Fragrance Reviews from November 2004

D_mcrae's avatar

Franck Oliver by Franck Oliver

Franck Oliver I believed is also called Montecristo Habana which is what I have, I am not sure what all the notes are but htere is bergamot, coriander ,tobbaco.and others, the scent is very distinctive, there is strong leather note that is mixed with tobacco and some sort of liquer. it kind reminds me a bit of fendi oumo,but I think its better, its very refined, smells like it should be very expensive..hard to find..if anyone is interested I have an extra bottle sill in the box! let me know if intersted

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

This fragrance is a true classic! It has a delightful smell of talcum and spices!!Very masculine, perfect for evening wearing. A winner!
    And long,long lasting!!!

tigert's avatar

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

I must agree with the other reviewers, this scent is underrated and a great value. Its also a pretty unique scent and very few people wear it. I would have never thought to try it but someone on another board recommended it and it was on sale at sephora so I picked some up and I have been quite pleased. Some of the notes remind me of Hugo, but I like this scent much more than Hugo. It works well in the workplace or any casual situation and the ladies seem to love it too, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Connoisseur's avatar

Armand Basi Homme by Armand Basi

Armand Basi Homme is a very nice sweet, oriental woody-amber scent. I see a slight similarity to Gucci Envy, but I would say it compares more with Must de Cartier only woodier. Not only do they smell very similar but they also both do not project very well and wear very close to ones skin, which I personally dislike in a fragrance. The spices, tonka bean and vanilla do give it a ginger snap cookie smell that blends exquisitely with the various wood notes, while the guaiacwood gives it a dark, dry wood dry down that is somewhat unexpected but nice. It smells great. I only wish it didn't wear so lightly, but I still have to give it a thumbs up.

En's avatar

FCUK Him by French Connection

fcuk= French Connection United Kingdom. I think the play on the ancronym is more lame than offensive.
    Regardless, didnt like this one at all... smells like a burnt down pizza shop.

HackerX's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

absolutely stunning, best gourmand out there!

07 November, 2004 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2004)

Macarthur's avatar

Herrera for Men Refreshing Ginger by Carolina Herrera

As J August stated it is very much like the original Herrera. Though it does stand on its own longer into the day as you wear it. I'm a Herrera fan though so I'm biased when it comes to this fragrance.

MarksCarltonLane's avatar

With Love by Guerlain

Have I become so magnetized to ocean floor and core-of-the-earth scents that I've forgotten the elements of air, sunlight and flora? I credit Guerlain with sign posts and profound destinations along the endless journey to the perfect scent. I was initiated into the world of perfume when I purchased the Baccarat crystal flacon containing one ounce of Shalimar in 1978. So began my immense respect for Guerlain's matchless collection reaching back to the 18th century. As with most noses, my collection will always have requisite parfums of legendary Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue and soon-to-be-added Vol de Nuit ... and, even Jicky ... each title-winning, heavyweight championship scents. Along came 2003 and With Love. What a delicious departure from the heavyweight, knock-'em-dead, iris-jasmine-and-roses-in-thick-syrup classics! With Love is a carefree laugh of fresh cut wild roses, sparkling quince, effervescent freesia and lighthearted lily held comfortably in an ambery base with warm whispers of cedar and sandalwood. This is a spring afternoon spread on a picnic pallet listening to symphonic music such as Handel's Water Music, indulging in a pear-flavored Chardonnay and offering some delectable cheese on crackers to your lover or significant other. And lots of non-verbal language. Because With Love speaks for you.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Jil Sander Man Pure (new) by Jil Sander

I agree completely with the review BELOW. This is not even close to the kind of quality, you've come to expect from Jil Sander. It's COMPLETELY different that the ORIGINGAL Jil Sander PURE. Don't waste your money.

sarj's avatar

Just Cavalli Him by Roberto Cavalli

Starts off like something akin to Zegna, then dries down to the notes that remind me of Zanzibar (the ginger). I would find it wearable, non-unique scent. Its the kind of scent that I like, and would hope to get as a gift since I own both Zegna and Equus ;-)

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel was my first real, true love- a love that lasted for seven years, in fact. The soft, candied sweet topnotes, the sensuous chocolate-patchouli drydown. I though I'd found the one. But then I began to find Angel everywhere, in every cafe, meeting me on every street corner. Angel's love was a little too freely given. So I had to let Angel go. I still do long for Angel at times, but I know that it happiest making others happy, not just me and me alone.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Very powdery, antiquey rose. Similar to Chanel No. 5-her naughty little sister who, in an ttempt to be 'grown-up,' wears a little too much blusher and stays out all night. Not for me. However, fabulous packaging.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

I wore Opium when I was 18 (imagine!). To the relief of everyone around me, I assume, I stopped wearing it around 19. I avoided it and actually detested it for years, but recently made the acquaintance of a chic lady who wears it quite well. So, though I still cannot wear this, I no longer wish a black hoodoo hex on anyone else who wears it.

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Hmmm, I first tried the body cream of Nu and it was *ok,* then months later I tried the perfume. Black stockings lingering of strong perfume and perspiration. This may get some going, but not my idea of sexy.

