I just love it.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This is delightful--like the other Annick Goutal scents I have recently tried, this is far, far away from a "department store" men's scent. It's subtle, and dries down quickly, but seems to have OK staying power. This and LV Dilmun have been two great recent purchases for me in the Citrus category.

Eau de Lavande by Annick Goutal

This is an unusual and interesting lavender, and is the only one I keep in my wardrobe. No sweetness at all. Like other Annick Goutal scents, it doesn't have a lot of staying power on me, but its subtlety is part of its charm. I use this for evening wear--if I wore it during the workday I would need to reapply.

03 November, 2004 (Last Edited: 26 November, 2004)

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

This and other Annick Goutal scents I own (Lavande, Hadrien) are not long-lasting, and seem to require at least two layered applications. That said, they are sophisticated and fun, and I will certainly retain them in my "keepers." Eau de Sud has surprises beneath its citrus presence, and is a good scent for me for work/daytime.

03 November, 2004 (Last Edited: 24 November, 2004)

Aqua Allegoria Lemon-Fresca by Guerlain

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Lemon Fresca is a powdery, musky citrus scent with a light woody base that smells like nothing else out there. The bergamot note puts me off with this one. It also has a note in it that smell a lot like a citronella candle, which I don't care for either. The dry down becomes strong of wood with a light fig note fig. The combo of lemon blossom, anise and fig wood ends up smelling very powdery, feminine and somewhat old fashioned. I've never smelled a fragrance made for a baby, but it must smell like this. I do not care for it.
    Notes: Bergamot, Lime, Lemon Blossom, Fig Tree Wood and Leaves, Anise, Musk, Amber

kernman's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

wow...I love this stuff. Its a little bright at first and then drys down to a nice red pepper.....enjoy.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Mild but macho meander,
    Agua, Agua Lavanda!

Naitch's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Great impression of this new cologne and very pleased with it. This is a great, non-offensive scent with initial hints of citrus and final hints of patchouli and musk. Long lasting (over 4 to 5 hours in conjunction with the aftershave). This fragrance has been released and is available at most major department stores.

subboo's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

i give it a two thumbsup rating.

axel's avatar

Ébène by Pierre Balmain

An overwhelming composition of dark woods, oriental spice, santal and musk, that used to be my singature fragrance in the 80¹s, when it was launched.
    So strong and longlasting, that it’s more like a hit in face when you first encounter it - like a male but even stronger version of POISON from Dior.
    An absolutely outstanding fragrance, that screams „Attention!!!!!!“ where ever you appear!!
    Not so much suiteable for the very sporty or younger men and it definitly requires a touch of class and a certain attitude to wear.
    Still avialable in selected perfume stores in France, when I was there in March 2004.

05 November, 2004 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2004)

Index Fig Apricot by Fresh

Fig Apricot is a great fruity, fig and musk fragrance from the people at Fresh. The apricot is distinct, the fig note is potent but not too much so, and it's rounded off with a nice, light green tea note. It is wears a little more transparent than most from Fresh, but it is still there even if you cannot smell it strongly. For a fruity take on a fig fragrance or if you'd like a fig fragrance that isn't so in your face like Philosykos, try Fig Apricot. At times it smells a little like an apricot peach roll up. It's very nice.
    Top Notes: Turkish Apricot, Peach Skin, Lychee
    Middle Notes: Fig Leaf, Petitgrain, Dandelion
    Base Notes: Green Tea, Musc, Marine Notes

Index Pomegranate Anise by Fresh

Pomegranate Anise is another great fruity masterpiece from Fresh. It is very bright, crisp and fruity with strong notes of grapefruit and pomegranate, with lovely fresh freesia and lily notes that really lighten it up and a seedy star anise, warm amber and sandalwood dry down. This is one of Fresh's best. It is very much a sharp, fresh grapefruit & pomegranate fragrance. I love it.
    Top Notes: Grapefruit, Mandarin, Pomegranate
    Middle Notes: Chinese Lily, Spring Magnolia, Freesia
    Base Notes: Amber, Star Anise, Sandalwood

Index Red Currant Basil by Fresh

Redcurrant Basil is yet another hit from the people at Fresh. The luscious fruits are what dominate this fragrance and the pomegranate note is just wonderful. I've never smelled the likes of this one. The top notes smell very tropical to me while the dry down is very clean, fresh, warm and musky. Many notes stand out in Redcurrant Basil and mix wonderfully together as this is such a wonderfully well-blended fragrance. Fruits, leaves, basil, rose and warm musk -- this one is awesome! I'm beginning to fall in love with Fresh!
    Top Notes: Italian Lemon, Kumquat, Moroccan Basil
    Middle Notes: Turkish Rose, Pomegranate, Redcurrant Leaf
    Base Notes: Warm Musc, Cedarwood, Rosewood

Index Patchouli Pure by Fresh

Patchouli Pure is the most amazing mix of fruity citrus, light spices and patchouli fragrance. This is one of the best bergamot fragrances I have yet found. It includes lush citrus fruits and berries and light yet rich spices, with a sweet and clean musky base. I am amazed at how good this one is. Though filled with sweet notes like vanilla, amber, tonka and musk, Fresh Patchouli Pure is surprisingly fresh and clean smelling. The patchouli note is a very clean and not extremely earthy or dirty as some patchouli notes can be. The sweet notes blossom after it dries down for about 15 minutes and they seem to magnify the cinnamon note nicely. Pick this one up for sure.
    Top Notes: Ginger, Bergamot, Orange
    Middle Notes: Patchouli, Cinnamon, Pimento Berry
    Base Notes: Vanilla, Amber, Tonka, Musc

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau by L'Artisan Parfumeur

La Haie Fleurie du Hameau is a lovely, fresh mix of white florals and watery green notes with a touch of sweetness. It has a dominant sweet honeysuckle note that I just love mixed with the strong blast of jasmine. Ladies, this is a spring flower fragrance that you must get. I like it a lot because it retains its flowerbed smell while adding a titch of sweetness, but not too much, as some other feminine florals tend to do. The oakmoss in the dry down is a little too dark for such a delicate, white floral fragrance, and they clash a touch, but it is still a great fragrance. It lasts forever too.
    Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Wisteria, Tuberose, Narcissus, Hyacinth, White Lily, Oakmoss and Vanilla

Jacinthe des Bois by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Jacinthe de Bois is a delicate, fresh, innocent white floral that smells very mature to me. It also has a sharp wood note in it that smells like a mix of hay and sawdust and smells extremely medicinal, which is VERY off putting. The hyacinth note is very pure and smells like a front yard flowerbed. This white floral is too heady and sharp and smells much too mature for my personal tastes. It's surely for the 40+ y.o. crowd. If you want hyacinth, get the slightly sweeter and less cloying La Haie Fleurie du Hameau instead.

BradtheImpaler's avatar

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Trying it for the first time as I write this. Fresh out of the bottle 10 minutes ago one word came immediately to mind - CELERY...it smells exactly like celery. (Some nicer subtleties are beginning to emerge now...but it still basically smells like celery)

06 November, 2004

D_mcrae's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

A litle bit strong at first but once it develops, its amazing

06 November, 2004