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Clair de Musc began for me with what I call the dreaded 'hairspray note' found in so many musk perfumes I have tried. It was not remarkable or what I expected. But I decided to let it linger and see what happened. As time passed it became softer, a bit more rounded. Later still the floral notes became more pronounced. Finally I was left with a wisp, a faint trace of the cleanest, sweetest scent. Very nice.

CoL's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

This is another womens scent that can easily pass as unisex. Absolutely STUNNING scent. Egyptian musk base. I don't normally like musk scents but this is incredible!

Darkbloom's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

This is really nice. It doesn't smell like the Japanese incense I know, but it does have sort of the pine smell of the ink used in Japanese calligraphy. A beautiful "green" incense. Others complain that it is short-lived, but I experience many hours of a gorgeous, unfolding drydown.

Docwinters's avatar

1903 by J Peterman

I hope that nobody reads this. Why, you ask? Because, I have "discovered" one of the most complex, interesting, powerful, and intoxicating scents currently being sold. I have obviously not tried them all, but have tried many over the years and have owned more than enough to justify this lofty opinion. Beyond that, whenever I wear 1903, people (women in particular!) stop me cold and ask (demand would describe the experience better) for the name of what I'm wearing. Usually and reluctantly, I'll give up my little secret and tell 'em! 1903 is only available from J. Peterman's online website, period. It is not discounted anywhere. It really is unique and long-lasting. No hyperbole is necessary. The base notes refuse to disappear on my body and clothes even 24 hours later. This despite calling itself a cologne. It represents Peterman's approach to fashion and style perfectly, assuming you know what that is! It is also available in a complimentary after shave balm and incredible shave cream. All products are not cheap, but priced fairly. I freely confess to taking a modicum of satisfaction from the thought that I possess something special that few others even know about, let alone own. That however, is also incredibly selfish. So now, the cat is out of the bag. Only now, someone will actually have to read this first!

incedal's avatar

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Been a big fan of L'eau D Issey, i was expecting a great smell, to my surprise i hated this one, it reminds of a bubble gum, if you liked the L'eau D Issey dont expect much from this one.

Matze's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

This one is terrible, it is to sweet and pestilent. The design of the bottle is nice. But this doesn´t help.
    By Matze Germany, Aschaffenburg

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Jacomo de Jacomo by Jacomo

This fragrance is not for everyone.
    If you like scents like ck one, cool water, acqua di gio etc. this is not for you.
    It's not sweet at all and there's a ton of clove in it! Pretty agressive when you spray it.
    when It dries down, the smell becomes more subtil but the cloves are still there...
    It's a polemic fragrance: some love it, some hate it. I particularly enjoy classic fragrances,
    but this one is too strong in my opinion!
    I like it after one, two hours after spraying and I wear it with caution,
    because It can harm people's nostrils...

yapper1's avatar

Rose Poivrée by Different Company

This is a strong, pure rose scent; the pepper and other notes serve to emphasize its predominant rose nature. My wife said it was "subtle;" I don't agree. It's definitely unusual and, I think, assertive.

CoL's avatar

Fluid Man by Iceberg

Evil in a bottle!

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

gets the job done, especially at the price i got it for , smells like desire red.

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

very nice. Smells like jaipur by boucheron but so much cheaper, not in quality though.

Céline pour Homme by Céline

its not my number 1 fragrance, but hey i just got to work and was told twice already that i smell good.

10th November, 2004 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2004)

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Man this starts out smellin like some kind of liquor or something , and i dont even drink.But then it unfolds into something awesome and different at the same time.

Connoisseur's avatar

Fluid Man by Iceberg

Fluid Man is one of the most unique and synthetic (in a nice way) designer fragrance I've yet tried, but from what I’ve read it is extremely sensitive to body chemistry as many men dislike this one on themselves. Not true at all in my case. On me this fragrance is divine and is to this day still my second most complemented fragrance next to Creed Millesime Imperial. Fluid Man begins very hot and spicy with fresh, white floral undertones, becoming woodier as it dries down, with a thick, dark mix of wood, patchouli and oakmoss notes. The amber and honey notes lend a good deal of sweetness to the dark woods mix after about 15 minutes. It is very full fragrance mixing many diverse notes and is a shade away from being one of those fragrances that goes in too many directions at once, and almost clashes, but doesn't. It is strange because it is a very "perfumy" yet manly fragrance, reminding me of layering a highly feminine sweet, floral fragrance with a highly masculine wood and oakmoss fragrance. The dry down reminds me a little of a toned down version of Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet Man (shares notes of honey, amber and moss).

Top Notes
    Grapefruit, Mandarin, Lemon, Bergamot, Freesia, Magnolia

Middle Notes
    Cardamom, Nutmeg, Tobacco, Amber, Honey

Base Notes
    Patchouli, Oakmoss, Javan Vetiver, Ebony, Beech, Texas Cedar

11th November, 2004

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Saw it around for years on end , but never liked the cheesy looking bottle.GOT OVER that and im glad i did. Exellent cologne that has definately withstood the test of time. 2thumbs up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

11th November, 2004 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2004)

Destiny by Harley-Davidson

Very different scent, but not in abad way ,when iwant to avoid the norm destiny is what i put on.

11th November, 2004